It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:52 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Yes, this song is beautiful indeed =)

No I haven't seen that movie but it sounds interesting. Can't say I know much about Django other than through one or two shorter clips found on some video site =)

And the sound is awful. Dunno know why it is THIS crappy. Must be from my other equipment =)

I'll get back to you with new videos when I've learned how to play these songs I want to play. Can't even get Dee right =( See/hear: http://progg.starbase.se/test/dee.avi

My fingers suck =(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:03 pm 

progg wrote:
Yes, this song is beautiful indeed =)

No I haven't seen that movie but it sounds interesting. Can't say I know much about Django other than through one or two shorter clips found on some (

Well I love and cherish Django as much as Randy (obviously in very different ways) his playing is badly recorded, it was 60 odd years ago LOL, but the playing and inventivness and vitality knocks me out every listen.

Progg, your Dee was really nice too! I can tell under the bad sound quality that your playing has a warmth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:20 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Matt wrote:
Well I love and cherish Django as much as Randy (obviously in very different ways) his playing is badly recorded, it was 60 odd years ago LOL, but the playing and inventivness and vitality knocks me out every listen.

I'm definitely gonna check out more Django. I've heard only good things about him but I'm lousy when it comes to research stuff. I hope this computer at work let's me play YouTube-videos hehe. Thanks for the tips!

Matt wrote:
Progg, your Dee was really nice too! I can tell under the bad sound quality that your playing has a warmth.

Best comment I've gotten so far. It means a lot. People have been saying nice comments so my motivation to push harder really increases with such kind words. I've heard your playing and I know you're good so this means a lot. I'll practice harder and get my Tarrega better and that "impossible" Bach piece also =)

I hope you would post more songs and perhaps educational videos for me to learn from hehe. Don't be shy now =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:58 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Cool Dee Progg. Nice job :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:07 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

James Bond wrote:
Cool Dee Progg. Nice job :D

Thank you =)

Post subject: Cool
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:27 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

This is a great idea and I know Randy would think it was too.... His passion for classical guitar is well known, old Ozzy couldn't for the life of him get it, he thought it was insane to want to quit Rock-n-Roll for school.. usually it is the other way around LOL, but Randy had that inner flame and knowlege was the only fuel that could feed the fire... His musical vision has to include classical guitar (I mean formal classical, not just the modal use in the electric spectrum) Thnaks for this thread!

http://www.myspace.com/righteousxindignation

Post subject: Tàrrega is cheating!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:43 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

How the hell do you manage to play the first tremolo part in Recuerdos de la Alhambra? =) This is insane tremolopicking. This is gonna take same time I tell you.. You fooled me, Matt! Outrageous! =)

At least I have a goal now..

Edit: Yeah, I got that tab book the other day.. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:20 pm 

LOL

My tremelo picking is okay once I have warmed up properly but it s not somthing that comes naturally for my fingers. Some Classical Guitarists just don't do tremelo picking atall.

Glad you got your book though Progg!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:33 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Hey Matt! Guess what! Today I talked my mom into signing me up for some classical geetar lessons! Yay! I'm excitied and hope I start learnin some of this real cool stuff like yall!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:27 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

BlizzardOfRhoads wrote:
Hey Matt! Guess what! Today I talked my mom into signing me up for some classical geetar lessons! Yay! I'm excitied and hope I start learnin some of this real cool stuff like yall!

I've been thinking the same myself. Would be nice to be taught properly (read my post about freakin' tremolo picking =)

I must admit I envy you a bit. Should go find myself a teacher also. Want to learn so much but oh so lazy I am =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:42 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

progg wrote:
BlizzardOfRhoads wrote:

I've been thinking the same myself. Would be nice to be taught properly (read my post about freakin' tremolo picking =)

I must admit I envy you a bit. Should go find myself a teacher also. Want to learn so much but oh so lazy I am =)

I know exactily how you feel! haha I finally just was like ok here it goes and asked the parents and they were like sure we think its really good your prosuing(sp?) your dreams!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:00 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Man are my right hand fingers dumb! I've been trying to incorperate my middle and ring fingers while my plectrum grip is maintained.. I've watch guys do it flawlessly, but this is totally alien to me. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:11 am 

BlizzardOfRhoads wrote:

I am so pleased for you!

I still remember my first lesson. I thought I knew how to finger pick and sat down in total awe at this guy in front of me. He asked me to play something and ofcourse I played Dee. He listened carefully and asked how long I'd been playing. I said I had been teaching myself and that I wanted to broaden my rock playing.

He then took me right back to the beginning!! But I am so glad he did. I got rid of thumb being over the neck and also started to find I could start reading music. I used to find it so exciting just getting loads of pieces out from the library for any instrument and trying to work out where they were on the guitar fret board.

Blizzard!! The reason for this long post is that these were such happy days for me and I know will be for you.

