It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: RR Biography Book Official Release
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:42 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Save up if you have to but get this book!!
I just got mine today and *0
A big thx for all who worked on it and brought it to the fans!!
Some of the photos will blow you mind!!
Some of the stories will make you cry.
But GET THIS BOOK!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:47 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Just got my copy today and Iron said it best, it is a masterpiece! I had held off getting the book, purely because of the cost but now that I have it I wonder why the hell I waited...worth every penny and then some, the people at Velocity were very good to deal with as well. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:41 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

also after thinking about what i read in the book,the couple statements that stick out from Drew or kelly?? cant remember who but in summary.. they said randy only saw VH a couple times...but Eddie came and watched Randy many times??
and they showed a pic of Eddie playing a cream colored les paul back in the club days!
Im sure everyone is awear of Eddie playing a les paul guitar and who cares of the color cuz ive seen pictures of him with a few but???
Makes me wonder and it seems it does the Author as well...
who influenced who??
somethin to ponder :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:05 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

The book came in Friday and I found my UPS guy at 1030 am. It's everything everyone said it would be. Been skipping around w/the reading order. Pics are worth the price alone. Awesome must have for any real RR fan. Made me pickup my old BC Rich and jam some Ozzy/RR songs I know..............

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:32 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

The book is a great read with loads of rare pics! It's the best book and piece of RR memorabilia released so far. *r*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 pm 

OK, so this book is out of control amazing. Anyone that has concerns about the $99 price should know that it is worth every penny. This is very comprehensive. My favorite part is the inclusion in the dedication, of none other than our very own Ironface166 *r* .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:54 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

*r* Is this book limited, or available indefinately? *r*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:08 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I think it will be limited.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Why is it $150? Is this price going to drop?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:12 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

metalryche wrote:
Why is it $150? Is this price going to drop?

The Randy Rhoads Biography book is $99.00, plus tax and shipping.
The $150.00 is for the Ozzy box set.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:59 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I placed my order last Thursday, tracking info says it will be here Wednesday :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:23 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Okay, I got the book and very excitedly so. I know some people are/were scoffing at the $100 tag on it, but I did not question that price at all. I know exactly what goes into doing a project like this and a book this size with total custom photo layouts on every single page and the beautiful quality of it is going to be pricey. I knew this would be worth it and it's obviously going to be the definitive tome on Randy that we're ever going to get. And I do believe it is just that.

NOW, with that said, I do have some complaints, concerns and some questions. I was REALLY put off by the 'Hey it's me again, the voice from the sky' or whatever, that really lame recurring narrative throughout the story. It's really weak and I found it to be very distracting and it totally detracts from the story. I also thought the writing was surprisingly bad for something that was this serious of an undertaking. Very pedestrian and I was disappointed, because this was in essence the hard copy version of the doc, more or less and that it wasn't given more attention in terms of composition.

That leads to my first question: IS the above true? IS this basically the 'illustrated cliffs notes' to Peters doc (that along with the Quiet Riot years)? And I don't mean that in a bad way at all, but just that we couldn't get the doc, so this is the next best thing, right? I just mean is it mostly based on Peters research, but not using the actual quotes, because he can't use them verbatim from the film? Not that this is bad, if this is the most we can get, I'll take it. It just seemed like a lot of it was 'paraphrased' instead of using the direct quotes, so I figured those parts must be based on what Peter had done for the doc.

Question number two: and forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere, but I guess I am to assume that the Osbournes cock blocked the doc (sorry, didn't intend to bust a dope rhyme there), which is why he got involved to at least do the '70's period of Randy's life in a film, because there wasn't Osbourne issues there? And the family, judging by their GLARINGLY obvious absence from the film premiere, is boycotting that because it involves Peter?? Am I correct in these assumptions?

IF so, how f**king sad is that, that the biggest efforts anyone has done and will ever do for Randy, and yet it's all politics and personal agendas that rule in the end?

I know that everyone here on this site is cool and that the vibe is far more diplomatic and non drama than the 'other' sites, but clearly these issues are the 'elephant in the the living room' and should be able to be discussed here to some degree. It doesn't have to end up in hostility or in blind allegiance to family or friends of Randy.

It was also not my intention to just bash the book. To have a coffee table book PACKED with pics that I would say are over 90% unseen is just incredible and obviously there is tons of info and everything that was promised. Plus, I found a pic in there of Randy that made me race to my own personal photo album and check a pic I had from 2000: I have a pic of me standing in the exact same spot, like the EXACT same spot as Randy is, just by total coincidence!! Just a silly little thing, but it was a bit of a thrill for me. Anyways, I just was surprised that it was a tad amateur on the literary side and was a little bummed by this since this was the be all end all of Randy books that will ever be written.

My Quiet Riot years is on the way, I will have it by early next week and can't even bear the wait!! I am dying to see the DVD! I already know that I will be forever indebted as well as the rest of the 'Randy World', to Sobol!! I would have LOVED to have been at the premiere!! So jealous of Iron! Plus I REALLY wanted that large poster sized lobby card thing of the Randy playing card from QRII. I would pay bucks for that for sure. That was always one of my very favorite Randy things.

