It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Big_P's Randy Rhoads solos
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:59 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

NEW - 1/21/07
Done on my trusty 1978 Hondo II Les Paul Custom W/ factory DiMarzios!!
RevelationMother-Earth-solo-w-backing-track(double tracked)
http://media.putfile.com/REV-21-22

Tonight---Both-solos-w-backing-tracks
http://media.putfile.com/Tonightaudio

I Don't Know-solo-w/-backing-track (triple tracked)
http://media.putfile.com/I-Dont-Know-67-84

Believer-solo-w-backing-track(triple tracked)
http://media.putfile.com/Believer2

Just for fun.....Battle_Axe
http://media.putfile.com/Battle_Axe

*NEW* Tonight w/ anger management :lol:
Tonight - second solo
http://media.putfile.com/TONIGHT-WITH-BALLS

*NEW*5/21/07 Flying High Again solo w/ backing track (triple tracked)
http://media.putfile.com/Flying-High-Again-solo-w-backing-track-triple-tracked

*NEW* 5/24/07You Lookin' At Me w/backing track (Triple tracked)
http://media.putfile.com/You-Looking

Last edited by big_p on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:26 am, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:59 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Good stuff there big_p! Your Tonight solos have some serious attitude, but your Revelation solo is my favorite. You totally nailed that one bro. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:04 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanks JT. Well I finally broke down and bought a mic for my PC and I downloaded Audicity. I hope the mixes are o.k. but, I just started messing with this 2 hours ago. New and better quality audio of Revalation and Tonight at top. Let me know what you think.....Thanks P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:28 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I like how you double up on Revelation and Tonight sounded natural and not forced out.. sounds good.. Tonight's solos are 2 of my favorite Randy leads... keep postin'.. lol

http://www.myspace.com/righteousxindignation

Last edited by DemonDik on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:11 pm 

Like I said on myspace, very cool playing 8) with nice feel and expression.

Keem em a coming as they say. Nice work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:19 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

great playing! i agree, you have tons of attitude in your playing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:30 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanks guys for the nice comments it's appreciated. I'm no great guitarist by any means, never thought I was. My biggest influence in playing is feeling. I mean you can take the simplest solo and as long as you pour your heart out or put your balls on the line it's something that can't go wrong!! You can play a million miles a minute and if there's no feeling than that's it....nothin". This was my first attempt at double and triple tracking and I had fun with it. Most of you would know more than me and I'm sure Andy would remind me that "There's a nice search function on here that you can use" :wink: :lol: but, I remember hearing this long ago and please quote me if I'm wrong but when Randy triple tracked he had one on the left, one on the right and the middle track would be lower to give a what he called "ghost" effect. Is this true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:12 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

big_p wrote:
Thanks guys for the nice comments it's appreciated. I'm no great guitarist by any means, never thought I was. My biggest influence in playing is feeling. I mean you can take the simplest solo and as long as you pour your heart out or put your balls on the line it's something that can't go wrong!! You can play a million miles a minute and if there's no feeling than that's it....nothin". This was my first attempt at double and triple tracking and I had fun with it. Most of you would know more than me and I'm sure Andy would remind me that "There's a nice search function on here that you can use" :wink: :lol: but, I remember hearing this long ago and please quote me if I'm wrong but when Randy triple tracked he had one on the left, one on the right and the middle track would be lower to give a what he called "ghost" effect. Is this true?

That is what Max Norman said about the tripled guitar parts on those albums. He said 1L, 1R, 1M and he also said Randy would sometimes do exactly the same solo, but he would slightly change the left one and the right one (harmoniously I imagine) and the middle would be the foundation, and if you have a vinyl of BOO or DOAM and some good headphones you will hear what Max was talking about.. The guitar playing on those albums still has that quality that amazes me, the deeper you concentrate on the listening to the guitar parts the more you become aware of his true gift as a guitar player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:58 pm 

Hi Big P

Your Believer is a real scorcher!!

So many people don't get the minor third interval correct at the top before the scale run...nice work 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:30 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Matt wrote:
Hi Big P

Your Believer is a real scorcher!!

