It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quiet Riot KROQ Radio Interview Transcript-June 1979
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:42 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Most of you may have heard this interview, but here it is in black and white for those that would like to have it to read. :wink: Kevin, Randy, Rudy and Drew in a radio interview they did around the first week of June in 1979. Some funny stuff, as well as maybe some not too commonly known information.

Quiet Riot Radio Interview-FM 106.7 KROQ June 1979
(Custom-transcribed by Ironface166 at http://www.randyrhoads.tk)

Host: I’m very much lucky, cause I’ve got all of them sitting right around me-eat your hearts out girls. Alright, they are all here. All of the Quiet Riot guys and I’m gonna let everybody introduce themselves. Alright, start there and we’re all gonna have to get real close.

Kevin Dubrow: “Me-me-me. Kevin Dubrow”.

Drew Forsyth: “I’m Drew Forsyth, the bassoon player of Quiet Riot.”

Rudy Sarzo: “Here’s Rudy.”

Randy Rhoads: “Wandy Whoads.”

Host: “Wandy, you gotta get closer cause you got a quieter voice.”

Kevin: “Cause he’s wittle”

Host: “Cause you’re little, yes. Well, first of all, of course, the obvious question is how did Quiet Riot form and who named you?”

Kevin: “Well, Randy can tell you how we formed and I can tell you who named us. Randy, why don’t you tell us how we formed?”

Randy: “Okay, um…”

Host: “Nothing dirty now…”

Randy: “No, no, no, ahhh…”

Drew: “It all started in a laboratory in…”

(Laughter)

Randy: “We knew this, umm, half-breed named Hillary, and uh, she…”

Kevin: “Ohhh! Good way to start off tonight, folks..”

Randy: “She, uh, said she knew a really good-looking singer with a great voice…”

Kevin: “Heyyyy…yeahhhh!”

Rudy: “What happened to that guy?”

Kevin: (Clears throat)

Host: “Yeah, what happened to him?”

Randy: “And, umm, being as how we had been through about 6000 singers…we called him up and, um, we talked to him and we had the same tastes, so Kevin and I got together and, um, we started writing songs, before the band was actually formed, ya know.”

Host: “Where are you from originally?”

Randy: “I’m from Burbank-so is Drew.”

Host: “So the band was formed here? Close to Japan. And so you guys were forming right here…this is where you became…LA is your home base.”

Randy: “Uh huh.”

Host: “Yeah?”

Kevin: “The way we got the name, Quiet Riot, is…uh, oh, a friend of mine, whose in a group called Status Quo, English band. His name is Ricky Parfitt, he’s a rhythm guitar player. We used to be called something else and I told him the name of the band-what we used to be called-and he said…(clears throat). He said “If I had a band I’d call it Quite Rite and I said, “Hey, this Quite Rite..say it in English” and he said “Quiet Riot”. And so I took it to the guys in rehearsal that night and they went, “Uh…cool!”

Host: “So, I gotta know-what was the name, the previous name?”

(Chuckles, laughs)

Host: “Come on.”

Drew: “Top of the dung heap.”

Kevin: “It was, uh, Little Women.”

Host: “Really? Are you kidding?”

Drew: “Serious”.

Host: “Oh no. No wonder you changed it.”

Kevin: “That was for about a week. Then Randy got a haircut.”

Host: “Yes, and went to Sweden, right? But the album that you have out now, a lot of people have had trouble finding it because it is on CBS Japan. How did it happen that an album like this gets released on a Japanese label? Did you record it in Japan? Did you record it here? How did this album happen?”

Kevin: “Well, our managers managed Angel at the time of this album and Angel were really big in Japan at the time. So we were having some problems getting a deal here, so they went over to Japan and they were into the way the band looked, the way the band sounded and everything, so we got a deal over there. We recorded the album here and it was released there. This is the 2nd album for Japan.”

Randy: “We were originally on an American label and we made this for America, like, years ago.”

Host: “Yeah?”

Randy: “And being as we couldn’t do anything with it, cause we lost the deal…..”

Host: “That’s God coming down and blessing..”

Kevin: “Oh my God. The light shines on.”

Randy: “So our manager managed to salvage it and sell it to Japan.”

Kevin: “That was the first album, that’s not the one with “Slick Black Cadillac” on it.”

Randy: “No, but that’s how we got the deal.”

Host: “That’s how you got the deal. So I understand that you have 2 albums that are available only through special, uh, ya know, writing to Japanese labels or something. What about here in America? Is there anything happening with companies here? What’s going on?”

Kevin: “Well, what’s happening is we don’t have a record contract in the United States right now, but we’re in a real similar position to, say, what Van Halen was in about 2 years ago. Every time they played somewhere they were selling it out and the record companies were kind of going to sleep-kind of snoozing over the group-and the audiences were, ya know, going crazy. So we’re just trying to get some record company interest here.”

Host: “Well, hopefully, this will spark some interest. This is “Slick Black Cadillac” by Quiet Riot.”

SLICK BLACK CADILLAC

Host: “That’s quite a scoop, ya know, really.”

Kevin: “Hahaha.”

Host: “Just found out that the prettiest member of the band wasn’t even on the record. I love it to death. Umm…so this album, being out in Japan, pretty much, you’ve gotta have some kind of really heavy reaction from the Japanese people. Like, do you go over there and play a lot and what’s the reaction of the Japanese and …”

Drew: “The Japanese loved us when the first album came out because the image is so strong and, ya know, Japanese girls really identify with looks, but unfortunately, because of our last managers-who didn’t help us a lot-uh, we haven’t gone over there.”

Kevin: “Sorry Warren.”

(Laughter)

Drew: “But we had a tour offer and they turned it down and, unfortunately, since then our support from the Japanese has dwindled a bit, because you gotta go over there and play, ya gotta support the album.”

Host: “Yeah, right. They gotta see what you look like. Well, as far as this album, I don’t know how I got a hold of it.”

Kevin: “I sent it to ya.”

Host: “You did? Oh, you sweet love.”

Kevin: “Thank you very much.”

Host: “How did you know I was gonna play it? You just knew I was great right?”

Kevin: “Because I knew that seeing the cover of this album ya know, I knew…”

(Laughs)

Rudy: “We knew you had taste.”

Kevin: “We heard you were into football players.”

Host: “Yeah, I know and I am totally. I was hoping that the football players were you guys. I was real disappointed.”

Kevin: “The guy with the helmet and the button on the helmet, that’s Randy Rhoads.”

Drew: “The four of us weigh as much as him.”

Host: “Who are those masked men anyway?”

Kevin: “They’re with the Valley College football team, varsity.”

Host: “Oh.”

Kevin: “Well, see, that’s UCLA uniforms cause Valley College couldn’t afford their own uniforms.”

(Laughter)

Host: “I love it.”

Kevin: “Little known trivia fact for ya folk.”

Host: “Well, tell me some of the things that went into recording “Slick Black Cadillac” and, well, pretty much the rest of the album. Like, who writes?”

Drew: “Some basil and some Rose Mary..”

Host: “Who writes in the band? Do all of you write or is it pretty much left up in the air?”

Drew: (To Rudy) “He doesn’t know how to write yet, ya know.”

Host: “No, he’s just pretty. That’s okay.”

Kevin: “Well, Randy and myself-Kevin Dubrow, lead singer of Quiet Riot-wrote all of the material up until Rudy got in the band. We’ve just been recording at The Record Plant doing a demo and we’ve recorded a song that Rudy wrote called “Shakedown”. We’ve been doing it live. But Randy and I wrote…”

Host: “Unfortunately, we had a tape try, but it didn’t quite work out. When something does come, I get it, yes?”

Drew: “Oh, I can get you a track copy of that.”

Host: “Okay. Super, super.”

Kevin: “You almost heard “One In A Million” folk and Pete. Sorry.”

Host: “So how long were you in the studio and how long did it take to get the album together?”

Kevin: “Oh God, I had two birthdays in that time.”

Host: “Really?”

Kevin: “No, it just seems like it though.”

Drew: “It took a long time because we were going in and out when everybody else cancelled, ya know.”

Host: “I was gonna say, if you were being released on a Japanese label, what kind of…the Japanese sent over their people, their little currier with money for you to do it in the studio or did you have to do it pretty much on a wing and a prayer?”

Randy: “Well, actually our managers had to loan most of the money because it took so long to communicate back and forth.”

Drew: “Yeah, part of most deals is that they pay you upon delivery anyways, so…”

Host: “Would you have preferred to record in Japan, because the equipment is awfully good?”

Drew: “No, from what I hear, the studios-the best studios in the world-are here in the United States, so…I tend to think that where we recorded this album was one of the best places. Record Plant-LA. It’s a great studio.”

Host: “Yeah, I totally agree with you. So now that you’ve started to go out and people have finally stated to see you-I was wondering when you guys were ever gonna play after having the album so long..What are the plans? Cause you sold out The Whiskey…”

Kevin: “Yea!!” (Claps)

Host: “We got The Palamino coming up and you also have this wonderful California Concert West. People, which have you playing…”

Kevin: “At the Culver City Civic Auditorium this Friday night Folk and Pete. Whitefang and me will both be there.”

Host: “So are you gonna be playing around a lot to kind of get the…”

Drew: “Yeah, we’ll also be playing live.”

