It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: Kiss
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:18 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I saw Kiss! They played a lot of stuff of Alive 35. Great show though :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:27 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
From the Facebook page for Guitar Player magazine about KISS' new upcoming CD:

" '70s-style solos."

Do they mean solos that sound like Ace's playing? :lol:

Curiosity is getting the best of me on this

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:07 pm 

From http://www.kissonline.com (the cover art is on the website):

KISS and Walmart announced today that SONIC BOOM-the band's highly anticipated CD, and its first new material in 11 years-will be sold in the U.S. and Canada exclusively at Walmart, Walmart.com and Sam's Club retail locations beginning October 6. SONIC BOOM, produced by the band's Paul Stanley in Los Angeles, is the centerpiece of a three-disc set that also features a completely re-recorded greatest hits CD as well as a live DVD shot in Argentina during the band's recent, record-breaking KISS ALIVE 35 South American tour. The CD set will retail for $12, with pre-orders starting in September on Walmart.com.

KISS' Gene Simmons says, "SONIC BOOM may be the best new record we've done since Destroyer! It is Rock And Roll Over meets Love Gun. The world's biggest retailer had better get ready for the hottest band in the world and hire more cashiers before October 6th!"

Stanley continues, "Through all of the albums that are considered our classics, we tried to always find ways to give our fans extras that went beyond just the music. Besides our making the best KISS album in decades, Walmart has made it possible for us to include a bonus CD with 15 of our most famous songs and an additional live DVD, shot during our recent concert in Buenos Aires. So in every sense, SONIC BOOM is the ultimate return to classic KISS form. You wanted the best, you got the best!"

Walmart, one of America's largest music retailers, is finalizing its exciting plans now for its in-store and online destinations for KISS fans surrounding the launch of the new album and tour, and will host various KISS products in addition to their music in its stores this fall. More details on Walmart KISS activity, announcements regarding album pre-sales, sweepstakes and KISS appearances will be shared shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:13 pm 

More (stupid phone wouldn't let me add it to the previous post):

SONIC BOOM CD Track Listing:

1. MODERN DAY DELILAH
2. RUSSIAN ROULETTE
3. NEVER ENOUGH
4. YES I KNOW (NOBODY'S PERFECT)
5. STAND
6. HOT AND COLD
7. ALL FOR THE GLORY
8. DANGER US
9. I'M AN ANIMAL
10. WHEN LIGHTNING STRIKES
11. SAY YEAH

Produced by PAUL STANLEY
Co-produced by Greg Collins

The US & Canadian release of SONIC BOOM is a three-disc set that also features KISS KLASSICS, a 15-track completely re-recorded greatest hits CD, as well as a live DVD shot in Buenos Aires, Argentina during the band's 2009 South American tour. The discs are packaged in a DigiPak along with a 20-page booklet.

SONIC BOOM will be available exclusively at Walmart, Walmart.com and Sam's Club retail locations beginning October 6.

KISS KLASSICS CD Track Listing:

1. DEUCE 2. DETROIT ROCK CITY 3. SHOUT IT OUT LOUD 4. HOTTER THAN HELL 5. CALLING DR. LOVE 6. LOVE GUN 7. I WAS MADE FOR LOVIN' YOU 8. HEAVEN'S ON FIRE 9. LICK IT UP 10. I LOVE IT LOUD 11. FOREVER 12. CHRISTINE SIXTEEN 13. DO YOU LOVE ME 14. BLACK DIAMOND 15. ROCK AND ROLL ALL NITE

KISS Bonus Live DVD Track Listing:

1. DEUCE 2. HOTTER THAN HELL 3. C'MON AND LOVE ME 4. WATCHIN' YOU 5. 100,000 YEARS 6. ROCK & ROLL ALL NITE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:08 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

heres the new cover for sonic boom:

http://newsroom.mtv.com/wp-content/uplo ... om_515.jpg

-27 years later you're still my guitar hero

RIP RR
1956-1982

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:42 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

im loving the cover.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:41 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

It was like seeing god or something.

thats what i said about randy rhoads when i seen him at the sports arena in los angeles
i seen kiss twice in 1977 once at the forum-"which is alive two" and again i seen them
at magic mtn-phantom show---and i came out of diary of a madman show
believing i seen the best performance i could have ever seen,and to this day i believe it to be true!

kiss this :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:10 am 

The first single off Ace Frehley's upcoming solo album is now available on iTunes. It's not doing much for me, unfortunately. :? Hope the rest of the CD is better....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:39 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I think the new Kiss single ROCKS!

