It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:45 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

barkatozzz wrote:
Patrick McDaniel wrote:
I've heard nothing but good reviews about the cobo hall show. I'll have to look into getting ahold of it somehow.

I have both nights on DVD. :shock:

Same here....theres a night 3 at Cobo butr I dont think it has surfaced - they show it on one of the kiss home vids (but it doesnt say whuch date - but obvoious its not 25 or 26th).

Quote:
I may be the only one (ducks for cover lol) but did anyone else like vinnie vincent when he was in the band. Now, we can agree hes no Ace but I thought he was at first at least, a suitable replacement. Then when they got bruce I was happy because bruce is pretty good as well. If they can only live down Ugh! all night (I like that song but I find most others dont)

VV was pretty good. He was a good song write as well. I think his playing style was good for the Creatures Of The Night Cd. I dont think Ace's style would have fit it due to the heavyness (is that a word? lol) of the songs - but in mot taking anytbing away form ace though.

Uh! All night - man that videos pretty funny. Its not a bad song...We work all day, and we dont know why......you gotta UH!! ALL NIGHT! (sorry!) Some of the 80's kiss stuff was too cheesy. I love Lick It Up and Crazy Nights. Both were quality cds unlike Animalized, Asylum, and Hot In The Shade (although they do have a few songs)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:08 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Isn't Vinnie Vincent bankrupt now for trying to press lawsuits against Kiss?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:15 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

-62SG- wrote:
Isn't Vinnie Vincent bankrupt now for trying to press lawsuits against Kiss?

Not sure...ive heard hes a he/she now but who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:00 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
I may be the only one (ducks for cover lol) but did anyone else like vinnie vincent when he was in the band. Now, we can agree hes no Ace but I thought he was at first at least, a suitable replacement. Then when they got bruce I was happy because bruce is pretty good as well. If they can only live down Ugh! all night :lol: (I like that song but I find most others dont)

When Vinnie joined KISS officially for Lick It Up, I thought KISS became more 'modern' in their sound. 'Lick It Up' reminds me a bit of 'Creatures of the Night' but way more heavier. 'Gimmie More', 'Not For The Innocent' and 'Young and Wasted' are pretty heavy songs for KISS and the time (1983). I liked Vinnie but I knew he wouldnt last long.

'Vinnie Vincent's Invasion' was a great record but the glam look killed it for me though!!! He looked...uhm...silly :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:11 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Rhoads2005 wrote:
Patrick McDaniel wrote:
I may be the only one (ducks for cover lol) but did anyone else like vinnie vincent when he was in the band. Now, we can agree hes no Ace but I thought he was at first at least, a suitable replacement. Then when they got bruce I was happy because bruce is pretty good as well. If they can only live down Ugh! all night :lol: (I like that song but I find most others dont)

When Vinnie joined KISS officially for Lick It Up, I thought KISS became more 'modern' in their sound. 'Lick It Up' reminds me a bit of 'Creatures of the Night' but way more heavier. 'Gimmie More', 'Not For The Innocent' and 'Young and Wasted' are pretty heavy songs for KISS and the time (1983). I liked Vinnie but I knew he wouldnt last long.

'Vinnie Vincent's Invasion' was a great record but the glam look killed it for me though!!! He looked...uhm...silly :roll:

He was also involved w/ the Revenge album. I read something that he tried to take credit for the the cd (sound wise etc..) or something to that effect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:01 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I just remembered (sp) that I have the kiss exposed video. Its not bad. It has some vintage performances plus some newer stuff (at the time) like the ugh! all night music video. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:07 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
I just remembered (sp) that I have the kiss exposed video. Its not bad. It has some vintage performances plus some newer stuff (at the time) like the ugh! all night music video. :lol:

Isnt that the one that cheesy interviewer comes to the house? if so I have that too. Its got good vintage stuff on it - Houston 77 (not sure which night) Australia 80 etc..killer footage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:16 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I have all 3 of the VHSs that came out around 94/95. They're pretty good. Kiss My Ass, then two other ones. The one has the Alive! III video.

Vinnie did come back, but why did he leave?

