It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Brad Paisley
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:31 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Anyone seen the new commercials for Target with Kermit the Frog and Brad Paisley?

Brad plays a couple quick licks (dueling w/Kermits banjo) that sound sweet. I'd really like to hear some of his live stuff, I hear he's quite the monster player when he cuts loose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:39 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Brad is awesome. I live about 30 minutes from where he grew up. I can tell you one thing, he tore it up every weekend around Wheeling WVA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:28 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

JT wrote:
Brad is awesome. I live about 30 minutes from where he grew up. I can tell you one thing, he tore it up every weekend around Wheeling WVA.

I am very impressed with his playing... I tried playing some country stuff and it is hard to get my head around the pentatonic MAJOR scale after using Pentatonic MINOR for so long... I am impressed by ayone who plays well, and Brad Paisley definitely plays well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:35 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Oh my this guy is good. Darin (cableguy) introduced me to him and I've heard Paul (RockyRhoads) mention him many times. The man is a true guitar hero and I am stumped why I never read of him in most guitar magazines. Must be the "genre" of country music.

I am really the last person who is going to be a country music fan. It is horrible for the most part. Largely overproduced with lyrical content that is better absorbed by smashing your forehead with a shovel. I always think of "Bubba Shot the Jukebox" or "Achy Breaky Heart" when I think "Country". Dumb lyrics and nothing to offer anyone interested in musicianship.

That being said, I love some old George Jones, any Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Lyle Lovett. I love Faith Hill and Shania Twain for different reasons (those two can sing dumb stuff all day and I will still enjoy watching it, err, them...those?).

This Paisley cat is the goods though. I've read an interview of his and he doesn't underestimate the intelligence of his listener. And he absolutely smokes a Telecaster. He is incredible and can be mentioned in the same breath as John5, Buckethead, Satriani, and Vai though he is undeniably country in his approach.

Definitely a fan now.

Did I mention I like Shania?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:50 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Alot of those country guys absolutely RIP! Forget about vertical scale patterns, these guys are finger pickin', string skippin' shredders. And the next time you're pretending your a rock guitar god with your pentatonic minor licks, turn off your distortion pedal and play it clean for a few days :shock:

And Shania is HOT!! =P~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:33 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

danno wrote:

Did I mention I like Shania?

Even if I didn't like her music, I can already see two reasons to like her. :-) But I actually do like her voice & she's a great entertainer. Mutt's amazing production is just as impressive.

Oh, and Brad Paisley is a monster, he's making me develop a whole new appreciation for Telecasters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:58 pm 

I'm preachin' it :lol:

Here's Brad on Letterman from the 12th. Mr. Policeman is a fun song from his new CD 5th Gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoEy02teLzU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:43 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

old country is great like buck owens,willie nelson..new country is not real country-it sucks like chesney,toby keith but the musicians are top notch-reminds me of 80s hair metal bands with sh*t songs but great players...Shania is a smoker though.Brad paisley is one of the real new country players...Vince gill kills lbert lee also...Country guitar is insane good.

Perception IS Reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:44 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I agree Trazy. Country is the new shred only you can't hide behind some ridiculously overdriven amp with a distortion pedal. These guys are playing way clean.

I think a few old hair band guys from way back are cleaning up their sound and getting Nashville gigs. The competition must be crazy in that town. Somebody like Paisley comes along and seriously raises the bar. There is going to be some crazy guitar in country over the next few years I predict.

As far as country songs, yeah, most are pretty bad. Paisley assumes his audience has a little intelligence though. He writes pretty insightful lyrics and the lighter stuff is very witty - especially for country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:09 pm 

I agree with both comments.

I've also heard that some former Metal guitarists have changed over to Country.

Another form of music that I never gave a chance before, but really blows me away is Bluegrass. There are some serious acoustic pickers out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:34 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

My grandpa (RIP) was a HUGE bluegrass fan. he used to listen to it all the time. I dont mind it at all. and there are some pretty good guitar players in bluegrass, some of the stuff is just crazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:04 am 

I remember as a kid being blown away by an album of Roy Clark playing guitar. It was an all-instrumental album called "The Lightning Fingers of Roy Clark." It was shredding before shredding existed!! "Twelfth Street Rag" on that album is incredible!!