Serious congratulations and what supportive parents you have. Keep us posted!!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:39 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Matt wrote:
BlizzardOfRhoads wrote:

I am so pleased for you!

I still remember my first lesson. I thought I knew how to finger pick and sat down in total awe at this guy in front of me. He asked me to play something and ofcourse I played Dee. He listened carefully and asked how long I'd been playing. I said I had been teaching myself and that I wanted to broaden my rock playing.

He then took me right back to the beginning!! But I am so glad he did. I got rid of thumb being over the neck and also started to find I could start reading music. I used to find it so exciting just getting loads of pieces out from the library for any instrument and trying to work out where they were on the guitar fret board.

Blizzard!! The reason for this long post is that these were such happy days for me and I know will be for you.

Serious congratulations and what supportive parents you have. Keep us posted!!

Matt

Had you already built up a log of bad habits with your posture and fingerings Matt? Just about a year ago I was shown quite a few inefficiencies with both left and right hand mechanics. I was shown quite a few things about posture and building tension in both hands when I prepared to play into something "intense" and I had to completely re-train my picking technique from the ground up. After playing like I had been for 19 years this was quite the task. I found the easiest path to the "new me" was to force myself not to play any music or excersises previous to my new routine. I felt doomed at first, but gradually the improvements started to show, and now my playing is magnitudes better and easier. I had to relearn all the old songs I used to play because I couldn't play them the new way yet. LOL So to make this long story short it is best that you start formal training ASAP because the longer you do it incorrectly the deeper you wire your muscle memory to keep doing it that way.. I always support players that want to take lessons because it would be a very intuitive or lucky player who was playing their instrument correctly without being taught the proper mechanics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:21 pm 

Hats off to you for having the humilty and discipline to go back to scratch.

I had only been teaching myself a year when I begun Classical Guitar (I was 14) and now I am 31.

It is a great feeling receiving lessons (as well as giving them!) In April I am going to have some compsition lessons so I can brush up on a few things.

But back to changing habits on the classical. I was just very fresh faced and green to it all LOL. Originally I was going to do Classical for 1 year and then run. Instead I did Grade 3 and the next 3 years before I studying at music college it became an addiction. Before I knew it I was a Classical guitarist who happened to play a bit of electric rather than the other way around :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:24 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

If this dude doesn't motivate on to play I don't know what will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFufY5CVxMg

Here's someone that can teach me tremolo picking =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:06 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Matt wrote:
The most common way tends to be the way you mentioned Liona uses. P,A,M,I although I would disagree with the notion of 'a proper way'. I am going to post me playing it soon so you can hear how it works for me.

I have seen Guitarists use both ways and personally I prefer P,I,M,A, the reverse way.

wow..i can't imagine that feeling natural for me. I've always done it the other way.
Recuerdos De La Hambra is one of my favourite pieces. I could do an ok version of it many years ago and tried it again today as it was featured in the latest Guitar Techniques magazine. (tab and video)

Matt, I also came across another piece I used to play and am re learning it. It's Gymnopedie #1..lovely piece..I would love to hear your version of it as I think it would suit your flare for feel and emotion. Do you have it recorded?
Also, can you name any guitarists that have recorded it? I can't remember as it was many years ago that I heard a guitar version. I have found a few versions off the net tonight but one was a vocal version (quite nice in fact) and the other was piano.

Thanks for this great thread!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:02 am 

Hi Des

I'll try and find it in my cd collection today (which need putting urgently put back in aplhabetical order and discs put in right cases!!)...

But I was in a guitar quartet at University and we played 5 of Saties pieces arranged for 4 guitars. It sounded awesome.

(Yoda voice) "try to find I will"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:48 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Hello Matt,

I was wondering if you could find some typical bach chord progressions that appear in many of his works, or in more general terms, typical Classical chord progressions.

You know how in blues its always the I-->IV->I-->I--->IV--->IV-->I-->I-->V-->IV--->I---V
or some variation along those lines..

Is(are) there chord progressions such as that, in which they exist in the classical realm, but are used frequently in many compositions like the aforementioned one?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:40 pm 

Hi Codomeistro

Mr Coneman may be a good person to ask here as he will be fresh with ideas as he is studying A-level music...I'll give it a go ( Forgive me if I go into teacher mode.)

The Baroque period (used to describe music roughly of Bach's life and death 1685-1750), which Bach belongs to, more than any other period of music did conform to a conventional method of composition.

Much of Bach's work uses the primary triads (chords 1, 4 and 5 of the key). Progressions that are typically Baroque are the circle (sometimes called cycle) of 5th's. I think the composition techniques as much as the harmonies make Baroque sound Baroque. Sequences, Regulaity of pulse complex writing and use of counterpoint are all massive features of Baroque music.

The writing of Bach is so complicated that a famous composer when asked how Bach did what he did shrugged and said it would drive someone mad to even attempt what Bach did.

