It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kiss
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:21 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanx for those pics. I love the classic KISS pics.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:19 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I must say, Gene and Paul have sunk to a new low. It was confirmed that Tommy Thayer sang 'Shock Me' in Austrailia. I think thats a slap in the face to Ace. I know that Tommy had Ace's blessing to wear the makeup but singing his song is low.

Ace solo right now is better than scab kiss @ the moment

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:01 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

but does ace wanna be in kiss anymore???...i have never heard anything about his dismissal?? and now whats up wih pauls health?? is he ok??

i could understand him singing shock me if its in the set with a guitar solo and the smoking pick up and all that. i dont mean to question you cuz you are a kiss fan in the know especially with the boots and vids so if you could maybe fill me in on some holes in the story

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:25 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

kevinkyle46542 wrote:
but does ace wanna be in kiss anymore???...i have never heard anything about his dismissal?? and now whats up wih pauls health?? is he ok??

i could understand him singing shock me if its in the set with a guitar solo and the smoking pick up and all that. i dont mean to question you cuz you are a kiss fan in the know especially with the boots and vids so if you could maybe fill me in on some holes in the story

Im not sure if Ace wasnts to be part of kiss anymore (though he is on solo tour right now). He made a few comments about them being more or less a tribute band. That and Gene has taken alot of shots at him over the years. Ace hasnt been with kiss since 2003 I believe (Rick correct me if im wrong!). Paul had hip replacement surgery a year or two ago..but hes just getting old...Gene, well Gene's just fat :lol:

As for Thayer singing 'Shock Me', there was a guitar solo I believe at the end of the song like as did/does, but I dont know about the smoking guitar. If in fact that is was in the act to, thats going a little far because that was Ace's thing to do. I just dont think its the right thing to do, especially from Gene and Pauls POV. It shows alot of disrespect to Ace, much like when they made Eric Carr sing 'Beth' on Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:37 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

thanks and you are right it does look and feel like a tribute band... kinda sad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:31 am 

:wink: Derek's got his facts mostly right ... actually, Ace hasn't played with them since the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Utah on 2/24/02. Some of the boots from his last shows in Australia in 2001 are pretty fun, though, because Ace would come out for the encore and jump into various rare songs and Ace songs like "Sppeding Back to My Baby" and others. Paul and Gene try to keep up, but they look and sound woefully unprepared. At one point in the encore of one of the Melbourne shows, Gene goes over to the microphone and says, "And what would the Ace Frehley Band like to play next?" *yay*

Derek is correct that Gene and Ace have taken some shots at each other since then ... mostly Gene taking shots at Ace, but Ace did recently take a jab at how 1/2 of KISS now is just a tribute band. :shock: :lol: When KISS was in the VH1 Rock Honors, Ace played in the tribute band with Scott Ian, Rob Zombie and others.... :?

As for Paul, he had the hip replacement issues, then he had a heart problem back last summer but he's got a clean bill of health now as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:43 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Didnt know that about Ace coming out and playin rare stuff. I have always though that Ace was more of an accomplished musician than Gene and Paul.

To me, it seems like Ace has got his sh*t together now and Gene and Paul seem stuck in 1996 still but not with Ace and Peter. Honestly, the original 4 should get back together, makeup or no makeup and play Madison Square Garden for a week straight and call it quits. End it where it all started, you know? I think that Gene and Paul see KISS going on without them which (I believe Paul has acknoledged this in the past) which it shouldnt. Its just good to see Ace move and have fun touring.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:13 am 

ibanez122 wrote:
Didnt know that about Ace coming out and playin rare stuff. I have always though that Ace was more of an accomplished musician than Gene and Paul.

To me, it seems like Ace has got his sh*t together now and Gene and Paul seem stuck in 1996 still but not with Ace and Peter. Honestly, the original 4 should get back together, makeup or no makeup and play Madison Square Garden for a week straight and call it quits. End it where it all started, you know? I think that Gene and Paul see KISS going on without them which (I believe Paul has acknoledged this in the past) which it shouldnt. Its just good to see Ace move and have fun touring.

