It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Somethin big may be happening in space!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:53 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Looks like theres something big that might be going on up in the sky soon. It seems that betelgeuse (a star in the constellation Orion) may have.... or is going to go supernova in which a star collapses in on its self or expends all of its energy. If this is the case, we'll be able to see it at night since it will be as bright as the sun since its "close" to earth.

SUPERNOVA!!

Post subject: Re: Somethin big may be happening in space!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:26 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

2112 baby!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:00 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

If it happens to go supernova in the next few years , earth won't see it for 600 years ! , it if went supernova 600 years ago then put your sun glasses on 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

KillerWatts wrote:
If it happens to go supernova in the next few years , earth won't see it for 600 years ! , it if went supernova 600 years ago then put your sun glasses on 8)

Exactly... Thats where my telescope would come in handy :lol:

I was reading an update and there's supposedly not alot of truth behind this.. I guess someone got a boner for it wanting to happen.. Sad yes, but alot of people would kill to see a supernova occur in out lifetime...Hell, the crab nebula was seen during the day when the light finally hit the earth since it was located within our galaxy...Would be epic to see

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:55 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:22 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Alex wrote:
I am fascinated by space, cosmos and the whole idea of infinity, but I am afraid I would get vertigo looking into a telescope. It's mind-blowing.

Shame it's not happening.

I too am fascinated with space. Its not that bad looking through a telescope dude. It takes some time to get used to, but once you do its epic. Ive seen some neat stuff when ive been able to get my scope outside. The moon close up is epic to see too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:10 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

anything to do with the universe is amazing and epic. really makes you think. sometimes i get pissed because i just cant fathom the whole forever idea or the idea that something else definitely played a part in the creation of our universe.

my main question, that unfortunately will never be answered - assuming the big bang theory becomes a fact, great. but what, who, or how put/did the matter that went bang get there to begin with? was it always there? did a god put it there? are we someones science experiment?

Right behind you, I see the millions. On you, I see the glory. From you, I get opinions. From you, I get the story. Listening to you, I get the music. Gazing at you, I get the heat. Following you, I climb the mountain. I get excitement at your feet!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:47 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Damage Inc. wrote:
anything to do with the universe is amazing and epic. really makes you think. sometimes i get pissed because i just cant fathom the whole forever idea or the idea that something else definitely played a part in the creation of our universe.

my main question, that unfortunately will never be answered - assuming the big bang theory becomes a fact, great. but what, who, or how put/did the matter that went bang get there to begin with? was it always there? did a god put it there? are we someones science experiment?

Ive always wondered how it was prior to the big bang or if there ever was a beginning. We know alot of how everything formed following the big bang, but like you I'm curious as to what happened prior. Theres 13 billion years of space to sort through to actually know what went on.

This is as far back as we have ever seen in the universe when the universe was alot younger.. Hubble Ultra Deep:

Some of the things that I find interesting is that we are a speck within a huge galaxy and as well in the univese. Alot of people dont realize that when people refer the milky way that they see in the sky is actually the center of the galaxy. All we know is what we get pictures of and the data that is observed from above. Our solar system as it is holds alot of mysteries like what is like under all the layers of atmosphere on Jupiter, Neptune, and Saturn.. whats in the Kuiper Belt and so one. We will get alot more answers to those questions thanks to the Juno project and New Horizons (which will be taking pictures and collecting data of Pluto and the Kuiper belt). The Voyager missions will more than likely be the only man made equipment to leave our solar system.

I could talk for days about this stuff... lets make a discussion out of it :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:44 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I just can't accept the forever theory. Not sure why, but I cant.
on a different note, Did you know that our moon is moving away from us? I forget how far away from earth it travels each year, but it's not much. Must have been an awesome sight to see the moon when it was closer.

Right behind you, I see the millions. On you, I see the glory. From you, I get opinions. From you, I get the story. Listening to you, I get the music. Gazing at you, I get the heat. Following you, I climb the mountain. I get excitement at your feet!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:14 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Damage Inc. wrote:
I just can't accept the forever theory. Not sure why, but I cant.
on a different note, Did you know that our moon is moving away from us? I forget how far away from earth it travels each year, but it's not much. Must have been an awesome sight to see the moon when it was closer.

I was watching that show yesterday. Moving an 1/2 inch every year. That show was kind of blowing things out of proportion. The moon has to move some 25k miles away in order to notice a difference... there is alot of time and we wont even be alive.. hell, even our childrens childrens children wont be alive for that.. 1000's of years away from that probably. I dont think it was much closer than it was now. Ive seen pretty detailed stuff on the moon from my 8" scope. Got and get Jupiter and saturn on the list next to see.. especially Jupiter since another asteroid/meteor hot it again a few days ago.

As for the whole forever theory. Its more than possible if you think about it. We dont fully comprehend how space works... especially how time functions in space. Time does actually slow down when you are in space if I heard right. When the big bang happened (data points to this being what happened) it was the perfect storm and the conditions for it were right. Like I said youre looking at 13.3-13.8 billion years when it started and more than likey prior to that it was infinite. Space is constantly expanding, so why couldnt it have then prior to the big bang?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:01 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

this is awesome; do you know who one of my heros is? Carl Sagan...

