It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Kiss
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:28 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

cant believe no one has wrote about them here. Alive was the very first Kiss record i heard (and still own the record too!) Saw them on apr. 16 1997 in topeka ks on the reunion tour. It was like seeing god or something. I remeber that concert like it was yesterday. Plus, Alive is one the greatest live albums of all time, as well as Destroyer being one of best rock albums of all time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:13 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I find it funny how all three of the first albums never made close to Gold when added together. Yet Alive managed to go triple platinum. Though the first three are classic. I like the first four studio albums and Alive I and II.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:25 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Lots of fans on this site. ACE is a walking encyclopedia on the subject. I've been a fan since July 17, 1975 when I heard the 45 of "Rock and Roll All Night". Blew me away since I was only really into the Beatles and the Beach Boys at the time. I got Alive! for Christmas 1976 and it was all over. Saw them for the first time on June 24, 1979.

Dressed to Kill is my favorite. I love the first six studio albums and Alive! Dynasty had a few great tunes too (Ace's cover of 2000 Man). I actually like The Elder too. Grandiose and pompous and all that - everything that makes a great rock and roll record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:38 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Shock Me!!! Ah what a classic. I love kiss. My brother has all of their cd's. I just purchased 2 greatest hits compilations. I liked when vinnie vincent was in the band too. I have a show from rio with him on guitar and hes pretty good at playing kiss stuff. And eric carr, I mean goodness gracious he is next to bonham IMO on drums. Its a shame he was taken from us...I still cant stand to listen to forever though bc that was my and my x girl friends song. And what about the farewell tour that never ended :lol: Rock On!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:54 pm 

I was very...impressionable as a child. Being introduced to the Alive! album at 8 years old might have been a bit much. :P It's still one of my all-time fav's though. Its their only release I really really like. Its raw, mean, and almost scary. They were hungry then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:01 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Metal Matt wrote:
I was very...impressionable as a child. Being introduced to the Alive! album at 8 years old might have been a bit much. :P It's still one of my all-time fav's though. Its their only release I really really like. Its raw, mean, and almost scary. They were hungry then.

raw is exactly right. I read in gene simmons autobiography that it was pretty much left as is except for a few fixed vocals and guitar parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:54 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Thats one reason I didnt like alive. I dont like it when bands go in and re-do certain parts to make it sound better. I know it was for commercial release but just like the ozzy cleveland show, they should have left it alone. In the end, I think more people would have appreciated that. Thats just my opinion though. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:35 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
Thats one reason I didnt like alive. I dont like it when bands go in and re-do certain parts to make it sound better.

All "live" recordings commercially released are tweaked. It's needed to make the product commercially viable. Some bands get a lot of help. Others are more well rehearsed and little tweaking is needed.

Having witnessed KISS many times live (they always put on the best shows) I can attest to the fact they needed their share of "tweaks" - Paul hitting bum chords after doing a massive spread eagle leap, Ace being, well, Ace, Bruce tripping and falling face-first down a stage ramp, etc. Average record buying Joe would not have been too thrilled with the "nuances" of performing live left on the record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:40 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I see your point dan. Please tell me you were joking about bruce kulick falling down a stage ramp :lol: and I didn't know you had seen them live more than once. And I know what you mean by Ace being Ace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:19 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
I see your point dan. Please tell me you were joking about bruce kulick falling down a stage ramp :lol: and I didn't know you had seen them live more than once. And I know what you mean by Ace being Ace.

I've seen them 5 times. My friend Mike saw them in Hampton, VA on the Animalize tour back in '85. The band ran down stage ramps at the opening and Bruce somehow got his feet tangled up. Mike said he totally busted his *ss falling - like getting launched face first and sliding all the way down on his face, guitar getting beat to hell the whole time. He somehow recovered but not very gracefully. Poor guy.

Gene's been known to get stuck in his flying rig and has set himself on fire many occaisions. In fact he did just that at their first big show. People thought he did it on purpose. Paul has landed flat on his *ss after doing a high kick. Ace got electrocuted and had severe allergic reactions to his silver face paint. Peter has been knocked out by a bottle being thrown before. All for rock and roll baby.

Eric Carr, God rest his soul, was completely wrong for the band. Gene says how great he was and how much better he was than Peter. He was a good drummer but really a square peg in a round hole. They all were good friends and he wrote and sang and perhaps that's why he was in. Peter, with all his personality shortcomings, was the KISS drummer. Their songs benefitted so much from his jazz background. They were not a metal band. They looked the part but they were a straight rock and roll band like the Stones and The New York Dolls. More glam than metal. Peter's more "Charlie Watts" approach was a perfect match. A great, great drummer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:58 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Have you heard eric carr's solo album he did right before he passed. If not, Id suggest finding it a.s.a.p. Spitfire records distributes it, I do believe. You wont be dissappointed. Whose face paint did you like the best. I think eric and vinnie's were the coolest honestly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:18 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
Have you heard eric carr's solo album he did right before he passed. If not, Id suggest finding it a.s.a.p. Spitfire records distributes it, I do believe. You wont be dissappointed. Whose face paint did you like the best. I think eric and vinnie's were the coolest honestly.

They have a drum solo on the Revenge album, Carr Jam 1981 i believe its called.

As for make up, i have to go with Ace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:26 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Man i knew of KISS from when i was a kid i used to just look atall the album covers and be like these guys r cool! I remember watching the KISS home video called KISS MY A** and i wanted to start playing guitar immdiately. I was about 12 then but as soon as I saw Ace it was all over.I have always said Ace made me want to play but Randy made me keep at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:45 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Alive II is probably my favorite KISS release. God of Thunder, Rocket Ride, ah I can still hear the popping of the record needle. :lol:

A friend of mine had a stroke a few months back. They had a benefit to try and raise money to cover some of his medical expenses. A group of us got together and did A Tribute To KISS. I am the one dressed as Peter:

Play one show in that make-up and you'll have a whole new appreciation of KISS. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:49 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

wow you had TWO drummers lol KISS meets the allman brothers with two drummers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:04 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Yeah, the group was already a band from the area, and I wanted to do something to help contribute so they asked me to join them onstage and do the 2 drummer thing.

The show started with Eric drumming, and after a few songs, they had a "surprise" and brought out a member of the family ala the unplugged CD. I came out and did Detroit Rock City, Strutter, Shock Me, and Deuce. Then Eric came back up while I ran around out front getting the crowd to sing along with Shout It Out Loud and Rock and Roll All Night. KISS songs are just fun r-n-r tunes, but when you perform them with the make-up, it's a surreal experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:23 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

cool stuff....just read somewhere that Alive! is not live :shock: said it was redon except for the drum tracks! i dont want to believe itb ut you never know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:16 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Hate to burst your bubble but VH1 did a show called ultimate albums where the band came clean and said that a lof of things were fixed and that he audience was overdubbed. I was kinda bummed when i found out to what extent they went to to make a "LIVE" recored.After hearing them expose it i mean the album is still a magical thing but makes you wish they woudl have titled the cd "ALIVE!!!..........KINDA.......ERRR SOMETHING...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:50 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I know what you mean. I have heard a few rock stars in the business say that kiss shouldnt have messed with the recording that much and that they didn't need to. I mean, the originals must have really sounded bad for them to do that much tweaking. But just like all live albums, tweaking is almost always done anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:17 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
I know what you mean. I have heard a few rock stars in the business say that kiss shouldnt have messed with the recording that much and that they didn't need to. I mean, the originals must have really sounded bad for them to do that much tweaking.

true. But, i have kiss at cobo hall in 75, and they sound amazing. must have caught em on bad nights when recording. i dunno why they would have to scrap everything but drums, cus they had i think they had like 3 or 4 different shows. The could have easily done what queen did with "Live Killers" and cut and paste 2 differernt shows in one song. would have been better than redoing it all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:21 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

From what I understood, it was just the little spots, like bad notes and screwed up vocals that were re-did.

But I have Cobo Hall and Budokan 77 (78?) and they're great.

But hey, you can't really tell if you tried.

Great album though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:06 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

I've heard nothing but good reviews about the cobo hall show. I'll have to look into getting ahold of it somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:24 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Patrick McDaniel wrote:
I've heard nothing but good reviews about the cobo hall show. I'll have to look into getting ahold of it somehow.

heres a few screen shots. photos dont do justice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:07 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I think I'll be Paul Stanley for Halloween this year. Anyone have any suggestions on the boots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:43 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Hot topic maybe? I dunno really. Probably a goth store maybe. I want to be either vinnie or eric bc I liked their facepaint better than the original members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:57 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

i know ebay sometimes has some stuff like that up for bid. i dont know about recently though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:03 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Follis wrote:
I think I'll be Paul Stanley for Halloween this year. Anyone have any suggestions on the boots?

Paul eh? Well someone is comfortable with their sexuality. As for boots, pick something you can run in.

I kid. :D Man, I have no idea but you should try your local Goodwill or Salvation Army store and look for some womens old school boots from the 70's. A BIG woman that is. :wink: Take some pics and post here what you came up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:06 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

*bump*

ive been on a Kiss binge latley. Realized why I like alive in the first place. Aside from everything thast been done to it and it not really being "live" it has sooo much power. I swear ive listened to it 30 times in the past week. Im hitting up Ace's solo album now. That man should have wrote more songs for the band. His tracks always rock on any Kiss CD (even Dynasty - his songs are the highlights of that CD).

Anyone listened to the box set? Only good things about it are the demos (especially the 70's ones dont much care for the 80's ones). Would have been killer to hear Christine Sixteen eith EVH on it though. The demos from the self titled cd are awsome. I would pick those over the finished product anyday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:04 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Follis wrote:

^ :lol: :lol: dude Iwas Gene last year.

Kiss rocks no question,rock music wouldn't be the same without them,Detriot Rock City YEAH!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:26 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

lookin around at kiss pics, and I have to say that this is quite a killer stage: t his is one of the best periods in kiss before they leaped to spuerstardom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next