It is great to see Ace sober again and having fun. *r* I hope he can stay on the wagon this time. :D

I've said many times that I took KISS at their word when they said they were doing a Farewell Tour in 200-2001 and they ceased being a functioning entity in my mind at the end of the Farewell Tour. What they've done since then with the various substitutes in makeup has been a farce.... :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:15 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
ibanez122 wrote:

It is great to see Ace sober again and having fun. *r* I hope he can stay on the wagon this time. :D

I've said many times that I took KISS at their word when they said they were doing a Farewell Tour in 200-2001 and they ceased being a functioning entity in my mind at the end of the Farewell Tour. What they've done since then with the various substitutes in makeup has been a farce.... :?

I concur 100% Rick. Ace's bandmates are backing him up with the sobriety thing as well. No one on the tour is allowed to drink alcohol at all. Just really glad that the person I grew up idolizing got his stuff together! ROCK ON ACE! *r*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:36 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Some nice insight on what Ace thinks about kiss now:

On KISS 2008: KISS was Paul, Gene, Peter and Ace. That was KISS. If they wanna call it KISS, makeup somebody else wearing the same makeup, I designed that Spaceman cat, I wrote all those guitar solos, they're dear to my heart and now you've got somebody else wearing the makeup I designed and playing my guitar solos and trying to come off like me. I think it's bullsh*t (laughs).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:55 am 

Here's that funny quote about Tommy Thayer I was talking about from an interview Ace did on February 15, 2008:

"Tommy's a sweet guy; he used to be my road manager. Tommy used to be in a KISS tribute band — and he still is!

"Tommy is a friend; if someone is going to wear my costume and makeup, I guess I'd prefer that it be him. That's not to say that I agree with it, because I don't. But it is what it is."

:shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:56 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I agree with Ace but he forgot one person. Eric Carr the first line up was the most important but I consider Eric Carr almost original also.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:14 am 

Geo Sav wrote:
I agree with Ace but he forgot one person. Eric Carr the first line up was the most important but I consider Eric Carr almost original also.

:wink: A fair point, Geo. Eric Carr actually was in the band longer than Peter until the 2nd makeup era began in '96, then Peter surpassed Eric again....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:54 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
Geo Sav wrote:

:wink: A fair point, Geo. Eric Carr actually was in the band longer than Peter until the 2nd makeup era began in '96, then Peter surpassed Eric again....

True. THough I think that EC was too good of a musician for Kiss in the 80's. Throw in Bruce Kulick in that too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:58 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I'm going to see them in a few hours :D Then Ozzy and Alice Cooper the next night :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:19 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Actually, it was Lordi, Alice Cooper and Kiss tonight. Poison, Whitesnake and Ozzy tomorrow night. I felt Kiss was a bit of a letdown. Lordi were pretty good and Alice Cooper was on form. Easily the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:53 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Harry wrote:
Actually, it was Lordi, Alice Cooper and Kiss tonight. Poison, Whitesnake and Ozzy tomorrow night. I felt Kiss was a bit of a letdown. Lordi were pretty good and Alice Cooper was on form. Easily the best.

Hay Harry what did you think over all?

Will post a link to some footage that a friend took when he puts it up yeha, he has about a hours worth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:30 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I was at last night's Ace Frehley show at the House of Blues in Hollywood. I gotta say he ripped it up and was clearly enjoying himself! Good to see him in such good form. The rest of the Band was really good as well. Over all, a really tight band. Here is a pix taken with my cell phone (not the greatest quality).

http://www.myspace.com/fretfun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:03 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

cparra wrote:
I was at last night's Ace Frehley show at the House of Blues in Hollywood. I gotta say he ripped it up and was clearly enjoying himself! Good to see him in such good form. The rest of the Band was really good as well. Over all, a really tight band. Here is a pix taken with my cell phone (not the greatest quality).

