It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:08 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Just wondering if anyone knows what make of acoustic guitars Randy played on Blizzard and Diary? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:40 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

does anyone know how randy got the les paul's original color of white changed to cream? did he get it painted tht way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:47 pm 

OnTheRhoads wrote:
does anyone know how randy got the les paul's original color of white changed to cream? did he get it painted tht way?

Simply put...Age.

The nitrocellulose lacquer finish that Gibson uses yellows with age and when exposed to certain elements (Such as sunlight, smokey bar rooms, etc)

I actually posted a more detailed explanation in another thread, so I'll just paste it for ya here. :wink:

-------

Gibson uses nitrocellulose lacquer for its finish on their guitars because nitrocellulose is considered the ideal finish for guitars, it has a beautiful crisp shine, and is pretty much the best when it comes to preserving it’s sound (because nitro is a thinner lacquer, it allows the wood to breathe and age). As it ages, nitrocellulose lacquer hardens, that hardening is part of what gives old guitars that "vintage tone".

However nitrocellulose lacquer yellows over the years with age, and even quicker if exposed to direct sunlight, smokey bars, etc for prolonged periods of time. Gibson even includes documentation with their guitars warning vendors to not display Gibson guitars in direct sunlight because of the fact that sunlight will cause the nitro finish to yellow prematurely.

It doesn’t take long for the nitro to start to turn color either. I bought my White Les Paul custom brand new in 2003 and it was as white as can be. Only a few years later and it is already starting to turn cream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:50 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Thanks LoQ, do you know much about his gold toggle switch cap and plate. dont les paul customs have stock black covers how did he get gold. (the cover on the front of the guitar where it says Rythem/Treble, not sure what its called :oops: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:29 pm 

OnTheRhoads wrote:
Thanks LoQ, do you know much about his gold toggle switch cap and plate. dont les paul customs have stock black covers

Yep they do.

OnTheRhoads wrote:
how did he get gold. (the cover on the front of the guitar where it says Rythem/Treble, not sure what its called :oops: )

I always heard that he just switched the black for the gold plates. I'm sure someone on here like Ironface (Our resident Randy expert) can give you a more definite answer. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:01 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

They're kinda hard to find, but if you look around, you can find them. I have a brass plate and gold toggle cap on my Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:43 pm 

James UK wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows what make of acoustic guitars Randy played on Blizzard and Diary? Thanks.
I was just wondering the same thing. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:03 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

dannyahansen wrote:
As I worked for guitar center i have enquiered about
Randys pinstrip Vs. I was told everytime that it was
not an option for them to build. So its quit unlikely
anybody is having one built by jackson. Unless you have
an inside guy at Jackson. Witch i dont.

thats why I bought a Jackson RR5.... plus its the most amazing guitar I've ever played :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:57 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Did Randy's PDV weigh more than the LPC?

I mean, it's huge!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:12 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

i'm not sure about Randy's, but I have a Gibson LPC and a Sandoval PDV and the PDV is a lot lighter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:45 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

ok thanks

Post subject: Tuners on Randy's Gisbon Les Paul Custom Guitar...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:13 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Did anyone notice that the tuners of the Gibson Les Paul Custom was different from the stock's models?....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:47 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

OnTheRhoads wrote:
Thanks LoQ, do you know much about his gold toggle switch cap and plate. dont les paul customs have stock black covers how did he get gold. (the cover on the front of the guitar where it says Rythem/Treble, not sure what its called :oops: )

I looked around for brass units to put on the white LP I just bought but had no luck. I went with an alternative that I could find :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Switch-Surround-Rin ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gold-Metal-Toggle-S ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:01 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

clifford wrote:
does anybody know how i could get a guitar like randys origional pinstripe jackson :?:

Hey everyone, I know this was an old post but I thought I would chime in here in case anyone else was looking.

Jackson made a very limited run of the "shortwing" V's like the white pinstripe prototype that Randy had. There were seven of them made and they were made by Mike Shannon from the Jackson Custom Shop. They are supposedly made from the original template they used for the white guitar. From what I've heard, it's not even confirmed that there was a template for the white guitar but you can take that for what it's worth.

Anyway, they have the same "shortwing" body design of the original along with the smaller/skinnier headstock, toggle on top, etc... and are said to be the best replica of the white pinstripe V out. They sometimes show up for sale on places like Ebay, but bring HUGE money when they do.

