www.randyrhoads.tk
http://www.nobitching.com/phpbb3/

New appreciation for Brad Gillis
http://www.nobitching.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5157
Page 1 of 2

Author:  danno [ Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:07 pm ]
Post subject:  New appreciation for Brad Gillis

I've always admired his work, especially on Speak of the Devil. He is a hell of a player and really stepped up to the plate for Ozzy after Randy's death.

I just now got an MP3 player and have loaded a few CD's on. Listening to SOTD with head phones is awesome. It blows my mind how full Brad's sound is. I know that fluttering thing gets on some people's nerves but I remember it blowing a lot of people's minds back in '82. Brad put Floyd Rose on the map for sure.

Anyway. Great player and if you've never listened to this with the headphones on give it a shot. Awesome.

Author:  LoQ [ Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

I agree with you 100%. I always loved Brad's playing and tone on SOTD. Awesome stuff!

Author:  rrguitar [ Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

he is definitly glued to that floyd thats for sure :)

Author:  Rybones [ Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:39 am ]
Post subject: 

My dad always used to say "Brad Gillis..... his wammy will Kill us " :lol:

Author:  JT [ Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:12 am ]
Post subject: 

Dan I agree. Brad is a great player. The thing about SOTD that got me was I remember reading a article on him and he said they learned 13 songs in five days then recorded the album. Awesome.

Author:  danno [ Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:49 am ]
Post subject: 

Rybones wrote:
My dad always used to say "Brad Gillis..... his wammy will Kill us " :lol:


:D

JT, I remember reading that. Only had a few days to rehearse for a one off gig. Those guys were damn tight. If I recall correctly the album has minimal retouching.

That's the album that made me a big Tommy Aldridge fan. If I ever have an electronic set I'm gonna sample his bass drums on War Pigs.

Author:  shanic [ Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:45 am ]
Post subject: 

Ive always liked SOTD I think that I get a better kick out of listening to those sab songs sometimes more than the sab versions.

Ok no yelling at me ok.

Author:  rickhawk80 [ Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

shanic wrote:
Ive always liked SOTD I think that I get a better kick out of listening to those sab songs sometimes more than the sab versions.

Ok no yelling at me ok.


Actually, quite a few people through the years have said Ozzy put out a better live Sab album than Sab did. :D

And yes, Brad Gillis is great on SOTD. 8)

Author:  danno [ Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

rickhawk80 wrote:
shanic wrote:
Ive always liked SOTD I think that I get a better kick out of listening to those sab songs sometimes more than the sab versions.

Ok no yelling at me ok.


Actually, quite a few people through the years have said Ozzy put out a better live Sab album than Sab did. :D

And yes, Brad Gillis is great on SOTD. 8)


+1. It was my intro to Sabbath. When I heard the Sabbath versions I was disappointed somewhat, especially the drums. This band put a hell of a lot of energy into this show. Classic.

Author:  fortress [ Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

This album of Speak of the devil was my FIRST Ozzy album to heard!! I was probably 7 or 8, don'T remember.. My sister had this album in his walkman.. and yes, listening to it with headphone is f*** great

Is this album that started it all for me.. i've becoming an Ozzy fan and later, i did discover randy !! I didnt know at that time yet that ozzy was the frontman of Black SAbbath!! The first i did heard a Sabbath album i was in shock lol!!

Brad gillis did an awesome job on this record and i listen to it more than the real sabbath stuff

But i don't like how he played randy stuff for sure..

Author:  Mr. Crowly [ Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:32 am ]
Post subject: 

I haven't listened to SOTD yet, but its on my list. I only heard a couple Night Ranger songs and when I did, they were good. So I'm looking forward to listening to him play Randy's songs.

Author:  LoQ [ Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Mr. Crowly wrote:
I haven't listened to SOTD yet, but its on my list. I only heard a couple Night Ranger songs and when I did, they were good. So I'm looking forward to listening to him play Randy's songs.


