It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: English patient composer masterclass
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:29 am 

I know this may not be everyones thing but I'd like to share a lecture I had with a film composer called Gabriel Yared at Surrey university yesterday.

Yared wrote the music for most recently Cold Mountain but is perhaps most famous for the oscar winner the English Patient and The Talented Mr Ripley. The guy is completely self taught and in his 20's wrote rock and pop songs playing in a funk band. He didn't begin to understand counterpoint and harmony until he was 30.

The most interesting things he spoke of alluded to Buddist type thought that can also be found in Randy's approach to music. He said that the word talent was irelevant as all music came from above and a musician or composer was just a medium. He mentioned time and time again the need to serve music first and foremost. Interestingly he turned down about 3 films a year. "if the director is selfish or arrogant I do not want to work with them"

He was a complete maverick and a lover of all music. Several times he refused to pass judgment if he felt in any way it was negative on another musician.

When he was asked if he ever wanted to take a holiday. He replied that he holidays in music. He opens up one of his many scores of what takes his fancy and just plays the piano for himself. That he said took him somewhere else.

His last words summed up his modesty.

"Don't look at my work for the answer, go to the real masters...Mozart, Bach, Mahler"

For anyone who has varied tastes in music check out Gabriel Yared. He is fantastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:42 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Great story Matt, he sounds like a real musician,
one who's in it for the love... not the money, fame... what not. I always appreciate a modest musician/composer.