Jackson also made a limited run in 1992 of LTD models as well. There were to be 200 made with 100 sporting the vintage trem and 100 with Floyds. A friend of mine, who is a MEGA RR fan had the fortune to own LTD-003-VTS and also a Polka Dot Sandoval V made by the man himself. He has since sold both those guitars and the LTD now resides with another collector by the name of Brett (last I heard anyway). Here is a picture of the LTD on Brett's site:

Supposedly, the story went that the first 20 or so guitars of each serial number from each line (vintage and Floyd) were bought by collectors in Japan. A music shop near my friends house (incedently, he also taught guitars at this music shop) had one on order with the Floyd for one of their customers and when it came in, the shop owner asked my friend if he wanted to play it before they handed it over. He said no, saying that it wouldn't be right for him to be the first to play it since it wasn't his. So, he just admired it and then the owner picked it up. End of story... or so he thought.

Turns out, for some reason Jackson shipped another of the LTD's to this same shop by mistake. When it arrived, the owner called Jackson and informed them of what had happened and asked if they wanted it back or should he just sell it. Jackson told him to sell it... So, knowing how big a fan of RR my friend is and the fact the he taught guitar lessons there.. He offered it to him at COST! Turns out it was the LTD seen in the picture above.. Serial number 003 with vintage trem!

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post. These guitars show up from time to time for sale, and if you're looking for an accurate replica the "shortwing" is probably the most accurate with the LTD a close second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:18 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

WAR IN D, the post above is very accurate, well done job. But i'm pretty sure we settled that question a long time ago. well, i wasn't a member then but i read old posts and found the answers. But i gotta give it to you, that was an excellent post with much research/knowledge behind it. WELCOME!!! :D *r*

Post subject: Re: Randy's Guitars
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:23 pm 

I thought Randy didnt use his les paul when recording because I remember hearing he used his polka dot v for most songs including crazy train

You very misinformed because if u look on the After Hours or any live show when Randy plays crazy train he uses his Les Paul

RIP Randy 1956-1982

RIP Kevin 1955-2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:26 pm 

You were very misinformed about when Randy uses his Sandoval for crazy train he doesnt. He uses his Les Paul for crazy train because if u look at the After Hours or any live show u will find that he uses his Les Paul.

RIP Randy 1956-1982

RIP Kevin 1955-2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:54 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

The story about Randy using his PDV for Crazy Train comes from Max Norman, the sound engineer for the BOO and DOAM and he basically said, Randy used the LPC for the rhythm parts and the PDV for the solo work because of its higher end pickup range. Randy obviously played live with the LPC. So, in essence, everybody's right :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:12 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

What DOAM songs did Randy use the PDV in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:59 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

MikeyRhoads wrote:
What DOAM songs did Randy use the PDV in?

You are talking about the recording, right? Unknown for sure. I asked that of Bob Daisley in our Q&A with him and got this reply:

Ironface166 wrote:
Q: We are under the impression that when recording Diary, that Randy used his white Jackson to record "Over The Mountain", "Flying High Again" and "Believer" because that's what he played them live with. However, can you recall what guitars were used to record the other songs- "You Can't Kill Rock And Roll", "Little Dolls", "Tonight", "SATO" and "Diary Of A Madman"?

A: That's a tough one and I'm afraid it's too long ago to recall what guitar was used on what song, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:06 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Ah. I see thanks Iron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:13 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I was talking about Crazy Train in particular. I wish I knew what he recorded Tonight with, because it didn't sound like he used a whammy bar.

Post subject: Randy's Guitars
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:57 am 
On Thin Ice

Peace guys

I just picked up a few RR guitars, until i get CS Jacksons made i got the RR3 Pro LTD of 200 and a RR5 (black)

Quote:
Limited Edition finish Pro Series RR3

The Jackson Pro Series RR3 Rhoads electric guitar features a limited edition Snow White with Black Pinstripes finish for 2007.

The Jackson Pro Series RR3 Rhoads features an alder body and a bolt-on maple neck with compound radius rosewood fingerboard.The RR3 has been armed with Seymour Duncan JB TB4 and Jazz SH2N humbucking pickups a Jackson low-profile double-locking tremolo and black hardware to make this guitar superb for metal and rock.

