It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Awesome Board!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Just found this board a few days ago and was blown away! Great site for sure.

Although I was around when Randy was alive, I was too young at the time to be into him. I was only 11 when he passed and had no clue who he was or what great music was (although, I did like the Beatles and The Who back then as a pup).

Funny part is during the same month Randy left us in 1982, ironically, I went for my very first guitar lesson and soon fell in-love with the instrument.

In 1987, when I was 16, I picked up a 2-record set album (yes, it was vinyl!) that absolutely blew me away from the moment I heard Randy's tone and feeling on that very first track ("I don't know"). It just changed my life forever.

I'm sure you can all relate in one way or another to that moment.

I was recently cleaning out the basement and came across some old music books and magazines that got me thinking about Randy again. Although I listen to his stuff quite often, it had been a long while since I really thought about him, the man and musician.

I went searching on-line and got super hooked again when I saw the amazing footage that is out there of a young Randy playing in Quiet Riot. Wow! I then dusted off some of my guitars (I haven't played seriously in a while) and started to play again (thank you Randy!). The lessons (is that the poster Frank on here?) that were taped inspired me even more. When Randy says "Just learn one new thing a day", man that struck a chord with me and that has been my goal everyday with my guitar! I had been frustrated and trying to do too much at once. And Randy, more than 30 years later, has been my inspiration. AMAZING.

Anyway, just wanted to say great site and that I look forward to future correspondence here with fellow Randy fans who "get it." I am pretty much surrounded by people who just don't "get it".

I am sure some of you can relate to that as well.

Post subject: Re: Awesome Board!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:37 am 

Zan -- welcome aboard. You'll find a great community of people here, as well as a few members here who knew Randy personally. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:06 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
Zan -- welcome aboard. You'll find a great community of people here, as well as a few members here who knew Randy personally. 8)

Reading some of the posts from those that knew Randy are just amazing to me. It is so cool to be on a site and be able to potentially converse with some who actually knew him! In a weird way I actually feel closer to him by reading those posts and I think it is great.

By the way, I like the Rush reference in your location. Cool. Lifeson is one of my favs. Not quite up to Randy's level of innovation, but who the hell is?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

welcome to tk :) :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:35 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ZanMan wrote:
Reading some of the posts from those that knew Randy are just amazing to me. It is so cool to be on a site and be able to potentially converse with some who actually knew him! In a weird way I actually feel closer to him by reading those posts and I think it is great.

having heard this several times now, i'm really happy you said it as well. by the way, i can't believe the mileage that the lesson tape has put in. it was shared back in the days before cyber-space. who woulda thought? anyway, welcome!

frank.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:46 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

frank wrote:
ZanMan wrote:

having heard this several times now, i'm really happy you said it as well. by the way, i can't believe the mileage that the lesson tape has put in. it was shared back in the days before cyber-space. who woulda thought? anyway, welcome!

frank.

Hey Frank, a fellow Frank here!

Thank you for putting those tapes out there. They have been an inspiration to me and my efforts to become somewhat proficient on the guitar again.

Imagine that? Randy is STILL teaching the guitar to aspiring musicians! Of course I didn't know him, but he seems like a guy who would have gotten a kick out of that fact.

Thank you for sharing your memories and keeping his memory alive.

And thank you all for the welcome here. I love this board already.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:39 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Hey Frank. OR Zenman welcome to tk.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:35 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

OffTheScales wrote:

Thank you!

By the way, I'm Zan not Zen. I only say that because I think there already is a zenman on here and I don't want him to get pissed off! It is why I did mine with some caps too.

Thanks for the welcome, dude! I really appreciate it. This board, like Randy, is truly GREAT.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:57 pm 

Welcome Aboard!!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:10 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

ZanMan wrote:
OffTheScales wrote:

Thank you!

By the way, I'm Zan not Zen. I only say that because I think there already is a zenman on here and I don't want him to get pissed off! It is why I did mine with some caps too.

Thanks for the welcome, dude! I really appreciate it. This board, like Randy, is truly GREAT.

No problem I am sure you will have a good experience here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:36 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

OffTheScales wrote:
No problem I am sure you will have a good experience here!

After a week of reading and posting here, it already has been a great experience for me.

Just like Mr. Randy Rhoads, this site is something very special and I am real happy to have found it and be even a tiny a part of it.

Thanks again.