It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Heavy Block Radio Interview w/Delores Rhoads-1995
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:21 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Here's the other part of the 1995 Heavy Block radio interview transcription, the first was with Rudy, now here's Delores Rhoads. Enjoy.

Heavy Block radio-3-19-95-Delores Rhoads
*Custom-transcribed by Ironface166 at http://www.randyrhoads.tk

Teri Richards: “I’m sitting here with Mrs. Delores Rhoads. Hi Mrs. Rhoads.”

Delores Rhoads: “Hi.”

TR: “I feel very privileged to be sitting here and talking to you, now that you’ve got the third annual…”

DR: “The third annual with the Guitar For The Practicing Musician….”

“TR: “They’re sponsoring it?”

DR: “Yes.”

TR: “So, this is the third year that you’ve been doing this?”

DR: “Right.”

TR: “So, how did you get this started-the concert benefit for Randy?”

DR: “Probably, Rudy was at the bottom of it.-Rudy Sarzo. He wanted to establish a scholarship for Randy in some way for several years and he talked to me each year and we would talk about ideas and so it just came together finally with the help of the magazine people. Of course, John Stix has long been a friend of Randy’s, interviewed Randy many times. They became interested to do it, so that was the start.”

TR: “So what inspired the trust fund?”

DR: “Well, that basically is way back. I established that, that was my idea.”

TR: “So it’s been going on longer than the benefit concert has?”

DR: “Oh my, yes. The charitable trust fund was established for the memory of Randy. I thought one of the best ways to do that would be to set up the scholarship in various universities.”

“Now Randy had planned to go back to school, attend a university, get his degree, and then get his Master degrees in classical guitar in Europe. But we were starting the plans, and since UCLA was my alma mater, I had investigated there first. Of course these plans were cut short, so I gave the first endowment scholarship to UCLA because of that connection, both with me and the plans Randy had. That was established, I believe , in 1987.”

“So then the magazine and Rudy approached me, that was just to enhance this. So with the two tribute concerts that have been given already, it was pretty close, a little under twenty thousand, so I established a scholarship at CSNR-that’s California State at North Ridge-in December of 93, basically based on these funds that were raised by these tribute concerts that we’re talking about.
I gave a little more, with the hope, of course, with the third one coming up, which as we know we had to change that. But that’s alright, that didn’t matter. I wanted to make sure it was an endowment scholarship, because the endowment scholarship will exist forever. They use only the interest. All the universities have their special ways of setting up the funds, so that the funds will go on as long as the university exists.”

TR: “So there are two universities…”

DR: “That have been established with the endowment scholarships at this point and they will continue. My objective with the trust fund is to have Randy’s name in front of people for as long as possible.”

TR: “So how does it work, for a young musician whose interested in going after the scholarship?”

DR: “They have to be in the music, a major in the music department. I stipulate that they have to be a performance major or interested in that vein. They have to have certain scholastic standards, they have to have a need for it. We have auditions once a year, usually in the spring, and I attend and we decide who gets the scholarship for that particular year.”

TR: “That’s good. Do they have to have a certain grade-point average?”

DR: “Oh yes, and we have it established so that the scholarship goes to the tuition-they can’t go down and buy pizza with it. And they have to be enrolled in the university, of course.”

TR: “So how old were you and when did it all begin for you?”

DR: “Well, I started at seven years old and started playing piano.”

TR: “So, Randy, like, took in your footsteps?”

DR:
“I guess you’re right.”

TR: “That’s great. Did you know that you wanted to play music?”

DR: “Uh, not at first, but I did soon. I studied piano first, because that’s good. That’s a foundation instrument and that’s very good. Then, when I was in junior high school, I took up trumpet and I was really into that because, you know, you get bound in orchestra work, you get to do a lot of things that are fun. So I was very interested in that. So by the time I was in high school, I wanted to follow music.”

TR: “You have two other children, are they musically-inclined too?”

DR: “Yes, my older boy, Randy’s brother, he’s in music.”

TR: “Is that Kelle?”

DR: “Yes, Kelle. He sings. He also plays drums. When they were young, they used to do a lot together, just for fun. And then my older boy decided he wanted to sing and not court the drums around all the time”.(Laughs)

TR: “Being Randy’s mom-from one mom to another…”

DR: “Yes?”

TR: “You probably have a plethora of memories, but do you have one special one that just touches your heart?”

DR: “Oh yes, definitely. Of course, there could be many. I could refer way back, but fortunately, it was a short time before the accident, let’s put it that way. Randy came home from touring. He just had a short break, he just had a few days, came home, of course. We both had busy schedules. Of course, his was tremendously pressured, because of traveling and all. But somehow we just had that morning where we weren’t pressured time-wise, so he said, “Mom, come on, let’s play some duets. Get your flute out.” And flute and classical guitar go very well together and we just had the greatest session playing for, I would say, about two hours or two and a half hours.”

TR: “Oh, man…”

DR: “And that is such a nice memory because we enjoyed that so much.”

TR: “I bet.”

DR: “It really was lovely. He had his classical guitar music and there were two parts and I said, “That’s fine, don’t worry, I’ll transpose it.” So I transposed it and played it on the flute.”

TR: “Did you ever record any of those things, just for fun?”

DR: “No, no. We just did it because we enjoyed it so much.”

TR: “Is there one particular thing that you would like to say to Randy’s fans?”

DR: “I’ve appreciated the time to talk to them, because talking is very good therapy when you’ve had a tragedy and so they’ve really carried me through all these years.”

TR: “That’s wonderful.”

DR: “So, I just want to say ‘thank you’.”

TR:
“Delores, I’d like to thank you for taking some time out and speaking with me.”

DR: “You’re certainly welcome. This is Delores Rhoads. Randy’s mother, and this is a tribute to Randy by Teri Richards on the Heavy Block.”

TR: “That’s wonderful. We’d like to thank Rudy Sarzo and Mrs. Delores Rhoads for sharing a bit of themselves and their memories of Randy with us and would also like to thank Josh Rockleman for setting this all up. And we’d like to thank you for remembering Randy in your thoughts and prayers. He’ll live on forever through those who remember.”

Last edited by ironface166 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:07 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Much appreciated Iron!
Delores is such a nice, nice woman, loved the story about her and Randy having a duet.
Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:13 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Great job again Ironface. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:17 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

thanks alot ironface , great post !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:46 am 

That was tremendous!

Many thanks

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:58 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanx that was killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:59 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

that was great , thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:39 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Another great job by ironface166! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:27 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

that woman is wonderfull i love her for the way she is to all of us :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:57 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

She is for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:59 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I really love that part of the interview where Mrs. Rhoads talks about not recording her duet with her son. Music playing is so much fun when your around like-minded people who you can relax with. Who needs a recording machine to spoil the moment.

Nevertheless, I am sure glad someone recorded this touching interview.
Moreover, thanks for transcribing and posting it here in this forum.

Ray