Nice. Have heard alot of good things about the tour so far. Im tryin my best to make it to the Kansas City show @ the end of the month

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:17 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Definately try to make it if you can. You won't be disapointed!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:12 am 

Very nice, cparra. Thanks for posting the pic!! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:26 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Glad you liked it rickhawk! I have a couple more, but the quality is pretty bad. :(
Check him out if you get the chance!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:18 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

(Side-note)

Moderators, to the best of your knowledge, is this the largest thread in the history of this forum, having 711 (now 712) replies and 127,000+ views?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:01 am 

The Pecker wrote:
(Side-note)

Moderators, to the best of your knowledge, is this the largest thread in the history of this forum, having 711 (now 712) replies and 127,000+ views?

Interesting question, Pecker. :-k I'm no Mod, and maybe they have a way to check this, but just from me checking around the various pages for long threads, I didn't come across another one this long. *yay*

EDIT: Actually, the "Pics of Us" thread in the "Off Topic" section is longer...

Last edited by rickhawk80 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:09 pm 

:shock: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

This is utter blasphemy in my book!!! +) Read on...

KISS Re-Recording Classic Material With Current Lineup
blabbermouth.net -- Apr. 13, 2008

Sakis Nikas of Rockpages.gr recently conducted an interview with KISS drummer Eric Singer. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

Rockpages.gr: Will you change the set-list for the upcoming tour in Europe?

Eric Singer: I am not sure, yet… but I think that we will do a special set-list for the European audiences, so as to express our gratitude for making this tour so succesful. You will like it… wait and see.

Rockpages.gr: I was talking with Paul [Stanley] a few days ago and he told me that he didn't expect the success of the European tour, at least at such extent. Did you see it coming?

Eric Singer: Well, I have to say that I agree with Paul 100%. Nobody expected that this tour would be bigger than the Reunion tour and especially for Paul and Gene [Simmons] was a big surprise but also a big satisfaction. Tickets are selling out fast everywhere… that's great!

Rockpages.gr: That means that there will come a time when KISS will be a band without any of the original members in the line-up. At least, Paul has said so….but do you think that this is possible?

Eric Singer: Let me tell you this: Never say never with KISS! I won't rule anything out.

Rockpages.gr: Do you see yourself in a few years in KISS and at the same time being the oldest of the line-up?

Eric Singer: I would like that…why not? But, despite what Paul says about KISS carrying on without him, the truth is that I haven't seen anyone that could replace Paul! I have seen many tribute bands and the problem was always the fact that nobody, and I mean nobody, could immitate Paul's voice or moves. There's only one Paul Stanley!

Rockpages.gr: I agree! Tell me something…you were there without make-up and now you are playing with the famous cat make-up. Do you see any differences in the band from all the years that have passed by?

Eric Singer: Well, I think that the band, now, knows exactly what it wants regarding the live shows and its career in general. In the early '90s we were thinking about things like which direction we should follow, what kind of an album we will release, the stage show etc. Now we offer exactly what the people want: A KISS show with full make-up, fireworks, explosions, platform boots and all the other stage acts that will entertain each and everyone! Each KISS fan has grown up in a different phase of KISS career… "Asylum", "Revenge", the 70s records etc. We try to please as many as we can…after all everybody loves the make-up show!

Rockpages.gr: Is there any truth to the rumor that KISS entered the studio recently to re-record some classic songs from the back catalogue?

Eric Singer: Where did you hear that?

Rockpages.gr: I have my sources…well, is it valid information?

Eric Singer: I will tell you, but tell me first who told you?

Rockpages.gr: Jimmy Haslip…he saw you in the studio a while ago and he was quite certain that Paul had told him that KISS re-recorded old tracks…

Eric Singer: OK! Yes, that's true! You know that many bands re-record songs so as to have the control over the copyrights. For example, if someone asks for a KISS tune, the band doesn'' have to get into a bureaucracy with the record label. It is very convenient…

Rockpages.gr: Tommy Thayer sang "Shock Me", causing some turmoil amongst the KISS Army. Would you sing "Beth" if Paul and Gene asked you to?

Eric Singer: Yeah, although I don't really think that Gene would ask me (to do) such thing as he doesn't like ballads at all. But, I wouldn't have any problem. It's not a sign of disrespect…I know that almost everybody has linked this song to Peter Criss. But at the same time, it is a good song and by singing it I only show respect to KISS and Peter.

