All times are UTC

Post subject: Randy's Best New Talent Award/Backstage Interview 12-30-81
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:46 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Guitar Player Magazine-Best New Talent Award-1981
December 30,1981
The Cow Palace-San Francisco, California
(Transcribed by Ironface166 at http://www.randyrhoads.tk)

MTV: “Randy Rhoads has plenty to be pleased about since he teamed up with Ozzy Osbourne. The editors of Guitar Player magazine have just presented the hard driving guitarist with the “Best New Talent” award for 1981. In San Francisco, MTV Music Television joined the awards ceremony.”

Guitar Player Magazine’s Jim Schwartz: “Randy, on behalf of the over half million readers of Guitar Player magazine in the US and over 70 countries throughout the world, I’d like to present you with the 1981 Best New Talent Award. Congratulations.”

Randy Rhoads: “Thank you.”

MTV: “What else did Randy have to say?”
(Backstage)
Randy Rhoads: “When they told me, I thought they were joking, because Sharon always jokes with me anyway. And she called me one day and told me and ,um, I just didn’t believe it. I, for a week still, I didn’t believe it. Ya know? Cause I’m real proud and honored and I don’t wanna stop here. Ya know?”

Backstage Radio Interview With Randy Following Award Ceremony 12-30-81

Interviewer: “Ozzy, as you know, was the vocalist 10 years with Black Sabbath, now out on his own with his 2nd LP entitled “Diary Of A Madman” on Jet Records.”
“ Ozzy auditioned Randy in Los Angeles, when he was a regular on the local scene and now, only 1 year later, Randy is the winner of 2 best new guitarist awards. One from Guitar Player, a Bay area magazine distributed throughout the world, and a 2nd from Sounds in England.”
“Filling out the group is Tommy Aldridge, most recently from the Pat Travers band, on drums and Rudy Sarzo on bass. This band has truly captured the musical ears of the world, to the tune of double platinum on the first LP, “Blizzard Of Ozz”.”
“I caught up with Randy the day of the show, a 4:00 pm soundcheck at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. This was the first show on the brand new tour. The crew was busy setting up the enormous gothic stage and all the special effects.”
“In between the ceremony backstage with Guitar Player, presenting Randy with his Best New Guitarist award, and everybody getting dressed for the show that night, I was able to sit down with Randy and later with Ozzy. The excitement and pre-show tension was almost overpowering. But isn’t that what it’s all about?”

Interviewer: “The first night here, are you a little nervous?”

Randy: “Well, I’m not so nervous, it’s just there’s so much going on and it’s like.. there’s not enough time to do anything, I’m afraid.”

Int: “Opening night comes real quick.”

Randy: “Yeah, it does and it’s like…the word is out. I’m not confident about everything yet. I hav’nt had time to sort everything out. Since I’ve started this, great things hav’nt stopped happening. I mean, it gets to the point where you don’t know how to handle any good news anymore. Everything is great and. .ya know. When you dream of things, you don’t even dream of those, you just dream of being in a band and getting the chance to do it, let alone, like the records and the awards.”

Int: “Is this pretty close to the dream, being with Ozzy and starting out with this magnificent stage?”

Randy: “Well, I think this is beyond it, because, I mean, I’m really lucky to jump from a local band to headlining, like this big, ya know.”

Int: “Yeah, but I don’t think that even Ozzy realized what was gonna happen, I mean, we’re in a depressed situation here…”

Randy: “Yeah, right..”

Int: “And to come out with an album…2 million copies.”

Randy: “No, he didn’t really, I mean, when we got together, it was just like, we’ll just knock it out and see what happens.”

Int: “We’ll go for it, we’ll see what happens, we’ll take our chances”.

Randy: “That’s right and, uh, I think he was really shocked as well. We go in the studio, we just sort of all do our own thing. Like, Ozzy does his vocals how he wants and I go in the control room and do my guitars how I want. I mean, he is not there really, and ya know, we sort of put it together that way in the studio. Like, we come in with a vague idea of what we want, but it all comes to life in the studio. It’s not like we have it down beforehand. We wrote both the albums, like, in the country and we had a house, bit of atmosphere. And I think it’s great, cause no distractions and just nice environment gives you a clean head.”

Int: “Tommy Aldridge…”

Randy: “Oh, he’s great.”

Int: “Is’nt it fun working with him?”

Randy: “Oh, he was always my favorite drummer.”

Int: “Was he?”

Randy: “Oh, I saw him years ago on television when he was with Black Oak Arkansas.”

Int: “You’re kidding?”

Randy: “Knocked out.”

Int: “This has indeed been a big year for Randy. But with the success of the latest album, coupled with the awards for his playing, have not gone to his head. He’s still a practitioner of his craft and he spends long hours honing his skills. We’ll return with Ozzy.”

Int: “I loved that story that, that you told about when you first saw Randy, that “uhhh, what a wimpy looking thing”, and then he played his guitar and you changed your mind.”

Ozzy Osbourne: “Oh, he’s just. .it’s the best, it’s the best. I always said, right from the first time I ever heard him play, that one day he will be one of the rock and roll players in history. Ya know? It will be like, a, it will be a historical name in rock and roll.”

Int: “It’s happened to him real fast.”

Ozzy Osbourne: “It will happen to him. It’ll get, it’ll.. he’s one of the best players in the world…(the world). .(the world). .(the world). .(the world)..”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:50 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

wow. its great to read the words that he actually said once. it amazing. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:13 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Thanks for the read iron, I didnt know about the backstage interview. Nice. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:07 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Thanks a ton for posting that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:39 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

That was great! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:08 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I always love to read interview's and etc. with Randy.. it's just something :wink: