It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:02 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

The guy (Ian Hatton) did some touring with Paul Rodgers (not sure if they recorded anything) and Robert Plant's Honeydrippers. Recently he recorded an Ep with some chick named Katrina Chester, but not sure what kind of music it is. He also was on a tribute to Muddy waters CD back in the 90's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:17 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanks! Much appreciated. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:39 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Hey iron, I have a problem that I need your help with. Ive consulted many websites and found that joe holmes recorded the visual lies album with lizzy borden in 87 or 88. Gene allen is supposedly the other guitarist. Now is joe doing lead or gene? Im just confused as to whose solos Im hearing but it sounds like joe. Any help is much appreciated. Thx. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:45 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Sorry to say, it's hard to tell when you have a two -guitarist band and both guys play rhythm and lead. (Priest have given the solos breakdown before though.) I don't have "Visual Lies", but I have the video from the live "Murderous Metal Road Show" so I'd probably be able to pick out some solos from Gene Allen as compared to Joe Holmes if I heard it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:47 pm 

Ironface, your wealth of knowledge is impressive. I've got a legit Ozzy question, then a couple "Stump the Iron" queries:

1. In the early/mid 80s after Randy passed, Ozzy shaved his head at some point. My friend saw him live in New Orleans on that tour (Diary? Speak?) and Ozzy came out wearing a wig and said he let his hair down in the French Quarter the previous night then tossed the wig in the crowd. Was this part of his regular act for a period of time on that tour, or was the head-shaving incident really something that occurred at the New Orleans tour stop? If it was ongoing, how long did he keep the head shaved and do the wig bit?

Now the stumpers:

2. The Scorpions drummer released a solo album in the 80s. What was the name of it and who were some of the other musicians on that album?

3. This is more recent but it has ties to Zakk and to the 80s, so here goes: Black Label Society's drummer for the past several years, Craig, is the younger brother of what 80's heavy metal guitarist? Name the guitarist and the band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:15 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

!). Ozzy got drunk and shaved his head, allegedly in New Orleans. He didn't have many gigs lined up after that and so the wig thing was only a one-off I think. When SOTD was recorded Ozzy hair was up to crew cut level and was short through the entire "SOTD" tour (aka Jake's breaking in tour).

2) Scorps drummer Herman Rarebell did a couple solo albums, but the one you're likely asking about was called "Herman Ze German". Some of the guys that played on it were: Don Dokken, Juan Croucier, Bobby Blotzer, Steve Marriott and Jack Russell. His other solo album was "Nip In The Bud".

3). Steve Blaze-Lillian Axe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:31 pm 

Ironface never ceases to amaze....thanks for the Ozzy info. My friend always swore that Ozzy's scalp looked all uneven and like it was not a "professional" shave job which led him to believe he really did do it in a drunken stupor in New Orleans.

I have looked for the old "Herman Ze German" release in recent years hoping to find it was re-released on CD in Germany or something but never found it. Alas, I'll have to stick to my vinyl copy.

And yes, Stevie Blaze, also known to his former grammar school classmates (such as me) as Steven Nunenmacher, is the older brother of Craig Nunenmacher. Steve hated changing his name -- he thought it sounded really stupid, but MCA required it as part of their first recording contract. Apparently they had dreams of marketing him as the next guitar god...

Nothing gets by Ironface!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:08 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I was wondering, who played rhythm for Metallica while James was recovering from his burns on the GNR tour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:33 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Follis wrote:
I was wondering, who played rhythm for Metallica while James was recovering from his burns on the GNR tour?

John Marshall, Kirk's old roomate and ex-Metallica guitar tech. He joined Metal Church in 89 too. John also played rhythm guitar for James when he first broke his arm in 86 (for the Europen tour with Anthrax). First night James get's out of his cast and back on rhythm guitar was Cliff's last gig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:36 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

ironface166 wrote:
Follis wrote:

John Marshall, Kirk's old roomate and ex-Metallica guitar tech. He joined Metal Church in 89 too. John also played rhythm guitar for James when he first broke his arm in 86 (for the Europen tour with Anthrax). First night James get's out of his cast and back on rhythm guitar was Cliff's last gig.

Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:23 am 

There is a boot available of John Marshall playing and James just doing vocals. James is either (a) really drunk, or (b) totally wasted on pain medication. Possibly the worst vocal performance I've ever heard by him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:41 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I know they may be sort of a lame band to some but I like some of their stuff so I thought Id ask, how many albums has stryper put out? And if its not too much trouble, do you know the name of each. The only one I know is to hell with the devil. Thx in advance because I know youll know this :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:50 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
I know they may be sort of a lame band to some but I like some of their stuff so I thought Id ask, how many albums has stryper put out? And if its not too much trouble, do you know the name of each. The only one I know is to hell with the devil. Thx in advance because I know youll know this :lol:

Really easier to do a google and hit their website than me naming em all. :lol: This isn't so much a trivia question, just an easy search. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:50 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Just Google "Stryper". The very first return is:

http://www.google.com/musica?aid=PBIVNqDtq0K&oi=musicr

The second is the official Stryper site. I became a fan of sorts many years ago because of this incredibly hot girl in my college biology class. She was a fan and would talk and witness to me. I would listen to whatever she had to say too. My intentions were way less than honorable as you might imagine.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:55 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Thx ant and dan. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:06 am 

About the most comprehensive music web site out there for any band in any genre of music is http://www.allmusic.com

I use it all the time for checking album releases, track listings, biographis of bands, reviews of albums, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:25 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Hey Iron,

The song "Hungry for heaven" by Dio had an almost identical intro guitar riff, to which mildy successful UK chart single in the late 70's by the band "The Sweet" :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:41 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

blizzard wrote:
Hey Iron,

The song "Hungry for heaven" by Dio had an almost identical intro guitar riff, to which mildy successful UK chart single in the late 70's by the band "The Sweet" :?:

Sounds like somebody else tring to "stump the Iron" with an "ALMOST identical intro guitar riff" quiz. :lol: Sorry, that doesn't qualify for my knowledge and I'm not a Sweet fan at all. Ask me something you WANT to know. :wink: btw-that riff was so cliche' it could qualify as "almost" identical to alot of other band's riffs. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:23 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Iron, do you know what slayer was called before they were called slayer? I heard it was dragon slayer or something of that sort. Im just checking my source with the master *bows down*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:47 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

I'll throw in some extra bs on this one. :lol: When Slayer formed in 1982, the name Dragonslayer was considered, but they ended up using Slayer instead. Kerry King and Tom Araya had been in a band together previously (the name escapes me at the moment) and they got Jeff Hanneman and lastly Dave Lombardo on board. They were playing all cover tunes (Priest, Leppard, Maiden, Accept) until, as legend (and Lars Ulrich. :lol: ) has it, they opened up on a 4 band bill for early Metallica (w/Mustaine)and then decided to go with the thrash/speed metal style.In 83 another band calling itself Slayer (out of Texas) released an EP called "Prepare To Die" and Slayer ended up suing them over the name and won.

Last edited by ironface166 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:51 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

once again, you never cease to amaze me. *r*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:17 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Ok, I have a Rough Cutt question:

Who are the M. Gable and B. Carr that wrote Never Gonna Die on the ST album?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:08 am 

Follis wrote:

That would be Mable Gable and Beatrice Carr, the elderly grandmothers of the Rough Cutt boys.

Extra super bonus trivia: Did you know Rough Cut got their name from an unforunate incident with a mohel? :lol:

Ok, now you know why it's "Ask Ironface" and not "Ask Cableguyxx" :lol: I don't know what the hell I'm talking about \:D/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:10 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Follis wrote:

Another question:

It's Goldy, not Goldie, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:22 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Follis wrote:
Follis wrote:

Another question:

It's Goldy, not Goldie, right?

Correct, it's Goldy, though it's mispelled alot, just as Randy's last name was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:18 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Do you know about the "Never Gonna Die" question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:34 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

hmmmmmmmmm
let me see one question...
wich artist is about to release a new cd ? :p
maybe kinda easy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Follis wrote:
Do you know about the "Never Gonna Die" question?

Oh sh*t, didn't Darin answer that one right already? :lol: Nah, no idea. Sounds like one for the "Ask Paul Shortino" forum. :lol:

dee_ wrote:
hmmmmmmmmm
let me see one question...
wich artist is about to release a new cd ? :p
maybe kinda easy...

Artist huh? Umm...Leonardo DeVinci maybe?
Congrats, I'm finally stumped with the most brilliant trivia question. =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:46 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

man by artist i mean guitarist ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:09 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

dee_ wrote:
man by artist i mean guitarist ...

You want me to tell you what guitarist is about to put out a new CD? :?
You must be joking. :lol: This is a trivia thread, not a up to the minute news center (try blabbermouth.net). There's probably 1000 guitarists about to put out a new CD.

Next!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next