He was also fired after Creatures Of The Night and hired back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:31 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Regarding Vinnie, I thought his work was great on the "Creatures" and "Lick It Up" albums. Vinnie didn't play on the whole "Creatures" album though. Bob Kulick (Bruce's older brother) and Steve Farris played on it as well. Vinnie may have only recorded the 3 songs he co-wrote on it ("I Love It Loud", "I Still Love You" and "Killers"), but I've not seen a full breakdown on who played what. Vinnie also co-wrote "Unholy" from the "Revenge" album. He wrote the Jon Waite hit "Tears" that Peter Criss also recorded on his second solo album. And here's a scary one, right before joining Kiss, Vinnie used to write music for the "Happy Days" TV show. :shock: :lol: Yeah, those Joanie and Chachi tunes can be blamed on ol' Vin. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:20 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Ace also played on that album.

That's why he was on the cover art. In 1985, they wanted to put Vinnie on it, but he was noone to be found, so they used Bruce. I like that version more where they're unmasked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:28 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

-62SG- wrote:
Ace also played on that album.

That's why he was on the cover art. In 1985, they wanted to put Vinnie on it, but he was noone to be found, so they used Bruce. I like that version more where they're unmasked.

According to the inner sleeve of the second CD re-issue of "Creatures", Ace did NOT play on the album, as he was in the process of leaving the band, so they got studio guys to do the work, in hopes that Ace would change his mind about the band (he didn't). I also have an interview with Ace asking him about that album and he said he didn't remember playing anything on it. He was used on the cover art only because they had hoped he would come back. They had used other guitarists in Ace's place before on record, most notably on side 4 of "Alive II" where they used Bob Kulick instead of Ace on 4 of the 5 studio recordings. I hated the first re-issue of "Creatures" with the unmasked guys with Bruce Kulick on the cover, as it was very misreprentive of the band. Even though Ace was pictured on the original album and Vinnie and others did the playing, showing Bruce on "Creatures" was dumb, as he had nothing to do with it at all either. Why would they have been looking for Vinnie in 1985 to take a picture for an album that came out in 1982 and wouldn't be issued on CD with a Bruce picture till years later? :? The later CD cover only had that Bruce pic, not the album. Strange that they did that. Probably just to promote the current (then) version of the band.

Same thing happened with Peter Criss. He was pictured on the 1980 "Unmasked" LP, but he didn't play or have anything to do with it. Anton Fig (later one of Ace's drummers in his solo stuff) did the whole "Unmasked" LP and 90% of the drums on the previous Lp, "Dynasty".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:41 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Here's some interesting facts about Vinnie. :lol:

Quote:
Legal Troubles

Vinnie Vincent sued KISS twice after being fired for the second time in 1984. The first lawsuit (for $6 million) was filed around 1986, over royalties that Vincent believed he was owed for performance and songwriting. That suit was found in favor of KISS, as Vincent was determined to be a salaried employee of the band.

In 1987, Vincent was quoted in "Rock Scene" magazine as saying that KISS would not allow him to use their name either to promote his solo career or to even mention the band in interviews. Throughout this interview, Vincent persistently and bitterly referred to KISS as either "The White Face Band" or simply "The Blank Band".

In 1988, Vincent's $8 million contract with Chrysalis Records (for 4 albums) was taken away from him because he overextended his credit line with the label. The contract was transferred to Invasion members Dana Strum and Mark Slaughter, who then formed the band Slaughter.

Vincent's second suit against KISS in 1992 (again for $6 million) was for songwriting royalties and other claims. That suit was dismissed because the amount Vincent requested was excessive, and once again, he was found to have been a salaried employee of the band. The band has had no contact with Vincent since the lawsuit.

Vinnie Vincent is now bankrupt and looking for new musicians and a new label.

Quote:
Trivia

* Vincent was a staff songwriter for the television series Happy Days.

* Lick It Up is the only instance of Vincent appearing on a KISS album by image, and is the only album where he is given lead-guitar credit. It is interesting to note that on the Japanese version of that album's cover, KISS appears in makeup and costume; Paul, Gene, and Eric appear (strangely) in their Elder/Killers outfits from 1981-'82, while Vinnie is in his Creatures of the Night outfit. (This album was, of course, the band's first release without makeup).

* Aside from songwriting credits under his given name, Vincent's involvement with recording for Creatures of the Night was kept a secret from the general public for many years, with Ace Frehley appearing on the cover of the original album. When the album was re-mixed and re-released in 1985 with a different cover (to reflect the band's roster change and abandonment of their makeup and costuming), Vincent was again nowhere to be seen, as then-current lead guitarist Bruce Kulick appeared on the cover.