He doesn't play any Randy songs on Speak of te Devil. It's strickly live Black Sabbath tunes. :wink:

Author:  JT [ Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:53 am ]
Post subject: 

The show from Memphis Tenn May 1982 is very good.

Author:  Mr. Crowly [ Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:08 am ]
Post subject: 

LoQ wrote:
Mr. Crowly wrote:
I haven't listened to SOTD yet, but its on my list. I only heard a couple Night Ranger songs and when I did, they were good. So I'm looking forward to listening to him play Randy's songs.


He doesn't play any Randy songs on Speak of te Devil. It's strickly live Black Sabbath tunes. :wink:


#-o I knew that. I forgot. :P Its been a bit since I thought about SOTD. But yeah, sorry, I knew he played those. Like I said, I'm looking forward to listening to it! 8)

Author:  LoQ [ Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Mr. Crowly wrote:
LoQ wrote:
Mr. Crowly wrote:
I haven't listened to SOTD yet, but its on my list. I only heard a couple Night Ranger songs and when I did, they were good. So I'm looking forward to listening to him play Randy's songs.


He doesn't play any Randy songs on Speak of te Devil. It's strickly live Black Sabbath tunes. :wink:


#-o I knew that. I forgot. :P Its been a bit since I thought about SOTD. But yeah, sorry, I knew he played those. Like I said, I'm looking forward to listening to it! 8)


Hopefully you will enjoy it. I've always felt that Brad's playing was very under appreciated by the fans on SOTD! But it was all really just bad timing. SOTD was the very first album release since Randy's death (and it had nothing but Sabbath covers on it to boot), so it wouldn't have really mattered who played on that album.

Author:  Mr. Crowly [ Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:13 am ]
Post subject: 

LoQ wrote:
Mr. Crowly wrote:
LoQ wrote:
Mr. Crowly wrote:
I haven't listened to SOTD yet, but its on my list. I only heard a couple Night Ranger songs and when I did, they were good. So I'm looking forward to listening to him play Randy's songs.


He doesn't play any Randy songs on Speak of te Devil. It's strickly live Black Sabbath tunes. :wink:


#-o I knew that. I forgot. :P Its been a bit since I thought about SOTD. But yeah, sorry, I knew he played those. Like I said, I'm looking forward to listening to it! 8)


Hopefully you will enjoy it. I've always felt that Brad's playing was very under appreciated by the fans on SOTD! But it was all really just bad timing. SOTD was the very first album release since Randy's death (and it had nothing but Sabbath covers on it to boot), so it wouldn't have really mattered who played on that album.


Yeah, I think so too. I mean, even if its just Sabbath covers, you have to say "Wow, he sure can play that axe!" y'know? And I hope I do too. Might be hard to find though.

Author:  shanic [ Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:14 am ]
Post subject: 

I listened to that album about a thousand times when it was first given to me. It has some great guitar playing on there, sure I think that some of it may not have aged well but its still great stuff.

The music is not as bloated as the way that Sabbath play it, makes for great listing.

Author:  zero [ Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New appreciation for Brad Gillis

dstout wrote:
I've always admired his work, especially on Speak of the Devil. He is a hell of a player and really stepped up to the plate for Ozzy after Randy's death.

I just now got an MP3 player and have loaded a few CD's on. Listening to SOTD with head phones is awesome. It blows my mind how full Brad's sound is. I know that fluttering thing gets on some people's nerves but I remember it blowing a lot of people's minds back in '82. Brad put Floyd Rose on the map for sure.

Anyway. Great player and if you've never listened to this with the headphones on give it a shot. Awesome.

i remember having a bootleg recording of him,playing "i dont know" live
he re-wrote the lead it sounded awesome-not the same!!-but very well
done,the cassette that it was on rotted over time :cry:

Author:  DemonDik [ Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

I love Brad's tone on SOTD.. Someone told me he played through Mesa-Boogies then.. Whatever his amps were, he got a killer guitar tone on that album... And I personally think his playing is great on it too... I've heard several songs he played for DOAM tour and he did well, considering the shoes he had to fill..

