It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 30th Anniversary Coming Up
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:42 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I hope to see some of you at the 30th anniversary. i am 15 years old and idolize randy rhoads as high as god the father. Seriously. he is amazing and this is my one chance to meet his family, friends and fans! Maybe just maybe, video will come out for the anniversary of not just his tragic passing, but the 25th anniversary of the 1987 album, tribute. what do you think? Who thinks footage? Who doesn't think footage? I think if we are ever going to get footage, this is the time. I am dying for live video with him and ozzy. i look forward to your responses. *r*

Post subject: Re: 30th Anniversary Coming Up
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:28 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

I gotta be honest. As far as footage I am extremely sceptical of any coming out this month/year for the 30th anniversay because they just hit us with unseen footage a year ago with the boxset. I don't know how they would package any now even if they did have some. I mean there's been no word of the O's talking about reissuing "Tribute" or anything. Make no mistake, I would love to get some though! :lol:
We'll be getting plenty of Randy in the two books about to come out and probbaly some Quiet Riot footage in the QR documentary though it may just be cleaned up first generation of alot of stuff we've seen over the years. But ya never know. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:13 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ironface166 wrote:
I gotta be honest. As far as footage I am extremely sceptical of any coming out this month/year for the 30th anniversay because they just hit us with unseen footage a year ago with the boxset. I don't know how they would package any now even if they did have some. I mean there's been no word of the O's talking about reissuing "Tribute" or anything. Make no mistake, I would love to get some though! :lol:
We'll be getting plenty of Randy in the two books about to come out and probbaly some Quiet Riot footage in the QR documentary though it may just be cleaned up first generation of alot of stuff we've seen over the years. But ya never know. :D

After reading the section about the two new books in the latest issue of Guitar World, I was really pumped up. It sounds like most of the stuff in the Randy Rhoads coffee table book was material that was going to be used in the doc. Both books will be $100.00 each or $150.00 for both. Obviously it's cheaper to buy the two together. I'm sure both will be very cool. It's like buying a boxed set all over again. :lol:

I'm a little surprised they didn't include more Randy in Guitar World for this March. There's a shitload of Van Halen material throughout. The new VH album is going to be floating around for a while, so they could have postponed that for next issue. The story about how Randy hooked up with Ozzy is in much more detail and quite interesting ... a bit more truthful. I enjoyed it, but was left wanting more. The pull-out poster is just a photoshoped image, very grainy looking. I enjoyed the Classic Rock issue more. More photos and copy for the buck. Plus, Classic Rock has a new unseen photo of the family on the couch together. I'm guessing Christmas. Looks like some gifts on the coffee table.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:35 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

At least we got what we got. there should have been more of Randy though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:48 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

To be honest, I didn't expect much Randy in the March issue of Guitar World just because it is marks another decade of his death. (Does Jimi get them? :? ) I mean Randy gets a fair share of coverage in Guitar World and has even had a few special edition issues in the mag and Guitar Legends. I'd say that Randy, Eddie, Dimebag and Metallica have had the most cover storys (or at least coverage) in the magazine. The Van Halen coverage is to coincide with the first album with Roth in 28 years and their tour and that is major current news (of course they would have had an interview but VH is being press-wary at this point). Had it not been for the books coming out (a Guitar World distribution exclusive) I don't think there would have been barely a mention of Randy, sadly. The Dana Strum interview is a exerpt from the Rosen/Klein book. But hey, cover story or not, he still got in there and a poster too so I can't see much problem with that. But the great news is that Randy is getting alot of coverage this early in the year already in several magazines and with the books coming up, it'll be a great year for us. (BTW-whan was the last time anybody saw even a mention of Randy in the mag that started it all, Guitar Player? Seems like since that 1982 cover story/feature he has been criminally ignored. :evil: )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:00 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I really hope it will be a good year. Think about the beginning of the doam tour. They have three tv stations that advertised the diary tour before the tour even started. There has got to be at least one diary show that the Osbournes have and are not giving us. And the claims of the guy who gave us the sound check footage. He says be has more and then he just dropped off the face of the earth. Andnthe debate of the "Phoenix Brothers Arizona Film" I know there is more footage of ozzy and randy. But the question is, will we ever get to see t and when?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:52 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Who knows. I do think that there is stuff we have yet to see and hear.

Last edited by Geo Sav on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:20 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I would love to see the complete versions of Mr. Crowley & Over The Mountain from the Entertainment Tonight broadcast. Wonder why that wasn't included in the boxset last year? Perhaps the O's didn't have it in their possession yet? The snippets we have seen from these 2 songs looked & sounds awesome. So far we have seen what actually aired on the original segment, the clips in the PM Documentary trailer that leaked which included a close-up of Randy playing the O.T.M. solo. Iron, do I recall you saw the complete clips? If so, can you give a little review please? Any idea why these haven't been released yet?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:54 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

guitarjoe wrote:
Iron, do I recall you saw the complete clips? If so, can you give a little review please? Any idea why these haven't been released yet?

