It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: RR.tk Vs Kelly Garni
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:24 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Kelly Garni's Q and A

'Many thanks go out to Kelly for taking the time to answer these questions and for answering them so candidly and honestly :D
I think everyone will get some cool new info that means something to them from this. I know I have:-)

Kelly really thinks a lot of this site and we have his support :wink:

Kelly's answers are in BLUE
Now onto the :?: & :idea:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhoads25 wrote:
Q: Is there any chance that you would have ever joined up with Randy in a band situation again,

whether it was Quiet Riot again or a totally new band situation?
After you left Quiet Riot, did you and Randy stay in contact often? Maybe even on a daily basis?

thank you!

A: When I left the band, (under a dark cloud) I was so happy to be out of music. I was excited about my new and different life ahead of me. But I wil say that had the opportunity to play with Randy again would have presented itself, I would have beeen happy to reunite with him. right after I left, there was a lot of healing on both sides that needed to happen, so we only talked about every week or two. After a while it was more frequent and comfortable. Then, he was gone with Ozzy and I would get a call only now and then.

Donnie wrote:
Q1: What was the most memorable performance in your opinion of Quiet Riot when you were in the band?
Thanks!!!! :)

A: Actually there are two, one was with Van Halen and the other with Black Oak. The VH gig was imporatnt because they were our rivals and this was the big showdown! BO because Randy and I were very big BO fans, they were second bill at the first Alice Cooper concert we went to.

Donnie wrote:
Q2: How much video footage is there of Quiet Riot with Randy in the band?

A: There is a sizable amount. With me in the band, about 20 minutes. After me, there is maybe an hour. But I'm not really sure about that.

Donnie wrote:
Q3: Is there still alot of live recordings of Quiet Riot that have not been heard by the general public and do you have any live or rare recordings of Randy that might one day be released in some form?

A: It's really about even I'd guess, live/studio. Kevin is the keeper on that one. He's made me some CD's of stuff, but I don't really cataloge it in my head. There certainly is at least a whole albums worth for a Randy Rhoads Years 2. One of the Cd's Kevin gave me was a rehersal at our first managers studio. That was cool cause you could hear all the things we said to each other, I'd say that's rare!

jimmy wrote:
Q: During the time you spent with Randy as a teen, did you notice changes in his guitar style; and which direction he was leaning toward as a musician?
Did you ever, at one point, realize how accomplished Randy was becoming on guitar?
Was Randy always trying to create his own style and/or play things he could hear in his head?
thank you for you're time.

A: It was certainly very clear that Randy got better not just daily, but EVERY 5 MINUTES! He had the talent, he had the desire and he put in more time than most people would be ABLE to do. As far as a style, when he heard someone do something, he would first learn it the way they did it, and then customize it to suit his needs, and it always sounded new and original. He probably did hear music in his head, everyone who plays does. He liked noises. That's why people like Mick Ronson and Glen Buxton were very early influences. Isn't it odd? They're both dead. I noticed Randy getting better but I was too young to really realize the magnatude of it.

ironface166 wrote:
Q1: Any particular reason "Force Of Habit" was left off Quiet Riot I? I thought it would have fit in nicely and shown a heavier side of the band.

A: Force of habit was one of my most favorite songs we ever did. Along with another one called "Hide me away" that didn't make it on any albums. I was dissapointed but we really didn't have total say in things like that.

ironface166 wrote:
Q2: Who else was in the band,"The Whore," besides you and Randy?

A: Our singer was a guy named Glen, he was much older and just the nicest guy. We liked him alot but he wasn't the greatest singer, but we didn't care. He had this big old convertable car that he used to drive us around in, and he lived in this house with this bassplayer and guitar player. They had their own thing going bandwise, and Randy and I were much better players than them even though they were much older. But! They did have great amps, and there was a rehersal room in this house and they let us use their amps! We were in heaven over that. It was all SUNN equiptment, a Coloseum Lead and Coloseum Bass, back then top end gear. The drummer was Rick Hack. a local Burbank guy that we played with on and off.

ironface166 wrote:
Q3: After you left Quiet Riot did you still go catch them live with Rudy on bass?Thanks! :D

A: One time. It was very uncomforable.

Geet_God wrote:
Q: Everyone has some really great questions so far!
I've always wanted to know:

Randy was raised Luthern and went to church...
How important was religion in Randy's life?