Host: “Oh yeah”

(Laughs)

Rudy: “Also gonna be at The Whiskey the 26th. We’re gonna be back there Tuesday.”

Kevin: “Oh, we’re gonna be at The Palamino Sunday night. We’re gonna all come up and stick horses. We’re gonna have a riot.”

Host: “So you’re back in the studio. Is these some plan for an American label or are you just in there doing a demo for yourselves?”

Rudy: “We just went in there with, like, just went in there with the most commercial material we could put together, ya know. We just wanted to show the record companies that we could make them money. Cause I know it takes a lot of money to go into a band once it’s signed. You know, it’s like, about a quarter of a million dollars and they wanna get every single penny back, plus make money. It’s not that what we’re gonna do as a demo is gonna be our definite style, but we just wanna show them that we’re not only pretty, but we can make money too.”

Host: “Oh yes.”

Kevin: “Like hit singles.”

Randy: “Ya see, the problem is we can’t get them down to these gigs and what they think, on this album, they don’t believe it’s commercial, so we went ahead and gave them the most commercial thing we could find.”

Host: “So what is that? How many tunes?”

Randy: “Just two.”

Host: “Just two tunes? Alright.”

Rudy: “Two very short, hooky songs.”

Host: “Well, listen guys, I really wish you all the very best of luck. This is another dynamite track called “Killer Girls” and looking at them, I bet they do. (Pause) Today Dusty, today.”

KILLER GIRLS

Host: “That’s a terrible insult to you too man. The lead singer of the band has got a lousy radio voice.”

(Laughing)

Kevin: “Hey!!”

Host: That was “Killer Girls” and we have absolutely something very, very special for you right from ROQ and Rudy is gonna tell us about it.”

Rudy: “This is Rudy and with a message from Quiet Riot and KROQ. Take your slick black cadillac to the Culver City Civic to see Quiet Riot, courtesy of your friends at the ROQ. You can call me at ***-****. That’s ***-**** for a pair of complimentary passes to see Quiet Riot from FM 106.7 KROQ.”

Host: “And you’ll even get to talk to the guys from Quiet Riot when you call. Okay? I do have a winner. Just one more thing before I let these lovely men out of my studio. A little announcement.”

Kevin: “Hi Folk. This is Kevin from Quiet Riot telling you that we’re gonna be playing, as you know, at the Culver City Civic this Friday night and at The Palomino, uh, Sunday June 17th and we’ll be back at The Whiskey-A-Go-Go Tuesday June 26th. And Quiet Riot has a fan club.

Host: “Yea!!” (Claps)

Kevin: “Ohh yeah. For all of those of you who would like to join our fan club, our big pal, Lori Hollen, is the head of our fan club and you can join it. That’s Lori Hollen and her address is**************. And speaking for all of the rest of the guys in the group, we wanna thank everybody who always comes to all of our shows and makes us what we are.”

Host: “And if you didn’t get that phone number I’m sure the guys will leave it with me and you can call me here at the ROQ and I’ll be glad to give it to you. I will be also very glad to get myself down to either, Culver City Friday night, The Palomino on June 17th or The Whiskey the 26th. And if you don’t do it and you call me for a request, I’m gonna tell you something ugly. Thanks a lot guys. Good luck.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:53 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Good read thanks!! lol Wandy Whoads part lol made me laugh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:28 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I hope people realise how long it takes to transcribe something like this. :)
Hat's off to Ironface. 8)
He continually provides the www with things like this in his spare time.
Amazing.
Thanks Iron' for sharing all this stuff and taking the time to keep Randy fans happy and keep the RR flame burning brightly.
Your dedication to Mr.Rhoads is appreciated big time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:44 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Well said Des. Thanks for transcribing that Iron!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:02 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Great read man, quite funny too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:11 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Much apreciated Iron!
That interview had me giggling :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:16 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Always love reading about the early Randy Rhoads time. That was a fun read. Thanks to Ironface. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:35 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Des wrote:
I hope people realise how long it takes to transcribe something like this. :)
Hat's off to Ironface. 8)
He continually provides the www with things like this in his spare time.
Amazing.
Thanks Iron' for sharing all this stuff and taking the time to keep Randy fans happy and keep the RR flame burning brightly.
Your dedication to Mr.Rhoads is appreciated big time.

I second that iron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:34 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

:wink: These old Quiet Riot interviews are really funny! Gotta watch some of the videos...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:41 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Wow thatnks for spending all that time!

Is it "folk and Pete" OR is it "Folk and Peep" as in People?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
http://www.myspace.com/87ben87

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:50 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

benwilson wrote:
Wow thatnks for spending all that time!

Is it "folk and Pete" OR is it "Folk and Peep" as in People?

Sounded like Pete. Maybe refferring to friend Pete Wilkerson. :?
Not sure.