It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Yet another sweet Zakk story!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:48 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:21 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Man, I've got to run into him one day!!!! I need a new geetar :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:26 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

That's a really awesome stories... Zakk just continues to amaze! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:41 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

That's good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:16 pm 

Thats awesome!!

I ran into him one time. He was really cool. It was back in 89 or 90. I was at the Whisky a Go Go out here in Hollywood. Ozzy had a concert that night and Zakk decided afterwards to show up and jam (That night the Whisky was doing it's popular "No bozo jam" that they used to do back then which basicly had bands come up and plug into their equiptment (Marshalls, Trace Elliots, and a decent drum kit) for 20 mins, then have another band to come up right after and do the same. Kinda like a glorified open mike night for bands). He did about four or five tunes. If I remember correctly he did some Frank Marino, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Robin Trower, and maybe one other that I can't remember.

Afterwards Zakk was just hanging out. I always admired Zakk, but my musical tastes had shifted at that point. I was really into glam. When I say glam I'm not talking the generic poision or warrant kind of glam. I am talking about the over the top glam such as the New York Dolls, Spiders from Mars era David Bowie, Hanoi Rocks, Sweet, etc. So I am in full my full blown glam best. Lots of makeup, lots of jewerly, bright pink hair, totally the exact opposite of Zakk. I walked over to him to tell him I thought he was awesome, expecting him to maybe react not so favorably to my appearance (The same way lots of fans of Ozzy, Metallica, etc used to react to me my band and and my friends back then). But instead he seemed genuinly touched. He gave he a huge pat on my back and we talked for a bit. The first thing I remember thinking was "Duh-am that guy is freaking HUUUUGE!" At one point someone brought him a beer and he asked me "Hey, would you mind holding this for me while I drink this beer?" and then he hands me his guitar!! I'm a total stranger and he is trusting me to hold his Les Paul in a very crowded club!!! I stood there stunned while Zakk is chugging down his beer and I am holding onto his Les Paul thinking several things. One was "OMG! This thing is freaking heavy!!!! Two was "The exit is right there and he has his backed turned to me at this moment I could totally run off and be clear down the street before he even notices :P!!!!! Three, not only would doing that go against every moral fiber in my body, but Zakk would catch me and he would hurt me baaad! :lol:

Of course I did the right (and smart) thing and handed him back his Les Paul when he was done drinking. But I was touched and honored that he felt comfortable enough to trust me to hold onto it for him. Even if it was only a minute and I was only a foot away. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:24 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

whoa cool Zakk story at the Whiskey.
his old manager used to live right on the same street as me, and i would go there around the time Zakk was on the verge of leaving Zyris to join Ozzy. he would show me alot of rare Zakk photos that were given to Ozzy, the bargain letter from Sharon? if i remember correctly (as Zyris were on the verge of getting a major deal), and also told me how Zakk used to be at his house alot. i thought whoa, this guy is 2 blocks away from my house!

a few days later i went to see Zakk's last show with Zyris at the club Close Encounters here in New Jersey, as my friends and i basically stood right at the edge of the stage for the whole show. Zakk jumped down from the stage and played right next to us at one point (his solo spot? memory a little hazy), and we pretty much knew that this last Zyris show with Zakk would be history in the making.
20 years later it is great to be able to see all the cool stories on this board, and also share some of my own.
keep up the great posts :D

anyone out there remember this show,
or have it on audio or video?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:43 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

That is so damn cool. Zakk is the greatest. He's not only an inspiration when it comes to the guitar, but also an inspiration for how a person should act towards others. I have heard great stories about other guitarists being generous, but never as consistently kind and as frequent as Zakk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:39 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Zakk RULES! I hope I'll meet him someday :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:21 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I never thought zakk would be a real nice guy, but never judge a book by it's cover. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:10 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thats so cool. Zakk seems like one of the nicest dudes on Earth. I didn't know he was in a major group named Zyris before he met up with Ozzy. Is there anything I can hear of Zyris?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:07 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

there is a ton of stuff on Google including Video, and also You Tube.

and lol at the Jack Handy quote!

:o :lol:

anyone out there remember this show,
or have it on audio or video?

Post subject: Re: Yet another sweet Zakk story!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:03 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

:cry: boo hoo i want an zakk to walk into my guitar center and buy me guitars fpr no aparent reason