Author:  cableguyxx [ Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

dstout wrote:

+1. It was my intro to Sabbath. When I heard the Sabbath versions I was disappointed somewhat, especially the drums. This band put a hell of a lot of energy into this show. Classic.
+2 :wink: The drums sounded so flat compared to SOTD which was my first Sab also. It's always been one of my favorite albums. Some fans think it's blasphemy to play Sabbath songs like that (even like Randy played the 3), but it makes them almost completely different songs.

I have the rehersal show from the night before somewhere on a hard drive. Fun stuff 8)

Author:  danno [ Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

cableguyxx wrote:
I have the rehersal show from the night before somewhere on a hard drive. Fun stuff 8)


:shock: Whoa! I'd love to hear that sometime.

Author:  cableguyxx [ Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

dstout wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:
I have the rehersal show from the night before somewhere on a hard drive. Fun stuff 8)


:shock: Whoa! I'd love to hear that sometime.
I'll see if I can dig it up. If I find it, I'll try and post it :wink:

Author:  James [ Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

The secret to his tone is his Furman PQ-3.

Author:  cableguyxx [ Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:11 am ]
Post subject: 

dstout wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:
I have the rehersal show from the night before somewhere on a hard drive. Fun stuff 8)


:shock: Whoa! I'd love to hear that sometime.


Here ya go Dan. It's Symptom Of The Universe from the practice show, the night before SOTD was recorded.

http://www.eternalrandyrhoads.com/82_09_26/01.mp3

Sorry, I only have this in mp3 format.

Author:  SambaBoy [ Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

cableguyxx wrote:
dstout wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:
I have the rehersal show from the night before somewhere on a hard drive. Fun stuff 8)


:shock: Whoa! I'd love to hear that sometime.


Here ya go Dan. It's Symptom Of The Universe from the practice show, the night before SOTD was recorded.

http://www.eternalrandyrhoads.com/82_09_26/01.mp3

Sorry, I only have this in mp3 format.


Awesome!!!! THanks!

Author:  luisarco [ Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Are there some bootlegs/shows where Brad plays some of Randy 's songs. SOTD was the last Ozzy cd I've got and I never realy listened much to it. Mainly because I was expecting at least a few of the songs from Randy on it. I've always had the idea that Brad did all the Black Sabbath covers because he could handle the Randy's songs. So if there's some shows like that I would like to hear him.

Author:  cableguyxx [ Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

luisarco wrote:
Are there some bootlegs/shows where Brad plays some of Randy 's songs. SOTD was the last Ozzy cd I've got and I never realy listened much to it. Mainly because I was expecting at least a few of the songs from Randy on it. I've always had the idea that Brad did all the Black Sabbath covers because he could handle the Randy's songs. So if there's some shows like that I would like to hear him.
*? Brad only played 2 shows where they played the Sabbath stuff...the gig where they recorded SOTD and a practice gig a night or two before. Every other show he did with Ozzy from the time he joined the band in April '82 until he left to rejoin Night Ranger in Dec. '82 where full of Randy songs.

I just posted a full show:

http://www.nobitching.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6238

Author:  luisarco [ Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

I saw that topic, but I thought it was a "Sabbath show". I try to download it, thanks for sharing the show with us :)

Author:  Cheri [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

cableguyxx wrote:
dstout wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:
I have the rehersal show from the night before somewhere on a hard drive. Fun stuff 8)


:shock: Whoa! I'd love to hear that sometime.


Here ya go Dan. It's Symptom Of The Universe from the practice show, the night before SOTD was recorded.

http://www.eternalrandyrhoads.com/82_09_26/01.mp3

Sorry, I only have this in mp3 format.

Thanks for sharing that Brad did a great job I think , Ozzy sounded horrible here lol I am sorry to say!

Author:  dogman [ Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:03 am ]
Post subject: 

I always thought Brad was a great player. But after reading Rudy's book "Off the Rails" I have even more respect for his playing. To be able to play like that after the way Ozzy treated him night after night is just showing how much of an outstanding musician he was at a young age in "82".

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/