I bet he would have loved to see all the progress that has been made since he passed on. If anyone doesn't know him, he was most famous in a household name kind of way for writing his excellent book Contact which was made into a film starring Jodie Foster

Here is the amazing opening credits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGyq7d62 ... re=related

Matt

I am away for a while concentrating on music; if you need to get in contact please follow the link above. Cheers

Last edited by Sear on Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ps here is a clip called 'Pale Blue Dot'. He was such a compassionate and almost spiritual man. This makes you see things in perspective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

I am away for a while concentrating on music; if you need to get in contact please follow the link above. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:22 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

i used to watch Carl's show, Cosmos, i think that is the title. He was a very amazing thinker and he made me think a lot as well.

Yeah that show I saw about the moon moving away from earth said that way back in the day the moon would have been triple the size in our sky. They also say that when the moon does move far enough away, it will no longer have any influence on our oceans. Basically, if I remember correctly, they said the waves in the ocean help to slow the spin of the earth and keep it balanced or something. So no waves = Earth spinning out of control. I saw this moon show over 2 years ago on the science channel.

Imagine if space has always exsisted? Maybe our universe isn't the first or only universe. Even now some people have a multiverse theory. 13 -14 billion years (estimated age of the universe as we know it) is a crazy amount of time. Imagine FOREVER?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:42 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Damage Inc. wrote:
i used to watch Carl's show, Cosmos, i think that is the title. He was a very amazing thinker and he made me think a lot as well.

Yeah that show I saw about the moon moving away from earth said that way back in the day the moon would have been triple the size in our sky. They also say that when the moon does move far enough away, it will no longer have any influence on our oceans. Basically, if I remember correctly, they said the waves in the ocean help to slow the spin of the earth and keep it balanced or something. So no waves = Earth spinning out of control. I saw this moon show over 2 years ago on the science channel.

Imagine if space has always exsisted? Maybe our universe isn't the first or only universe. Even now some people have a multiverse theory. 13 -14 billion years (estimated age of the universe as we know it) is a crazy amount of time. Imagine FOREVER?

Carl Sagan was a brilliant man... we also have him to thank for getting this picture taken from the voyage mission:

It does kind of seem that it goes on forever.. especially since space is always expanding. With all the telescopes and scientific equipment that we have up in space hopefully we will unlock more answers about what went on. Im pretty stoked for the James Webb Telescope thats going to replace hubble in a few years. Its supposed to look for some of the first galaxies that formed following the big bang, so it should be pretty interesting to see what they discover when it launches in 2014

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:50 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Cheers guys. I have always found it humbling and exciting, to think of things in perspective and through reading about space, how little we are and how far we have to go.

That sounds interesting about the moon moving away; off to youtube now! :D

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100607/sc_space/strangediscoveryontitanleadstospeculationofalienlife

recent article about possible life in our solar system.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:03 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ibanez122 wrote:
Damage Inc. wrote:

Ive always wondered how it was prior to the big bang or if there ever was a beginning. We know alot of how everything formed following the big bang, but like you I'm curious as to what happened prior. Theres 13 billion years of space to sort through to actually know what went on.

This is as far back as we have ever seen in the universe when the universe was alot younger.. Hubble Ultra Deep:

Some of the things that I find interesting is that we are a speck within a huge galaxy and as well in the univese. Alot of people dont realize that when people refer the milky way that they see in the sky is actually the center of the galaxy. All we know is what we get pictures of and the data that is observed from above. Our solar system as it is holds alot of mysteries like what is like under all the layers of atmosphere on Jupiter, Neptune, and Saturn.. whats in the Kuiper Belt and so one. We will get alot more answers to those questions thanks to the Juno project and New Horizons (which will be taking pictures and collecting data of Pluto and the Kuiper belt). The Voyager missions will more than likely be the only man made equipment to leave our solar system.

I could talk for days about this stuff... lets make a discussion out of it :lol:

Pictures like that are amazing. 99% of the people out there dont realize that when they look up there its not just individual stars, there friggin gigantic galaxies that are probably 100x bigger than ours, just so far away they look puny. Just to comprehend the size of our own is amazing and we are in it and we can barely see stuff in our own(we are on the outskirts of our own correct?)

I imagine there is no night time when you get closer to the center of these things..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:23 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Shockwave wrote:
ibanez122 wrote:
Damage Inc. wrote:

Pictures like that are amazing. 99% of the people out there dont realize that when they look up there its not just individual stars, there friggin gigantic galaxies that are probably 100x bigger than ours, just so far away they look puny. Just to comprehend the size of our own is amazing and we are in it and we can barely see stuff in our own(we are on the outskirts of our own correct?)

I imagine there is no night time when you get closer to the center of these things..