A: Randy never really spoke about religeon to me, except when an obligation came up. The religeon was his mother's influence and the good son that he was he did what he had to do to keep her happy. I know though that religeon was a very private thing to him, which is why he never talked about it.

vodka wrote:
Q: Do you remember Randy's first girlfriend?
Did Randy have any favorite candy/food/drink?
Thanks, Alex

A: Yes I do remember his first. There were two actually, and I don't remeber which one was first. He diddled around with Teresa Paup. Who went on to be a semi famous actress Teresa Russell. The other was a tall (taller than him) girl with black hair named Lisa. She was gorgeous with smoky eyes. As far as candy, I can't recall a favorite, he basically turned ice tea into candy with his recipe of half sugar-half tea. He liked fruity drinks like mai Tai's Daquiris margaritas. Food, we both liked Jack in the box and taco bell. He was kind of a junk food guy but certainly didn't mind a fine meal of any variety.

drswender wrote:
Q: 1. What was Randy's perception of the fame he had achieved up until that point?

A: All he ever said to me was that it was all so crazy and not as much fun as you'd think it would be. I don\'t think he really realized he was famous yet. I don\'t think he was here long enough to be able to gauge it.

drswender wrote:
Q: 2. Did he see any money from the platinum albums while he was alive?

A: I don't really have any knowledge of it, he was really good with money though, I could never figure out how he could make the same amount of money as me, spend it on the same things and end up with twice what he started with.

Wylde Mann X wrote:
Q: Hey Kelly,
What was the goofiest thing you remember Randy EVER doing?

A: This is a question that could be answered for hours, Randy spent alot of time being goofy but his serious side was where you would usually find him. Goofy, by my defination is stuff like dressing up in wierd clothes, like ladies clothes, and walking into a supermarket. (which we did), pouring gasoline across the width of a street and then lighting it on fire and watching the cars get confused, (which we did) Or setting a very complex plan into action by saying things to people to make them do things and then sitting back and watching the hilarious conclusion like setting up one of our roadies with a guy who looks like a girl, (which we
did). Randy's humour usually was spontanious and bit more sophisticated than the little pranks I just described.
My favourite is is when someone in a club walked up to him and asked him if he had any drugs for sale, Randy pointed over to where Kevin was standing and said to go ask him. Kevin back then was VERY anti-any-kinda-party-substance. He hardly drank. So his reaction and demeanor to some guy wanting to buy a joint was priceless. One other thing we loved to do was when someone would pass out or go to sleep at a party or whatever, we would very carefull and skillfully stack most of the house on top of them. Usually the "tower" would reach heights of 4 and 5 feet, much to our amazement. It was very hard to hold back the laughter as we carefully stacked chairs, tables books, plants etc on the sleeping victim. The "tower" was always topped off with pots and pans from the kitchen, then, we would sit back and wait for them to roll over......

devils_daughter wrote:
Q1: Hi Kelly!
First of all, I wanna thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.
Well, here are mine:
How was it like the first time you got on stage to play a gig?

A: For me, I was always scarred on stage. I was never as comfortable as Randy was on stage.

devils_daughter wrote:
Q2: Which was the funniest episode you experienced in your career? And what about the strangest type of fan you ever met?

A: Some things are funny years later. Our second manger was this very english corporate type who had an office on the 12th floor that looked out over Hollywood. I was always in trouble. And I was called
"on the carpet" on a fairly regular basis to get my ass chewed out in a language I couldn't understand. (english, as in Queen of...) Anyways, this guy would pick his nose as he tore me a new one. At the time it terrified me! But now it's one of my fondest memories. And I wonder if he still does that to people.

devils_daughter wrote:
Q3: What would be your advice for the young musicians who are just starting their careers?
Thanks again Kelly :D

Isabelle.

A: My advice would be to make sure you really want to do this, find that something in yourself that hungers for success so much that you cannot live with out it. Unfortunatley, that's a thing that can be mistaken for a simple desire to be rich and meet lots of girls. The bottom line is, if you don't spend every spare minute practicing or studying, even when you talk on the phone or sit on the toilet, as Randy did. If you don't LOOK the part, live the part, and be the part, even on a small level, then you're just another kid who bought a guitar after a wet dream about groupies. . Music is a very big life commitment. Obviously I was not cut
out to go all the way. But, I was fortunate enough to be associated with people who got to a point where I got see what it would be like to be a rock star. Also, if you play with losers, you're a loser. People who don't show up, have bad attitudes, get wasted at gigs and rehersals, aren\'t going to be a ticket to success for you. Sorry if I was harsh on the question, but it\'s not a biz for pussies. That's why Kevin is so tough, and that's why he made it and STILL does well.

Larz wrote:
Hi Kelly! Thank you for taking the time to answer some questions for us!
Q1: What was Randy\'s reaction when he received the white Les Paul from you guys?

A: He actually picked it out him self and masterminded the the transaction.

Larz wrote:
Q2: Did Randy have alot of say in the studio as far as prodiction when he was with a) Quiet Riot b.) Ozzy. (did he mention this?)

