It is currently Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: More up close pics of Randy's Jackson (Warning:Large photos)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:01 pm 

Here are some shots from the opening of the "International Guitar Research Archives". I left a lot of the pictures a bit large on purpose. So you can really see some of the detail of Randy's Jackson. I mean I got as close I as could, so I figured you guys would do the same if you had the chance. :wink:

I was standing next to Kathy Rhoads looking at the display. She said that these display cases are sealed so they can keep the temp at 62 degrees, and the humidity constant.

I believe this Rolling Stone is made up for the new Jack Black movie coming out. I don't think this was a real issue. At least that is what someone was saying. (If I am wrong about this, please correct me and I will change this caption)

This is what Delores got when Randy was inducted into Guitar Center's "Rock Walk"

I overheard Kathy saying that this was a gift to them from a fan. (Why it was here, I really don't know) Unfortunatly you can't really see the pic of Randy in the headstock.

Anyway I hope you all enjoyed viewing these. I certainly enjoyed being there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:47 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Completely awesome! Thanks Brother :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:49 pm 

Great shots!! Thanks for posting them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:51 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

great pictures thanks! I'm so glad it looks so good. It's obviouskly been well looked after:-)

Some strange 'facts' here though:
Floyd Rose? Never played it live? Am I reading this wrong??? :?

I think you're right about the rolling stone cover. Veronica said the film company had made two different covers, we have the one, so I guess this is the other one :wink:

Last edited by Mod on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:52 pm 

I noticed the same thing too. I thought maybe they were talking about later edition jackson RR guitars, but on second thought...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:00 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

looks like its still in great condition, wonder when it was last restrung!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:40 pm 

Des wrote:
great pictures thanks! I'm so glad it looks so good. It's obviouskly been well looked after:-)

Floyd Rose? Never played it live? Am I reading this wrong??? :?

I think you're right about the rolling stone cover. Veronica said the film company had made two different covers, we have the one, so I guess this is the other one :wink:

Yeah I was standing next to Kathy when she was telling someone that guitar was never played live. I was thinking "HUH?!?!?!". I mean there is a photo right there showing Randy on stage with that very guitar!

But which one of you guys are going to argue with Kathy Rhoads about her brother??? Certainly not me!!! I definitely don't have a pair of balls that big! :shock:

I was also confused because it says there that the smaller version was a model before the big one was made. But then I heard Kathy say that a fan made it for them. Maybe I misheard, and she said that a fan had the original smaller concept model that was made and gave it to them. Who knows. All I can say is that I was nervous as hell around Kathy and Delores. I was in such awe, I had to struggle to get any words out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:51 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

@LoQ outstanding, really great fotos. Many,many thx for that. I can´t be there :cry: I am in Germany, so it would be a looooong way to go. But seeing the fotos, it would be really worth the trip.
Thx for sharing. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:01 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Completely and utterly AWESOME!!!! A 1000 thanks for posting these pics!! I'm speechless!! :D :cry: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:21 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Amazing, totally awsome to actually see "The Guitar" after years of seeing soooo many copies. Unbleivable !! Looks like it is in great shape. Thank you so much for taking these pics dude !! I agree with what everyone said about the caption being odd.
WOW !!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:25 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

What's with that tape on the side of the guitar, also thats a pretty cool fan guitar!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:26 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

one more thing... I always thought about how it felt to play the higher frets with all that body in the way did anyone ever think about that? I have never played the replicas so I wouldnt know nor have played any guitar with that style, apparently it did not affect Randy..... looks like it would get in the way ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:29 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

doesnt seem like it'd be that much of a bother

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:30 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Awsome photos man. I really appreciate you taking them and taking the time to post them. :D 8) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:47 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Des wrote:

Folyd Rose? Never played it live? Am I reading this wrong??? :?

I think you're right about the rolling stone cover. Veronica siad the film company had made two different covers, we have the one, so I guess this is the other one :wink:

Im confused as well. 22 "jumbo" frets and a Floyd Rose? Never played on stage? I thought Randy liked small fretwire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:55 pm 

-Andy- wrote:
What's with that tape on the side of the guitar, also thats a pretty cool fan guitar!

Not sure, It didn't look like "pic tape". It was pretty thick actually. So if I were to guess, I would think it was there to help protect the side. If you look up by the toggle switch, in the upper corner where it meets the back, it looks like there is more tape, but it isn't. It is actually part of the finish that has worn away (unfortunatly the camera didn't capture it too well). So perhaps the tape was placed there to prevent futher wearing of the finish? Or maybe to protect it from scratches by spiked wristbands, or something like that. That is my best guess....but it is just a guess. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:28 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

LoQ great job bro. Thanks for going and getting the pic's. My take on the little card is it is inaccurate. They must be referring to the Black Jackson as the second guitar. I remember reading that Grover said he and Randy took the body to the band saw and cut it right there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:32 am 

It was absolutely my pleasure!!!! :wink:

Yeah I agree with you 100%. It's got to be the black Jackson that the card is refering to. Although I didn't think the black jackson had a Floyd on it, or even a trem for that matter...or did it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:42 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I think its saying the original one Grover made had the floyd, it never saw the stage, the modified one was sent to randy maybe?.

