It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Met a "famous" guitar tech today
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:01 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Was doing an electrical inspection at our local concert arena today for Kenny Chesney show tonight as I was leaving the band was doing a number for sound check and i walked in stage right to check it out.I always check out the guitars and rigs obviously and walked up to a tech because he was holding/tuning a genuine EVH frankenstrat 8) Anyway after talking a bit about guitars and the frankenstrat he tells me "yeah I know Eddie" I figured it was BS until he took me to his roadcase. It was plastered with photos of EVH and band old VH setlists and pictures of him and ED next to some Marshall heads.So I asked him if it was true that Ed used modded Jose Arrendondo Marshalls to get the brown sound or was it BS. He got a strange look and told me that Jose taught him everything he knows about electronics and in fact together they designed the original 5150.I told him I owned a Block logo 5150 .Anyhow small world turns out I was talking to Ed's guitar tech Zeke. I remember reading about him but don't know where? Anyone have any other info on "Zeke"-kinda looked like Brian May :wink:

Post subject: Re: Met a "famous" guitar tech today
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:17 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

zeke clark is his name he worked for prince too as well as a ton of others, he is a legend

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:38 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Lee Jackson is still my favorite, nice guy & knows how to make an angry amp.. ask Zakk Wylde or George Lynch.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:42 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Speaking of him, I have an old MF magazine that has his amps in it. I remember looking at that back in that day thinking "Who is this guy". I wish I had bought his amp.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:30 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

I worked with Zeke when Van Halen played the Monsters of Rock show at RFK Stadium (DC) in 1988. He was pretty cool. After the show when we were tearing down the stage I came across Eddie and Sammy's guitars on stage left and took a few pictures of them. When I got too close Zeke came flying over and laughed "Don't touch them PLEASE!" and then he picked up one of Ed's guitars and let me hold it and gave me a few picks off it. To my shock he got their tour manager on his walkie and told Ed to come back out to the stage for a minute and I got to meet him, which was a highlight of my decade. But then it was back to work and Zeke put me on "Power" detail with two other guys and we had to real in about 2 miles of cables after we got all the amps and cabinets offstage. We were ripping it all down from about 11:45 pm-9:30 am and we were toast. Zeke cut out a few hours earlier with the rest of the VH crew and thanked us. They gave me and my crew a VH Monsters of Rock shirt that said "Local Crew" on the front and "OI812" on the back. I actually got my picture in the Washington Post from a few days earlier of me in the scafolding setting up the rigs a few days before the show. I saw a picture of Zeke in Guitar World in 88 posing with Ed and Sammy. I always remembered his name but never knew what became of him. Thanks for the flashback. :wink: