It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:27 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: JOHN NORUM
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:34 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:37 am
Posts: 979
Location: San Antonio, TX
Speaking of musicians, is anybody here a fan of John Norum? I never thought that much of him, but lately I've been listening to some of his old Europe work,and I've seen some old footage of him, and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. From what I understand, he was a contemporary of Yngwie in Sweden... they went through a lot of the same support players.

_________________
_______________________
http://www.fernandoramirez.com
http://www.ramificationentertainment.com
http://www.razorboneband.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:30 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:52 pm
Posts: 6906
I think he's great.
'The Final Countdown' solo is one of my all time favourites.
there's a lot of Gary Moore influence in his playing, especially noticable on the album he did with Glenn Hughes.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:57 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:58 pm
Posts: 261
Location: UK
I don't know much of his work by the Final Countdown solo is also one of my favs. Great phrasing and those arpeggios are killer! :D


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:27 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:27 pm
Posts: 120
Location: Manchester, UK
Final Countdown is great. Very Crowley-esque, though, isn't it? (No bad thing)

Got one of John's solo albums somewhere, and that's pretty good too.

_________________
Hearing Randy Rhoads on the Tribute album changed my life and made me pick up the guitar.
To hear what I'm currently working on visit http://www.myspace.com/killorcure
Personal site: http://www.myspace.com/danh007


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:30 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:38 am
Posts: 640
Location: Richland,Wa.
That band was SOOO cheesy :lol: ........but that song was sooo cool!
had to like it!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:14 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:53 pm
Posts: 366
Location: Dublin, Ireland
i LOVE John Norum! I have europe's greatest hits and dvd which has some live performances. I was disappointed when he left after the countdown album. I love Stormwind, Ninja, Dreamer solo is great, final countdown, carrie and rock the night! Class.

_________________
Only Those Bold Enough To Chase Dreams Are The Ones Who Actually Catch Them!

Randy Rhoads-An Inspiration To All! Not Only As A Guitar Player But As A Human Being.

http://mitchvanhalen.facebook.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:16 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:16 pm
Posts: 110
Location: UK
One of my favourites guitarists. I love his early Europe stuff (way better than the Final Countdown) and some of his solo work is great.

I would say he has Gary Moore and big splash of Ritchie Blackmore in his playing - love it :twisted:


I would strongly recommend his solo album with Glenn Huges titled 'Face the Truth' - an album full of classic riffs, great melodies and some great solo's.

His current work with Europe is also very good and some Zakk sounding riffs with harmonics.

Des, they are touring UK soon and have announced a date at Wolverhampton Civic Hall - got my tickets and can't wait to see Norum again (last saw him on tour with Dokken) - you really don't want to miss him.

_________________
Don't ever think there's always tomorrow - make it happen today!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:24 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 9:21 am
Posts: 5305
xx123456


Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:35 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:37 am
Posts: 979
Location: San Antonio, TX
Des wrote:
I think he's great.
'The Final Countdown' solo is one of my all time favourites.
there's a lot of Gary Moore influence in his playing, especially noticable on the album he did with Glenn Hughes.


Thanks. I'll have to track that album down.

_________________
_______________________
http://www.fernandoramirez.com
http://www.ramificationentertainment.com
http://www.razorboneband.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:39 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:37 am
Posts: 979
Location: San Antonio, TX
Randy E Wylde wrote:
i LOVE John Norum! I have europe's greatest hits and dvd which has some live performances. I was disappointed when he left after the countdown album. I love Stormwind, Ninja, Dreamer solo is great, final countdown, carrie and rock the night! Class.


Hey, I've got that DVD also, and that live stuff is what really turned me around on him. I was really impressed... his playing has a lot of substance there... very tasty licks... some really nice, fast phrases... almost can hear the Swedish/Yngwie influence but tapered with a lot more bluesiness. And he plays with some serious feeling on that DVD. Very exciting playing.

Because of that DVD, I listened more carefully to my Europe Greatest Hits CD (I was used to skipping the first 6 songs and going to THE FINAL COUNTDOWN), and liked a lot of what I heard.

Speaking of that, man it is incredible how Joey Tempest goes from sounding really roughshod in the early Europe stuff, and then when they recorded THE FINAL COUNTDOWN it was like he finally put it all together! Amazing.

_________________
_______________________
http://www.fernandoramirez.com
http://www.ramificationentertainment.com
http://www.razorboneband.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:54 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:29 am
Posts: 162
Location: Kali
John Norum was Don Dokkens guitarist after dokken went bust.There where a few cool songs on that lp...i'm surprised nobody has mentioned the dokken thing....am i that old???

_________________
'Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.'

'Who Dares,Wins'


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:28 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:53 pm
Posts: 366
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Fernando Ramirez wrote:
Randy E Wylde wrote:
i LOVE John Norum! I have europe's greatest hits and dvd which has some live performances. I was disappointed when he left after the countdown album. I love Stormwind, Ninja, Dreamer solo is great, final countdown, carrie and rock the night! Class.


Hey, I've got that DVD also, and that live stuff is what really turned me around on him. I was really impressed... his playing has a lot of substance there... very tasty licks... some really nice, fast phrases... almost can hear the Swedish/Yngwie influence but tapered with a lot more bluesiness. And he plays with some serious feeling on that DVD. Very exciting playing.

Because of that DVD, I listened more carefully to my Europe Greatest Hits CD (I was used to skipping the first 6 songs and going to THE FINAL COUNTDOWN), and liked a lot of what I heard.

Speaking of that, man it is incredible how Joey Tempest goes from sounding really roughshod in the early Europe stuff, and then when they recorded THE FINAL COUNTDOWN it was like he finally put it all together! Amazing.


i know what you mean, on their first performance when they won the competition singing 'the king will return' and 'in the future to come' joey tempest looked and sounded really dodgy with that dead mouse on his upper lip, but when countdown came along they all looked cool and looked the part.
their 4 songs they do live is great, i love playing along to 'ninja' cause the solo is great! I find i can pick up those songs by just watching norum play, they may not be technically correct but they sound pretty close to me. The news clips are ok but i would of loved to seen a final countdown performance with john on guitar live! oh well. Kee Marcello the dude who replaced him is also pretty good!

_________________
Only Those Bold Enough To Chase Dreams Are The Ones Who Actually Catch Them!

Randy Rhoads-An Inspiration To All! Not Only As A Guitar Player But As A Human Being.

http://mitchvanhalen.facebook.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:57 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:16 pm
Posts: 110
Location: UK
I saw Norum with Dokken and he was fantastic.

Kee Marcello just didn't cut it for me (saw him live a few times) - technically good, but just too bland - Norum has BALLS!!!!

Europe with Norum back is great news and I a can't wait to see them live!

_________________
Don't ever think there's always tomorrow - make it happen today!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:32 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:37 am
Posts: 979
Location: San Antonio, TX
Randy E Wylde wrote:
i know what you mean, on their first performance when they won the competition singing 'the king will return' and 'in the future to come' joey tempest looked and sounded really dodgy with that dead mouse on his upper lip, but when countdown came along they all looked cool and looked the part. their 4 songs they do live is great, i love playing along to 'ninja' cause the solo is great! I find i can pick up those songs by just watching norum play, they may not be technically correct but they sound pretty close to me. The news clips are ok but i would of loved to seen a final countdown performance with john on guitar live! oh well. Kee Marcello the dude who replaced him is also pretty good!


Dead Mouse? HAHAHAH I love that!!

I also really like Kee's work. I really like the two albums he did with them... I think they are great. His technique is so clean, but then he'll come in with some really great bends. I like his solo in SUPERSTITION. I learned it back when it came out, and can still play it (or something really close) to this day.

_________________
_______________________
http://www.fernandoramirez.com
http://www.ramificationentertainment.com
http://www.razorboneband.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:20 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:49 pm
Posts: 110
Location: Somewhere In The North
John Norum is a great guitarist. I like his style more than Yngwie's, even though John is from Norway. Just today i was playing the solo to Final Countdown for the first time ever, :D
Does Anyone know why John left Europe after the FC album?

_________________
"My advice for any musician is to just be yourself. Influences are good, but trying to be someone else ain't too cool."

*Daron Malakian in the "Masters Of Metal And Hardrock magazine

- That is true.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:36 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:53 pm
Posts: 366
Location: Dublin, Ireland
as far as i know, john norum left because he didnt like the direction in which the band were going.

_________________
Only Those Bold Enough To Chase Dreams Are The Ones Who Actually Catch Them!

Randy Rhoads-An Inspiration To All! Not Only As A Guitar Player But As A Human Being.

http://mitchvanhalen.facebook.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:21 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:37 am
Posts: 979
Location: San Antonio, TX
Yeah, that sounds right to me. He was dissatisfied with the general direction of the band (into a more "pop" element). If you listen to the early stuff, it was more rock... there were some ballads here and there, but overall, more guitar oriented. A shame he left right as the band were taking off.

Anyway, I just bought the new album START FROM THE DARK, and it's pretty good. Some of it has to grow on me... it sounded a lot more modern than I expected, but John's work on it is pretty good. The production is really good, and clear. It's one of those albums that I'll have to live with to really get used to it... there are about 3-4 great songs that grabbed me from the get go. The rest will take some time.