So it could actually be the second jackson ever :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:50 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

if you look at the "star card" photos...the tape appears there too..clueless as to what it is though.....excellent photos!!!!that one of the RS cover...AWSOME..i knew there were more shots from that rehearsal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:53 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

those pics are amazing bro. I so wish i could be there to see it myself :(.Must have been a trip to be right there by Kathy and Delores i would have been speechless except to say your son was the best damn guitarist to ever live :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:06 am 

over_the_mountain86 wrote:
Must have been a trip to be right there by Kathy and Delores i would have been speechless except to say your son was the best damn guitarist to ever live :!:

Yeah when I walked up to Delores and Kathy to ask if I could have a photo taken with them I was terrified! I was so nervous to talk to them. I had to struggle to get every word out. All I could pretty much say is that I was a big fan, and that I am taking pictures with the intention of posting them on here. Luckily my girlfriend jumped in and told Delores one of the nicest things for me. She told Delores that she thinks of her every day because every day I always play "Dee" on my guitar and she knew that Randy wrote it for her. Delores and Kathy seemed genuinely pleased to hear that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:23 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

-Andy- wrote:

This is just a guess, but I always thought that the tape was there to help with the glare from the lights. A bright white guitar would reflect the lights well and make it a it harder to focus when looking down on it (it's the same concept that football players use when they put black greasepaint stripes under there eyes)...

Of course, I could be COMPLETELY wrong :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:26 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

LoQ no trem on the Black Jackson. Though body strings. Again great job Thank you for the pic's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:27 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

The information on the card is incorrect. My assumption is that it was written by someone in CSUN's music department, who flubbed some of the pertinent facts.

Randy's guitar was all-maple construction, not alder. He preferred small fretwire over jumbos; said he couldn't play the larger frets. He never played a Floyd Rose tremolo bar. The Gibson, of course, had a TOM; the white Jackson on display had the vintage trem, and the black Jackson was a string-through. And unless there was a second white Jackson built for him that no one knows about, that guitar was played live, as documented in numerous photographs and in video footage (he played it on "Over The Mountain").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:42 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thank you LoQ for sharing this with us and showing some awesome pictures and letting everyone get to enjoy seeing Randys guitars!! I wish I was there! Was it a big gathering or alot of people there in attendance??

Thanks again!!! 8)

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:03 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

That is the 11x14 photograph that I gave to Delores Rhoads in 1999. Someone wrote that they heard Kathy mention that. That is cool! That is #1 mine is #2. The photographer was Jon Sievert. I just visited the display yesterday. I guess it will be there a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:56 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Great pics :D , i am left wondering who the lady playing the acoustic in the pic / painting above his acoustic? Is it a young Mrs. Rhoads since she can play / teach 24 different instruments, and that guitar was his Grandfathers? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:52 pm 

scooterh67 wrote:
Thank you LoQ for sharing this with us and showing some awesome pictures and letting everyone get to enjoy seeing Randys guitars!! I wish I was there! Was it a big gathering or alot of people there in attendance??

Again it was totally an honor to bring them to you all. I have seen and learned so much from this forum, that any chance to give back, I do!!!

To answer your question, tHere was a crowd of people, but it wasn't insanely huge. Not all the seats for the outside concert that began the ceremonies, were filled. Maybe between 100 to 200 people. Not really sure. When the doors were finally opened the mass of people were all around Randy's stuff.

It was wierd because there were guitars there from the 1700's that no one was looking at. It was about Randy's stuff for a while, then it died down because the food was being served.

But not everyone was there for randy. There were a lot of non-rock guitar players there who were unfamiliar with Randy Rhoads. As a matter of fact I ended up answering a lot of detailed questions that these people were asking about him.

It's funny because on this forum, my Randy knowledge is average. I know more than some, but not as much as others. But there, I was the friggin Randy expert! I was able to answer every question asked with tons of details to add. It was weird indeed. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:55 pm 

tat2stu wrote:
Great pics :D , i am left wondering who the lady playing the acoustic in the pic / painting above his acoustic? Is it a young Mrs. Rhoads since she can play / teach 24 different instruments, and that guitar was his Grandfathers? 8)

No that painting had nothing to do with Randy, Delores, or any member of the Rhoads family. It was a seperate display at the archives.

BTW, besides the Randy stuff, the archives are very interesting and educational. IF you are a guitar player, or just love guitar, you owe yourself a visit. The others guitars and info they have there is simply amazing! It is a serious guitar museum!!!