It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stratovarius
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:58 pm 

I've heard this band mentioned here before. I saw the CD whilst cruising Best Buy and thought I'd give it a shot. I'm glad I did! That is some really cool stuff.

I also saw a band I'd never heard, but it looks interesting: Symphony X

If you've not heard these guys, check out this one: http://www.symphonyx.com/media/inferno_(unleash_the_fire).mp3

I just checked out there website, and they have soon good downloads. What other bands are in this vein? I'm assuming this is that euro-metal that someone else had mentioned in another thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:32 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I LOVE Symphony X!! They are amazing. They have vocal parts that no one has dared to try since Queen.

Also if you are interested in these guys you should try Shadow Gallery. They are similar.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:54 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Welcome to the wonderful world of Progressive Rock and Metal... my favorite genre of all musics. It's a tremendous challenge to play, as well as a challenge to listen to. You have elements of rock, European musics, jazz and classical all blended together, but some bands do this to a greater degree than others.
A few other bands you should check out, if you haven't already: Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery (as Dave mentioned) and, if you're feeling a bit more adventurous, try Magellan or Explorer's Club. All are highly recommended.
Or, if you'd prefer to try the nostalgia route, where all these bands drew some of their prog influences from, you might try the Godfathers of prog like Yes, Starcastle, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) and Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:46 pm 

Huge Stratovarius fan here. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:07 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Another one would be Vanden Plas.
Vanden Plas American Site or Vanden Plas International Site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:42 am 

Whitewolf wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Progressive Rock and Metal... my favorite genre of all musics. It's a tremendous challenge to play, as well as a challenge to listen to. You have elements of rock, European musics, jazz and classical all blended together, but some bands do this to a greater degree than others.
A few other bands you should check out, if you haven't already: Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery (as Dave mentioned) and, if you're feeling a bit more adventurous, try Magellan or Explorer's Club. All are highly recommended.
Or, if you'd prefer to try the nostalgia route, where all these bands drew some of their prog influences from, you might try the Godfathers of prog like Yes, Starcastle, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) and Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
Man, a while back I asked about Classical type music to heavy guitar in a thread.....this is EXACTLY what I was trying to ask for! Not exactly classical, but Symphony X kicks ass! I just got done listening to the entire CD, and I've got to say I've not smiled like that in some time. That was some good stuff. I mush have more 8) It's kind of like Malmsteen, but more focused on the entire band rather then just the guitar and the arrangements were killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:57 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Man I love them. As well as other bands like Rhapsody, Hammerfall and Symphony X. Like Whitewolf said, its a great genre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:21 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Well, it's not for everybody. Concerts tend to be between 2 and 3 hours.
Also with prog bands, emphasis is placed on the technical abilities of each band member, and this usually results in songs stretching out to about 10 minutes or longer.
But then you have the extreme side of things where the band will connect several songs together running into one another, thus making for one stupendously long song... taking up an entire CD or side of an LP. I love it! :D
Some prime examples:
Fates Warning: A Pleasant Shade of Gray (60+ mins.)
Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans (4 songs, each 20+ mins.)
but the title has to go to...
Dream Theater with some whoppers:
A Change of Seasons (23 mins.)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (42 mins.)
Metropolis Pt. II - Scenes From A Memory (77 mins.)

And yes, these bands have all performed these songs live in their entirety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:49 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Oh yeah... if you're interested in checking out Shadow Gallery, a good disc to start with would be Tyranny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:21 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I have their vision album its good stuff, love that harpsicord on black diamond!

Also check out Sonata Artica, they are a great power metal band which some classy guitar parts, a great singer and a fantasy feel!

Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:48 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Redpred wrote:
I have their vision album its good stuff, love that harpsicord on black diamond!

Also check out Sonata Artica, they are a great power metal band which some classy guitar parts, a great singer and a fantasy feel!

Stratovarius... The "Visions" album is great, an awesome band in my opinion. Timo Tolkki is a great guitarist and Timo Kotipelto is a great singer too.

Yeah, I recommend Sonata for you all too. Just listen to songs like "Broken" or ballads like "Tallulah" and "Shy", they kick ass.

*Daron Malakian in the "Masters Of Metal And Hardrock magazine

- That is true.