* Starting in 1982, Vinnie was briefly the spokesman for Charvel/Jackson Guitars, following the death of Randy Rhoads; a few pictures show Vinnie playing a version of Rhoads's white Jackson guitar. He later switched to a more personalized pink "double shark fin" guitar design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:00 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Since Kiss kind of took over the Ozzy should retire thread...we'll being it over here now.

ITs obvious Ironface, -62SG-, and I have spoken about kiss and which albums are fav...so lets get on that subject. So if you are a Kiss fan what are your favs....heres a review of most of the kiss cds (my favs atleast)
Kiss (self titiled) -

Some songs should have remained off of this one (Love Theme from Kiss and Kissin Time - what were they thinkin). The classics which paved the way from em are on here though. Fav songs - Strutter, Deuce, 100,00 years, and Black Diamond.

Hotter Than Hell - The sound quailty suffers on this one - well to sum it up, it sounds like it was recorded out of a garage. This has some other live staples and some lesser known ones. There is not one bad song on this cd - as most other kiss cds have bad ones! Favs - Let Me Go Rock And Roll, All The Way (killer riff), Hotter Than Hell, Parasite (one of Ace;s best written songs)

Dressed to Kill - Ok, im roundin off the first 3 - they're all important albums for them - a step into the big time. THis cd is the best of the pre Alive! cd's IMO. Starts out rockin and ends rockin. Along with DTK, theres not a song that dissapoints. Favs - Room Service, She, Love Her All I Can, Rock Bottom (great into) - and let us not forget Rock And Roll All Night (i could do w/out it though)

Alive! - Wow, what can you say about it. Even though its for the most part live (only Ace and Peters tracks were left the same) its a definiative love cd (one of the best ever!). Theres so much energy between the band and it shows. As ive said a few times on here, this is the best era of kiss - before all the money came in and the fans mattered. This will always have a place in my music collection - it was the first kiss LP I ever heard (3 yrs old) Favs - Deuce (perfect opening song), Black Diamond (Ace tears it up), 100,000 Years (gotta love Pauls rant), and C'Mon And Love Me.

Destroyer - Bob Ezrin does a brilliant job producing this one. Probally one bad track (or 2) - Beth and Shout It Out Loud (heard too many times). There is alot of good song writting on this one. Downside is that Ace is featured on all the tracks (Sweet Pain - dick Wagner did the duties). Between 76-78 this is the most rockin on the era. Favs - Detroit Rock City (I still think its Gene in the beginning!), Flaming Youth, Do You Love Me, Great Expectations

Rock And Roll Over - Another quality one here. Some good and some bad on this one. The lackin tracks - See You In Your Dreams, Hard Luck Woman, and Mr. Speed are below average compared to what they have written. The others though are oure 70's rock and fit the sex, drugs, and rock n roll era. Favs - Take Me, Love Em Leave Em, Ladies Room.

Love Gun - Heres where the downfall of Kiss in to 70's begins. Even though the LP sold 3 or 4 million copies - its fairly below average. Then She Kissed Me, Got Love For Sale, and Tomorrow And Tonight arevery poor IMO. Ace makes his debut on this one w/ Shock Me - and is the best track on the CD. Sidenite - ironically Christine Sixteen was released the same time my mom was 16 (and her name is Christine - crazyyyy). Favs - Shock Me, I Stole Your Love, Hooligan, Almost Human.

Aces Solo - Skippin Alive II cus its utter crap. This is the best of the 4 and it shows. He stayed true to his rock and roll roots on this, as the others strayed away. As some of the older kiss stuff, theres not a bad track on here. Rock and roll straight through. Favs - Wipe Out (hilarious lyrics), Speedin Back To My Baby, Whats On Your Mind, Snow Blind.

Heres the first batch - ill do the next half later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:15 am 
BANNED

kiss..havent heard anything asides from snippets of the song rock n roll all night (and party everyday) in cartoons and such. do they really have any good songs :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:19 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

lava wrote:
kiss..havent heard anything asides from snippets of the song rock n roll all night (and party everyday) in cartoons and such. do they really have any good songs :?:

Indeed they do. Chedck out Hotter Than Hell, Destroyer, and especially Alive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:11 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

ibanez122 wrote:
Since Kiss kind of took over the Ozzy should retire thread...we'll being it over here now.