Cool guitar solo too.. they`re at a high level right now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:24 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

All the years that Kiss has been around I still have not been to see them yet.But they're coming to the east coast and I think iits time to finally go see them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:04 pm 

Here are the KISS North American tour dates released this week:

Day Date Venue City
Friday 09/25/2009 Cobo Arena Detroit, MI
Saturday 09/26/2009 Cobo Arena Detroit, MI
Monday 09/28/2009 Quicken Loans Arena Cleveland, OH
Tuesday 09/29/2009 John Labatt Centre London, Ontario
Thursday 10/01/2009 Bell Centre Montreal, Quebec
Friday 10/02/2009 Air Canada Centre Toronto, Ontario
Saturday 10/03/2009 Mohegan Sun Arena Uncasville, CT
Monday 10/05/2009 TD Garden Boston, MA
Wednesday 10/07/2009 GM Centre Oshawa, Ontario
Friday 10/09/2009 Nassau Coliseum Uniondale, NY
Saturday 10/10/2009 Madison Square Garden New York, NY
Monday 10/12/2009 Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA
Tuesday 10/13/2009 Verizon Center Washington, DC
Friday 10/16/2009 Hampton Coliseum Hampton, VA
Saturday 10/17/2009 Bi-Lo Center Greenville, SC
Monday 10/19/2009 Civic Center Pensacola, FL
Wednesday 10/21/2009 St Pete Times Forum Tampa, FL
Thursday 10/22/2009 Bank Atlantic Center Sunrise, FL
Saturday 10/24/2009 BJCC Birmingham, AL
Monday 10/26/2009 Phillips Arena Atlanta, GA
Wednesday 10/28/2009 Sommet Center Nashville, TN
Thursday 10/29/2009 Verizon Arena Little Rock, AR
Friday 10/31/2009 Voodoo Experience New Orleans, LA
Friday 11/06/2009 United Center Chicago, IL
Saturday 11/07/2009 Target Center Minneapolis, MN
Monday 11/09/2009 MTS Center Winnipeg, MB
Tuesday 11/10/2009 Credit Union Centre Saskatoon, SK
Thursday 11/12/2009 Pengrowth Saddledome Calgary, AB
Saturday 11/14/2009 GM Place Vancouver, BC
Sunday 11/15/2009 Key Arena Seattle, WA
Tuesday 11/17/2009 Rose Garden Portland, OR
Thursday 11/19/2009 Arco Arena Sacramento, CA
Saturday 11/21/2009 Oakland Arena Oakland, CA
Tuesday 11/24/2009 Honda Center Anaheim, CA
Wednesday 11/25/2009 Staples Center Los Angeles, CA
Friday 11/27/2009 Sports Arena San Diego, CA
Saturday 11/28/2009 TBD Las Vegas, NV
Tuesday 12/01/2009 JOBING.COM Arena Glendale, AZ
Wednesday 12/02/2009 Utep El Paso, TX
Friday 12/04/2009 Frank Erwin Center Austin, TX
Saturday 12/05/2009 Toyota Center Houston, TX
Sunday 12/06/2009 American Airlines Center Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:52 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I have my tickets for the gig at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on October 2nd. The show was sold out on the first day!! Can't wait!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:49 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Kiss may finally be getting into the RnR Hall of Fame.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8272458.stm
Still wonder how the other acts are making it before Rush is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:36 am 

Cool news, Bark. Maybe they'll finally make it. And I agree -- put RUSH in the Hall of Fame!!! *r*

In other KISS-related news, I picked up the new Ace Frehley solo CD this week -- anyone else get it yet? *? I really bought it out of prior respect for ACE because I didn't think much of the first single but I must say, I am VERY pleased with the CD overall. :D I don't get why he has two songs that both have similar titles dealing with "foxes," but overall it's surprisingly good. It has quite a few good tunes and another good instrumental to end the CD, this time called, "Fractured Quantum."