Product Details:

* Model Name: Pro Series RR3 Rhoads Limited Edition
* Neck: Bolt-On Rock Maple with Scarf Joint Head Stock
* Neck Dimensions: 1st Fret: .745”, 12th Fret: .810”
* Tuning Machines: Sealed Die-Cast Tuners
* Fingerboard: Rosewood with Compound 14” to 16” Radius
* No. of Frets: 22 Jumbo Frets
* Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan JB TB4 Humbucking Pickup
* Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan Jazz SH2N Humbucking Pickup
* Controls: Volume (Bridge Pickup), Volume (Neck Pickup), Master Tone
* Bridge: Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson Low Profile JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo
* Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups Position 3. Neck Pickup
* Hardware: Black
* Strings NPS, Gauges: .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042
* Pickguard: Chrome
* Scale Length: 25.5” (648mm)
* Width at Nut : 1-11/16” (43mm)
* Unique Features: Jackson 6-In-Line Pointed Headstock, Compound (14” to 16”) Fingerboard Radius, MOTO Shark Fin Position Inlays, Ivoroid Binding on Neck and Headstock

What i wanted to ask here is what the difference between the pick ups of mine and Randy's aside a few other things i listed below..

So far i realize Randy's was :
1-Custom made
2-Fingerboard matching his Les Paul Custom from Ebony to inlays and white binding as well.
3-besides neck through design for greater sustain, his guitar was cut out from the back as to the RR5 and RR3 which are cut out the top for the electronics,
4-Randy's electronics where again designed after his Les Paul, 2 vol and 2 tones as to the later details given to have one Volume knob.

What i do not know is what pick ups Randy's guitar had.

can anyone elaborated a comparison between the electronics and also why on the Jackson world site the guy says no guitars where made before Randy died that he did not know about.

I know he used Dimarzio Distortions on the Sandoval V, did this decision to put the Duncans on all RR guitars come from Jackson then?

Here are my recent RR guitars:
This last picture here shows that the white V is also longer and bigger then the RR5.

I also added art to the pickguard as well:

the guitars feel and look great;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:35 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Since RR les paul was a 74 which was a Les Paul anniversay (20TH?) was there 2 custom gibson models in 74? I see the anniversary customs have a in lay indicating so on the 15th fret.Randy's didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:35 pm 
On Thin Ice

JAY wrote:
Since RR les paul was a 74 which was a Les Paul anniversay (20TH?) was there 2 custom gibson models in 74? I see the anniversary customs have a in lay indicating so on the 15th fret.Randy's didn't.

Hey your right!

Maybe it was a different year then.

i wonder how much it would cost to add white binding to my R3 fingerboard., Anyone know?

and i am still wondering what pick ups where on Randy's "original sin" v.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:59 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Gabriel Raphael wrote:
JAY wrote:

Hey your right!

Maybe it was a different year then.

i wonder how much it would cost to add white binding to my R3 fingerboard., Anyone know?

His Jackson pinstripe v and Jackson PCS had: Duncan Distortion in bridge and Jazz in the neck

polka dot v was: DiMarzio Super distortion in bridge and PAF in neck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:03 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Here are the overall specs (not sure about the tuners) These are what they use for the 25th anniversary models:
· Body: Neck-thru, vintage Rhoads, maple

· Neck: Maple 3-piece

· Fingerboard: Ebony

· Nut: Bone, 1-11/16

· Scale: 25.50

· Inlay: Original pearl rectangle block

· Frets: 22, small wire

· Hardware: Brass color, Gotoh tuners, non-locking

· Bridge: Brass, tremolo

· Pickups - Bridge: TB-6B No Logo, Neck: SH-2N No Logo

· Controls - 4 dome: 2 volume, 2 tone

· 3-way toggle: Bridge, Bridge/Neck, Neck

· Color: body snow white with black pinstripes, neck same as body, black head, vintage Jackson logo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:04 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

OnTheRhoads wrote:
Gabriel Raphael wrote:

His Jackson pinstripe v and Jackson PCS had: Duncan Distortion in bridge and Jazz in the neck

polka dot v was: DiMarzio Super distortion in bridge and PAF in neck

Just go to the very first post in this thread with the pictures and specs on all the guitars and there it is. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Image what about this 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:39 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

electric_angel wrote:
what about this 1

I only covered the electrics he used in concert and for recording the Ozzy albums during the Ozzy years. This one didn't apply. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next