It is currently Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Randy's Music From Quiet Riot To Ozzy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:00 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Here's an old thread I did that I feel is worth bringing back. It's pieces of music Randy played in his Quiet Riot material that he later used in his work with Ozzy.

(Compiled and presented by Ironface166 at http://www.randyrhoads.tk)

You Looking At Me, Looking At You-Most of the song is taken from the QR song “Kiss Of Death” (unrealesed) and the solo is most of the solo from “Breaking Up Is A Heartache”. There is also a part in YLAMLAY (2:36-2:39) that is taken from the second solo in “Face To Face” (4:20-4:23) off QRII and there is the intro from "Eye for an Eye" (QR II) which is part of the outro fade of YLAMLAY.

You Said It All-The intro sounds similar to “You Drive Me Crazy” off QRII, though not exactly the same.

Crazy Train-The intro with the drums and chords (live) are taken from a part of Randy’s spotlight solo during “Laughing Gas” live.

Crazy Train-While this is not a bit of Randy music, the effect in the intro of "Crazy Train" after Ozzy says "I-I-I"-a vibraslap-was also used in the demo for "One In A Million" a few times. Could be a coincidence or Randy could have suggested it as he had used it in a song before.

Goodbye To Romance-The last part of the song was used in Randy’s spotlight solo during “Laughing Gas” live and also "Teenage Anthem".

Dee-Most of it was played during Randy’s spotlight solo during “Laughing Gas” live.

Suicide Solution-The main riff was taken and slightly changed from the verse riff of “Force Of Habit” (originally un-released, but now on “QR-The Randy Rhoads Years” CD).

Suicide Solution Live Spotlight Solo- There are a few pieces taken from his “Laughing Gas” live spotlight solo, but also a piece from the first solo in “Face To Face” (QRII) at the 2:37-2:40 mark.

Mr. Crowley-Parts were taken from some versions of Randy’s spotlight solo during “Laughing Gas” live on occasion.

Revelation:Mother Earth-This song the solo was lifted after the recording of “Blizzard Of Ozz” and used in a version of “Laughing Gas” at a QR reunion gig in May of 1980. Also a part of the Revelation solo (5:33-5:35 I think) is from “Trouble” (QRII version) at 3:31-3:33.

Steal Away (The Night)- The main riff comes from Randy's teaching days where he used it as a practice riff for his students. The riffs after the solo come from the end of “Breaking Up Is A Heartache” after Kevin’s sings the last words “ breaking up is a heartache for me”.

Flying High Again-A part right before Randy’s tapping sequence in the solo (2:30-2:33) is taken from the second solo in “Face To Face” (4:13-4:16) off QR II.

You Can’t Kill Rock And Roll-Kevin Dubrow has said that there is a part from “You Drive Me Crazy” (QRII) in this song, but I have not been able to nail it down. :?

You Can't Kill Rock And Roll-At the 3:18-3:21 mark of the song (during 1st solo), there is a lick that is very similar to the one in the solo from "Ravers" (2:33-2:36) off Quiet Riot I.

Believer-Randy's guitar sounds during the intro were taken from some live versions of an intro to "Slick Black Cadillac" that was used in 78-79.

Little Dolls-There's a lick at the 5:11 mark that is the same as the one from "Trouble (Quiet Riot II) at 1:11.

Little Dolls-There's a short lick at 5:18 that is the same as the one in Randy's version of "AfterGlow (Of Your Love)" at 2:12,off Quiet Riot II (and on Quiet Riot:The Randy Rhoads Years").

SATO-There is a lick that Randy used (1:59-2:01) that is a similar and sped-up version of the intro lick to “We’ve Got The Magic” (0:01-0:07) off QR II, though in a different key.

SATO-The very last seconds of the song (4:01-4:06) where Randy hits the chords simultaneously with the drums and bass, you'll find the same arrangement opening the first 10 seconds of "Trouble" off Quiet Riot II.