The chord progression used in Randy's Mr Crowley solo is a very typical Baroque progression. Bach's Ciaconna in C minor springs to mind as an example that matches Mr Crowley.

One technique that I like of Bach's is how he wrote for the bass instruments. Sometimes Bach used a descending bass under in an arpeggiated chord. Very similar to how Jimmy Page used it in "Babe I'm Gonna Leve You" or Geoege Harrison did in "while my guitar gently weeps"

The best way to really understand this music is to get some scores and actually work out the chords etc and the pattern of the piece.

I hope that helps a little.

Of all the periods of Classical in my opinion Baroque music is the most intricate to describe. Alot of people misunderstand Baroque and say how it sounds mechanical. It is very beautiful.

It's funny isn't it that yngwie who basses his style so much on this period suffers the same crticisms!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:25 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Thanks, very informative, your post reminds me of a wikipedia thing, but better hahaha.

When your talking about the cycle of fifths, i understand that to be a method of modulation right? was there a certain quota of cycle shifts the typical baroque song went through? did it usually cycle around 4 keys then back cycle etc..

Im not really expecting a sure answer, just your speculation i guess because its hard to expect someone to know EVERYTHING about baroque music.
Thanks anyways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:59 am 

Hi, glad I can help a bit. I certrainly don't know enough about the Baroque period either. But after the cycle of 5th's has been used, often the piece will go back to the home key.

As I have beeh drinking wine the whole night and it's 2 in the mornin I will check things tomorrow.

Take care Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:02 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Great Post!

I've been playing Classical Guitar on and off for years. Last year
I took lessons so that I could learn to read music and improve my right hand technique, my right hand needed alot of work. I was a self taught guitarist that read tabuture. My skill level is probably intermediate at this time. I realized that I needed learn to read standard notation if I was going to advance and become a good player. I took lessons for about six month and was doing really well, then I had to quit due to an increasing work load... :( I love the classical guitar, and I'm hoping to start taking lessons again sometime this year. My teacher has B.S. in classical guitar and was really very good, he studied with Aaron Shearer in Baltimore.

Taking lessons really kept me on me toes, and I really miss the sessions with me teacher. I now have a very good free stoke and rest stroke, and my teacher says I have a great natural tremelo technique. I wished I had more time to play. I am lucky right now If I can get 45-60 minutes a day, and sometimes it's 0.

One of my all time favorite classical CD's is "Venezuelan Waltes for Guitar" by Adam Holzman. I never get tired of this CD! The melodies are hauntingly beautiful. I can't get enough and the skill level required is over my head at his moment. Adam Holzman is a fantastic player, the piece Maria Carolina just warms my heart.

I'm also listening to Austin Barrios Guitar Music Vol. 1 by Antigoni Goni.
Barrios is a master composer and player. He took the classical guitar to a new level. To bad he died in poverty and never recieved the recongnition he deserved in his life time. My hats off to Barrios!

I could go on and on about Sor and Terrega. Two of the great masters of the classical guitar. I'm just hoping to find more time to make music and absorb the melodies and the charm of the masters. OHH I'm not worthy..

After a long day, nothing relieves stress like the melodies from a classical guitar.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:28 pm 

Hi stringbender

Great to meet another enthusiast! Barrios is amazing isn't he?

Have you got into Leo Brouwer or William Walton's famous 5 Bagatelles for Guitar. They are amazing 8) :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:10 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Matt wrote:
Hi stringbender

Great to meet another enthusiast! Barrios is amazing isn't he?

Have you got into Leo Brouwer or William Walton's famous 5 Bagatelles for Guitar. They are amazing 8) :shock:

I've heard of both but have not had the opportunity to study their music.
Maybe I should look for a CD and explore their music.

Yep, Barrios is beyond amazing.

Take Care..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:43 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I would like to learn some classical licks.

How would i go about adding a classical feel to a song. Would it be about the progession of the chords or scales i use?

Thanks, Matt. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:11 pm 

Hi Matt C

There aren't really licks in Classical music...not in the way rock etc uses them.
The main problem is when you say Classical, you have 500 years of music to choose from. If you can say exactly which type of Classical music you mean I will try and help. :D

Do you mean the kind of 'Classical' of when you think of Yngwie?

Cheers

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:48 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Matt

ive been wanting to learn classical for a long time now and i just dont know what to start on. my favourite composers are Bach and Beethoven Do you know of a piece around beginner level that i could attempt by them? thx

~Dan~

http://www.myspace.com/dantelles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:59 am 

Hi grunt

A good piece to get finger and thumb moving is Etude no 1, Opus 6 by F.Sor.

You can print it off http://www.delcamp.net

Go to sheet music, then Classical and then click on Fernando sor the composer and you can then see it on the screen and download.

I haven't checked if there is tab for it. If you don't read music a good place to start is using a note finder and working out (I know it's slow at first) where the notes are. It is great fun!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:07 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

So what does it mean when someone says they are classically trained?

What did they study and learn?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next