It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: K.K. Downing retired from Judas Priest
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:27 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

here's official statement from the band http://judaspriest.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=31894B27-BD13-43BA-84F0-6A11B4F9D835

Post subject: Re: K.K. Downing retired from Judas Priest
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:34 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Retires right before their farewell tour? :roll: I think that's crap. Whatever problems there are (as touched on in KK's statement today below) should have been worked out for at least this final tour. This is a sh*t way to end their touring career. :evil: +) Looks like they already have a replacement for the tour.

Former JUDAS PRIEST guitarist K.K. Downing has released the following statement regarding his departure from the band:

"Dear friends,

"It is with much regret that I will not be with you this summer.

"Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your concerns about my health. Please rest assured that I am OK.

"There has been an ongoing breakdown in working relationship between myself, elements of the band, and the band's management for some time. Therefore I have decided to step down rather than to tour with negative sentiments as I feel that this would be a deception to you, our cherished fans. However, I would urge you to please support the PRIEST as I have no doubt that it will be a show not to be missed.

"All my love and respect."

Having thought long and hard about how to proceed, the remaining members of JUDAS PRIEST — singer Rob Halford, guitarist Glenn Tipton, bassist Ian Hill and drummer Scott Travis — unanimously agreed that they should go ahead with the tour and not let fans around the world down. Fate also stepped in and delivered the perfect replacement — 31 year-old British guitar player Richie Faulkner (LAUREN HARRIS, DIRTY DEEDS). He has blended into the band perfectly and is a great talent who is going to set the stage on fire, according to a press release. A new studio album is also planned for 2012.

When questioned about his plans for the future after PRIEST completes its previously announced farewell tour, Downing recently said, "To be perfectly honest, I have not given any thought as to possible case scenarios after the final tour. At the moment though I feel that PRIEST has played its part in music history and feel very proud to have achieved what we have. So there is a good positive feeling inside me and, of course, I feel very indebted to the fans all over the world. As for the future, we probably need the help of Nostradamus."

Here's KK's replacement, Richie Faulkner doing the "Mr. Crowley" solos (I know, I know, he should be playing KK solos. :lol: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4vNMNNd ... re=related

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:12 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I agree.. I was in shock to read that he wouldnt be on the tour. Its going to be odd to see another guitarist next to Glenn. He really shouldve at least stuck it out a few more months.. sounds to me like he didnt want to do the tour.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Last edited by Alex on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:49 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Alex wrote:
ironface166 wrote:
Retires right before their farewell tour? :roll: I think that's crap. Whatever problems there are (as touched on in KK's statement today below) should have been worked out for at least this final tour. This is a sh*t way to end their touring career. :evil: +) Looks like they already have a replacement for the tour.

You're taking this awfully personal. :lol:

Right, "Personal opinion". I gave MY opinion which happens to be shared by many a diehard Priest fan like myself. But wait, it personally did just actually save me alot of money. :lol: "Awfully personal" is when you start calling people ignorant for not sharing your own personal musical tastes. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Last edited by Alex on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:07 pm 

Rob Halford's response....

Quote:
Benjamin "Benji" Baudelot of Rock Hard, a French magazine, spoke to Judas Priest singer Rob Halford one day after it was announced that the band's original guitarist, Kenneth "K.K." Downing, was retiring from the group.

"K.K. leaving was his own decision, for the reasons he made public on his web site [earlier today]," Halford said.

We had a fantastic time together on the 'Nostradamus' tour... [But] K.K. has his own life to live and we can't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

He told us [of his decision to leave Judas Priest] before Christmas time. Personally, I thought this could be the end... Emotionally, for me, it's been very, very difficult…

When K.K. said he was thinking of retiring, Glenn [Tipton] was the first guy to send him a personal email to say, 'Ken, I hope you're OK. If there's anything you need, just let me know.' We kept the door open all this time in case Ken changed his mind, but the clock was ticking."

When asked about the remaining members' decision to go ahead with their previously announced tour plans with a replacement guitarist, Halford said, "K.K. can never be replaced; he's unique, and we didn't want any kind of K.K. copycat. Richie Faulkner came to Glenn's house to jam, and Glenn simply told me he was absolutely brilliant."

Rock Hard's full interview with Rob Halford will be published in the in the magazine's May issue (#110).

Judas Priest members had previously stated that their "Epitaph" tour would be their last, but that they would continue recording, with a new album due for release next year.

The tour begins in Holland on June 7th with a series of dates scheduled throughout Europe this summer. The band will then travel to Brazil and Mexico in the fall. There has been no word on a U.S tour.

http://www.eddietrunk.com/index.cfm/pk/ ... pid/400512

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:18 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Did this new guy use to have longer hair? If so I seen him with Lauren Harris when she opened for Iron Maiden about 4/5 years ago, and all I could think was that the guy wanted to be Zakk Wylde so hard that it made Lauren's set unbearable. I hate clones.

If it's the same guy this new Priest tour is going to sound like a Zakk Wylde clone trying to become a KK Downing clone. Bad news. A great player on the surface no doubt, but absolutely wrong for Priest, they might aswell have gone all out and just hired Zakk instead of his clone.
edit: yeah it's the same guy. :|