It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: RR Biography Book Official Release
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:55 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I just pre-ordered my copy!

400 page Randy Rhoads biography book is finally being released! Check out the You Tube video for a small preview of the book.

http://velocitybooks.org/

Post subject: Re: RR Biography Book Official Release
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:52 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

$100 *0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

AZFF wrote:
$100 *0

Yeah, but at 7 lbs and 400 big pages, that's a few books worth in one. :lol: :wink:

Actually this was going to be announced Friday morning but it leaked somehow two days early, but no problem.

I can't wait. Been hearing about this for a long time and it sounds great and looks great from the promo trailer. This should be the definitive book on Randy Rhoads and along with a bunch of new interviews with people we get tons of rare and unseen photos. Don't think we'll ever see this much pure Randy product ever again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I found out early too, but wasn't going to spoil the surprise. It was leaked on Blabbermouth (the title says it all) and another music blog. I'm sure it's floating around everywhere now.

I really do have the pre-conceived idea that this book will be the best release ever, as far as a collectible photo book and bio is concerned. Sure the Ozzy Box Set has some fantastic material in the coffee table book, but this is going to be 400 pages of rare and previously unreleased treasure for lack of better words. The people involved have worked on it for a long time and the quality should be there. I'm sure it's worth every penny.

Can't wait to get it! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:55 am 

Just pre ordered mine! Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:16 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

This sounds awesome. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:17 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

ordering mine tomorrow..

This youtube clip is pretty cool, sounds like Randy is narrating it. Also the photo with Delores and Randy's guitar is amazing because it's the 1st time we see Randy's collection along with the black beauty..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3apJl6PR ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:13 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Sweet!
The Randy's voice must be from John Stix' interview tapes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:58 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

jtdiamondback wrote:

That is correct. For years all we had of Randy's voice from the Stix interview were a few clips that Kevin Dubrow used on his Las vegas radio show in 1996. Then just recently an online magazine called iGuitar posted even more audio clips from that interview. Now we have more in this promotional trailer. :D

T.A. wrote:
. Also the photo with Delores and Randy's guitar is amazing because it's the 1st time we see Randy's collection along with the black beauty..

Yeah, that's a great shot. Also that first picture we see in the book of Randy playing the Black Beauty at the John Livzey photo session for Guitar World, that looks like a new shot from that session I don't recall seeing before. Whatta ya say, T.A.? :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:00 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Great! I'll be picking this up soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

ironface166 wrote:
jtdiamondback wrote:

That is correct. For years all we had of Randy's voice from the Stix interview were a few clips that Kevin Dubrow used on his Las vegas radio show in 1996. Then just recently an online magazine called iGuitar posted even more audio clips from that interview. Now we have more in this promotional trailer. :D

T.A. wrote:
. Also the photo with Delores and Randy's guitar is amazing because it's the 1st time we see Randy's collection along with the black beauty..

Yeah, that's a great shot. Also that first picture we see in the book of Randy playing the Black Beauty at the John Livzey photo session for Guitar World, that looks like a new shot from that session I don't recall seeing before. Whatta ya say, T.A.? :?

8) Yea I caught it, I thought it was cool side shot of him. It got me thinkin he probably shot 100's of poses of him actually and probably has tons more.
Any pro photog would I am sure take that many.

I did notice a few familiar pictures in the clip, especially the guitar player of the year one on the couch I scanned for him.. :lol: Well 400 pages I can't wait, just ordered mine! Oh also remember we have the seminar tape to of his voice..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:00 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

T.A. wrote:
8) Yea I caught it, I thought it was cool side shot of him. It got me thinkin he probably shot 100's of poses of him actually and probably has tons more.
Any pro photog would I am sure take that many.

Cool, I thought it looked like a new one and you are the one to ask. :wink:

T.A. wrote:
I did notice a few familiar pictures in the clip, especially the guitar player of the year one on the couch I scanned for him.. :lol:

Yeah, there are definitily many shots we've seen plus a boatload we haven't. And yeah, I was glad to see that picture of Randy with Jim Schwartz of Guitar Player magazine in there. That is a great rare pic! :D

T.A. wrote:
Oh also remember we have the seminar tape to of his voice..