A: Randy never mentioned this to me as far as Ozzy. But I know from my own experience that Randy had the presence of such a talented musician, that no one ever really second guessed him. Kevin and him might have butted heads, but they were friends, and me and Randy both knew that Kevin was awesome in the studio.

Randy would only have the edge when it concerned a music technicallity. I don't know about Ozzy's stuff. But the fact that Randy in every pocket of those songs tells me people would listen to him.

Larz wrote:
Q3. We all know you spent alot of time with Randy even before Quiet Riot was born. What was Randy like as a kid? Was he picked on alot in school?

Thanks Kelly!

A: School. Boy that was fun. imagine Beetoven as a little kid, and you have Randy as a little kid. Now mix the little beetoven kid with a little bit of Alice Cooper, and you have the Randy that existed in school. We were both a bad/good influence to each other. We gave each other the courage to be different in a time and place where that didn't go over very well with the "normals". Randy was a kid in transition and growing older in ways that other kids didn't. So, we lived and looked the part, we were partners in crime. Yeah we got picked on! High heels and tight red velvet pants with a crop top didn't go over well with the jocks in math class at all. There was always a plot to beat us up after school. So, we left early or had the principal drive us home. He was very understanding.

Laura B. wrote:
Q:Kelly,
when you and Randy were young kids seeing the way Randy played guitar and had such a love for music even then, knowing him they way you did, in your eyes did you ever imagine that one day Randy would be successful in this career and becoming such an inspiration for future musicans? If so, why?
Laura

A: I will say, and always have that I knew Randy would be famous the second I saw him. That's why I had to get to know him. As far as the inspiration part? That's a very pleasant surprise. How did I know he was going to be famous? He almost glowed. When I saw him there must have been at least 50 other kids around him, but I only noticed him.

RRtribute wrote:
Hello Kelly !!

Q: I've always wanted to know what was it like playing those clubs like the Whiskey and Starwood?? And also do you have pictures of Randy and you back when you were 13-14 around that age just gigging and having fun??

A: Playing those clubs then and thinking back on it now are 2 different thought for me. Back then, it was almost like a job, I saw it as paying my dues, something I had to do. And the problems I had back then with Kevin were always formost in my mind. Now I look back and think how lucky I was to be a little kid in this way cool club! We were kings in Hollywood and i wish I would've looked at it that way. But, the audiences were great and they really made you feel the love! It was cool to be 16 and walk up to the bar and get a beer. I do have pictures from that time, but not that many.

blackfaded wrote:
Q: What bands (or genres of music) did Randy dislike?

A: Randy didn't really like punk rock. He didn't get it. He did like Alice Cooper, Mountain, Deep Purple, Led Zep, Frank Zappa, anything that was good he liked.

dstout wrote:
Q: Did Randy ever comment on Tom Scholz and Boston?
Thanks,
Dan

A: He loved that guys tone and how clean he played.

waycooljunior1966 wrote:
Kelly, I've got a few questions for you:

Q1: I've often heard that Randy didn't want to be a rock star, yet from the video I've seen of him with Quiet Riot, it looks as though he spent time crafting his stage performance. Did he have rock star dreams early on and did he spend time working on 'the look' as well as the music?

A: Sure he wanted to be a rock star, and yes he went to great pains to achive it. But it's a case of "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it" And so it was. Really, he just changed his objectives, he certainly wanted to be well known no matter what style of guitar he played.

waycooljunior1966 wrote:
Q2: I just heard Come and Gone which Kevin put up on his website. Are there any other recordings like that which have never been heard?

A: I'm guessing. Maybe 10.

waycooljunior1966 wrote:
Q3: I was wondering about the songwriting process between you and Randy. We've heard from Bob Daisley about his experiences with Randy and writing songs, and I've read what Ozzy has had to say...What was it like in Quiet Riot?

A: I wasn't much of a song writter at all. In the early years before Kevin, we would "jam" and songs were mostly created by the two of us, "force of habit" and "Back to the coast" were 2 of them. Kevin and Randy were great together. Sometimes Randy and I would work out parts over the phone.

waycooljunior1966 wrote:
Q4: I read somewhere that when Randy visited you in Vegas he was impressed by your house... did Randy have any notion that he'd like to settle down and have a family someday?
Thank you for all you have done to keep your friend's memory alive, you are a classy guy.(I'll stop adding questions now)

A: I could see Randy as a Dad, and a great one he would have been too. But he wouldn't have done it unles he could spend 100% of his time at it. And he knew that time was a long way off. When he came to Vegas, I lived alone in a big house. I think he was just impressed with the privacy I enjoyed. As opposed to living on a bus with a person who farts all the time and without regard to others. (you guess who it is) Randy was one who enjoyed solitude. Where we lived in Burbank, we were right at the foot of some hills. You had only to walk about 100 yards and you'd be away from everyone. He would often take walks to think. And I never knew about what.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]