It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:55 am 
On Thin Ice

ironface166 wrote:
OnTheRhoads wrote:
Gabriel Raphael wrote:

and i am still wondering what pick ups where on Randy's "original sin" v.

His Jackson pinstripe v and Jackson PCS had: Duncan Distortion in bridge and Jazz in the neck

polka dot v was: DiMarzio Super distortion in bridge and PAF in neck

Just go to the very first post in this thread with the pictures and specs on all the guitars and there it is. :wink:

Yeah your right :)

I was looking for the exact model i guess., allot of people complain about the Duncans in the RR guitars, they don't sound bad but they also do not have the high gain for what they expect to use these guitars for.

Here are the exact models, i never used Seymore Duncans so i di dnot know there details till now.
Quote:
Duncan Distortion™ SH-6 and TB-6
* High output humbucker built for aggressive playing styles. Recommended for old school metal, nu-metal, gothic, garage, punk, thrash and other heavy rock styles. Great for drop tunings.
Then there are these that came out later:

Full Shred™ SH-10 and TB-10
* High output tone for heavy rhythms and speed riffs. Used for classic rock, heavy rock, hip hop, fusion and aggressive solo playing.

Dimebucker™ SH-13
* Ultra high output blade humbucker built for aggressive playing styles. Recommended for rock, metal, hard-hitting solos and other heavy rock styles.

Invader SH-8
* Ultra high output humbucker built for aggressive playing styles. Recommended for punk, garage, thrash, metal and other heavy rock styles.

Been my RR3 pro (white) has a Sh-2 in the neck position (more less Jazz) it kind of bugged me out the first time i played it., i am used to Distortions and PAFs.

Jazz Model™ SH-2

* Classic moderate output humbucker. Especially popular in neck position. Don't let the name fool you; it's not only great for jazz, but also country, blues, funk, classic rock and heavy rock.

And in the bridge i have that JB TB4 (Jeff Beck), man these sounds really great!, but again i prefer distortions when i use the guitar with Marshalls.

Duncan Distortion™ SH-6 and TB-6
* High output humbucker built for aggressive playing styles. Recommended for old school metal, nu-metal, gothic, garage, punk, thrash and other heavy rock styles. Great for drop tunings.

I have a Ibenez RG450 and its loaded with a Dimarzio PAF and Distortion pick up, having a Floyd Rose and going so low you need higher output pick ups capable of picking up strings that loose all over the place when you do bomb dives. :)

The picks ups sound great still, i just can sense the strings sounding a bit weaker during bomb dives and also feedback.

Maybe ill get the Duncan or Dimarzio Distortion for the bridge then, anyone here try out the Dimebucker or invador pick ups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:08 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Were Randy's guitars tapped on the back to protect the finish? It looks like some of Randy's outfits could do some serious damage to the back, so i was wondering if he just tapped the entire back of them all. look at this one (one of my favorite vests), look at all the studs around the waist :shock:

I know the pinstripe v was tapped on the top with balck scotch tape, but what about the backs on all of them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:28 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

In this pic you see that Randy's PDV was tapped on the top as well (not sure about back yet)

Here, you can see the LP wasn't tapped on the top. Look at the top at the hip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:40 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

in this picture, you can see his lp isn't tapped on the back.

Post subject: What are the measurements of Randy's Sandoval V?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:40 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

My brother is making a replica of Randy's Sandoval V and me and him were wondering what are the measurements of the guitar. If anyone here could tell me the measurements on every-part of the guitar, body, neck, headstock, etc., that would be awesome! I'm a big Rhoads fan and so is my brother, he's making the replica for a class project for woods. And me and him want to it to come out as close as possible to Randy's guitar, so please, if anyone here knows the measurements to the guitar, hit me up. I'll even post pictures of the replica guitar once when get it built. I was also wondering what pick-ups to use, I have a slight idea that Randy used Seymour Duncan pick-ups, and I know they were cream-colored humbuckers. But is there any pick-ups I can get just as good as those but for a cheaper price, like a 25-50 dollar price range for both humbuckers in cream color? And is there anybody here that has/or knows someone who made their own replica of the Sandoval V? I was wondering what tips they would have. I'm also thinking about asking Karl Sandoval himself about the measurement and specifacations about Randy's V, because I saw that you can contact him. Overall, that's what's on mind and what I need to know.