Oh yeah, I was just talking about voice clips from the Stix interview and how slim they were till recently. :wink: Besides the great seminar audio we also have that backstage Cow Palace interview from Diary tour's opening night, the award stuff and of course a few Quiet Riot interviews. More new stuff is always welcome! *r*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:26 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I emailed Guitar World about the two book deal they had advertised in the April 2012 issue (This book along with the Quiet Riot years book for $150) & their reply was that they will not be selling this book & have advised me to order direct through the publisher... Don't know what happened & I would of preferred to order both books at once to save on the shipping costs to Australia but with this new info I will be ordering the book now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:12 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Shipping to Finland 60 dollars = $159!! Thanks, but no thanks.... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:41 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

400 pages sweet!!!!!especially with the very little we have on randy..im a book nerd so im definately getting it.... :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:12 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

ironface166 wrote:

Yeah, there are definitily many shots we've seen plus a boatload we haven't. And yeah, I was glad to see that picture of Randy with Jim Schwartz of Guitar Player magazine in there. That is a great rare pic! :D

*r*

Yea I got lucky and got that from Jas Obrecht himself, had in hanging in his office for years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:07 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

For the record, all the audio of Randy talking in the trailer are from the August 14, 1981 interview he did with John Stix. Stephen Rosen didn't ever interview Randy, he was a co-writer of this book though and his writing credits in the music field speak for themselves.

The guitar playing is from guitar lessons and some early live show (pre-OO) clips.

Anybody notice Randy's name was mispelled (Rhodes) on the flyer for the 2nd Quiet Riot gig at the Machinist Hall? (Halloween Party)

4-6 weeks can't come soon enough! :D :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:15 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Looks really good!!! Gonna get a copy for sure!!! I really wish we´d get to hear that whole John Stix-interview... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:15 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

The quality of pic's from pre- Quiet to Ozzy are (from what I've seen) are stunning. I hope we all walk away from this book with a better detail of earlier event's and what a way to open up to - (Randy with his black beauty in an off Livey shot - wow). Seen the promo of this and to any Randy fan,the pic's are worth it. I'm hoping for and early Christmas gift. I raise a beer in honor of our Superman (yes,my eye's are watering up) - to you brother. To yah all,raise a toast,god bless. *r* *r*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:54 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Honestly, i have not read a book in about 20yrs since I was forced to in school. I just have no time for that stuff. Is 400 pages a lot for a book or something? Sounds like it is not much at all?

Again...I have zero experience reading over the last couple decades :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:43 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Ordered mine 8), and I'm glad to support this project, regardless of the form of media it materialized in.
What has been released via Ozzy, Inc. has been a welcome addition to the official Rhoads material out there, though, it has been a lopsided affair to naturally have it appear as though Osbourne and Rhoads were a musical Dynamic Duo.
I'm very much looking forward to reading what those hardly or never heard from have to say...the regular peoples that Randy was able to speak plainly to...those who witnessed this guy's progression to mastering the instrument first hand...
Many thanks for putting this out, folks. :D
~Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:41 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I agree, it's definitely good to have something officially released for Randy. Think about the last 30 years there hasn't been too many things. If people don't want to buy it that's fine, I can see how shipping is on the high side outside the US, that surprises me. Look at the new guitar sized KISS book, like 5k. I am glad that this one is not guitar sized :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:01 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Iron just told me he received his book and is reading it!