Saw them complete. Not a full dress rehearsal that was filmed. For these dress rehersals 3 tv stations were granted access to come down and each tape 2 songs by the band as well as have a brief interview with O. All 3 were to cut down and edit their footage to a few minute segment for broadcast. Those were NBC (Two On The Town), ABC (Rock Report) and CBS (Entertainment Tonight). Was not a multi-camera shoot. They was 1 camera man and 1 sound man.

The footage starts with the Diary intro and the cameraman is at about midway back in the rehersal space to get a full shot of the stage. He zooms in on Randy behind the gates as they rise and then goes to Ozz coming out of the throne and running down the stairs. The cameraman then makes his way closer and onto the stage and films the closeups we've seen of "Over The Mountain" and "Mr. Crowley". These are the only two songs that were recorded in their entirety. There is footage of Randy and Ozz obviously not seen in the broadcast segment that was edited down for the show, BUT 90% of the time the cameraman is on Ozz as he was the big media target at the time. It gets annoying when parts of the guitar solos have the camera on Ozz while Randy is ripping, but there are some closeups of him and that is good.

Why not released? Legal red tape I'd guess. Compared to what came in the boxset of the New Mexico footage that does not compare and I wonder why that was released instead of the better footage and better view of the stage and castle and Randy. So it can't be a "Ozzy voice was bad so the O's don't want it released" or else the other stuff wouldn't have been in the boxset. And the rational that the family wouldn't want it (dress rehearsal) released because it was not of perfect quality or sound because, again, the NM footage was not better than the dress rehearsal. The footage stuff is all in the O's court when it comes down to what comes out and what doesn't. Reasons known only to them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:34 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I was just watching the Speak of The Devil footage and it just drives me crazy that it was the first good concert footage of the band doing a full show. But WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE AFTER WE LOST RANDY !!!!!! AAAAGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!! It just sucks that the only pro shot stuff with Randy was the after hours footage. Don't get me wrong I know we are lucky we have that, But still why did the O's have to wait so long to start recording live footage of shows. So many other bands have footage from eons ago but the O's waited until late in '82" to do it. We may have had a full video set with Randy if they had done it sooner. I know money was tight when they just started out but hey they have the Speak of the devil footage don't they!!!!!!
"Sorry guys just had to vent. Happens to me every year, Because the Anniversary is ten days before my Birthday and it bums me out that I never got to see Randy in person working his magic and all we have pro shot is After Hours. It also bothers me to see Brad wearing Randy's vest which looks stupid on him considering it's extremely to small for him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:15 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I always wondered the same thing. No videos for either album no guest appearances on any rock shows. I don't get it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:43 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Thanks for that Iron, maybe they are planning on using that footage for something else down the road if the Doc never makes it out for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:42 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ironface166 wrote:
guitarjoe wrote:
Iron, do I recall you saw the complete clips? If so, can you give a little review please? Any idea why these haven't been released yet?

Saw them complete. Not a full dress rehearsal that was filmed. For these dress rehersals 3 tv stations were granted access to come down and each tape 2 songs by the band as well as have a brief interview with O. All 3 were to cut down and edit their footage to a few minute segment for broadcast. Those were NBC (Two On The Town), ABC (Rock Report) and CBS (Entertainment Tonight). Was not a multi-camera shoot. They was 1 camera man and 1 sound man.

The footage starts with the Diary intro and the cameraman is at about midway back in the rehersal space to get a full shot of the stage. He zooms in on Randy behind the gates as they rise and then goes to Ozz coming out of the throne and running down the stairs. The cameraman then makes his way closer and onto the stage and films the closeups we've seen of "Over The Mountain" and "Mr. Crowley". These are the only two songs that were recorded in their entirety. There is footage of Randy and Ozz obviously not seen in the broadcast segment that was edited down for the show, BUT 90% of the time the cameraman is on Ozz as he was the big media target at the time. It gets annoying when parts of the guitar solos have the camera on Ozz while Randy is ripping, but there are some closeups of him and that is good.

Why not released? Legal red tape I'd guess. Compared to what came in the boxset of the New Mexico footage that does not compare and I wonder why that was released instead of the better footage and better view of the stage and castle and Randy. So it can't be a "Ozzy voice was bad so the O's don't want it released" or else the other stuff wouldn't have been in the boxset. And the rational that the family wouldn't want it (dress rehearsal) released because it was not of perfect quality or sound because, again, the NM footage was not better than the dress rehearsal. The footage stuff is all in the O's court when it comes down to what comes out and what doesn't. Reasons known only to them.

