It is currently Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Steve Vai
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:25 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Need I say more than his name lol. Perhaps one of the greatest guitar players to ever pick up the instrument. I have all of his solo stuff and next to randy he is probably my favorite. Im so lucky too, because tonight I'm going to see steve, actually in about 4 hours. He is coming to a little nightclub near where I live. I'll let you guys know how it goes. take care everyone
Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:42 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Yeah Steve is amazing, he's such a varied player going from mournfull ballads to stompm your foot metal fusion and everything in between. I'd kill to see him but he's not scedualed to be coming to Ireland anytime soon :?

Anyway enjoy the show and tell us all about it :D

Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:39 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Patrick how was the show? I saw Steve back in 93 W/ Bon Jovi, Darn good show! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:04 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

It was quite the show. Steve had no opening act and played for 2 and a half hours. The coolest part too was when he did an accostic set and actually sang some songs. To my suprise, he did the audience is listening. The last song of the set was surfing with the alien. I guess he wanted to cover a satriani song. Then the encore was liberty and for the love of god. billy sheean and tony mcalpine were in the band too, so it was quite a lineup. Great :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:37 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Eric Sardinas didn't open up for Steve? Steve is one scary mutha on guitar, man. I wasn't able to make his show when he came around my area. :x Did he play 'Whispering A Prayer?' That is one amazing piece of music!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:20 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Yes Ruben he played it. You are 100% right. It is a really beautiful song. If eric did open for him he finished up way early because we got there like 20 minutes before showtime and noone was there (playing that is)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:40 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanks, Pat. :) I can't even begin to explain what I feel when I hear that piece of music. I saw him play that live and I was just so f**king emotional experiencing that song live. :oops: This is what Steve says about Whispering A Prayer: I don't think I can be any more intimate on an instrument than the performance of this song. Amen, brother!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:54 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Thanks for sharing that experience ruben, I feel emotional when I hear it too. He told a funny story too, he was like "you'll never guess who bought the old john wayne estate which is like a 10 second walk from my house" then the crowds like who? and steve goes "britney spears I kid you not, I wont say anything though, I'll let the critics do that" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:27 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I hope Steve doesn't lose sleep while Mr. Spears practices his breakdancing moves with loud music. :lol: Breakdancers. :roll: :lol: This guy is going to have another kid and he's still unemployed. :roll: What a trooper!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:30 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Vai is amazing, have seen him twice in small club settings and it is just unreal to see him play in person... phenominal talent.

Post subject: Vai Concert Review
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:24 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Vai played here the other night (3-23) and here's a review from the Washington Post on the show.

Males of many shapes and hairstyles crowded around the Birchmere stage before Steve Vai's show Wednsday. The performer was nowhere in sight; they were there to gawk at the equipment the roadies were setting up.

Technology alone can't explain Vai's array of sounds. And, though he's as prepared a performer as they come-his soundcheck takes two hours-practice isn't responsible for his ability to play all of those notes so darn quick. Over the 2 1/2 hour set, Vai, 44, showed he's as good at delivering bombastic fare as anybody who ever plugged in: "Liberty" from 1990's "Passion And Warfare", came off like a Soviet bloc national anthem.

But there's a burden to having his chops. Not only are six strings not enough for him-seven string guitars are required equipment for nu-metal axeslingers, all because Vai endorsed their use-but his songs often fall far short ofhis talents. The ballad "Whispering A Prayer" sounds like the music Yanni might be making if he'd listened to Hendrix instead of Lawrence Welk as a kid.

Vai's biggest mainstream exposure to date came playing the devil's guitarist in a guitar duel with, ahem, Ralph Macchio in the 1986 film "Crossroads". (The former Karate Kid finger-synched licks recorded by Ry Cooder for the cinematic duel, while Vai did his own playing, as well as Macchio's final solo.) But there's nothing devilish about Vai's stage demeanor. Unlike other superstar shredders, such as Yngwie Malmsteem and Michael Schenker, Vai wants everyone to know how much he loves playing. He did several Prince imitations-all earnest-and kept commenting on the club's "dinner theater vibe". But he encouraged fans to nosh without guilt, because "there's nobody here more indulgent than us."

