It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:46 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:19 pm
Posts: 5529
Location: Houston
(link at the bottom)

I've got to admit, it was really stunning to see/hear this. By now the internet has desensitized me to a lot of new finds, but this one reminded me of why I enjoy anything new surfacing. It was really neat to hear that extra bit at the beginning of crazy train. And seeing Ozzy almost hesitant to revisit the topic really hit home. Such a unique tone during the isolated solo pieces.

What are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpMZJVKyzm0


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:07 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:51 am
Posts: 4119
Location: usa
Yeah its unique but what was puzzling was Jack saw the 10-2-80 Southampton Reel and said lets listen to it and ozzy was like no...its sad...Come on already release it the guy resurrected your career. Its the least you could do.

_________________
1756 Mozart~1956 Rhoads~2156 ??????


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:38 am
Posts: 2022
and to think the master tapes are underground in PA.. haha yeah it was almost like Ozzy doesn't get how big Randy really is. He told the sound guy "he died" the guy looked at him like yeah no sh*t and tried to get across to him he's a freaking guitar god legend. I think Ozzy finally got it at the end he had a smile. I don't know if Diary masters were there? I assume they would be.

_________________
We Will Never Forget


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:07 am 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:51 am
Posts: 4119
Location: usa
Yeah that's weird that they are stored there?

_________________
1756 Mozart~1956 Rhoads~2156 ??????


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:30 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:38 am
Posts: 2022
i have to go back and watch the segment, but there were a lot of little details there. If i recall when he brought the cart out with the boxed masters it seemed like there were a few boxes there. South hampton was fed though a mobile feed to the back of a truck, Randy was said by Max to record his solo to You Said it all. I always thought the sound of his lead on that was different and lacked sustain and was weaker, like you could hear the notes dying off and he had a problem with the sound. It seems Sony are the owners of the masters how I took it?

_________________
We Will Never Forget


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:57 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:19 pm
Posts: 749
Location: Medical Lake
T.A. wrote:
i have to go back and watch the segment, but there were a lot of little details there. If i recall when he brought the cart out with the boxed masters it seemed like there were a few boxes there. South hampton was fed though a mobile feed to the back of a truck, Randy was said by Max to record his solo to You Said it all. I always thought the sound of his lead on that was different and lacked sustain and was weaker, like you could hear the notes dying off and he had a problem with the sound. It seems Sony are the owners of the masters how I took it?


The solo was recorded through his practice pedal board with the Zeus amp, wasn't it? That's why it sounds "off"

_________________
That's right Mr. Giraffe, drink all the marmalade.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:56 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:12 am
Posts: 858
Location: southern california
Interesting that Iron Mountain is the curator/repository for the master tapes. I'm retired now, but I know that Iron Mountain collects sensitive records and material from AT&T for storage and disposal.

_________________
root beer floats with gina & jeep...a.k.a. hijackers "R" us.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:49 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:19 pm
Posts: 5529
Location: Houston
The name "Andy Rose" pops up on the box as the engineer. Anybody familiar with him? Maybe another lead for at least a cool story.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:26 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:51 am
Posts: 4119
Location: usa
frank wrote:
Interesting that Iron Mountain is the curator/repository for the master tapes. I'm retired now, but I know that Iron Mountain collects sensitive records and material from AT&T for storage and disposal.

Yeah strange they are stored there but comforting to know they cant be nuked?

_________________
1756 Mozart~1956 Rhoads~2156 ??????


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:35 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:12 am
Posts: 858
Location: southern california
Zero wrote:
frank wrote:
Interesting that Iron Mountain is the curator/repository for the master tapes. I'm retired now, but I know that Iron Mountain collects sensitive records and material from AT&T for storage and disposal.

Yeah strange they are stored there but comforting to know they cant be nuked?



Haha. Very true. :lol:


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozzy and Jack's World Detour - Crazy Train Master tape
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:32 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:38 am
Posts: 2022
CrypticNight wrote:

The solo was recorded through his practice pedal board with the Zeus amp, wasn't it? That's why it sounds "off"


I know they ran a feed straight through the soundboard from the portable recording unit in the truck, and probably his pedalboard was still in the line.

He didn't have that Zeus amp at that time, he didn't get that preamp until Boss made that portable little board for him and Rudy both. I think the board was more of a novelty gift to try out for the both of them and has been blown out of proportion on ebay sellers btw.

_________________
We Will Never Forget


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 
cron