It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New appreciation for Brad Gillis
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:07 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I've always admired his work, especially on Speak of the Devil. He is a hell of a player and really stepped up to the plate for Ozzy after Randy's death.

I just now got an MP3 player and have loaded a few CD's on. Listening to SOTD with head phones is awesome. It blows my mind how full Brad's sound is. I know that fluttering thing gets on some people's nerves but I remember it blowing a lot of people's minds back in '82. Brad put Floyd Rose on the map for sure.

Anyway. Great player and if you've never listened to this with the headphones on give it a shot. Awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:18 pm 

I agree with you 100%. I always loved Brad's playing and tone on SOTD. Awesome stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:37 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

he is definitly glued to that floyd thats for sure :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:39 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

My dad always used to say "Brad Gillis..... his wammy will Kill us " :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:12 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Dan I agree. Brad is a great player. The thing about SOTD that got me was I remember reading a article on him and he said they learned 13 songs in five days then recorded the album. Awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:49 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Rybones wrote:
My dad always used to say "Brad Gillis..... his wammy will Kill us " :lol:

:D

JT, I remember reading that. Only had a few days to rehearse for a one off gig. Those guys were damn tight. If I recall correctly the album has minimal retouching.

That's the album that made me a big Tommy Aldridge fan. If I ever have an electronic set I'm gonna sample his bass drums on War Pigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:45 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Ive always liked SOTD I think that I get a better kick out of listening to those sab songs sometimes more than the sab versions.

Ok no yelling at me ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:04 pm 

shanic wrote:
Ive always liked SOTD I think that I get a better kick out of listening to those sab songs sometimes more than the sab versions.

Ok no yelling at me ok.

Actually, quite a few people through the years have said Ozzy put out a better live Sab album than Sab did. :D

And yes, Brad Gillis is great on SOTD. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:05 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
shanic wrote:

Ok no yelling at me ok.

Actually, quite a few people through the years have said Ozzy put out a better live Sab album than Sab did. :D

And yes, Brad Gillis is great on SOTD. 8)

+1. It was my intro to Sabbath. When I heard the Sabbath versions I was disappointed somewhat, especially the drums. This band put a hell of a lot of energy into this show. Classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:43 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

This album of Speak of the devil was my FIRST Ozzy album to heard!! I was probably 7 or 8, don'T remember.. My sister had this album in his walkman.. and yes, listening to it with headphone is f*** great

Is this album that started it all for me.. i've becoming an Ozzy fan and later, i did discover randy !! I didnt know at that time yet that ozzy was the frontman of Black SAbbath!! The first i did heard a Sabbath album i was in shock lol!!

Brad gillis did an awesome job on this record and i listen to it more than the real sabbath stuff

But i don't like how he played randy stuff for sure..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:32 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I haven't listened to SOTD yet, but its on my list. I only heard a couple Night Ranger songs and when I did, they were good. So I'm looking forward to listening to him play Randy's songs.

Bleh = http://www.myspace.com/rick123111
Better = http://www.myspace.com/rick123112

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:51 am 

Mr. Crowly wrote:
I haven't listened to SOTD yet, but its on my list. I only heard a couple Night Ranger songs and when I did, they were good. So I'm looking forward to listening to him play Randy's songs.

He doesn't play any Randy songs on Speak of te Devil. It's strickly live Black Sabbath tunes. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:53 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

The show from Memphis Tenn May 1982 is very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:08 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

LoQ wrote:
Mr. Crowly wrote:

He doesn't play any Randy songs on Speak of te Devil. It's strickly live Black Sabbath tunes. :wink:

#-o I knew that. I forgot. :P Its been a bit since I thought about SOTD. But yeah, sorry, I knew he played those. Like I said, I'm looking forward to listening to it! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:17 am 

Mr. Crowly wrote:
LoQ wrote:
Mr. Crowly wrote:

#-o I knew that. I forgot. :P Its been a bit since I thought about SOTD. But yeah, sorry, I knew he played those. Like I said, I'm looking forward to listening to it! 8)

Hopefully you will enjoy it. I've always felt that Brad's playing was very under appreciated by the fans on SOTD! But it was all really just bad timing. SOTD was the very first album release since Randy's death (and it had nothing but Sabbath covers on it to boot), so it wouldn't have really mattered who played on that album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:13 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

LoQ wrote:
Mr. Crowly wrote:
LoQ wrote:
Mr. Crowly wrote:

Hopefully you will enjoy it. I've always felt that Brad's playing was very under appreciated by the fans on SOTD! But it was all really just bad timing. SOTD was the very first album release since Randy's death (and it had nothing but Sabbath covers on it to boot), so it wouldn't have really mattered who played on that album.