So many people don't get the minor third interval correct at the top before the scale run...nice work 8)

Thanks Matt you always have the kindest words and you are a true inspiration. This will probably make you laugh and that's fine as I'm laughing typing this but, I have no idea what you just said. :lol: What is the "minor third interval "? It's my own ignorance so, excuse me but, I never had lessons, can't read music or understand theory. I'm self taught, play by ear and by feeling. I wish I knew it all but, you couldn't learn it all in a lifetime. I played in orchestra for 6 years when I was in school YEARS ago. I was first chair concert/soloist Viola. :lol: but, other than that I am clueless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:42 pm 

Hi Big P

The scary sounding 2 notes on frets 20 and 21!!

Don't apologise I should apologise for sounding like I had the Oxford dictionary Of Music shoved up my a**e *LOL*LOL*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:04 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Matt wrote:
Hi Big P

The scary sounding 2 notes on frets 20 and 21!!

Don't apologise I should apologise for sounding like I had the Oxford dictionary Of Music shoved up my a**e *LOL*LOL*

:lol: That's o.k. Matt!! I had a feeling that is what you were talking about but, wasn't quite sure. Randy used that in the spotlight solo as well....am I correct? Thanks for all your help Matt it is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:49 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Even though this is my own section to do as I please with my material I made a promise that I would not have 25 versions of Crazy Train on here. Although I am putting up another rendition of the second solo of Tonight as I recorded this one the other day after a VERY pissed day at work. This one has the attitude that I'm a little more comfortable with as the other had balls but, just not big enough for me. Messed up a bit in the end but, hope you like it just the same. It's in my first post at the top of the page marked *NEW* as I want to keep them all together. Please let me know what you think or how much fun you think I was having at work on this perticuliar day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:19 pm 

Hi Big P

Great new addition to your recordings...nice job

Suzoxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:27 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

DemonDik wrote:
big_p wrote:

That is what Max Norman said about the tripled guitar parts on those albums. He said 1L, 1R, 1M and he also said Randy would sometimes do exactly the same solo, but he would slightly change the left one and the right one (harmoniously I imagine) and the middle would be the foundation, and if you have a vinyl of BOO or DOAM and some good headphones you will hear what Max was talking about.. The guitar playing on those albums still has that quality that amazes me, the deeper you concentrate on the listening to the guitar parts the more you become aware of his true gift as a guitar player.

That Is So True lol I Do That All The Time

http://www.myspace.com/dantelles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:30 am 

Holy Snikey :shock: Your friggin guitar is SCREAMIN on R.M.E. *r*

What's your setup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:45 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanks everybody for the kind words they are much appreciated and are taken as inspiration so, thank you. Darrin to answer your question I run a VERY simple set up. My guitar is "My white Les Paul" and that is my 1978 Hondo II Les Paul in Red Wine finish with factory DiMarzio PUPs. That goes onto a Boss ME-30 pedal then into a Crate G-10 amp with a $10 mic from Target setting about 7 feet away that's plugged into my PC. That's it!! Here's interesting story about my guitar.....I recieved it in 1990 from a family friend; well one of my brothers life long friends. The story goes like this...when I was 6 years old that is when I held my first guitar and started playing with the strings to make noise. It was my brothers and it was a 1966 Fender Mustang in Daphne Blue finish (remember it like yesterday). Well he NEVER played it and kept it in it's case under his bed. Well i found it one day and that was it. Everytime when we would go over and visit he would take me in their room, plop me on the bed and hand me the guitar to mess around with. One day my brothers friend Jeff (the guy who later would give me my #1 axe) said to my brother as they were sitting in there with me "Someday that boys going to play guitar, you wait!!"
Well the years went by and now were from 1978 to 1990 and my mom thought it would be nice to throw a 40th birthday party for my brother with his old friends. Well Jeff ended up being one of those friends and being a musician he wanted to see my guitar and play some songs. After playing some country songs he asked me if I would play some rock for him. Well I busted out into some Dokken,a little Ratt and I do remember Crazy Train as that was a recognizable tune. He said he was very impressed with my playing and that he always knew I'd be playing someday but, my guitar sucked. :lol: -
I knew this to be true so, I took no offense to this. He then said "Tell you what. I've got a guitar that I never use anymore and if you want to stop by and get it you can have it." I was floored and excited as I trusted him to his word and the word that it was much better than the battered series 10 relic I was fighting with to play.
I went and picked her up and the rest is history.....17 years later and she's still my one and only true love. We've put a lot of miles on together that's for sure. I'd never get rid of her for nothing in the world......not even an original Gibson Les Paul.
The other neat tid bit about this guitar is the PUP's. The are factory DiMarzios. Hondo had a run of guitars in the 70's that they installed these in. I contacted DiMarzio directly trying to find out some info on these as I was doing some Math.........lets see Randy's PDV had Dimarzios and I believe the UPs would have been from 1977 and my guitar was from 1978 with DiMarzio PUPs installed.....HMMM. Well here is the reply in an email I recieved........