Vai let the other monster players in his backing quartet indulge also. During a 10-minute solo, bassist Billy Sheehan, sporting red leather pants that were probably left over from his days in hair-metal supergroup Mr. Big, plucked a doubleneck bass at speeds only Vai could relate to. On the final bombastic instrumental of the evening, "For The Love Of God", Vai played the last few bars with his tongue. For his fans, that act was, figuratevly speaking, a redundancy: they already knew he had this guitar thing licked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:30 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

thanks anthony for posting that. Our local paper had an article but it was like a week ago and it was just advertising steve coming here. Thats a really good first hand account. Billy was just wearing blue jeans and boots here on tuesday, I hate I missed the red leather. anyways thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:40 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
thanks anthony for posting that. Our local paper had an article but it was like a week ago and it was just advertising steve coming here. Thats a really good first hand account. Billy was just wearing blue jeans and boots here on tuesday, I hate I missed the red leather. anyways thx

It's kinda strange that they played where they did (well to me), as it's a really upscale dinner theater that usually doesn't have rock shows, but folk and jazz stuff. :? Blackmore's Night played there a bit ago too, but that's a far cry (volume and format) from what you get when you put Vai/Sheehan/McAlpine on that stage doing some serious ripping. Sorry I missed it. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:48 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:47 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Passion and warfare is my favorite album too. imo, its just the best album by steve to set back and just relax too. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:44 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

The new album is good but i don't know how he's gonna beat 'passion and warfare' for me.
That and his work on 'Eat 'em and Smile' are his highpoints IMO

Last edited by Mod on Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:22 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

April 16th - Fargo, ND - Fargo Theatre... and I'll be there. :D

Last edited by Whitewolf on Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:45 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

say whitewolf, is it the first time you've seen him? Let us know what it was like. If it is half as good as the one he put on here then get ready to rock lol. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:22 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Absolutely... and yes, it'll be the first time I'll be seeing him live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:16 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

man just one word then...enjoy. billy sheean and tony mcalpine are with him too its amazing. His new drummer is really good too. If he does a similiar set to the one he did here, there should be a segment where he talks to the crowd and does an accoustic set. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:02 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Shh... I don't wanna know what he did. :lol:
Too bad Virgil Donati isn't with him now, but I'm certain it'll be fantastic anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:51 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I hear he recorded "For The Love Of God" with the lights out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:56 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I honestly find his set to be boring >_>

Not trying to be a bad guy or anything but take away Vai and all you have is a super samurai laser light japanese cartoon show.

But if you go to a vai show, at least you get to see Macalpine 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:16 pm 

Myka316 wrote:

Not trying to be a bad guy or anything but take away Vai and all you have is a super samurai laser light japanese cartoon show.

I'm kinda confused, because if you take away Vai....then it would no longer be a Vai concert....so coincidentally of course it would just suck. Maybe I'm missing something. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:14 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Metal Matt wrote:
Myka316 wrote:

I'm kinda confused, because if you take away Vai....then it would no longer be a Vai concert....so coincidentally of course it would just suck. Maybe I'm missing something. :lol:

Thats true >_>

I'm more of a Satch guy myself either way.

(saw him last night in anaheim 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:22 pm 

Ah, ok. You had me wondering there for a sec. :P

I'm a huge Satch fan also. I can't chose between Satch or Vai. So different, yet so similar. I love the San Fran DVD. Love Thing/stu solo is my favorite part.

I guess the difference is Vai tries to tap into these really wierd eccentricities and emotions with sounds and tangents. But Satriani relies more on melodies and structures. Thats not to say that Vai doesn't know a thing or two about composition and structure...Both dudes are amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:02 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I guess the reason I like vai more is that he is more experimental. During his solo stuff and when he played with zappa and david lee roth, he's always been innovative. I think his music comes through as like this burst of energy that goes off and on. Its weird. You just have to see him live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:06 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I saw him last night in Fargo...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm still recovering. : )

Last edited by Whitewolf on Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:08 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Whitewolf wrote:
I saw him last night in Fargo...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm still recovering. : )

It seriously put a smile on my face to hear that. Im glad you enjoyed it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:19 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Dude, my head was blown off - it was unbelievable. The level of musicianship was absolutely frightening! Vai, Sheehan and MacAlpine together on the same stage. Vai was sick with a cold, but you would never have known it in his performance.

To see Vai live is not merely a concert; it's almost a transcendental spiritual experience. Steve Vai is at one with the universe and the guitar. His guitar is not merely an instrument... his very consciousness seems to flow from his fingers onto the strings. He can make his guitar cry, make it sing, make it scream. There is nothing he cannot do with a guitar. He is the High Priest of the Church of Celestial Chops! :D

Last edited by Whitewolf on Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.