It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Randy's Stage Outfits (Ozzy Years)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:03 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

1982 US Diary Of A Madman Tour
Black leather studded vest (front and back). This is the last one he wore onstage.

Zip up black vest with studded armbands

Open black leather vest with studded patterns on shoulders and front

Zip up black vest with zippers on front and lapels. Wore hanging chains around belt.

Open purple leather vest with studded shoulders and studded waist band

1981 Blizzard Of Ozz Tours

Black button up vest

Black vest with front zippers (diagonal) and lapel (Note: This vest looks the same as the zipperd one he wore on the Diary tour)

Black vest with vertical zippers on front

Black button-up vest (this one seems looser than the others and made of different material-rarely seen in photos)

Red vest and pants outfit

Gold/brown vest and pants outfit

1980 UK Blizzard Of Ozz Tour

Blue vest with small white polka dots

Blue vest with larger polka dots

Note: Randy also wore a straight black button-up vest on the UK 80 tour, likely the same one he later wore on the 81 Blizzard tours.

Last edited by ironface166 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:24 pm 

Very nicely done Iron. Thanks a bunch! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:29 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Thank you very much amigo :) the purple one looks awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:51 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

i've become accustomed to seeing the studs and leather outfits after all these years. at first i was a little put off. it was like putting a studded dog collar on a kitten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:44 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanks Iron! Glad to see them in all together like that.
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:49 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Very cool Ironface. Thanks for putting up the thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:24 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Thanks for putting that together!
Cool how he makes all of them look awesome. Not many people could pull off that red attire!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:46 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

help me out iron. it sure looks like there's a cigarette cooly dangling from our boys mouth in the first photo/your avatar. am i seeing things or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:49 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

It looks like a pick,frank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:06 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Yeah I think it's a pick. He's playing a finger tapping section of a song in that one (probably FHA?), so he freed his fingers up by putting the pick in his mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:34 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ahhh. thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:53 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Mr.Coneman wrote:
Yeah I think it's a pick. He's playing a finger tapping section of a song in that one (probably FHA?), so he freed his fingers up by putting the pick in his mouth.

To be honest, Randy did most of his tapping with his pick, not his fingers and I think in that shot he is holding his pick between his thumb and index finger (on the other side of the guitar neck). I thought that looked like a cigarette also for a long time, but someone said it may be a piece of his hair between his teeth, which I can't seem to match up. :? Looks kinda like a smoke to me still. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:49 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Has Randy ever been known to smoke while performing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:24 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I've never seen any evidence during QR or Ozzy years of him smoking on stage.
Nice thread Iron! *r*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:42 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Iron - I know I'll risk going down in flames on this one as you are quite a Randy expert - BUT...

The tapping with a pick thing definitely occurs on I Don't Know but you'll notice what most tapping fiends do which is that tapping with the pick gives a much more shrill tone and definitely doesn't mesh well with the other finger induced tones - there's a distinct difference when you do it that way and most players agree that it's just a less controllable, less efficient way to do it as opposed to index or middle finger .

I am basing this on 25+ years of tapping mania (and sure - not all of it that pretty either LOL!) but also much of that time watching for clues/tips/angles to improve the approach. But hey, don't take my word on it - watch the After Hours vid of Crazy Train - like I just did and discover how annoying it is that the camera man focused on RUDY at the start of the solo... :roll: Ha! Okay - so that idea is useless!!!

Anyway - the pick in the photo kinda looks right but he could have it in the index finger curled up like you said - either way, it's the middle finger tapping here!
\
BTW, nice pic of the final black Jackson - haven't seen many of Randy using it!

Last edited by bdotson on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:43 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Des wrote:

Me neither. Soundcheck-yes, onstage performing-no. What is confusing is if you look close at it, it is too long to be a pick and no hair seems to be coming around from that side of his face in the shot, but he definitily has his teeth clamped on something. *? Another Randy mystery to ponder. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:56 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

ironface166 wrote:
Des wrote:

Me neither. Soundcheck-yes, onstage performing-no. What is confusing is if you look close at it, it is too long to be a pick and no hair seems to be coming around from that side of his face in the shot, but he definitily has his teeth clamped on something. *? Another Randy mystery to ponder. :lol:

I really don't mean to take this thread off topic,but I blew that picture up,and zoomed into that area...and it kinda looked like hair was wrapping around Randy's face. :? Could be a glare,or the lighting,or... *?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:41 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

bdotson wrote:
Iron - I know I'll risk going down in flames on this one as you are quite a Randy expert - BUT...

The tapping with a pick thing definitely occurs on I Don't Know but you'll notice what most tapping fiends do which is that tapping with the pick gives a much more shrill tone and definitely doesn't mesh well with the other finger induced tones - there's a distinct difference when you do it that way and most players agree that it's just a less controllable, less efficient way to do it as opposed to index or middle finger .

I am basing this on 25+ years of tapping mania (and sure - not all of it that pretty either LOL!) but also much of that time watching for clues/tips/angles to improve the approach. But hey, don't take my word on it - watch the After Hours vid of Crazy Train - like I just did and discover how annoying it is that the camera man focused on RUDY at the start of the solo... :roll: Ha! Okay - so that idea is useless!!!

Anyway - the pick in the photo kinda looks right but he could have it in the index finger curled up like you said - either way, it's the middle finger tapping here!

Don't worry, you won't go down in flames here. :lol: I think I better explain the point I was trying to make.
:wink:
ironface166 wrote:
To be honest, Randy did most of his tapping with his pick, not his fingers and I think in that shot he is holding his pick between his thumb and index finger (on the other side of the guitar neck).

I was just saying that since Randy tapped mostly with his pick(though he didn't tap too much really), that on the tunes he didn't use the pick, he didn't put the pick in his mouth, but kept it between his thumb and index finger (or curled up in the index like you said) while tapping with his middle finger, as he was pretty clearly doing in the photo in question. It sounds like in the solo to "Flying High Again" that Randy taps the first parts of the tapping sequence with his pick, but the ending with his finger (but that's just my lousy ears talking. :lol: ) and I think that picture is from the "Flying High Again" solo. Too bad no video of that song yet to see how he did it. Anyway, that's what I was trying to get across. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:49 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Here's a shot of another different black vest Randy wore (rarely) on the Blizzard tour that slipped my mind. :oops: Thanks to Des for pointing it out. :D It's in the sequence of pics now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:30 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Iron, man I'm with you on the vid thing especially - FHA is one of my fave solos from anybody ever andi'd love to have seen him play it!

Understand what you referring to now! re; the tapping.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]