Post subject: Re: What are the measurements of Randy's Sandoval V?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:59 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

K-Man wrote:
My brother is making a replica of Randy's Sandoval V and me and him were wondering what are the measurements of the guitar. If anyone here could tell me the measurements on every-part of the guitar, body, neck, headstock, etc., that would be awesome! I'm a big Rhoads fan and so is my brother, he's making the replica for a class project for woods. And me and him want to it to come out as close as possible to Randy's guitar, so please, if anyone here knows the measurements to the guitar, hit me up. I'll even post pictures of the replica guitar once when get it built. I was also wondering what pick-ups to use, I have a slight idea that Randy used Seymour Duncan pick-ups, and I know they were cream-colored humbuckers. But is there any pick-ups I can get just as good as those but for a cheaper price, like a 25-50 dollar price range for both humbuckers in cream color? And is there anybody here that has/or knows someone who made their own replica of the Sandoval V? I was wondering what tips they would have. I'm also thinking about asking Karl Sandoval himself about the measurement and specifacations about Randy's V, because I saw that you can contact him. Overall, that's what's on mind and what I need to know.

Randy's pickups were dimarzio's (as the first page says), a PAF in neck and Super Distortion in bridge. the PAF alone will cost above $50 and the superdistortion above $60. Your best bet for your price range is check ebay for random cream color pickups, they wont sound as good but make it look athentic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:48 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Well, I don't mind putting just a little bit extra into the guitar, so I'll go for what Randy had. But what were the measurements?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:53 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

K-Man wrote:
Well, I don't mind putting just a little bit extra into the guitar, so I'll go for what Randy had. But what were the measurements?

This was asked a while ago, and i'm pretty sure no one knows, not even Karl!!! Your best bet for the body is find measurements of a Gibson flying v, but you're going have to go with your instinct on the headstock. Have you guys ever made a guitar before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:59 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Nope, this is going to be our 1st guitar, so it's going to be very hard to make, since we lack guitar-building skills, but we're doing our homework and hopefully our efforts will be at least half-way decent. That's why I'm seeking help with this, this is our tribute to Randy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:19 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Some time ago, someone asked this same question. I responded because I own a Sandoval V and gave up all the measurements he needed.
Try using the search function and look for that thread.

Also, as a guitar builder myself, might I suggest getting practice in the art (and it is an art) of making instruments before tackling the Sandoval? Read some books on guitar repair and building and actually make a few guitars first. Trying to build a guitar like this on your first go isn't such a good idea.
Do you guys have any experience in wood-working?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:23 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Well, my bro wants to make the guitar for a school project and it's for Advanced Woods and he's taken Intro to Woods the year before so I think he might have some skill, plus the teacher is offering him help and I think he's been teaching for years, so yeah, I think exprience is probably covered. As for me, rock music has always been my biggest interest, I play bass in a band I founded and I'm getting into guitar alot, with Randy being my biggest influence in that field. The whole process on making an excellent guitar has grabbed my interest as well and I want to learn and see if I got what it takes to make a riff-shreddin' killin' machine. I know the Sandoval V is not the best choice for a 1st guitar, but for some reason, I got a hunch me and my bro can pull it off if took our time and knew exactly what we're doing. I'll search for the Sandoval measurements you said you posted a while back, as you said. I'll let you know if I can find it ok and when the guitar gets built and finished, I'll post some pictures up for all of you to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:59 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I wish you well on the project... there's a guitar building thread around here somewhere as well that suggests some good books if you're looking for further assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:44 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

as far as TAPING the back of the PDV, if you watch the After Hours clips, there is no tape on the back of it. You can see the white plates covering up the circuitry. I hope this helps a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:02 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

K-Man wrote:
Well, my bro wants to make the guitar for a school project and it's for Advanced Woods and he's taken Intro to Woods the year before so I think he might have some skill, plus the teacher is offering him help and I think he's been teaching for years, so yeah, I think exprience is probably covered. As for me, rock music has always been my biggest interest, I play bass in a band I founded and I'm getting into guitar alot, with Randy being my biggest influence in that field. The whole process on making an excellent guitar has grabbed my interest as well and I want to learn and see if I got what it takes to make a riff-shreddin' killin' machine. I know the Sandoval V is not the best choice for a 1st guitar, but for some reason, I got a hunch me and my bro can pull it off if took our time and knew exactly what we're doing. I'll search for the Sandoval measurements you said you posted a while back, as you said. I'll let you know if I can find it ok and when the guitar gets built and finished, I'll post some pictures up for all of you to see.

the only hard part is going to be painting in evenly, but good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:58 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

someone posted pics a few years back of randys PDV now, the finish had bubbled or something, anyone have those images?