Also, I am still frustrated by the mystery of Airey's 3/19 pics. Now it's said that the cops supposedly have them??? Not what he told me in 2002 when I interviewed him. Mine was the one where he said that the investigator told him that "This was no accident". Did Peter get to see these pics?? I was surprised that there was so little 'new info' about the crash or any of the pics. The initial hype on the book promised to 'reveal' a new perspective on it and don't really think it did. If the cops really had those pics, they could be requested. Public record.

Hail to PM and RS!! We all owe them a TON. To the cock blockers, drama queens, rancid roses and those who let politics and prejudice get in the way of celebrating our hero: SHAME ON YOU. You forget what was most important.

Thanks for reading my rambling Randy thoughts. I hope Iron and some of the other fine scholars on here can shed some light on some of the questions herein.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:44 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I would say on the writing style with the narrative part, to each his own. I personally didn't have a problem with that. I would say that you have to put the work in and time and effort and produce a better job then you can be critical. I was not put off by the it's me again style at all. I actually found that different than the typical biographies I have read. There actually should be no complaints, to have anything made of Randy at this point and to make it out to the public is epic enough and rare after 32 years and something of this size.

Why is there even an issue about Peter's doc? If the book was a cliff notes version of his movie, who cares. I don't see why there needs to be regard with Peter and being that he made a documentary in the 1st place. These are all negative issues shared by the other board because many have alliances with other parties that were involved in the doc. Like team Daisley vs team Peter or something. lol. Also you cannot compare the boards or whether all people here are cool, there have been both the likes at each place. The book is not a mirror of the movie from what I know about it that is owned by Dakota. I am sure resources were borrowed from the making of the film but we really don't know what the movie is like since it was never released to compare the two.

I think it is popular knowledge of how hard working with the O's is and getting Randy's family in agreement you can't again go back to blaming Peter for their lack of involvement with the QR project's movie premiere. Each party wants full control on what comes out about Randy, not Peter's fault or whoever would be in his position.

I don't know where it's really officially stated that the police didn't give back Airey's photos. I believe they give them back, there were photos of the wreckage in the book never seen. The book mentioned in the report containing that Rachel had a heart attack before they crashed I mean how much more new info do we really need. I don't need anymore of that tragic day, it won't change the outcome.

You say you don't have intention to bash the book but you are calling the writing amateur is pretty funny. Just one of the "fine scholars" giving my thoughts back. lol Are you sure you are hailing Peter? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:08 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Well, I appreciate your reply TA, but I think you should re-read my post. For some reason it made you really defensive, and you took everything I said as negative, when that wasn't the intention.

And yes, you're right, the narrative I mentioned is different, and I know they were trying to be creative and all, but I thought it was over done, took up a lot of space and detracted from the story. Sorry. Just because it's in a Randy book doesn't mean we can't criticize it.

I would think it would be obvious, that since Peter is involved that it would in some way mirror the work he did on the doc, hence the 'cliffs notes' comment. I even stated right after I made that statement, that I didn't mean it as a bash, but it was the only way I could think of to put it. As in, you can't stuff that much material that was gathered for the doc in this one book, so here are the key points, kind of thing.

Right off the bat you knock me for criticizing it, and then say essentially that we,re lucky to even get something like this on Randy. I already say that, but even more so in my post.

My real problem with the book is that it comes off like the subject is actually Jesus Christ or Jimi Hendrix or a combination of the two. That's a very amateur thing to do, and one of the biggest mistakes you can make with a book like this, is to be WAY overly praising and paint the subject in an unrealistic, infallible, 'holy' kind of light. And that's how it comes off in many places. Even for us lifelong 'worshipers' of Randy, it was a little much and not particularly realistic in many instances.

My comments were very fair and very unbiased. I stated my love for Randy, my respect for Peter and his work and I meant every word. You give credit where it's due, which I did, and you criticize where it is also due, and I also did that. I don't see why you were so put off by this. But I do encourage you to read it again. I cared enough to take all that time to write out that whole thing, so obviously I cared enough to do it.

Like you said we've all been waiting for something like this for several DECADES, so to finally get and just go, 'great, I'll take anything'....I think it was worthy of further discussion and there were some elements that really struck me right away and I wanted to discuss it with the people here. And yes, they are 'scholars' of the subject at hand, I think Iron and many others (including you) here have proved that, so why would I go anywhere else with my concerns? Then you put a thing in there 'rolling your eyes' at my compliments to everyone? Why would I say 'hail Peter' if I didn't mean it? There was no sarcasm there, the guy went through hell and back to do what he's done in the last 6 years and finally we get to enjoy at least 'some' of the fruits of that.

