It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Live in 2005 >>>
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:49 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I'd be happy to hear comments on shows anyone has seen this year. I have tix to Crue and would like to know anything about the tour. That and just any other bands that you all have seen this year, they all get around to Atlanta and I'd be interested to know what's what on the road. Thanks>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:28 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I heard that megadeth and dream theater were going on tour together

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:23 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

chaserw10 wrote:
I heard that megadeth and dream theater were going on tour together

I heard that too...no US dates yet, but that will be one of my ticketbastard purchases this year when it's announced. I hope they come in the winter, I've always enjoyed Megadeath in the middle of December. Dream Theater is a biggie for me, not seen them live, but enjoy their music

thanks!

Remember the days of Circus magazine, I used to flip to the back and see who was on tour and the dates...now we have this crazy internet and it's all too damn easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:44 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

dream theater sucks. at least they do live. i saw them on a concert dvd and all they did was stand still and shred. no movement at all. it sucked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:27 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

There is much more to Dream Theater than "shred" - that's merely one aspect of their style.
And for the record, if they suck so badly live, why did their last DVD get certified platinum in the States alone? Sales overseas for them are even bigger than that.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... :lol:
I just attended a drum clinic with Mike Mangini and it completely cooked me. He's such an amazing and innovative drummer, not to mention he holds 3 out of 4 World's Fastest Drummer awards... and it didn't take long to see why. If "shredding" were possible on drums, he'd be the guy to do it. He's a great clinician, a really nice guy and funny to boot. It doesn't matter what instrument you play, if you get a chance to see a clinic by someone like Mike Mangini - you don't think about it, you just go to it. Highly recommended.
It was done in a tandem format with another drummer, which I've never seen before, but it was interesting. It blew everyone away when they played together at the end and switched kits twice in the middle of the solo. The whole thing was filmed for a DVD as well, so I know I'll be buying it.

Last edited by Whitewolf on Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:04 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I saw Billy Idol last week.... AMAZING show...

I wrote a review at another message board, and if someone wants me to post it here I'll do so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:57 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Please do post the Billy Idol review.

The only act that would get me out is Paul McCartney and/or Brian Wilson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:10 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I posted this in the vai section but I saw him a couple of months ago at a local club and it was a fabulous performance. Its one thing to hear him but to see him actually make his guitar speak is amazing. He does just enough theatrics without making it overboard and cheesy. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:35 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I saw judas priest in march, they put on an awesome show. I will never forget it, it was my first time to see the band live.

*Daron Malakian in the "Masters Of Metal And Hardrock magazine

- That is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:48 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I saw Queensryche at The Warfield Theatre in San Francisco a couple of months ago. The sound system was great, and I really liked the rythym section and the singer a lot. They played two sets, the first being a greatest hits type set, and the second set was playing the entire "Operation:Mindcrime" album, along with actors and a video backdrop. I'd never heard that album, so it was all new to me! But it was something very different, and I enjoyed it. A highlight of the evening was during the first set when the band brought Dave Meniketti of Y&T on stage to play lead guitar on one song. A very good show, even if I was only semi-familiar with Queensrych's stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:10 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

dstout wrote:
Please do post the Billy Idol review.

The only act that would get me out is Paul McCartney and/or Brian Wilson.

Ok, this show was at Congress Theatre in Chicago, which looked REAALLLLY old from the outside (been around since the 20's, and it's in a BAD neighborhood too). In attendence, there were only two kinds of people: punk rockers, middle aged men, and like 2 teenagers (me being one of them). When I got in line, it was LONG but when I got in, there was plenty of space in front of the stage. Behind me were 4 people in their 40's discussing about songs that they knew (they said they only knew about 2, which is pathetic) and talking about work.

Anyways, I was there standing for about 30 minutes, and finally the lights turned out and Billy sang the opening words to "Super Overdrive" from the new album, and the band was ROCKING. The entire band was energetic and they were all over the place. Billy's guitarist Steve Stevens completely kicked my arse; he was all over the place and he was even playing with a broken wrist. They played a bunch of cool songs, which were an even mix of old and new songs. When they ripped into "White Wedding", the whole place was going INSANE and even the older people were moving to the music.

Steve Stevens then had his own guitar solo, where he was playing an Ovation-like nylon string electric-acoustic. He was playing a cool melody, but then he went into shred mode and started playing SUPER fast and ripping up the fretboard (ala Spanish Fly). Before this, I doubted his abilities but that night I ate my words and they nearly choked me. I won't go into setlist details yet because I am lazy, but they played 3 covers tunes: Generation X's (his old band) "Ready, Steady, Go", The Doors "L.A. Woman" and The Who's "Who Are You?"

During one of the new songs, Billy had a bunch of autographed paper plates and he threw them into the crowd, and I CAUGHT one of them. I should frame it. During his performances, he even signed stuff while singing!! At the end, the drummer grabbed a guitar and got into a guitar showdown with Steve, and it blew us all away. Billy is also a pretty good acoustic player.

In conclusion, I'd say that if you're not that big of a fan of Billy Idol, I suggest you go to this show NOW. I can barely hear out of my ears now, and all of today I had his tunes ringing into my mind. I am now a 100% converted fan. This show was extremely fun, and I reccomend it. Even the older fans would be pleased at how good he sounds (he sings the older stuff as well as he did back then).

Setlist (from what I could remember):

Super Overdrive
Dancing With Myself
Flesh For Fantasy
White Wedding
World Comin Down
Eyes Without a Face
Steve Stevens guitar solo
Rat Race
Sweet Sixteen
Cherie
L.A. Woman
Ready, Steady, Go
Rebel Yell
Bleeding Me Through (Billy said it was the 2nd time performing it, and it's unreleased)
Who Are You?
Mony Mony

I'm sure there was more... but I can't really remember

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:51 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I love Billy Idol...he's great...enjoyed him in The Wedding Singer as well. They recently rolled into Atlanta and was also in an old dive here that used to be a church (it was resurrected for the House Of Blues back in the '96 Olympics). Anyhow, I read the details, saw photos from the AJC and they made no mention of the autographs. That rocks the house..he's so cool. I would love to take my daughter, she's into punk music like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan, but I'd like her to see how it all started. Rock on Billy Idol!!! Thanks for the details as well, I missed a great tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:13 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

So cool! I'd love to see that show but concerts don't really fit into my life at this time. "Eyes without a face" is such a cool tune. Reminds me of the summer of 1984. His Rebel Yell album got a lot of airplay but I never got sick of it (other than the title track).

Steve Stevens is a friggin' monster on guitar. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:37 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Went and saw B.L.S at house of blues in vegas in March. Top show and Zakk did a nice speech about Randy & Dime. Was spoiled a bit by some hairy ass Hardly Drivable dude shouting "play some f***ing music" as Zakk spoke. I thought he was gonna get lynched. Killer show though none the less. Going seeing Des' Tribute gig nxt Sunday and ive just heard that Floyd are rumoured to headline Live Aid 2 with Roger Waters in London on the 2nd of July. If this is true ill be there :D I saw Waters on his own last year in Manchester but was hugly disappointed with the p**s poor stage set up for the price of the tickets.