Here's the best Roy Clark vid clip I could find on You Tube to give you an idea but even this vid does not do justice to the way he could play back in the 60s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPE5LNO1EFM&feature=related

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:10 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Bluegrass is huge here in Western NC. We have Merle Fest with Doc Watson about a half hour from here (North Wilkesboro) that attracts tens of thousands every summer. The Home Town Opry is in the same town (live radio show that starts 5am every Friday morning in an old pawnshop). The mountains are only a few minutes up the road and there are countless places to see live bluegrass. Out near my house is an old barbeque lodge with live bluegrass and dancing (dain-sin!) every weekend.

Grab yer sister an come on down!

:shock: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:04 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Mess o' Brad Solo bits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIlZPm-g6Hw&NR=1

Post subject: Re: Brad Paisley
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Okay, one more and I'll end my hype campaign. I have to wonder is it really him playing all of these leads. Whoever it is the solo in "Make A Mistake With Me" is quite possibly one of the if not the greatest guitar solo of all time. He sweeps, shreds, chicken picks and lord knows what else in this one song. He is a freak of nature - like he's too good. :shock:

Well maybe that is a bit much but dang, he is good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:10 am 

danno wrote:
Okay, one more and I'll end my hype campaign. I have to wonder is it really him playing all of these leads. Whoever it is the solo in "Make A Mistake With Me" is quite possibly one of the if not the greatest guitar solo of all time. He sweeps, shreds, chicken picks and lord knows what else in this one song. He is a freak of nature - like he's too good. :shock:

Well maybe that is a bit much but dang, he is good.

Oh, it's him. :D During the last month I've seen two different live concerts of him on cable and he's definitely got skills. *r*

I also saw an interview with him on GAC last week and he said his next CD coming out later in 2008 will be an all-instrumental album. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:38 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

i'm gonna have to go along with the majority here. i had heard all the hype about brad paisley---but had never heard him. watched the o so boring grammy awards and finally gots to see his stuff. this cats fingers play the notes---no tricks. he is the TELEMASTER.......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:10 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I was down in Tampa last week on business and had a chance to go by Legends Guitars. Most times when I mention a famous player the music stores guys say "Pshh, yeah whatever. He's okay". I saw a Dr. Z amp like Brad uses in their amp room and the tech says "Paisley is incredible - no one is as cool as him". And apparently they can hardly keep those amps in stock.

It's just weird someone that high profile and selling millions of records, winning awards and at the top of the charts is actually as talented at playing an instrument as he is. One of tomorrow's greats in the making.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 pm 

danno wrote:
I was down in Tampa last week on business and had a chance to go by Legends Guitars. Most times when I mention a famous player the music stores guys say "Pshh, yeah whatever. He's okay". I saw a Dr. Z amp like Brad uses in their amp room and the tech says "Paisley is incredible - no one is as cool as him". And apparently they can hardly keep those amps in stock.

It's just weird someone that high profile and selling millions of records, winning awards and at the top of the charts is actually as talented at playing an instrument as he is. One of tomorrow's greats in the making.

What's even more astounding is, like another guitarist we all know and love, he's by all accounts a super nice, regular guy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:48 pm 

Quote:
Brad Paisley Back in Studio

March 7, 2008 - Brad Paisley headed back into the studio Wednesday to begin recording his next album, a project that features instrumentals that will highlight his work as a guitarist.

The album, he says, was inspired by his 2006 holiday offering A Brad Paisley Christmas, which he describes as "sort of an off-album project; you throw it in between your regular records."

With radio play not a major factor in the creative decisions, the yuletide album allowed him to take some musically creative chances, and it inspired him to find another outlet that would have the same benefit.

"I feel like we're able to take it in a direction that you wouldn't expect me to do," Brad says, of the instrumentals. "I can get away with things on this album that I could never do on my country records. We can have collaborations with people that would seem out of place on country albums. It's just a chance to be really creative in a way that I never get to, sort of a creative/commercial balance."

Brad's proven adept at that balancing act in the past. His latest studio album, 5th Gear, helped him secure four nominations when the finalists were announced Tuesday for the "43rd Annual Academy of Country Music Awards," which will be presented May 18 in Las Vegas.
*yay*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:15 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

'nanner dance +1.

cableguyxx wrote:
What's even more astounding is, like another guitarist we all know and love, he's by all accounts a super nice, regular guy.