Thanks for the review Iron. Yeah, the clips we've all seen seem to be very great quality visual and audio-wise. I really like the tone he has during these performances, especially the outro solo to Crowley which plays over the credits of E.T....would love to one day see the whole Intro/Over The Mountain/Mr. Crowley performance. In my opinion this is the footage we have the best chance of seeing because it is in the O's possession (unlike the Arz Bros, which doesn't have audio anyway). Hopefully they find a way to release it in the near future.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:06 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

How much of good stuff [Randy-related] gets shelved, because of legalities etc...? I just wonder. Even little bits would be interesting; like getting 2-3 songs professionally filmed... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:15 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

guitarjoe wrote:
In my opinion this is the footage we have the best chance of seeing because it is in the O's possession (unlike the Arz Bros, which doesn't have audio anyway). Hopefully they find a way to release it in the near future.

I've never heard anything suggesting that the O's had a copy of it. Would seem hard to understand if they didn't since they went on a suppossed quest for footage back in 1987 for the "Crazy Train" video and again last year for the boxset and neither time the rehearsal showed up. But this stuff was found by the doc team.

Geo Sav wrote:
I always wondered the same thing. No videos for either album no guest appearances on any rock shows. I don't get it.

Well MYV didn't even exist until after the two albums were recorded and they did do the guest appearence on "After Hours" so that was something. The MTV concert was set to be done with Randy on the Diary tour but just later in the tour. Nobody erxpected Randy to go so soon. Just the way things ended up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:05 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ironface166 wrote:
guitarjoe wrote:
In my opinion this is the footage we have the best chance of seeing because it is in the O's possession (unlike the Arz Bros, which doesn't have audio anyway). Hopefully they find a way to release it in the near future.

I've never heard anything suggesting that the O's had a copy of it. Would seem hard to understand if they didn't since they went on a suppossed quest for footage back in 1987 for the "Crazy Train" video and again last year for the boxset and neither time the rehearsal showed up. But this stuff was found by the doc team.

I guess I just assumed that when the O's acquired the doc footage from PM & crew that the E.T. footage they uncovered would go to the O's along with that. Who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:09 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

guitarjoe wrote:
I guess I just assumed that when the O's acquired the doc footage from PM & crew that the E.T. footage they uncovered would go to the O's along with that. Who knows?

Whoever said the O's aquired the doc/footage from PM and crew? :? That never happened unless something has gone down in the last week or so that I don't know about. The O's never bought out or got anything from them. Sounds like a unreliable rumor unless it JUST happened in the last few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:24 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Damn rumors! No, I guess I just had it wrong in my head...no new developments, I thought they acquired all that a while ago. But I guess I was wrong. *sigh* Oh well, whoever has it, wherever it is...I just hope it gets released one day. One day soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

guitarjoe wrote:
Damn rumors! No, I guess I just had it wrong in my head...no new developments, I thought they acquired all that a while ago. But I guess I was wrong. *sigh* Oh well, whoever has it, wherever it is...I just hope it gets released one day. One day soon.

Thinking back on it now I remember when a photo of PM and Ozz together popped up alot of people assumed that some deal had been struck or something when all that was was a photo together after he was interviewed just like PM did with all his interviewees. Also that pic leaked quite a bit of time after the interview was done.

As for that footage, well, after the boxset came out (the perfect time for it) I ain't holding my breath or hope much for it. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:32 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Here's something interesting: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mozart-of-guitar-pierre-bensusan-heads-to-north-america-for-a-summer-tour-to-vividly-celebrate-his-critically-acclaimed-album-2012-03-15

It looks like the two books w/ the one DVD may be set for release April 1st.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:52 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

blizzard_of_john wrote:

Hopefully that April 1st date is a keeper.

Note in the text for that link, they made a mistake describing the book:

Another iconic guitarist who played with Osbourne, along with Quiet Riot, was the late Randy Rhoads; an upcoming DVD "Randy Rhoads: The Quiet Riot Years" will feature Bensusan's song "Hymn 11" from his Altiplatos album. The video -- a companion piece to the book "Crazy Train: The High Life And Tragic Death Of Randy Rhoads" -- highlights the life of the guitar master who died in a plane crash in 1982. The DVD will be available for preorder April 1 on http://www.guitarworld.com .

The underlined book title is the Joel McGyver book from last year. They got the title mixed up with the "Randy Rhoads-The Quiet Riot Years" book coming out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:44 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Yeah, I noticed that. That's an odd mistake and an obvious one. Can't wait for the two books to come out. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:31 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I read that a mtv concert broadcast with Randy on guitar was planned but due to the 'bat biting' incident, it had to be cancelled. It was eventually broadcast and that was the Speak of the Devil concert with Brad Gillis.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:52 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I just can't believe it's been 30 years. Man I am getting old.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:51 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

yes I think we all are starting to say that :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:44 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanks for the great music and inspiration Randy. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Geo Sav wrote:

Well MYV didn't even exist until after the two albums were recorded and they did do the guest appearence on "After Hours" so that was something. The MTV concert was set to be done with Randy on the Diary tour but just later in the tour. Nobody erxpected Randy to go so soon. Just the way things ended up.[/quote]

I was thinking along the lines of a midnight special type show. But keep in mind bands did do promo videos to send over seas and what not before even BOO was released. Ex. Kiss,van halen ect.