So many great stories. Now that I've read it from cover to cover, I keep flipping through it constantly. When I think about it now, I probably would never had seen most of these photos in any magazine or at all if this book wasn't released. I'm so glad at how well done it is. Imagine, a Randy Rhoads book that is a "Kisstory" style book ... just killer!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

This makes a fine addition to my meager Rhoads collection, alongside the books by Sharpe-Young, Sarzo & McIver.
I do not play guitar, so while it was nice to see repro Rhoads axes and amp heads become available, it was refreshing to see something released for all of the fans, and the price is nice when you consider the quality and quantity of material within.
It would take anyone in the community less than thirty seconds of flipping through it to realize they would want to get their own. *r*

~T.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:44 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Well, I got the book about a week ago and have been absorbing it thoroughly and I echo the statements of all those who reviewed it first……WOW!!!!!!!!! This is an amazing and beautifully put-together masterpiece on our hero Randy Rhoads. Yes, I know some may find it costly, but for the amount of stuff and quality here it's worth it. In comparison, it costs a lot less than one print of Randy by some photographers and less than 4-5 prints by others. There is an INSANE amount of photos NEVER seen by the public as well as many we have seen in magazines, books and on the internet but not at this size and of this quality on good paper. There are many photos of Randy as a teenager hanging out, goofing around and playing guitar and tons of shots from the Quiet Riot years. Tons more shots from the Ozzy years, on and offstage.

Really rare are shots from the 2-8-82 guitar seminar in PA and a never-heard of impromptu photo session of Randy playing an acoustic set backstage for Don Airey, Little John and Rachel Youngblood, said to have taken place on March 18, 1982 in Knoxville!!! (No these are not the shots of Randy playing acoustic backstage in front of the mirror!)

Incredible chapters on the women (girlfriends) in Randy’s life which has lots of pics plus great info about Jan McGuire and Jodi (who gives an indepth interview) as well as info about Jackie Fox and the largely unheard of Gracie Miller. Lori Hollen also provides lots of great insight. There are photos of Randy and Jodi from his last tour break in early March 1982 when they went to Cancun, Mexico. Great chapter dedicated to various photographers who shot pictures of Randy, including Ron Sobel, John Livzey, Paul Natkin, Daniel Rabe (who provides shots of the Quiet Riot photo session with Randy playing the flute), Neil Zlozower and some fans who took pictures when they met Randy on tour (with their memories of the day included). And for the guitarists there is a big chapter on Randy’s guitars, amps and effects with closeup shots of them all plus the legendary Chip Pan.

I can’t really say enough on how good this book is and what a treasure it is. Nothing in print on Randy before it comes close to this project and it’s doubtful anything after it will, with the exception of the upcoming Quiet Riot book (w/accompanying dvd of the QR years) which was done with the same level of dedication as this one. And I hear that out of all the photos of the Quiet Riot years in this book, very few or none will be used in that upcoming book. With this book you get so much rare info and just loads of perspective from rarely heard-from people in Randy’s life, like Drew Forsyth, Lori Hollen, Ron Sobel, Arlene Thomas,Dave Arden and many more.

Hey, I’ll buy any book on Randy (and I have them all so far) and if somebody puts out a good book on him, no matter who it is, I’ll give them all due credit, but I can’t imagine anybody putting as much time, effort and true dedication into anything on this level. And if somebody ever does, I’ll be in line to get it too! But till then, this beast is unmatched and all thanks goes to Andrew, Peter, Steven, Denny and everybody else involved in the making and releasing of this book. *r*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:39 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Great to hear from you Iron! That's an excellent review. There is not one person that I know of that has been disappointed with this fantastic book! That is the most information/stories I've ever heard from Jodi too. Very cool indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:32 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

That review is spot on.
Apart from the cost which some people may find high. Any fan who doesn't get this book is really missing out on a nice book.

If anyone is interested in seeing more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randy-Rhoads-Si ... 35bfbd38a5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:33 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Thanks for the review Iron .. it's appreciated *r*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:46 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

With all of the favorable reviews on this site, I ordered this Sunday and should have it Friday. I have thought about this for Xmas but could not wait. This has been a long time we've been waiting for something like this. Can't wait to hold it in my hands. Thanx everyone for the good reviews.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:02 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

bowtie wrote:
With all of the favorable reviews on this site, I ordered this Sunday and should have it Friday. I have thought about this for Xmas but could not wait. This has been a long time we've been waiting for something like this. Can't wait to hold it in my hands. Thanx everyone for the good reviews.

Yes it's great to read favorable reviews and see some positive vibes here ! unlike the cancer of that "other" website.