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:19 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

CliffDimeRandy wrote:
someone posted pics a few years back of randys PDV now, the finish had bubbled or something, anyone have those images?

Here you go. From 2002:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:57 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Jesus...

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:28 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

ironface166 wrote:
CliffDimeRandy wrote:

Here you go. From 2002:

wow im guessing it hasnt been played since he died it looks awful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:51 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I'm kind of hoping that the flare angle from the light accentuates the blemishes... :shock:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:34 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Wow, that finished really aged.

Post subject: Re: Randy's Guitars
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:17 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

It is so sad what happened to that guitar. I can't believe someone would put it direct sunlight like that. I hope the other guitars are in better shape.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:20 am 

PDV4G63EVO wrote:
I hope the other guitars are in better shape.

I can't speak for the White Les Paul, but the Jackson has held up nicely. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1839&hilit=csun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:34 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Has anyone seen his Les Paul? I haven't been able to find any recent pics of it online.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:36 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

PDV4G63EVO wrote:
Has anyone seen his Les Paul? I haven't been able to find any recent pics of it online.

There are none. Last one made public was with Delores in 1982.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:16 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I hope we get a good look at in the doc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:58 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

/\I was actully thinking about that earlier, if we saw the Les Paul in today's condition in the Doc. That would be neat!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:59 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I know its an earlier post but some were asking about the unfinished black Jackson with the upside down inlays. This is probably owned by Vinnie Vincent as he reportedly owns the first 3 prototypes of the finished RR model as he was the 1st to use them after Randy. In the Guitar World Randy 10th anniversary issue (I think its that issue) Grover Jackson talks about selling a prototype to "some kid who doesn't realize what he's got". I'm guessing this mystery kid has this guitar as all the ones Vinnie use with Kiss had early Floyd Rose vibratos on them and this one was set up for a Fender style vibrato and also because Grover worked closely with Vinnie during his Kiss years & when he made Vinnie's custom double vee, I'm sure he would have remembered if it was Vinnie he sold it to! Then again they could have had the screw holes filled and the body re-routed for a Floyd and re-sprayed as Vinnie didn't use a black RR.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:19 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

shramiac wrote:
I know its an earlier post but some were asking about the unfinished black Jackson with the upside down inlays. This is probably owned by Vinnie Vincent as he reportedly owns the first 3 prototypes of the finished RR model as he was the 1st to use them after Randy. In the Guitar World Randy 10th anniversary issue (I think its that issue) Grover Jackson talks about selling a prototype to "some kid who doesn't realize what he's got". I'm guessing this mystery kid has this guitar as all the ones Vinnie use with Kiss had early Floyd Rose vibratos on them and this one was set up for a Fender style vibrato and also because Grover worked closely with Vinnie during his Kiss years & when he made Vinnie's custom double vee, I'm sure he would have remembered if it was Vinnie he sold it to! Then again they could have had the screw holes filled and the body re-routed for a Floyd and re-sprayed as Vinnie didn't use a black RR.

Vinnie said this in Guitar World in 1984 (that Grover wanted Vinnie to represent the RR model) however he didn't get any of the 3 guitars being made (never finished till much later) for Randy according to Grover Jackson. The one Grover accidentally sold to some kid (not Vinnie) at NAMM was a year or two after Randy's death and Vinnie was playing a Jackson RR model a few months after Randy died just not one that was made for Randy. Vinnie however was the first national player to play that Jackson model in a major band on tour though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:27 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Cool,nice to know that. I was just quoting Vinnie from Guitar World March '87 where he says that he owns the 3 RR prototypes! Then again, the interview was that badly written (the writer called the RR model a strat????), Vinnie may have been talking about the 3 protos of his own model and it all got mixed up! I pretty sure he did have 3 of his own models made by Grover at the time so maybe this is where the confusion occurred!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:49 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

edroman.com is stating they have an RR1 with the serial No.3 for $9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fake or not???? Ole Ed baby doesn't have the best reputation.......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next