_________________
_______________________
http://www.fernandoramirez.com
http://www.ramificationentertainment.com
http://www.razorboneband.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:17 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:53 pm
Posts: 366
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Fernando Ramirez wrote:
Yeah, that sounds right to me. He was dissatisfied with the general direction of the band (into a more "pop" element). If you listen to the early stuff, it was more rock... there were some ballads here and there, but overall, more guitar oriented. A shame he left right as the band were taking off.

Anyway, I just bought the new album START FROM THE DARK, and it's pretty good. Some of it has to grow on me... it sounded a lot more modern than I expected, but John's work on it is pretty good. The production is really good, and clear. It's one of those albums that I'll have to live with to really get used to it... there are about 3-4 great songs that grabbed me from the get go. The rest will take some time.


hey fernando i was gonna get that album but i was unsure cause i thought it would sound really modern cause i just love everything bout 80s europe like keyboards guitar solos makeup and big hair and big drums.
would it be worth getting? anything decent like their old stuff?
you know fernando i think you and me have some things in common!

_________________
Only Those Bold Enough To Chase Dreams Are The Ones Who Actually Catch Them!

Randy Rhoads-An Inspiration To All! Not Only As A Guitar Player But As A Human Being.

http://mitchvanhalen.facebook.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:24 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:49 pm
Posts: 110
Location: Somewhere In The North
Hey, all about the 80's rocks, :D
All the music, all the things R.E.Wylde mentioned there. It is sad that JN left back then, Europe would surely have been much more if he had stayed.

_________________
"My advice for any musician is to just be yourself. Influences are good, but trying to be someone else ain't too cool."

*Daron Malakian in the "Masters Of Metal And Hardrock magazine

- That is true.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:57 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:37 am
Posts: 979
Location: San Antonio, TX
Randy E Wylde wrote:
hey fernando i was gonna get that album but i was unsure cause i thought it would sound really modern cause i just love everything bout 80s europe like keyboards guitar solos makeup and big hair and big drums. would it be worth getting? anything decent like their old stuff?
you know fernando i think you and me have some things in common!


You bet we have some stuff in common! Anyway, it's extremely Modern in my opinion. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being 80s and 10 being modern... it's about an 8. The biggest difference is the guitars... sounds like Norum is using a detuned guitar (or a baritone guitar) to get those low low chucks like a lotta bands nowadays. There's only 2-3 songs that sound like the old Europe. Joey is singing a lot different on it... he doesn't sound "happy" the way he always did before... it's actually a quite "moody" album. Not positive sounding, but "darker."

If you like the band, it's worth listening to the following samples first.

http://www.nehrecords.com/shop/EuropeStart.htm#MTM015

This is the link I listened to before I bought it here in San Antonio TX at a store that specializes in imports. I paid $24.99 for it!!!!

I'm happy with it.. it's growing on me.

_________________
_______________________
http://www.fernandoramirez.com
http://www.ramificationentertainment.com
http://www.razorboneband.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:39 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:16 pm
Posts: 110
Location: UK
I really like the album. As Fernando says, JT's singing is much darker (way better IMO) and there is a fair bit of drop d tuning. If you have heard JT's most recent solo project, you can see the development of his songwriting style from this back into the rock world (I really like JT's compositions - good chilled out listening). There are plenty of hooks and some real good tracks - personal faves are Wake up Call, Start from the Dark and Flames (love the solo on Flames)

_________________
Don't ever think there's always tomorrow - make it happen today!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:13 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 1036
Location: Indiana
His 1st solo album "Total Control" is killer! if you like "The Final Countdown" you'll dig his 1st solo (album)! He played way more guitar parts than in his old Europe days, a simply great album!

_________________
"History is just a one side story" - Napoleon Bonaparte


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:53 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:16 pm
Posts: 110
Location: UK
Total Control is indeed a great album - Marcel Jacob on bass and Goran Edman on vocals. This album sounds to me like is should have followed Wings of Tomorrow - songs considerably better, but that vibe.

Eternal Flame is a killer track and one of my alltime favourite songs.

_________________
Don't ever think there's always tomorrow - make it happen today!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:14 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:37 am
Posts: 979
Location: San Antonio, TX
I'm still listening to START FROM THE DARK and it's really starting to grow on me. I thought the other guys had more input in the songwriting, but according to the credits, it's Joey doing most of the songwriting!

There are two songs that sound almost like SOUNDGARDEN.

Has anyone seen them in concert lately? It must be jarring to go from the old material to the new material! He sings them SO different!

All in all, I like SFTD and it continues to grow on me.

_________________
_______________________
http://www.fernandoramirez.com
http://www.ramificationentertainment.com
http://www.razorboneband.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 

All times are UTC


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 
cron