Last edited by ironface166 on Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:00 pm 

Its cool to see this thread back. I haven't seen it in a while. :wink: Another song I noticed is on "Force of Habit," the beginning sounds a bit like "No Bone Movies," just slowed down, and without as much flash.

Post subject: Re: Randy's Music From Quiet Riot To Ozzy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:50 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

ironface166 wrote:
You Can’t Kill Rock And Roll-Kevin Dubrow has said that there is a part from “You Drive Me Crazy” (QRII) in this song, but I have not been able to nail it down. :?

I didn't notice that either until I read that Kevin interview. But he's right, Randy used very similar chordsin both songs...except he plays them at a different position on YCKR&R to get an extra note. And I believe he uses some licks from the YDMC solo for the song too. Both are killer songs...two of my Randy favs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:22 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Cool thread.
Also Slick Black Cadillac's intro kind of mirrors the intro to Believer. I do believe that Ironface mentioned that comparison a while back when he first put this topic up. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:41 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Rhoads25 wrote:
Also Slick Black Cadillac's intro kind of mirrors the intro to Believer. I do believe that Ironface mentioned that comparison a while back when he first put this topic up. :wink:

:oops: OMG, I can't believe that wasn't on there. :lol: I must not have used the most current update file I had. Thanks for reminding me! :D I added it in there . :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:48 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

!st time I've seen this!! I always noticed parts of the old QR stuff wound up on Ozzy songs here and there.Good to see some one take the time and transcribe it all.I've heard alot of what was listed and didn't realize there was this much!! Very cool.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:02 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Here's another. Listen to the very last seconds of SATO (4:01-4:06) where Randy hits the chords simultaeously with the drums/bass and you'll find the arrangement came from the first 10 seconds of "Trouble" off Quiet Riot II.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:32 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Ironface166, you never cease to amaze me!!! Your knowledge of metal is astounding.I wished I knew half of what you do.Thanks for all the input on this forum.You would be sorely missed if you weren't here.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:34 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

bowtie wrote:
Ironface166, you never cease to amaze me!!! Your knowledge of metal is astounding.I wished I knew half of what you do.Thanks for all the input on this forum.You would be sorely missed if you weren't here.......

:oops: Thanks. I do what I can and share what I know. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:23 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Here's a few more:

"Crazy Train"-While not a piece of Randy's music, the effect used in the intro for "Crazy Train" after Ozzy says "I-I-I" (sounds like a dead alarm clock. Hard to describe. :lol: ) was also used in the demo for "One In A Million" a couple of times. Coincidence or maybe Randy suggested it as he had used it before.

"You Can't Kill Rock And Roll"-There is a lick at the 3:18-3:21 mark (during the first solo) that is very similar to the one used in "Ravers" (Off "Quiet Riot I") during the solo at 2:33-2:36.

Des found these two on "Little Dolls". :wink:

"Little Dolls"-There's a short lick at 5:18 that is the same as the one Randy did on his version of "Afterglow(Of Your Love)" at 2:12 on "Quiet Riot II" and "QR:The Randy Rhoads Years".

"Little Dolls"-There's a lick at 5:12 that is the same as the one on "Trouble" at 1:11 off "Quiet Riot II" and "QR:The Randy Rhoads Years"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:45 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Great ears guys!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:05 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Interesting thread. The 'dead alarm clock' is called a Vibra-slap. You can pick one up at your local student music store...lol! It still amazes me to this day how different QR music was from Ozzy stuff. Whereas QR was more pop and major driven, Ozzy was definetely dark and minor/phyrigian mode sounding. Randy called it "Doom music". Goes to show you Randys true talent as an accomplished musician with an excellent knowledge of theory. The guy was genius. Recycling riffs and licks is something I think every guitarist/songwriter does. Can you imagine what the unused material sounds like?? The intro of 'You Said It All" (Mr Crowley Picture Disc Live B-side) ended up being the turnaround in front of the chorus for 'You Cant Kill Rock and Roll'. I also just heard a song supposedly from Bark at the Moon called "Spiders in the Dark" that didnt make the record....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:19 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

6StringSting wrote:
I also just heard a song supposedly from Bark at the Moon called "Spiders in the Dark" that didnt make the record..