This is what the milky way galaxy is said to look like (note where the sun is towards the bottom):

Alot of the individual stars that are in space are giants compared to what the sun is. The star that I had initially mentioned at the start of this thread makes the sun look like a dwarf. When those stars finally meet their fate, its nothing but pure epicness when they go supernova. The gasses that those things emit and the colors are for a lack of a better work pure art (like below)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:49 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ibanez122 wrote:
Im pretty stoked for the James Webb Telescope thats going to replace hubble in a few years. Its supposed to look for some of the first galaxies that formed following the big bang, so it should be pretty interesting to see what they discover when it launches in 2014

Hadn't heard of this new telescope....that will be cool when they launch that sucker in 4 years!!

I have always loved astronomy....I used to have a telescope as a teenager and would check out Venus, Jupiter and it's moons, Saturn, the Moon, etc.

I would like to get a Dobsonian Reflector with no less than a 6" mirror, but preferably with an 8". But my money has needed to go to projects around the house, and to guitar accessories/equipment....college tuition....you name it. The money has been needed elsewhere...not on a telescope.

But I will get one down the road. I would like to get back in astronomy again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:14 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

DavidDenson wrote:
ibanez122 wrote:
Im pretty stoked for the James Webb Telescope thats going to replace hubble in a few years. Its supposed to look for some of the first galaxies that formed following the big bang, so it should be pretty interesting to see what they discover when it launches in 2014

Hadn't heard of this new telescope....that will be cool when they launch that sucker in 4 years!!

I have always loved astronomy....I used to have a telescope as a teenager and would check out Venus, Jupiter and it's moons, Saturn, the Moon, etc.

I would like to get a Dobsonian Reflector with no less than a 6" mirror, but preferably with an 8". But my money has needed to go to projects around the house, and to guitar accessories/equipment....college tuition....you name it. The money has been needed elsewhere...not on a telescope.

I have an 8" Meade scope and love it. I havent been able to take out lately because the weathers been really crappy and humid around here. The price of scopes arnt too bad right now. Its just all the accessories you have to buy!!

Here's NASA's page on the new scope thats launching in a few years if you are interested: http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:37 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:19 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Alex wrote:
ibanez122 wrote:
Got and get Jupiter and saturn on the list next to see.. especially Jupiter since another asteroid/meteor hot it again a few days ago.

I heard about that. It left a scar the size of the Pacific Ocean!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10238332.stm

Awesome.

this is the first of 2 that have happened. The one you linked to was from late last year. The pics that Hubble took of it are awesome. There was supposedly another one that impacted Jupiter about a week and a half ago, but haven't heard anything since. There are 3 impacts total in 16 yrs (one in 94'). Jupiter is a great ships for earth since it can handle impacts like that. I'm curious as to what the surface of it looks like.. One can only imagine. Also, one of the darker colored rinfs on jupiter disapeared not long ago. I guess it's something that has happened in the past and astonomers have no clue why it does that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:10 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Cool galaxy of the day. Messier 64

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:24 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

reminds me of porn. 8-[

hey, speaking of which.................

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:10 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ibanez122 wrote:
I have an 8" Meade scope and love it. I havent been able to take out lately because the weathers been really crappy and humid around here. The price of scopes arnt too bad right now. Its just all the accessories you have to buy!!

Here's NASA's page on the new scope thats launching in a few years if you are interested: http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

Thanks for the link *r*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:11 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Ibanez, what telescope would you recommend for under $1000?
I know nothing about them what so ever but have always wanted one.

Cheers

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:16 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

joekidd wrote:
reminds me of porn. 8-[

hey, speaking of which.................

:lol:

Yes, it looks just like the back door :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:24 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Sear wrote:
Ibanez, what telescope would you recommend for under $1000?
I know nothing about them what so ever but have always wanted one.

Cheers

Matt

Theres alot of different options in that price range. I paid 1200 for mine and its an 8 in scope. There are two very good brands to look at: Meade and Celestron. I have a Meade and am thinking about selling it and getting a Celestron. There are some known problems with the motorized mounts on some of the Meade scopes and from what I understand the dont get it right even if they replace it. I havent had a chance to use the motorized mount on mine, so I cannot speak for that (just what ive read).

If you are starting out a 6 in scope would do you good (something like this):

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/catadioptric-telescopes/celestronnexstar6se.cfm

I bought my scope from the website that I linked...The GoTo functions on the motorized mounts are a lifesaver especially if you are not good at navigating the sky with your own eyes. You just have to do some alignments with the north star (Polaris) and usually 2 other bright stars in the sky and the GoTo function works like a charm (this is all covered in the manual). Theres other thing you have to do of course, but its fairly simple to figure out once you get the hang of it. If you got any questions feel free to ask me in this thread or via PM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:39 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Cheers!!

I wont be able to afford it for a while but I really appreciate the kindness.

I may be the science equivalent of someone who can just strum an e and a chord, but do I love it!!!! :mrgreen:

Matt

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ibanez122 wrote:
DavidDenson wrote:
ibanez122 wrote:

bumped to 2018 now???!!
WTF?
COME ON!!!