Also, in a nice touch to a former bandmate and to a true Ace fan, he dedicated the CD to Eric Carr and Dimebag. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:48 pm 

I stopped in my local Walmart on my way to work to pick up something and stopped dead in my tracks as I went by Electronics - someone screwed up and put the new KISS CD out on the shelves one week early!!! *r*

I'll give a full report after listening to the whole thing. I can say the packaging is top notch - quadruple-fold digipak with portraits of each band member and a thick booklet full of pictures and all lyrics. CD, bonus CD of 15 re-recorded greatest hits and bonus DVD of live performances in Buenos Aires last year. 8)

All for $12. *yay*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:19 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Wow thats a great price for all that!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:37 am 

OK, so I've given the new disc a few listens now and I can say that it is a worthwhile purchase. 8) I've slagged off on the band in recent years for carrying on with imposters in Ace and Pete's makeup, but there are some good tunes on the new CD, and Tommy and Eric both make significant contributions to this release.

Gene and Paul have made numerous references to it being the best thing they've done in 30 years ... I don't think I'd go that far, but I will say that it is overall a pretty strong effort, and a few songs do have the potential to be KISS Klassics.

One preview of the CD referred to it as having "70s style solos," and that is absolutely true. *r* Frankly, after so many years of copying Ace, I would hope Tommy Thayer could play well in Ace's style by now. :lol: But to be fair, the solos really are good and really do fit with the old Ace style of soloing.

As has been the case since -- well, since the early 80s, frankly (with the exception of "Unholy" in the 90s), all of Paul's songs are stronger than Gene's on this CD. The new single, "Modern Day Delilah," and "Danger Us" are both the kinds of songs you can hear them performing live and doing well with them. The best Gene songs on the CD, in my opinion, are called "Russian Roulette" and "I'm An Animal."

Both Tommy and Eric have songs on here where they handle the lead vocals, and both are good -- better, to be honest, than a couple of the weaker Gene tunes. Tommy sings a song called "When the Lightning Strikes" and it is uncanny how his voice has hints of Paul, Gene and Ace's vocal stylings in there. Eric sings "All For the Glory," and it's also a good one. There is also one track, "Stand," that has Paul and Gene trading off lead vocal duties, something they have done on only a couple tunes since the 70s. Sadly, I think it's one of the weaker tracks, but it's still nice to hear them trade off vocals in a song. :wink:

While Paul and Gene have said the CD is like a mix of "Love Gun" and "Rock and Roll Over," I hear other influences. Almost every one of the songs jumped out to me as songs that would have fit right in on other KISS CDs from throughout their career. Granted, these are my opinions based on my 30+ years of listening to the band, but this was the era each song reminded me of:

"Modern Day Delilah" -- Revenge
"Russian Roulette" -- Lick It Up
"Danger Us" -- Creatures of the Night
"Never Enough" -- Dynasty
"I'm An Animal" -- Destroyer
"Stand" -- Crazy Nights (also reminds me a bit of "God Gave Rock N' Roll To You")
"Hot and Cold" -- Love Gun
"All For the Glory" -- Asylum
"When Lightning Strikes" -- Unmasked
"Say Yeah" -- Smashes, Thrashes & Hits

Finally, the one other Gene tune, "Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect)," is a bit reminiscent of "Ladies Room."

I had heard the re-recorded greatest hits bonus CD previously -- it was released in Japan last year as a CD called "KISS Jigoku-Retsuden" and I obtained a copy of that back then. This bonus CD in this package is that same CD released only in Japan last year. Interesting to listen to once, but these newly-recorded versions will never replace the classic versions. :wink:

So, is it as good as their 70s era stuff? Of course not, but then again, none of us really expected that, did we?

Is it a worthwhile purchase for a KISS fan? Hell, yes. :twisted:

Pretty much every CD they ever released still gets the occasional spin in my CD player -- some more than others, of course, with the only ones never making it into rotation being "Carnival of Souls" and Gene and Peter's '78 solo CDs. This one will get its fair share in the rotation with the others. :mrgreen:

I'll be interested to hear other people's opinions when it's released next week. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:27 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Ill prolly go and download it this weekend and check it out.

Quote:
One preview of the CD referred to it as having "70s style solos," and that is absolutely true. *r* Frankly, after so many years of copying Ace, I would hope Tommy Thayer could play well in Ace's style by now. :lol: But to be fair, the solos really are good and really do fit with the old Ace style of soloing.

This is what I have heard from other people I know that have got a leaked copy of this album. Is it Gene and Paul trying to make thayer even more like Ace or am I wrong? I mean I know they guy has made a career out of being a rip of of Ace, but atleast try and let the guy do his own thing rather than try to sound and act like Ace..if that makes any sense.

