It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:19 pm 

Hi Matt

To be honest I have only heard the term 'classically trained' used by musicans who haven't had formal lessons.

When you have Oboe, Piano or Classical Guitar Lessons, you just have the lessons and learn.

I suppose it really means you learn in particular way. For example on the Piano you are encouraged to not slouch and keep your fingers curved. You finger a piece of music you can play it with the greatest ease. Classical Guitar wise you are encouraged to play witht the thumb behind the neck and fingers close to the fingerboard etc etc

You learn music from the last 500 years. There is nothing mysterious...you just learn to play the intrument from a different angle, where as from the Electric Guitar it is all relatively new...only 50 years old :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:11 pm 

For additional music downloads check this out...it is very cheap ($1.99 just purchased etudes 7-12 by Villa Lobos)

https://everynote.com/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:38 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I have deleted the earlier video...

see thread below for "new and improved" version

Last edited by Johnny Slave on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:43 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

It's quite interesting that same pieces can sound so different. I play all those songs also but don't really play it the same way as you do. Actually very different from you. Yeah, some missing notes there but hey, who am I to judge =) Good to see more videos here. I'll see when I can get a new recording up. Haven't really learned any new songs lately, unfortunately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:42 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Johnny Slave...I don't know much about those songs that you'd played,other than "Dee" of course,but to my ears,that was incredible. Watching you play in that video,I was struck by the sense of peace that you seem to have with your guitar. Very tranquil,and peaceful. I really enjoyed listening to that. Thanks for posting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:01 am 

Hi Johnny

I'd love to listen to it but I can't get passed this.

The computer asks me to select a file too download, I choose somewhere and then when I find it, it goes into I tunes (allegedly) and then doesn't auromatically play like it usually does, and I can't find it.

Any suggestions anyone (my computer knowledge is very need to know...if you get what I mean LOL)

Johnny have you got another link as I'd love to hear what you have been up to!

Cheers

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:10 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

if you are using a windows PC just right click the link and select "save as" and save it to your drive some place "real easy" like MyDocuments" and then right click on the file and select "open with" and use windows media player...

if you are using a "Mac-n-trash" (hopefully you aren't..) do the same thing but you will have to have a media player that will play a .wmv file... get one from microsoft (the mac version of windows media player)

I will be uploading a much better video with much better audio tomorrow so check back....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:19 am 

Yep

I am using a never get a virus, easier to use and faster apple mac :D

I'll try again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:31 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Ok, as promised here is the much improved video of me wanking on my classical guitar

check it out here

much better audio and video

contains the pieces as follows:

adelita by Francisco Tarrega

study #5 by Matteo Carcassi

intro to black star and the bridge from Icarus dream suite
by Yngvie Malmsteen

lagrima by Francisco Tarrega

Dee by Randy Rhoads

(here's the media player for the mac guys)
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherprodu ... ndowsmedia

Last edited by Johnny Slave on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:45 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Bravo! =D> =D> =D> Beautiful playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:26 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I just finished up Giuliani's Variations on a Handel Theme (I think it's sometimes called the Harmonious Blacksmith) and it's definitely one of my favorite pieces ever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:10 am 

Hi Johnny

Nice work 8) thanks for the mac download info too (and being a good sport!)

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:44 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Nice Johnny! Was the microphone that is in the camera view the mic that recorded everything? The audio is so up-front it seemed almost like a live performance. (through my speakers ayways.. LOL) good job bro!

http://www.myspace.com/righteousxindignation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:18 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

thanks guys for the nice feedback !

the whole thing was done for possible inspiration for all the other classical/want to start playing classical ect.. players here on the Randy board (like I can play better than that old fart, watch this, or hey that was kind of cool I think I want to do that- type inspiration ect... which is my interpretation of what this sticky thread is all about) and also kind of a tip of the hat to Matt who I percieve as the classical player guy here and kind of got me back on the kick...

the mic is a rhode NT1 condenser, what I did was to run the mic through my mixer with just neutral eq (meaning all the knobs set at 0db) which is always the best place to start. also used a compressor/noise gate on the insert for that channel
then I used sound forge and normalized the signal added a little reverb then eq'ed for a little better balance on the strings (the high e string doesn't sound very good on that guitar and my left hand tone isn't perfect either) and the results were pretty good for a demo video (wasn't segovia in spain but what the hay :P )

so let's see/hear some other guys stuff (video prefered) get on it M8's !!!
(it was Matt's MP3 upload and tab that got me going)

let's hear that Giuliani's Variations on a Handel Theme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:20 pm 

Johnny

What you have just written gives me so much satisfaction because it is exactly what I had hoped this thread would do, namely get people to either re kindle their Classical playing or see what it's all about.

I fight daily in schools the idea that Classical music is somehow elitist, out dated, no help to rock playing etc etc and my daily mission is to try and show the opposite and how much fun it can be.