Yeah, "Spiders" was actually on the original UK version of "Bark At The Moon" and was floating around forever till they finally put it on one of the "Bark At The Moon" re-issues in the 90's and then again on the "Prince Of Darkness" box set, most recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:20 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

bowtie wrote:

Ditto! Great post anthony, thanks for bringing it back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:56 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Quote:
Goodbye To Romance-The last part of the song was used in Randy’s spotlight solo during “Laughing Gas” live.

This is true. If you listen very carefully to 'Set Me Free', you'll see that's what GtR really is. I never realized this until I sat down to learn SMF a couple weeks ago, and I don't think it's obvious just by listening to it because he mixes things up a bit.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:53 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

6StringSting wrote:
It still amazes me to this day how different QR music was from Ozzy stuff. Whereas QR was more pop and major driven, Ozzy was definetely dark and minor/phyrigian mode sounding.

Very well put 6String. :wink: It also amazes me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:26 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I know that this is QR to Ozzy but i was listening to S.A.T.O. and in one of the solos (2:06-2:12) its sounds a little like a part the COTG solo. anybody else notice this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:01 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Can't say this hasn't happened before. Iommi recycled a few riffs now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:22 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Ya but i'm talking about Randy :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:01 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Great post!!!! Thanks a million for taking the time to do this :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:49 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanx for the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:41 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Way to go IronFace. great info.

Hey whats up Randy Rhoads fans! I Love Randy, He Was A God In The Midst Of Mortals. Randy Played from the Heart and That is why he was and always will be the best guitarist. I only dream of one day seeing him when i am dead (haha).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:09 am 
BANNED

Dont laugh at me for saying this, but when you the intro to Ravers, I thought it sounded like part of the Freebird solo in a different key. The very introduction. I might be wrong, i might be thinking of another song :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:42 am 
BANNED

At the end of Goodbye To Romance you can hear the end or Dee..Well i haven't checked the studio version but its on Tribute

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:45 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

skezza wrote:
Dont laugh at me for saying this, but when you the intro to Ravers, I thought it sounded like part of the Freebird solo in a different key. The very introduction. I might be wrong, i might be thinking of another song :D

The intro to ravers always reminded me of batman. I'm not sure why...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:31 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Location: Georgia, USA, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, the Universe
On the 10-25-79 Starwood show, Randy plays a little bit of the intro to Steal Away in the intro to Laughing Gas.

"Come BIG or don't come at all. :cool:" - Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:01 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Maybe this is a piece of Kevin Dubrow-music and not a piece of Randy-music, but is there anyone else that thinks that the verse in "The Winner Takes All" on Condition Critical reminds you of "Teenage Anthem"?
And isnt there some piece's in "Teenage Anthem" that ende up on "Thunderbird"?

http://www.bloodspirit.tk
http://www.swedishunderground.cjb.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:37 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Nima wrote:
Maybe this is a piece of Kevin Dubrow-music and not a piece of Randy-music, but is there anyone else that thinks that the verse in "The Winner Takes All" on Condition Critical reminds you of "Teenage Anthem"?
And isnt there some piece's in "Teenage Anthem" that ende up on "Thunderbird"?

Most of "Winner Takes All" is taken from "Teenage Anthem" (intro especially) and was written by Randy. He didn't recieve a credit on the initial release of "Condition Critical", by later did on the CD releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:50 am 

You will also notice that Randy's live intro guitar part for Crazy Train is just like the ending of the solo he did for "Face to Face" on Quiet Riot 2. Actually it pretty much is the same thing. Give it a listen.

Good topic Ironface! I get such a kick when I'm listening to QR1 or 2 and suddenly recognize little bits and pieces that you know he will use later with Ozzy. It always puts such a smile on my face! I don't know why, but it does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:20 pm 

Great topics, Ironface. I was just listening to "QR-Rhoads Years" this week and picking out the little bits here and there that would surface on Ozzy albums. Nie to see a list all in one place!