It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:31 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Thanks for the pic man. Ace is looking cool as always. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:39 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
Thanks for the pic man. Ace is looking cool as always. 8)

Ineed. He was the reason I picked up a guitar. I have a killer pic of him on my desktop now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:15 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Love that Alive!-era shot Ibanez. My favorite incarnation of KISS.

My old bass player's sister lived with a guy named Rosie Licatta. He was Peter's body guard for many, many tours and very loyal to the band.

Ringo made me want to pick up the sticks. Peter made me want to beat the hell out of something with them.

PS. Ace's solo album is awesome. "Rip It Out" is a classic opening number. Saw him do it at a club in Charlotte with a couple hundred other people back in '87.

Last edited by danno on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:18 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

dstout wrote:
Love that Alive!-era shot Ibanez. My favorite incarnation of KISS.

My old bass player's sister lived with a guy named Rosie Licatta. He was Peter's body guard for many, many tours and very loyal to the band.

Ringo made me want to pick up the sticks. Peter made me want to beat the hell out of something with them.

The Alive era is the definiative kiss. Peters drum set on the later tours (love gun/Rock And Roll Over Tours) are huge compared to other drummers rigs at the time, love the drum riser on alive II!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:15 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

http://youtube.com/results.php?search=kiss+tom+snyder

may be wise to have broadband to see this.

This has to be the funnisest Kiss interview ever. Tom Snyder show 1979. You have to watch Gene'es reactions/faces during this show. Ace steals the show - literally! You can tell paul wants to get in on it but maybe feels like it'll piss of gene somemore...sit back and enjoy and laugh away

watch out for the space bear! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:34 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

DStout, I agree Ace's 1978 solo album is brilliant. The remastered CD sounds amazing. Rip It Out, Whats on your Mind, Im In Need of Love...wow. Even if you are not a KISS fan, I highly suggest buying it.
And enter into the world of the Spaceman. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:42 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I remember well that Christmas of 1978 when all of the KISS solo albums came out. As much as I loved Ace and Peter, I got Gene's first. Buying a new KISS album was like an event. They were the best about including stuff - stickers, tatoo, pictures, and posters with their albums. The solo albums each contained a large foldout poster of the guy and they all hooked together to make a huge poster.

Got my Alive II tatoos right here with me. :D

I need to get Ace's on cd soon. A classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:52 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

dstout wrote:
I remember well that Christmas of 1978 when all of the KISS solo albums came out. As much as I loved Ace and Peter, I got Gene's first. Buying a new KISS album was like an event. They were the best about including stuff - stickers, tatoo, pictures, and posters with their albums. The solo albums each contained a large foldout poster of the guy and they all hooked together to make a huge poster.

Got my Alive II tatoos right here with me. :D

I need to get Ace's on cd soon. A classic.

Thanks for the pics. I know what you mean about a kiss album coming out being an event. My dad was a hardcore Kiss fan and he always bought 2 of every LP that came out. He was even in the Kiss Army too.

I bought the Alive 2 LP and it didnt have the stickers, but it did have the Evolution of Kiss Booklet it has!

And, Ace's solo cd. His walks all over the rest - and I put Gene in 2nd. Seems like Ace was the only one that kept in the rock direction. Im not taking away from eveyone elses but Ace's solo is a classic. I love the opening guitar part to Speedin Back to my Baby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:55 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Speedin' Back. I haven't heard that in probably 20 years. As I recall he has a crushing rhythm tone on that one. The opening lick is killer.

I really liked Paul's album too. I've never really been a fan of his but his rhythm tone is classic. It's like you can hear the individual strings along with this singing sustain. I've always admired that in his playing.

Peter's album pretty much stunk. That was disappointing since he was my favorite.

Gene's is great. Pretty eclectic but a solid effort. See You Tonight is a beautiful song and I was glad to see him do it on Unplugged.

Ps. Can't tell those posters are from the 70s can you? I normally like a little more Burnt Orange and Avocado in my wall hangings. They went well with the KISS fondue pot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:13 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Of the solo albums, I'd say they were from best to worst (imo):

Ace
Paul
Gene
Peter

As for their later solo stuff:

Ace-I loved his Frehley's Comet debut. :D

Paul-I think that his next one is on the way

Gene-I thought his "AssH*le" album was crap. :roll:

Peter-His next 2 solo albums were... :shock: Yikes!! If you were looking for anything rocking, look elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:57 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

dstout wrote:
Speedin' Back. I haven't heard that in probably 20 years. As I recall he has a crushing rhythm tone on that one. The opening lick is killer.

I really liked Paul's album too. I've never really been a fan of his but his rhythm tone is classic. It's like you can hear the individual strings along with this singing sustain. I've always admired that in his playing.

Peter's album pretty much stunk. That was disappointing since he was my favorite.

Gene's is great. Pretty eclectic but a solid effort. See You Tonight is a beautiful song and I was glad to see him do it on Unplugged.