Speaking of Ace, I need to check out his new album. Cant wait for him to tour when he does. I missed out last year when he toured.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:02 am 

It doesn't sound forced, Derek. I'm sure whether by accident or design it's natural for him to sound somewhat like Ace at this point, but it's good. And his playing style does sound different than the leads from his Black N' Blue days.

The Ace solo CD is also worthwhile. I was afraid that either the Ace or KISS CD would suck, but both are worth the cash.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:11 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
It doesn't sound forced, Derek. I'm sure whether by accident or design it's natural for him to sound somewhat like Ace at this point, but it's good. And his playing style does sound different than the leads from his Black N' Blue days.

The Ace solo CD is also worthwhile. I was afraid that either the Ace or KISS CD would suck, but both are worth the cash.

Gotcha. They played a few clips during a few college football games throughout the day (ABC I think). What I heard didnt sound like 70's kiss, but ill give it a chance when I get my hands on the CD. As for the Ace cd..im surprised he came through with releasing it since hes said for years that it was going to be released in the spring :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:02 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I'm really dig'n the new Ace CD. 8)

http://www.myspace.com/fretfun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:23 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Okay everyone,

I saw KISS on Friday night (Oct. 2nd) at the Air Canada Centre here in Toronto. It was the most amazing show I have ever seen. Tommy Thayer is an amazing guitar player!!!! They played for 2 1/2 hours and it was full of energy! Gene Simmons played " I love it loud" from the top of the lighting rig!! and Paul Stanley came out to a rotating platform where the mixing board was to play to the fans at the back of the arena. I hope that any new concert dates in the new year include Toronto again or at least Buffalo, NY so I can see them again....The KISS ARMY has a new recruit!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:40 pm 

Did they play any of the new songs?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:48 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

They played Modern Day Delilah...great song!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:07 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

After seeing KISS last friday night at the ACC in Toronto, I thought it was the greatest live concer ever. The city of Oshawa, Ontario (half an hour east of Toronto) won a online contest to have KISS play in their town! Well, after setting up the stage yesterday, they put more tickets on sale and I was lucky enought to get 2 stageside seats for tonight!! Rocking with KISS twice in one week!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:06 pm 

Have fun, zebra. *r* We'll want a full report. I hope they start adding in more of the new songs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:33 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

The New Ace cd is awesome. A few songs thast are marginal and some that are just awesome.

The new KISS album...ehhh....The song "Never enough" reminds me of "Nothing but a good time" by Poison.....listen to the verses. ...just the verses and substitute the lyrics for the poison song...kinda creepy..

The KISS album has a strong song with "Modern day Delilah" however the rest of the album reminds me of a band your high school principal would have come in for an assembly and sing songs of the great life and rah rah high spirited life if you act positive.

Its like an after school special if that makes sense.

I think Ace won this round musically. Kiss always wins financially.

P.S. Paul's voice sounds awful bad on the howls in Modern Day Delilah. I'm surprised he left that scratchy scream on there actually.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:42 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Hi Everyone!! The KISS concert in Oshawa, or "The SHWA" as they call themselves was amazing!! I was 4 rows from the side of the stage on Gene's side. I twas the same set list as they played in Toronto, but in a much more intimate setting. The General Motors Centre in Oshawa is home to the Oshawa Generals who play in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). This is Major Jr. A hockey where the NHL drafts from so the venue is much smaller than the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. In Toronto there were about 18000 people as where there were maybe 6500 in Oshawa. You could tell this was special to the band because Oshawa won an online contest to have KISS come to their city.

Being so close to the stage was wild!! you get to see so much more than being at the other end of the venue. I was so close that Tommy Thayer tossed his guitar pick to me after "Got to Choose". Paul Stanley told the crowd that KISS loves the big cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, but it's places like "The Shwa" that make it all happen. The crowd went NUTS!!!

If you get a chance to see them live on the ALIVE 35 tour you can buy a copy of the concert that night! Here in Canada it was $35 for the double CD and the sound quality is amazing! They put on such a great live show I would see them again!!

Tickets for both shows (Toronto & Oshawa) were $75 + tax and fees coming to $90/ticket.

Have a great Canadian Thanksgiving everyone! I have over 200 pic's on facebook of both shows. look me up and add me if you want to see them!

Cheers,

Ted Voinou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:41 am 

Thanks for the report, Ted. Sounds like it was a blast!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:48 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Got my tickets today for the KISS show here in Toronto for Sept. 10th, 2010! I'm 15 rows from the stage!!!! thank you KISS Army!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28