And yes, there have been idiots at this site too, but those who prevail over it tend to be the cooler headed types. Funny, now that I think about it, you even knocked the compliments I gave people in my post, so I don't even know where you're coming from. I thought I explained myself pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I don't mean to be disrespectful to you ,you are entitled to your opinion I just don't agree and look at the book differently. I sounded defensive because the book stands for its own merit and without involving Peter or the doc that he made. I most definitely don't think Randy was put on a pedestal or portayed as perfect as Jesus. Think about it, there may be reasons they left dirt out. That happened to another book and the Rhoads shelved it pretty quick. I am glad you appreciate what Andrew and Peter gave us even though you think its amateurish. sorry I wont roll my eyes .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:21 pm 

I’ve been strapped for cash for quite a while now, so when the book came out I was pretty bummed that I was unable to purchase it due to the high price tag. I got even more bummed with the news of the lawsuit that the Rhoads family has filed against it which more than likely could mean the book might soon be out of print. :( Well last week while I was online paying one of my Visa bills I decided for the hell of it to check out my reward points (something that I rarely look at) and when I did to my surprise I noticed that I had $110.00 in rewards points that that I could throw on my Visa! :shock: So I went right to the publisher’s page and ordered the book directly from them for $99.00 (Amazon is charging $150.00). With shipping it costs $114.00 which means I basically paid $4.00 for the book! *yay* Well it finally arrived yesterday and… well… what can I say that hasn’t already been said on here before? It’s amazing!!! I’m one happy camper! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:06 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I've had the book since last September and I like it. There is something to be said about the effort that went into making it. Would like a video doc as much as anybody else. This is the biggest RR release ever. Literally waiting since 82 for something this nice. Good to know its still available and the "powers that be"haven't stopped it. The boxset along w/this book are must haves if you can afford them. They are pricey but nicey.........................

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:43 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Some great info from the author on the Les Paul forum for those who are interested...

As for audio recordings, Tommy Aldridge has stated many times that they recorded through the board every night. He still has all of the board tapes. In fact, he and Randy went out to the truck after the show, the night the Tribute album was recorded, and listened to the recordings. He said Randy walked out and couldn't listen to it. Randy said, "It's atrocious and I never want to hear it again." He was very critical of himself. He was a perfectionist. Why they chose that concert over the King Biscuit show, I will never know. Ozzy made the final call because he hated his vocals on the KB tapes. It doesn't make sense because we all know he rerecords his vocals anyway. So, to answer your question, yes, there are lots more recordings. In addition, Bob Daisley has an enormous amount of material that may never see the light of day. He recorded every writing session, every rehearsal, and he has studio recorded songs that never made the records. He also has the album versions of the songs with alternate lead solos that were abandoned. And he has a four song demo the band recorded in a recording studio with a different drummer before Lee joined the band. The drummer on the demo was named Dixie Lee. He was going to be the drummer had Lee Kerslake not come along. The 4 songs recorded were Crolwey, Crazy Train, Goodbye to Romance, and Looking at you, Looking at me. These versions of Crazy Train and Goodbye to Romance are way better than what's on the Blizzard album, in my opinion.

As for the photo, I apologize, I don't have a copy to post. However, I'm sure a quick Internet search will reveal it for you. The photo shows the entire band sitting in a booth like you'd see in a restaurant. They are sitting around the table and Randy is holding a black LP custom with two humbuckers. It is definitely not the same guitar he later purchased with 3 pickups. I believe the photo was taken the night they showed up in a small club unannounced to do a practice show. They told the club owner the name of the band was The Law because Ozzy didn't want anyone to know they were there. They wanted to keep it hush hush so that they could just practice the set before the first tour.

By the way, there is a pro shot concert. The band was filmed in summer 1981 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic New Jersey. The entire show was filmed with 3 cameras, in black and white. Every concert in that theater was filmed from 1973-1984. Randy discussed the filming of the show in great detail, via a letter that he sent to his fiancé that night after the show. Whether or not that show ever sees the light of day still remains to be seen still 32 years later! It's very frustrating.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for being so kind. I've been a lurker here for many years and I really don't post anything unless I have something to add that's of any value. I saw this thread and I wanted to answer the question, I didn't mean to draw attention to myself. Thanks again!

Hi, yes. You can get it on eBay, Amazon, or the Velocity Books web site. Thank you! We have some left. Once they are gone that's it. We're not printing any more copies. We also produced a film documentary about Randy. It's called Randy Rhoads the Quiet Riot years. That DVD also comes with a giant oversized coffee table book. You can get that at redmatchproductions.com - the bio is at velocitybooks.org. Thanks again.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showt ... p?t=186332

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:37 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

For those that don't have the book yet...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randy-Rhoads-Bi ... 19e47e2c74

(I didn't have it yet. $100 + $40 shipping was a little steep for me. But I ordered one now...)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:11 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Received the book yesterday.
It was a scratch and dent sale. The only thing I can tell is that the dust jacket has a couple of small tears but otherwise it looks like it is pristine condition. I didn't have a lot of time to look through it last night but... First impression: Wow... A pretty big and thick book! Loads of pictures...

Looking forward to spending some more time with it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:58 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

It is worth having for sure. Still reading it 2 yrs later.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:32 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I got my copy and I think it is a wonderful tribute to Randy. Thanks to Andrew, Peter, Ron and many more of you who contributed!