Ps. Can't tell those posters are from the 70s can you? I normally like a little more Burnt Orange and Avocado in my wall hangings. They went well with the KISS fondue pot.

Im so so on pauls solo. Move On was a killer song they did live. Ace shreds the solos on that song (check out Largo 79). Peters..well as you've all said its crap. You can tell his influences were different than the others. Genes has some good songs, as you said See You Tonight and Radioactive....have no clue what he was thinkin with When You wish Upon A Star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:06 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I've had that Largo tape for years. Saw the Dynasty tour in Charlotte, June 24, 1979. Ace did rip on that solo.

Gene was trying to give props all over the place on his solo effort. He is a major Disney fan and at the time it totally blew the fans away given his image. He couldn't pass on something like that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:22 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

"room service..baby I could use a meal
room service ...and do what you feel
room service...I take the pleasure with the pain
I CAN'T SAY NO!!!!!"

That and "ladies room" alway's sounded "dirty" to me as a kid which is why I loved it! Yeah, early Kiss was great. My nickname in grade school was Ace because I drew his picture everywhere. My first guitar hero before I even thought of playing. Then I heard Eddie and decided that's what I wanted to do. Ace will alway's be the master of simple and cool guitar playing. Sloppy yes but they were very much the Rolling Stones of a new generation like Dan said. Aerosmith also but that's another thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:44 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

lta wrote:
I CAN'T SAY NO!!!!!"

That and "ladies room" alway's sounded "dirty" to me as a kid which is why I loved it! Yeah, early Kiss was great. My nickname in grade school was Ace because I drew his picture everywhere. My first guitar hero before I even thought of playing. Then I heard Eddie and decided that's what I wanted to do. Ace will alway's be the master of simple and cool guitar playing. Sloppy yes but they were very much the Rolling Stones of a new generation like Dan said. Aerosmith also but that's another thread.

Oh man....Dressed to Kill....THats one of thier best their. Its loaded with classics - She, Room Service, Rock Bottom (love the acoustic into), Rock and Roll Night...love Getaway.

Heres another cool pic..this came with the Dynasty LP I believe (poster). I would love to get my hands on one of these and frame it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:57 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Dan, thanks for those cartoon drawings of kiss. First time Id ever seen them. And does anyone know what kiss stands for, or if it stands for anything. I know people say knights in satans service but the band has told people plenty of times thats not the case. Ive always wondered what it stood for. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:26 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
Dan, thanks for those cartoon drawings of kiss. First time Id ever seen them. And does anyone know what kiss stands for, or if it stands for anything. I know people say knights in satans service but the band has told people plenty of times thats not the case. Ive always wondered what it stood for. :?

From what ive read (even in Genes autobiography) I dont think it stands for anything and or a meaning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:53 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

All I can add is that anyone who hasn't seen KISS (then or now) should pony up the bucks to do so on the next tour...because they might be getting old, but their show is always first class KISS. ...I've seen them more than 5 times now and not been disappointed. I think Hot In The Shade tour was by far the best show....and the Farewell Tour. I think I saw a clip they will be on tour summer '06, so take your camera phone and click away!!! Oh, also read that Paul is shopping for a solo label.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:05 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

ibanez122 wrote:
lta wrote:
I CAN'T SAY NO!!!!!"

Oh man....Dressed to Kill....THats one of thier best their. Its loaded with classics - She, Room Service, Rock Bottom (love the acoustic into), Rock and Roll Night...love Getaway.

Heres another cool pic..this came with the Dynasty LP I believe (poster). I would love to get my hands on one of these and frame it!

I wish I still had that poster. I had that, the Bicentenial poster, and the Empire State poster on my walls. That one was my favorite of all. It was included inside Dynasty.

Dress To Kill is one of the greatest rock and roll albums ever. I was pleased to hear they added Love Her All I Can to the set list last tour. These guys are getting better about pulling out some obscure tunes for the fans. I always thought the vocals on the verses sounded a bit like Chicago.

Paul and Gene were meant to sing together like Lennon and McCartney.

I'm definitely listening to Dressed To Kill today. Rock and Roll Over is a great album too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:59 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I had DTK in the CD rotation yesterday...And, Rock and Roll over has some great ones on it. I looove the song Love Em Leave Em (had a killer promo vid for it back in 76) Baby Driver, See You In Your Dreams. The cover is bad ass as well

If they tour again, I wont see it. I dont much like the fact that they have 2 guys replacing Peter and Ace with thier make up as well. I saw em in 97 and that was good for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:00 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Dan, I agree dressed to kill is amazing but I also like destroyer and love gun. At least I think love gun was the name of the album :oops: . Im not an expert on kiss but I do know that I love them. I like shock me the best. Ace might not be the best singer but he has a great and unique style. And Frehley's comet (sp) is really good too. Rock soldigers is a great song. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:22 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

ibanez122 wrote:
I had DTK in the CD rotation yesterday...And, Rock and Roll over has some great ones on it. I looove the song Love Em Leave Em (had a killer promo vid for it back in 76) Baby Driver, See You In Your Dreams. The cover is bad ass as well

If they tour again, I wont see it. I dont much like the fact that they have 2 guys replacing Peter and Ace with thier make up as well. I saw em in 97 and that was good for me.