That's good to hear. Of course my wife loves that he is married to the #1 chick movie actress of all time (Kimberly Williams "Father of The Bride" movies).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:52 am 

Same story, but posted mainly because of the cool black paisley Tele *0

and another

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:07 am 

I like the red paisley Tele on the cover of his "Time Well Wasted" CD. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:23 am 

8)

Quote:
I know many are aware that Brad Paisley is going to release an instrumental album. I literally just got off the phone confirming the session date.

Brad had mentioned to Brent several times that he wanted him to guest on the album but until today Brent and I had forgotten all about it. No details as far as what Brent will be doing on the album, those of you that know how Nashville works know that you go in the studio cold.

Frank Rogers is Brad's producer and he and his wife are friends of ours. He told Brent that Vince Gill, Steve Wariner and Albert Lee are also scheduled to appear, and I don't know if this is all one song, or each of them will do duets with Brad. I wish I knew more, but I will know what part Brent will play next week because I will definitely tag along to watch this one!:cool: Going to the studio when Brent is working is something I usually do just to see him since he is always working but the actual process is rarely all that interesting to me. But this will be very fun and I love this particular studio because there are alot of "resident doggies", all getting pretty old, that are allowed to wander around and I love to visit with them. Plus the catering will be killer since Frank Rogers knows how to feed his crew! Its usually The Loveless Cafe that caters his sessions.

I am going to take a few pics for our own personal use, so if Brad has no problem with me posting a couple here of the session I will. I will definitely put them on Brent's myspace page.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:25 pm 

UPDATE on the new Brad Paisley CD. This CD - Play - The Guitar Album, is so much fun. It's a country version of what I envision Randy would have eventually done.

I'm going to post 2 songs. One is his nod to Eric Johnson, called Cliffs of Rock City, and the other is a beautiful song called More Than Just This Song, played along side Steve Wariner. Personally, I see a lot of similarities between Randy and Brad, maybe not so much in their playing, but very much so in their outlook and their love of the guitar. Even if you don't like country music, please give these a listen.

Here's the music:

http://www.eternalrandyrhoads.com/paisl ... 20City.mp3

http://www.eternalrandyrhoads.com/paisl ... 20Song.mp3

Here's what Brad had to say about "More Than Just This Song": "When I was a teenager I played in a band with a true master; a man named Clarence "Hank" Goddard. One of my major influences in country music was Steve Wariner, and we've been friends since I was twelve. Steve has a similar story to mine except that his teenage bandleader was a man named Chet Atkins. Perhaps you've heard of him. Anyway this is our tribute to them. *A side note: We each used one of Hank and Chet's actual guitars to record this, as both had passed away. When we opened up the cases, unbeknownst to us, both of them them contained nearly identical bulletins from their funeral services. It really felt like a spiritual pat on the back."

Read the acknowledgments page :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:38 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

No offense to anyone who likes country music ,
But I can't stand it all .If I had to choose going to the chair :shock: or listening to country music I would choose the chair hands down.I can appreciate a lot of different kinds of music but that is not one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:01 pm 

did you at least listen to the songs?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:52 pm 

Metal Maniac wrote:
No offense to anyone who likes country music ,
But I can't stand it all .If I had to choose going to the chair :shock: or listening to country music I would choose the chair hands down.I can appreciate a lot of different kinds of music but that is not one of them.

No matter what your personal music genre preferences, it's hard to believe you can't appreciate guitar work like Brad's if you really gave it a fair chance no matter what the genre. :roll: Frankly, I've gotta question whether you even listened to "Cliffs of Rock City" -- if Darin hadn't told you this was Brad Paisley you might not even peg it as a country artist.

Darin, thanks for posting those songs, buddy. :mrgreen:

Brad Paisley's actually playing not far from me on this upcoming tour and tickets went on sale this morning. I was out of the house when tix went onsale and when I got home all that was left was the cheap seats way up in the nosebleed section. :?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:04 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

BOO SHANIA!!!!! +) you guys suck :wink: Brad is the sheeze when it comes to guitar playing thats for sure *r* im with metalmaniac country for the most part sucks , but every now and again i rock me some folsom prison, blue eyes cryin in the rain,ring of fire,and alot of oldies with ,Cash,Walen,Hagered and Willie 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:08 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Pull the switch *r*