Yeah, I think so too. I mean, even if its just Sabbath covers, you have to say "Wow, he sure can play that axe!" y'know? And I hope I do too. Might be hard to find though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:14 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I listened to that album about a thousand times when it was first given to me. It has some great guitar playing on there, sure I think that some of it may not have aged well but its still great stuff.

The music is not as bloated as the way that Sabbath play it, makes for great listing.

Post subject: Re: New appreciation for Brad Gillis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:14 am 

dstout wrote:
I've always admired his work, especially on Speak of the Devil. He is a hell of a player and really stepped up to the plate for Ozzy after Randy's death.

I just now got an MP3 player and have loaded a few CD's on. Listening to SOTD with head phones is awesome. It blows my mind how full Brad's sound is. I know that fluttering thing gets on some people's nerves but I remember it blowing a lot of people's minds back in '82. Brad put Floyd Rose on the map for sure.

Anyway. Great player and if you've never listened to this with the headphones on give it a shot. Awesome.

i remember having a bootleg recording of him,playing "i dont know" live
he re-wrote the lead it sounded awesome-not the same!!-but very well
done,the cassette that it was on rotted over time :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:50 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I love Brad's tone on SOTD.. Someone told me he played through Mesa-Boogies then.. Whatever his amps were, he got a killer guitar tone on that album... And I personally think his playing is great on it too... I've heard several songs he played for DOAM tour and he did well, considering the shoes he had to fill..

http://www.myspace.com/righteousxindignation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:47 pm 

dstout wrote:

+1. It was my intro to Sabbath. When I heard the Sabbath versions I was disappointed somewhat, especially the drums. This band put a hell of a lot of energy into this show. Classic.
+2 :wink: The drums sounded so flat compared to SOTD which was my first Sab also. It's always been one of my favorite albums. Some fans think it's blasphemy to play Sabbath songs like that (even like Randy played the 3), but it makes them almost completely different songs.

I have the rehersal show from the night before somewhere on a hard drive. Fun stuff 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:56 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

cableguyxx wrote:
I have the rehersal show from the night before somewhere on a hard drive. Fun stuff 8)

:shock: Whoa! I'd love to hear that sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:11 pm 

dstout wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:

I'll see if I can dig it up. If I find it, I'll try and post it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:31 pm 

The secret to his tone is his Furman PQ-3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:11 am 

dstout wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:

Here ya go Dan. It's Symptom Of The Universe from the practice show, the night before SOTD was recorded.

http://www.eternalrandyrhoads.com/82_09_26/01.mp3

Sorry, I only have this in mp3 format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:19 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

cableguyxx wrote:
dstout wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:

Here ya go Dan. It's Symptom Of The Universe from the practice show, the night before SOTD was recorded.

Awesome!!!! THanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Are there some bootlegs/shows where Brad plays some of Randy 's songs. SOTD was the last Ozzy cd I've got and I never realy listened much to it. Mainly because I was expecting at least a few of the songs from Randy on it. I've always had the idea that Brad did all the Black Sabbath covers because he could handle the Randy's songs. So if there's some shows like that I would like to hear him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 pm 

luisarco wrote:
Are there some bootlegs/shows where Brad plays some of Randy 's songs. SOTD was the last Ozzy cd I've got and I never realy listened much to it. Mainly because I was expecting at least a few of the songs from Randy on it. I've always had the idea that Brad did all the Black Sabbath covers because he could handle the Randy's songs. So if there's some shows like that I would like to hear him.
*? Brad only played 2 shows where they played the Sabbath stuff...the gig where they recorded SOTD and a practice gig a night or two before. Every other show he did with Ozzy from the time he joined the band in April '82 until he left to rejoin Night Ranger in Dec. '82 where full of Randy songs.

I just posted a full show:

http://www.nobitching.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6238

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:59 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I saw that topic, but I thought it was a "Sabbath show". I try to download it, thanks for sharing the show with us :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:44 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

cableguyxx wrote:
dstout wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:

Thanks for sharing that Brad did a great job I think , Ozzy sounded horrible here lol I am sorry to say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:03 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I always thought Brad was a great player. But after reading Rudy's book "Off the Rails" I have even more respect for his playing. To be able to play like that after the way Ozzy treated him night after night is just showing how much of an outstanding musician he was at a young age in "82".