My brother took me to see them in '96 in Charlotte. He wasn't a fan but he was after that show. He took me to see The Who years earlier and said the KISS show ranked with that as the best shows he had ever seen.

Like you, I saw what I wanted to and have no desire to see guys pushing 60 in spandex.

Love Em, Leave Em is a great song. Gene has an amazing voice and I think largely overlooked as a singer.

Patrick. I wish I had Love Gun on CD. A great album that takes me back to the summer of 1977 in an instant. They included a "Love Gun" in the album which was a cardboard thing that popped when you waved it in the air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:58 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

dstout wrote:
ibanez122 wrote:

My brother took me to see them in '96 in Charlotte. He wasn't a fan but he was after that show. He took me to see The Who years earlier and said the KISS show ranked with that as the best shows he had ever seen.

Like you, I saw what I wanted to and have no desire to see guys pushing 60 in spandex.

Love Em, Leave Em is a great song. Gene has an amazing voice and I think largely overlooked as a singer.

Patrick. I wish I had Love Gun on CD. A great album that takes me back to the summer of 1977 in an instant. They included a "Love Gun" in the album which was a cardboard thing that popped when you waved it in the air.

Genes voice is killer. I couldnt imagine what his regular voice was like after a show backin the 70's. When I picked up my love gun LP i was hoping it had the gun in it still but no luck. You should just download the love gun cd. I can zip it and sent it to ya if you would like (if your ok w/ filesharing etc....). Love Gun has its bad moment (THen She Kissed Me). Why those chose that song to be on their baffles me. I Stole You Love, Christine Sixteen, Got Love For Sale, Hooligan...I can go on about that CD.

Good to see you like Destoyer too Patrick! I love the into with Gene doing the news reporter into and the guy humming RARAN. Detroit Rock City is the best opening song for a kiss concert (can say the same for Deuce). I think Bob Ezrin (producer) is brilliant (see pink floyd The Wall). I loved the musical direction on the CD. Kind of sad to have read that Ace didnt play on all the tracks though (Sweet Pain). But, every single track rocks (including Beth) - plus the cover is killer too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:48 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I just saw an article in the paper yesterday about stupid gifts to give for Christmas - one of them was a set of KISS rubber-duckies for the tub. :roll: I guess you get them from the KISS online store or something (can't remember).

Ace was always my favorite. I saw them once - definitely something I recommend (at least once)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:44 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

ibanez122 wrote:
I love the into with Gene doing the news reporter

Believe it or not, that's not Gene. Sounds just like him but he has sworn time and time again that is not him. I still say it is but I bow to his expertise on the subject.

As far a And Then She Kissed Me, all of those guys grew up with that era of music (Phil Spector) and were just giving props. I've got them doing La Bamba as well. Heck, here in the South when they play Paul always does some finger picking like Apple Blossom Special or some bluegrass thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:00 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:03 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

dstout wrote:
ibanez122 wrote:
I love the into with Gene doing the news reporter

Believe it or not, that's not Gene. Sounds just like him but he has sworn time and time again that is not him. I still say it is but I bow to his expertise on the subject.

As far a And Then She Kissed Me, all of those guys grew up with that era of music (Phil Spector) and were just giving props. I've got them doing La Bamba as well. Heck, here in the South when they play Paul always does some finger picking like Apple Blossom Special or some bluegrass thing.

I also believe its him regardless of whats been said. Ive also heard that its Bob Ezrin.....but who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:01 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

ibanez122 wrote:

This has to be the funnisest Kiss interview ever. Tom Snyder show 1979. You have to watch Gene'es reactions/faces during this show. Ace steals the show - literally! You can tell paul wants to get in on it but maybe feels like it'll piss of gene somemore...sit back and enjoy and laugh away

Man my sides are hurting. Ace has the funniest laugh I've ever heard. Sounds like Dom Deluise when he and Burt would be on Carson and he'd be pissing himself laughing. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:55 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I may be the only one (ducks for cover lol) but did anyone else like vinnie vincent when he was in the band. Now, we can agree hes no Ace but I thought he was at first at least, a suitable replacement. Then when they got bruce I was happy because bruce is pretty good as well. If they can only live down Ugh! all night :lol: (I like that song but I find most others dont)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:57 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
I've heard nothing but good reviews about the cobo hall show. I'll have to look into getting ahold of it somehow.

I have both nights on DVD. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:14 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

ibanez122 wrote:

Does Ace start to give a Nazi salute in that? It says so in Wikpedia, but I haven't seen it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next