+) +) +) +) +)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:49 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I was about to post something about this Rick. BEat me to it!

I think its really sad that it has come to this. A few quotes that stick out to me:

I have seen many tribute bands

Think that he forgot that he is in a tribute band

Nobody expected that this tour would be bigger than the Reunion tour

False. ITs only big in Europe this time around. No offense to anyone, but I dont think the Europeans really care about who is in kiss much like the die hard fans here in the US. The reunion tour was a worldwide success, not just on one continent. Gene and Paul completly alienated their hardcore fanbase since the "Farewell Tour". Most people that see Kiss now are fans that have got into them recently and probally dont know who Ace and Peter are. Peter said it best when he said it was pretty sad when he looked over and the road manager on the reunion tour (Thayer) is dressed as Ace, and the same person who ordered his speghetti too.

This is all just another nail in the coffin for the band. I dont even acknowledge the current line up...its that bad. They could called it quits and still had respect. Now they're a laughing stock.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:45 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

The band pretty much lost me after Dynasty (even though The Elder was such a strong album it was really the last croak). Even as a 10 year old I hated the idea of them as super heros - I just wanted the band that rocked so hard on Alive!

Gene says it has never been about credibility. I take him at his word. Despite the fact I think he is a fantastic musician and one of the best rock singers ever (his voice is pretty amazing - listen to "See You Tonight" from his '78 solo record) he could care less.

What I do like with this lineup is they pull some pretty obscure stuff from their catalog once in a while and I believe that is Tommy's influence as a longtime Kiss fan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:52 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

The guy above me has no clue what he's talking about...

Anyway, here is Eric Carr and the band down under in 1980. Eric was not my favorite drummer for sure (great drummer, totally wrong for the band though). He certainly shines here on Cold Gin. Look to the middle section riff (2:40) - he lays a fierce double bass pattern and incorporates some toms to make a pretty tasty beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWztRZSBiko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:22 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

danno wrote:
The guy above me has no clue what he's talking about...

Anyway, here is Eric Carr and the band down under in 1980. Eric was not my favorite drummer for sure (great drummer, totally wrong for the band though). He certainly shines here on Cold Gin. Look to the middle section riff (2:40) - he lays a fierce double bass pattern and incorporates some toms to make a pretty tasty beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWztRZSBiko

Thanks for that vid Dan. I love that line up. Whenhe joined the band fior the start of that tour, the band was alot more energized (if thats a good work). Paul sounded great and the band as a whole didnt look lazy like they did on the Dynasty tour.

I agree w/ about Eric though. Love Carr Jam 1981 on Revenge. Great drum solo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:23 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Wow, I'm a little late joining this thread. My first show was in 78, for the Love Gun/Alive 2 tour. That was amazing to see live. I remember certain things so vividly, other things are a bit of a blur. I remember them going to the side of the stage often to adjust the make up and they were LOUD. Back in the 70's, concerts were extremely loud. They don't allow that anymore. Ace was so loud that my organs were vibrating. I could feel the guitar in my chest and I thought something was going to happen to me. :lol: That's really how loud it was.

Just saw two Ace shows with my wife. May 17th, at the Orlando House of Blues. He played a long set and it was great. They wouldn't allow his smoking guitar effect. The second show was May 18th, at Jannus Landings, in St. Petersburg, FL. It was an outside venue, so the set had to be shorter. This time his guitar was not only smoking, but caught fire! I'm talking big flames coming out of it. It wasn't supposed to happen, but it looked great! :lol: He played many great classics, including Rip It Out, Snowblind and Rocket Ride. Great set. He didn't like the Florida heat. His comment was, "I know a place hotter than hell ...it's fn' here!" Everyone started laughing. We can't stand the heat, that's why we're hoping to move up to NC.

I like everything classic Kiss before Dynasty. Dynasty has some great cuts, but it's not as raw as the earlier stuff. Ace also played Hard Times from Dynasty. That's a great tune.

To me personally, I think it's an insult to have Tommy and Eric wearing Ace and Peter's original make up. Come on, these are human beings that were in a legendary band, it's not a Godzilla film where anyone can wear the costume. *?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next