All times are UTC

Post subject: Another Effects Question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:52 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

MOD EDIT: Moved from "General Rhoads Talk" to "Musicians"

Hello All,

I August while playing through a Digitech GNX4 I got this revelation to go back
to pedals. I sold the GNX4 and bought a MXR Chorus, MXR EVH Phaser, MXR EVH Flanger. So now its time for an EQ and distortion. I had been leaning toward the MXR Distortion III but happen to be on YouTube and came across the Love Pedal Purple Plexi and then rememberd the Tonebone Plexitube unit. Listening to both, they sound very similar and they are also similar in price. Would either one of these pedals be a good replacement for a Distortion pedal?

Post subject: Re: Another Effects Question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:20 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Yeah both Pedals are great, the tonebone uses a 12ax7 tube to achieve a more organic distortion which can be described as familiar i.e. you can get most desireable overdrive/distortion tones you could want with the exception of the heavy stuff. I believe the purple plexi is a similar monster but using diode clipping (aka solid state circuitry) to achieve the same thing.

I say go for it. However if your buying one of these pedals i wouldnt bother with the eq unless you have an old bassman or marshall with a less than useful three band.

And remember, when using a distortion pedal use a clean channel, dial in a little grit if you'd like but the whole idea is to get the distortion (clipping) in your pedal and amp to compliment each other.

Thats where you get the complex harmonically rich distortion so many people try to achieve.

Hope this helps man, keep shredding

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:30 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Thanks for the info. I am looking to recreate Randy's sound, so maybe one of the Plexi pedals will help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:15 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

No problem man, Just make sure you have a dirty clean and boost the hell out of your treble on your amp, a little less on the pedal just to have that headroom.

Happy tone hunting man!