Great stuff again Johnny. I hope some more people will post some stuff.

Cheers Johnny

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:36 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I'll see what I can do with the recording, but all I have is the microphone that came with this computer and no recording program. Is Audacity my best bet for free?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:47 am 

RIP, Message Metal Matt. He is a real expert with with recording and how to get the best out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:04 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Will do, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:52 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Des, how is classical as far as learning more in depth theory as far as taking that and applying it to my rock playing. I keep getting people telling me to study jazz. I have started lessons and I really like that it helps advance my chord vocabulary along with how to apply all the theory to my playing. The problem is I'm not really to into jazz. I like watching something on tv about jazz or watch someone playing it but as much as I try to get myself into playing it I just can't get inspired. The teacher is trying to show me all the different strum patterns and techniques applied to jazz songs. All I really want is the theory behind it. I'm going to try and explain this again to my teacher. I think he thinks he's going to change my mind about jazz.

I always loved classical music and played around with a couple pieces of pieces but haven't delved deep into it yet. Can I learn all this theoretical stuff I'm learning from the jazz lessons from Classical. I of course know I would learn some but does it get deep into the theory or is more of something that will build my technical side of playing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:30 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Again, like I said in the other thread Des if you have anything to add please feel free. I meant the post for Matt. Sorry guys!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:39 am 

classicalmetal wrote:
How is classical as far as learning more in depth theory, as far as taking that and applying it to my rock playing.

It is quite different. Composition wise, I think playing pieces with all these rich harmonies and progressions give you lots of good ideas for songs etc. Eventually after years of reading music, you understand what is going on too without consciously thinking about it...ie you just know what chords and scales are being used so can translate them to electric...however...

I would say though if you want melody lines that will influenece you more on the electric guitar (and translate directly), study pieces written for the violin. I think there are more simlarities.

classicalmetal wrote:
I always loved classical music and played around with a couple pieces of pieces but haven't delved deep into it yet. Can I learn all this theoretical stuff I'm learning from the jazz lessons from Classical.

In the harmonies of much of the Latin music like Villa-Lobos, Brouwer and Barrios there are lots of similarities. So I think harmonically you can learn certain things. Ironically though alot of 20th century music onwards burrows from jazz. So in many ways you are getting it second hand. I would always say go to the source for anything...so in this respect the best way to study jazz is to to study jazz.

classicalmetal wrote:
I of course know I would learn some but does it get deep into the theory or is more of something that will build my technical side of playing?

If you study Classical Guitar in depth. Firstly, although technique wise there are lots of advantages for your electric playing, it is a very different instrument. Having said that learning lots of Classical guitar scales, especially 3 octave ones (and arpeggios) will really tighten your playing up.

I think alot of people think when you study Classical it is all very academic and gruleing. It isn't atall :D Because you immerse yourself in music notation and just forget about it.

I promise you, you will not even notice yourself learning anything that seems as 'dry and grey' as theory of music. You just gradually pick it all like a language. Music is still a beautiful mystery to me and the first thing that it touches is my heart...then I switch my brain on and can start 'thinking' music....as long as it stay this way around I am happy.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask more I am happy to help.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:05 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Thanks! I think I'll probably take a few more lessons with the jazz teacher to answer the few questions I had and then maybe I'll finally start taking a crack at classical in a real way.

I already know a bit about theory,although I know there are some differences from jazz theory, so I'm sure I can rip the stuff apart to use in my electric playing.

I'd would definitely like to work on violin music for soloing but I also want to use pieces to enhance my rhythm playing. There is some stuff in Randy's rhythm playing that I think is influenced by classical.

I've always wanted to work on this style but I for some reason had this or that I was told I should be working on first.

Kinda funny with a name like classicalmetal I obviously have some interest in classical but I've never really studied it.Maybe it's time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:35 am 

I just found a Diary of A Madman lesson if anyone who hasn't tried it would like a go.

What is good about this is the guys attention to detail with the right hand fingering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzuucei3BNc&NR=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:08 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Hey guys, i haven't posted here in well over six months, but i figured it was time to get back in touch with musicians all over the world, and keep up to date in the Rhoads world :D

So hi to all

First off, i am thrilled to find that a classical guitar thread has opened and has received such attention.

i started out on classical aged 9, played for threes years and got my first electric, i carried on with it for a while, but it took a back seat to my electric playing unfortunately. i finished my grade 5 in 2001 aged thirteen, but after this i pretty much forgot about it (something i hate about my playing now)

but, this year i finally became interested in classical music, piano + classical guitar and gave me the best musical breath of fresh air i've had. i completed my grade 7 exams for both instruments in three months and am currently studying for my grade 8 and loving it.

i am currently studying 'capricco arabe' and recuerdos de la alhambra - both by tarrega

a bach gigue...and i have looked at a Fugue in A minor....which truly scared me...so i left it!!!!

to add to this i have now played a couple of villa lobos preludes.

this months guitar world has a feature on classical guitar with excerpts from recuerdos.... + bourree in E minor and a few more in it.

and to matt ...... have you ever played 'asturias' by albeniz?, it seems a scary piece for picking technique

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:09 am 

Wow this is the greatest section on here and i cant believe i have missed this. Never really log on this section much but i will all the time now, Thanks for the tab and all the great links. I actually transcribed lagrima from sheet music back in the 90's before there was alot of tab for classical guitar. Reading sheet music is a pain for classical guitar due to all the different positions possible, or atleast i thought so. I know how to but im lazy and like tab. Really into classical and flamenco. Cant say enough how satisfying it is to play these types of guitar (or attempt too). Thanks again to all who have contributed and to Matt. Heres a couple of good vids from some great players. Ill contribute whatever i can, time permitted ofcourse. Cheers!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9jrBg4Lwc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V5X7nRlz4Kw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GJfi7vFsrhQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:59 am 

shredheadfred wrote:

but, this year i finally became interested in classical music, piano + classical guitar and gave me the best musical breath of fresh air i've had. i completed my grade 7 exams for both instruments in three months and am currently studying for my grade 8 and loving it.

and to matt ...... have you ever played 'asturias' by albeniz?, it seems a scary piece for picking technique

Wow another Pianist on the board. I studied Piano and Guitar side by side too. After Grade 8 I almost decided to be a Pianist and a second study Guitarist. I don't practice the Piano now but I compose on it and love it very much.

You are doing really well too Grade 7 is a very high standard.

There are many pieces in the standard repertoire that have been played so much by so many guitarists that I wont learn and perform... mainly because there is nothing new I can bring to the piece that someone else has already done.

That's why I write my own pieces and try and push the work of modern composers so I can offer something new.

That's just me though:D everyone has their own musical mission I guess!

Please feel free to post some clips. That's what this thread is all about. A friendly thread of people who just love the Classical/Spanish Guitar!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:03 pm 

Donnie wrote:
Wow this is the greatest section on here and i cant believe i have missed this. Never really log on this section much but i will all the time now, Thanks for the tab and all the great links. I actually transcribed lagrima from sheet music back in the 90's before there was alot of tab for classical guitar. Reading sheet music is a pain for classical guitar due to all the different positions possible, or atleast i thought so. I know how to but im lazy and like tab. Really into classical and flamenco. Cant say enough how satisfying it is to play these types of guitar (or attempt too). Thanks again to all who have contributed and to Matt. Heres a couple of good vids from some great players. Ill contribute whatever i can, time permitted ofcourse. Cheers!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9jrBg4Lwc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V5X7nRlz4Kw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GJfi7vFsrhQ

Hi Donnie!!:)

Great to see you here. One of my things I am going to introduce for all my pupils in 2008 is a set of graded Electric Guitar books that are all in music notation. I will introduce tab in about book 3 or 4 as a kind of musical shorthand.

Tab is great and convenient but I think you understand music in the sense of rhythm, harmony, counterpoint etc when you are forced to read and write music.

I love the Sabicas clip by the way. He is a real musical giant!!

Take care

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:57 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Are these graded books something you are coming up with or are they already available? If they are available what books are they? Are they the RGT series? If you are creating them then you should post when you are done with them. I'd love to check them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:19 pm 

Hi Classical Metal

I am going to start printing my own graded electric guitar books next year. I will let you know when they are available. I am going to sell them online and try and get them distributed locally. There is a hole in the market for good quality electric guitar books with just music.

Unfortunately the current syllabus' for electric guitar use tab and don't encourage students to read music.

As for existing Grade exams here is some info about them.

Grade exams have been around since about 1880 ish. Most countries in Europe use them and also they are used in the fare east too.

The main grade examining boards are..

Trinity/Guildhall: http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/

The Associated Board Of The Royal School of Music:http://www.abrsm.org/?page=home

The London College Of Music and Media: http://mercury.tvu.ac.uk/lcmexams/

There are 8 grades, 1 being the easiest and 8 the hardest, After the grades then there are a range of diplomas.

In England Grade 8 standard is used as a benchmark as the standard someone is generally considered to be of as they are approaching the first year of studying a music degree/diploma.

The Spanish Guitar centre stocks grade music books. Here is the link to them...
http://www.spanishguitarcentre.com/

Len Williams, John Williams' father set the shop up originally.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:08 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Hey Matt,
Thanks alot! Alot of good info there. I have the Registry of guitar tutors books grade 1 through 8 and the teachers diploma books. They're pretty good but they give more of a overview of the exams they give with some info. You really have to use other sources in addition to these. Luckily I have tons of other books to go through so I use a combination of all these to create lesson plans for my students.

Again, let me know when your books are available. I love stocking up on books and finding ways people approach different subjects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next