ITs obvious Ironface, -62SG-, and I have spoken about kiss and which albums are fav...so lets get on that subject. So if you are a Kiss fan what are your favs....heres a review of most of the kiss cds (my favs atleast)
Kiss (self titiled) -

Some songs should have remained off of this one (Love Theme from Kiss and Kissin Time - what were they thinkin). The classics which paved the way from em are on here though. Fav songs - Strutter, Deuce, 100,00 years, and Black Diamond.

Hotter Than Hell - The sound quailty suffers on this one - well to sum it up, it sounds like it was recorded out of a garage. This has some other live staples and some lesser known ones. There is not one bad song on this cd - as most other kiss cds have bad ones! Favs - Let Me Go Rock And Roll, All The Way (killer riff), Hotter Than Hell, Parasite (one of Ace;s best written songs)

Dressed to Kill - Ok, im roundin off the first 3 - they're all important albums for them - a step into the big time. THis cd is the best of the pre Alive! cd's IMO. Starts out rockin and ends rockin. Along with DTK, theres not a song that dissapoints. Favs - Room Service, She, Love Her All I Can, Rock Bottom (great into) - and let us not forget Rock And Roll All Night (i could do w/out it though)

Alive! - Wow, what can you say about it. Even though its for the most part live (only Ace and Peters tracks were left the same) its a definiative love cd (one of the best ever!). Theres so much energy between the band and it shows. As ive said a few times on here, this is the best era of kiss - before all the money came in and the fans mattered. This will always have a place in my music collection - it was the first kiss LP I ever heard (3 yrs old) Favs - Deuce (perfect opening song), Black Diamond (Ace tears it up), 100,000 Years (gotta love Pauls rant), and C'Mon And Love Me.

Destroyer - Bob Ezrin does a brilliant job producing this one. Probally one bad track (or 2) - Beth and Shout It Out Loud (heard too many times). There is alot of good song writting on this one. Downside is that Ace is featured on all the tracks (Sweet Pain - dick Wagner did the duties). Between 76-78 this is the most rockin on the era. Favs - Detroit Rock City (I still think its Gene in the beginning!), Flaming Youth, Do You Love Me, Great Expectations

Rock And Roll Over - Another quality one here. Some good and some bad on this one. The lackin tracks - See You In Your Dreams, Hard Luck Woman, and Mr. Speed are below average compared to what they have written. The others though are oure 70's rock and fit the sex, drugs, and rock n roll era. Favs - Take Me, Love Em Leave Em, Ladies Room.

Love Gun - Heres where the downfall of Kiss in to 70's begins. Even though the LP sold 3 or 4 million copies - its fairly below average. Then She Kissed Me, Got Love For Sale, and Tomorrow And Tonight arevery poor IMO. Ace makes his debut on this one w/ Shock Me - and is the best track on the CD. Sidenite - ironically Christine Sixteen was released the same time my mom was 16 (and her name is Christine - crazyyyy). Favs - Shock Me, I Stole Your Love, Hooligan, Almost Human.

Aces Solo - Skippin Alive II cus its utter crap. This is the best of the 4 and it shows. He stayed true to his rock and roll roots on this, as the others strayed away. As some of the older kiss stuff, theres not a bad track on here. Rock and roll straight through. Favs - Wipe Out (hilarious lyrics), Speedin Back To My Baby, Whats On Your Mind, Snow Blind.

Heres the first batch - ill do the next half later

Sign my name to this one, 'Nez. I've been a huge and loyal fan since I got Alive! for Christmas 1976. You are a true fan from what I've read.

I'll say that side 4 of Alive II has some good stuff - namely Rocket Ride.

The cool thing about Ace's album was that "New York Groove" got a lot of airplay around these parts. I think my brother and sister thought I was a bit odd being a KISS fan and then all of the sudden I own an album that actually has a hit song! And they like it!

I'm with you on the first three and Alive!. Don't forget "Strange Ways" from HTH. The guys from Skid Row loved that song and I believe they did a cover of it.

The Elder is a guilty pleasure of mine - yes, my own "Air Supply". :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:32 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

haha...The Elder is on the next installment of my favs. Though it may not be most Kiss fans favorite I enjoy it.

Quote:
You are a true fan from what I've read.

You got it - hardcore kiss fan 8)

Quote:
think my brother and sister thought I was a bit odd being a KISS fan

Im w/ you on that one as well. Ive got some much crap in the past for it from friends and my own brother. My bro used to rant about how they were homos/ gay and whatnot - but now.....he likes kiss (f'in amazing).

Quote:
I'll say that side 4 of Alive II has some good stuff - namely Rocket Ride.

The hightlight of that cd. I wish they would have made Dynasty that way (leave out Any Way You Want It) - and I think their popularity wouldnt have suffered here in the states.

Quote:
Don't forget "Strange Ways" from HTH. The guys from Skid Row loved that song and I believe they did a cover of it.

Never knew that SR covered it - ill have to check it out. None the less though its a good song. Its got that Black Sabbath vibe to it - very dark. Gotta love the riff - and Genes voice during the chorus is killer (almost sounds like hes strainin his voice)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:03 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

dstout wrote:
Don't forget "Strange Ways" from HTH. The guys from Skid Row loved that song and I believe they did a cover of it.

Not sure about that one, but Skid Row did cover "Come On And Love Me" on their "B-Sides Ourselves" EP. I'll get my lists together soon, got a bit of revisiting to do down memory lane. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:10 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

ironface166 wrote:
dstout wrote:

Not sure about that one, but Skid Row did cover "Come On And Love Me" on their "B-Sides Ourselves" EP. I'll get my lists together soon, got a bit of revisiting to do down memory lane. :lol:

You are correct Sir. Dave "Snake" Sabo said that tune (Strange Ways) was one of his and Sebastian's favorite tunes in that "Ace" tribute in Guitar World years back with he and Dime on the cover in Ace regalia.

I stand corrected. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:16 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Eldor has some good stuff, though I think the quote "It's a soundtrack to a movie that never existed" kind of sums it up.

I recently found something cool. MYV Unplugged taped from cable and the Arsenial Hall show with Deuce and Detriot Rock City.

I had the CD of Unplugged and the DVD-only track on the box set (Got To Choose), figured I'd transfer it over for kicks. Can't seem to leave the DVD player. :lol:

So I think I'll be getting this on DVD sometime soong 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:20 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I have a KISS tour magazine from the Psycho Circus tour where a fan created a comic book based on The Elder story. It got a big thumbs up from Gene but I thought the guy was way off the mark. He had the guys in KISS as characters in the story and I never saw it that way. I always thought it was more of an Excalibur/Arthur type of story with a bunch of old geezers helping the boy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:06 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

dstout wrote:
I always thought it was more of an Excalibur/Arthur type of story with a bunch of old geezers helping the boy.

Yeah, thats the inpression that you get fromt he cover of the cd....but who knows. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:47 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

ibanez, thanks for the PM and I took full advantage of it!!! :D 8) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:06 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
ibanez, thanks for the PM and I took full advantage of it!!! :D 8) :wink:

your welcome *yay*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:31 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Anyone else like a world without heroes? Sadly, its one of the only songs I like off of tales of the elder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:33 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
Anyone else like a world without heroes? Sadly, its one of the only songs I like off of tales of the elder.

Its a good song. The video is cheese w/ Gene shedding a tear at the end. For some reason I think that song should be used to the Olympics or something - I feel it fits. I also like the guitar solo on it as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:06 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

ibanez122 wrote:
Patrick McDaniel wrote:

Its a good song. The video is cheese w/ Gene shedding a tear at the end. For some reason I think that song should be used to the Olympics or something - I feel it fits. I also like the guitar solo on it as well

Didnt even know they made a video for that song :oops: ....must go find :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:11 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

The Elder album in all its shortcomings in hindsight isnt a bad album it just isnt a "kis" album but it has some great tracks off of it i liked escape from the island,the oath,and dark light.Mostly Ace songs but he keep the rock in that album with dark light and escape form the island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:15 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Rybones wrote:
The Elder album in all its shortcomings in hindsight isnt a bad album it just isnt a "kis" album but it has some great tracks off of it i liked escape from the island,the oath,and dark light.Mostly Ace songs but he keep the rock in that album with dark light and escape form the island.

I like the Elder also. However the production is really bad. Almost sounds like a demo. If the Elder had a polished production it would really shine! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:55 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I pulled out a german greatest hits cd I have by kiss today and gave it a listen. Cold gin and shock me back to back on that one. More power to Ace lol. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28  Next