It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 5:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New guitar breakthru
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:14 pm 

I just read this article the other day in the latest issue of Popular Science and wanted to share. It's a very cool invention that is supposed to be hitting the market next year...A bridge that keeps guitars perfectly tuned, all the time! Pretty clever stuff. ;)

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-05/...ug-and-rock-out

--------------edit-----------------

Here's a video I found on it. Check it out about 48 seconds in where that guy is turning his tuning peg drastically and yet the string stays in tune! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIRN5WuR ... r_embedded

Post subject: Re: New guitar breakthru
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

That was intense! how do that even work :shock:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:18 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

we wa wu wa, wow thats cool.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:48 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

musical instruments seem to be becoming more and more about gadgets these days....just a thought, right or wrong.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:55 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but I don't like all these new gadgets they're coming out with for guitars..

It seems like it's just taking away the hard work of owning a guitar. I wouldn't be surprised if one day they came out with a guitar that played itself so you don't have to bother learning how to play, and then you can just stand there on stage while your guitar plays itself or something... :roll:

I can see the bonuses of these, so you don't get out of tune when using a tremolo unit on your guitar, but I just don't like it... Same with a Floyd Rose, I don't like them, but I'll admit they do their job, and do them well.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:34 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

CrypticNight wrote:
I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but I don't like all these new gadgets they're coming out with for guitars..

It seems like it's just taking away the hard work of owning a guitar. I wouldn't be surprised if one day they came out with a guitar that played itself so you don't have to bother learning how to play, and then you can just stand there on stage while your guitar plays itself or something... :roll:

I can see the bonuses of these, so you don't get out of tune when using a tremolo unit on your guitar, but I just don't like it... Same with a Floyd Rose, I don't like them, but I'll admit they do their job, and do them well.

I agree. I don't like all this new stuff. Give me a Gibson and my Marshall and maybe a Boss pedal and turn it up til your ears bleed! I can tune my own guitar, change the strings, re wire, all of that my self. Its part of the fun. I can spend a whole night tearing a guitar apart and cleaning it. Maybe I'm just crazy.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:44 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Guys, you can't be afraid of technology. The electric guitar itself was called stupid by people when it was first brought up, you wouldnt be on this forum if they were right.

I dig stringing and tuning my guitars at home as much as the next guy, but this is clearly marketed towards live playing guitarists not wanting to waste time tuning, or recovering from string breakage live on stage.

Thumbs up for innovation from me.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:14 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Mr.Coneman wrote:
Guys, you can't be afraid of technology. The electric guitar itself was called stupid by people when it was first brought up, you wouldnt be on this forum if they were right.

I dig stringing and tuning my guitars at home as much as the next guy, but this is clearly marketed towards live playing guitarists not wanting to waste time tuning, or recovering from string breakage live on stage.

I agree with ya Cones to a point. Segovia hated the electric guitar and people laughed at Leo Fender's Esquire comparing its looks to a snow shovel or canoe paddle. I don't own a tuner, but if I played live every night I would have to have one. The problem I have with these things is always learning the setup. If it's quick AND saves you having to retune between every song that's great, but if it's a pain to set up everytime you change strings, I don't think it will last too long. I'm guessing the $500,000 cost listed is R&D or licensing. Otherwise, only the pros would be able to afford it anyway. I do think that there are a bunch of goofy, gimmicky gadgets out now for guitar that seem pretty silly, but there always have been (see back pages of guitar magazines). As always, the stuff that works will stick around and the worthless gadgets eventually go away.

CrypticNight wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if one day they came out with a guitar that played itself so you don't have to bother learning how to play, and then you can just stand there on stage while your guitar plays itself or something... :roll:

Isn't that called 'Guitar Hero'? j/k I've never played it.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:04 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Mr.Coneman wrote:

Agreed, when you break a string with a Floyd Rose or Kahler it's a nightmare, but if something allows you to remain in tune after breaking a string or changes in climate I think it's a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:45 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

i dont understand why people think breaking a string on a floyd is a pain in the ass? changing strings on a strat is way worse! i have broke like 3 high E strings on those crappy bridges haha =)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:24 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

ReXiX wrote:
i dont understand why people think breaking a string on a floyd is a pain in the ass? changing strings on a strat is way worse! i have broke like 3 high E strings on those crappy bridges haha =)

It is? Doesnt take me very long to change them on my strat

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:41 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

ReXiX wrote:

It's a pain in the ass because the guitar goes out of tune. Breaking a string on a strat is a pretty simple change. With the newly designed Floyd Rose systems it's not as big an issue, but the older set ups it is a pain.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:35 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Cheers Lance

I think this is pretty amazing *r* and I have to say I love technology. With guitars, I am of the view that if I want purity then I have the classical guitar to enjoy a guitar that is self contained and requires no wires, electricity etc...

The way I see it, is as soon as I embrace the the electric guitar, then hell :) bring on as many adaptions and advancements as possible, I have crossed away from purity (what ever that is anyway) and ventured into an instrument that is essentially a bastardised guitar!

Ciaran and JT yes, Segovia said the electric guitar was an abomination of the instrument! Miserable old goat LOL

Matt

I am away for a while concentrating on music; if you need to get in contact please follow the link above. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:40 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

If the guitar stays in tune no matter what, what if you attempt to bend a note? wouldnt it just keep the note of the bent note?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:18 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

OnTheRhoads wrote:
If the guitar stays in tune no matter what, what if you attempt to bend a note? wouldnt it just keep the note of the bent note?
open strings vibrate differently than a fretted note =)