It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Whitesnake-Live at Donnington 1990 CD/DVD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:32 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Well, I have some boots from this tour with Steve Vai, Adrian Vandenburg, Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge (a pretty damn good sounding supergroup on paper) from the "Slip of the Tongue" tour but It was great to get a good pro recording of this gig. Granted the video isn't high definition but it is a multi camera pro shot and good enough. The audio is pretty good as well.

Now, I gotta say, there is some awesome musicianship here, but unfortunately (kind of) it seems like the combination of Vai and Vandenburg was not the match made in Heaven some thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, there are some killer versions of some songs, but others have a not so great sound probably due to Vai and Vandenburg not really working together too well. "Bad Boys" for example is a bit slow sounding and awkward and "Still of the Night" doesn't seem to come out the way it should or as good as the current Doug Aldrich/Reb Beech combination have it down. I don't know, I saw this tour and the show sounded pretty good back then, so maybe this was just a semi-off night.

Again, the talent and musicianship is high level and the band solos are great. Coverdale always seems to give his guitarists plenty of time to solo and they do so here great. Adrian caught some criticism on his Vandenburg albums for sounding too much like Michael Schenker and when you hear his solo "Adagio For Strato" you'll think you are listening to Schenker himself, from the volume swells and sound effects intro and wah action (sounding straight from Schenk's "Lost Horizons") to the playing style of his ""Flying Dutchman Boogie". Oh, I love it, but it seems Adrian kind of apes Schenker through most of it. But I love Schenker's playing so it's no big deal. Steve Vai gets a long solo section, starting off ripping it up and then heading into "For The Love Of God" and "The Audience Is Watching" from his then current solo album "Passion And Warfare". Vai is awesome and really lets loose as well as hamming it up for the audience. Tommy Aldridge gets his usual drum solo after "Crying In The Rain" and it is pretty much the same solo Tommy played in his Ozzy days and every other band he's played in. Fun to watch.

Again, I think the Aldrich/Beech combination is a bit more faithful to the old songs and have them down tighter, but this is still a cool show to have as a whole.

On the DVD, besides the complete show, you get a cool "Making of Slip Of The Tongue" from Coverdale's personal collection and it's really cool to see Adrian, Tommy and Rudy working up stuff like "Judgemant Day" and others. This is the kind of stuff we wish we had of Ozzy, Randy, Bob and Lee doing "BOO" and "Diary". And speaking of Randy, we do get some backstage footage of Pete Merton's, Randy's guitar tech, who served as "Tour Assistant" on this tour, I guess after he had been bass tech for Rudy for awhile with Whitesnake.

So, it's a good addition to the collection of any Whitesnake fans and is reasonably priced for a two CD/DVD (complete show + bonus footage)-under 20 bucks!!