It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Peter Frampton: Still Very Much Alive and Well
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:21 am 

Peter Frampton played here this week at a small outdoor amphitheatre (about 2,500 people) so I decided to go for a bit of nostalgia from my youth and go see him. Boy, am I glad I did.

Pete doesn't have much hair these days compared to the famous album cover from "Frampton Comes Alive," but if you close your eyes you can tell he hasn't lost a bit of his voice or his guitar skills. 8) The man is still an amazing performer.

He played a mix of old classics and a couple of his more recent instrumentals, as well as a scorching instrumental version of Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun." The highlight of the night was a 27-minute version of "Do You Feel Like We Do" that put the famous 14-minute live version from the 70s to shame. :shock: He also showcased a new song he has not yet even recorded -- "Thank You, Mr. Churchill" -- that made me wish I could download it when I got home. He also did a good bit of improvising with his guitar adding in little extended instrumental pieces between songs. His final encore song was the Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." The man is still a gifted guitarist, and he's a very gracious, happy guy who clearly still loves performing for his fans. *r*

For the guitar fanatics out there, I can tell you that he still primarily plays his famous three-humbucker Black Beauty Les Paul and his red Gibson ES-335. 8) He also has had the same bassist playing on his records and tours for 30 years now: John Regan. Some of you older guys may recognize that name as the bassist extraordinaire who has played for everyone from the Rolling Stones to David Bowie to Ace Frehley, John Waite, Mick Jagger, David Lee Roth and others.

Peter played a solid two hours and I'd pay to see him again in a heartbeat. A very satisfying evening. Here's the setlist:

1. Shotgun
2. Signed, Sealed, Delivered
3. Lines On My Face
4. Show Me The Way
5. Boot It Up
6. Thank You, Mr. Churchill
7. Winds of Change
8. Black Ice
9. The Lodger
10. Penny for Your Thoughts
11. All I Want To Be (Is By Your Side)
12. Nassau/Baby I Love Your Way
13. I'll Give You Money
14. Do You Feel Like We Do?

Encore:
15. Off The Hook
16. Day In the Sun
17. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

*r* *r* *r*

Post subject: Re: Peter Frampton: Still Very Much Alive and Well
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:26 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Sweet man, Did he do well on While my guitar gently weeps? Do you have a favorite tune of the night?

Ive actually had a bad moment with Peter Frampton's music and it was about 6 months ago. I had to get a MRI on my knee and in the room with the machine, it can apparently reach up to 120 decibels, so the woman who worked there had the headphones on me and i chose the genre of hard rock to listen to. So when the machine revved up i laid there when an unpleasant amount of volume that was coming off the headphones. So 5min later the woman went in her booth and asked is the volume of the music was ok? and i replied that it would be probelly better if i switched to rock. Well it made no difference at all when i heard the high note bends by Peter Frampton start to play. I knew i was screwed because it had to be "Do you feel like we do"! so i sank my head lower and lower trying to reduce the blow of Peters talkbox on my ears but made no difference.... I was stuck in the room for an hour untill i could leave. That was the last time i heard a song from peter but im gonna have to listen to some of his tunes right now

Ohh and i found the Thank You Mr Churchill live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2vJnBL8So

-27 years later you're still my guitar hero

RIP RR
1956-1982

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 pm 

Thanks for the link, TKenn. It was truly awesome live. Pete starts off on an acoustic then tosses it to his guitar tech and whips out the Black Beauty and tears into a solo. Great stuff.

And, yes, "While My Guitar" was great. He became good friends with George Harrison post-Beatles and does it as his tribute to George. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:35 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Sounded like a good time Rick. Still good to hear that he can rock out. Didnt know that he was friends with George either. Id like to hear his verison of While My Guitar.... Is it a spot version or does he do his own spin on it?

On a side note abot While My Guitar... Paul Gilbert does a mean version of it with the Yellow Matter Custard band (Mike Portnoy on drums). Should check it out sometime!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:20 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

He sometimes vacations on the east coast not more then 10 minutes from where I live.Petey has a dam nice yacht .Makes since why I haven't seen it docked there this summer I didn't even know he was touring.I posted pics of his yacht last year in the photo section somewhere on here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:26 am 

He also has a house in Nashville. A friend of mine lives near him and frequently runs into him at the local plant nursery.

And Derek, his Beatles cover is his own interpretation - and very good. He recorded it for one of his CDs a few years back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:38 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I got a chance to see him about 2 years ago. What a show!!!! you cant tell he still enjoys playing and he is still rocking. Sounds just as good or better then he did in '76.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:42 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I heard if you lived in the suburbs you were issued Frampton Comes Alive :lol:

But seriously, it's great to see he's still on top form! I've only sort of gotten into him in this last year, but heres some classic Frampton for everyone to remind themselves of!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rFYbMhcG8