Thanks for the kind words. We were incorporated in 1975.
If your pickups are black humbuckers with 12 chrome non-adjustable stud polepieces, you have our K-10 pickup. This model had the same performance as our Super 2 (DP104) which is still available today. The only difference on the Super 2 is the polepiece adjustability. They were very similiar to the Distortion Plus that you inquired about with the difference being that the K-10 ran a little hotter but, the sound quality was very similiar. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
DiMarzio Tech Staff

Last edited by big_p on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:06 am 

Hi Big P

Firstly I really enjoyed your story. That sounds (in a literal sense too 8)) a very, very nice Guitar.

The new Tonight definitely benefited from a bad day to give it that really impassioned delivery...which I think is your real gift, like you said, and I have said before, you play with a real sense of feel.

I liked the old version too in a different way. This new one really screams out at you. Great control and don't be so modest about your technique you have a very, very good control of the instrument.

Awesome playing Ralph!

Great job 8)

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:05 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Hey Big_P you are good at spinning your expierences into very enjoyable tales of old!! I've had my Charvel Md 2 for almost 21 years now and I know exactly what you mean about never getting rid of her!! I would be heart sick if she came up missing like my Les Paul did.. (well that really pissed me off more than anything, but that happened because I did a dumb thing and left it behind a busy bar after a jam) anyhow, back to the lifelong bond with a guitar, I can pick up my Charvel and it is like putting on an old shoe, I know every nook and cranny, every little quirk on her. You know after all the years of HARD gigging and abuse that neck is in pristine condition, not one noticable scratch or dent. Have you ever had to do fret work on your axe? I've done one grind and polish to the Charvel but there is still plenty of meat on the 21 year old frets! Thanks for the story! I haven't listened to your new Tonight solo yet because I have that damn dial-up connection to deal with and that BT to Believer you sent me (thanks by the way) took like 20 mins to DL.. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:35 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thank you :oops: I'm blushing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:00 am 

big_p wrote:
Thank you :oops: I'm blushing :D
*LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:09 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Just thought I'd put up me and my new band......THUNDER (you can hear us and not see us because we don't exsist mainly because, dude my video camera is broke). This is "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden. Dude I think we got this down alright. I play ALL guitar parts and sing. I've been locked in a dungeon for the past 2 months working on this with a metronome. Sounds about like it I think.....you guys tell me. :wink:
http://media.putfile.com/The-Trooper-93

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:10 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

*LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL* *LOL*LOL*

NOW THIS IS SOME FUNNY SH*T!!! Nice one Big_P!!

at first I thought... WTF? but then I realized, and MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! cracked the F*CK UP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:29 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

:wink: Anything to get people to listen to my sh*t and get my page count to 17!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:48 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Just added FLYING HIGH at the top. Rush job but, not to terrible. Let me know what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:37 am 

Hi Ralph

Nice job on the tripple tracking. Maybe a little too much reverb for a studio recording but then again once I closed my eyes it was being played live in a big stadium and sounded just great.

The tapping was real, real smooth too 8) ...and as usual with any Big P recording bundles of soul!!

Nice work Ralph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:40 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Hey thanks Matt. As always your input is appreciated. I thought there was a bit to much reverb as well. The funny thing is is that I used the same settings and set up as my other recordings. I'm going to redo it again here shortly and with less reverb. Also would like to do it smoother. I woke up yesterday morning and said, "Hey, I'm going to relearn Flying High!!" It's been YEARS since I attempted it but, was so excited that I threw it down as a recording. :lol: Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:46 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Learned "You Lookin' At Me" tonight. It's at the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:59 pm 

wow you learned that in one night!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:36 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Sweet deal Ralph! triple tracking for me is rough, at best..LOL you do a nice job of keeping the lines coherent and minimizing left to right drift. I have that same BT for "You lookin' at me" and the "swushee-ness of the cymbals drives me nuts.. LOL.. Good work brother!

I still say that version of "The Trooper" your band does is so close to Maidens it's uncanny. :lol: