It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mike Portnoy quits Dream Theater
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:09 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Portnoy quits Dream Theater. Very surprising news.

I could live without LaBrie but Portnoy?? That's no Dream Theater to me. :(

Post subject: Re: Mike Portnoy quits Dream Theater
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:18 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Hard to imagine Dream Theater without Portnoy... he is Dream Theater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:24 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

A7$.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:44 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Last edited by Alex on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:26 pm 

Ironically enough, I was at Uproar Festival watching Portnoy play with A7X Wednesday when this news came out. I love Portnoy and DT -- never been a big A7X fan and was really there to see some of the other bands, but their new material with Portnoy is REALLY good (reminds me of early 90s era Metallica) and all of them looked like they were having a blast together onstage. When they introduced Portnoy they didn't refer to him specifically as a new member but they also didn't say he was just a temp. They did say they were glad to "welcome him to the family" (a play on words based on one of their song titles) and he got big love from the crowd. He looked really happy.

I think he's rejuvenated with the younger band and crowd (I was one of the old dudes at the gig).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:12 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I was a little shocked to learn of Mike leaving DT , but after a few days of thinking about it I think this can be a postive thing for them , a new drummer will add a new dynamic to the band in sound and as a member , I can only imagine that Petrucci must be kinda relieved not to have loogies hucked at him every minute or two ! LOL .. I'd like to see Dave Dicenso , the drummer that played on JP's solo album given the position , he was comparable to Portnoy in style , also more tasteful IMHO .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:35 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

KillerWatts wrote:
I was a little shocked to learn of Mike leaving DT , but after a few days of thinking about it I think this can be a postive thing for them , a new drummer will add a new dynamic to the band in sound and as a member

Cant say that I agree. MP wrote some of the best lyrics of the members that wrote songs (Myung is second). JP's lyrics have been less than stellar with the exception of 'Count of Tuscany' on the past few albums (ill throw in "Ministy of Lost Souls' too). The band will seriously miss him. MP cannot and will not be replaced and the band will be suck without him. I love DT and are one of my favorite bands ever, but they would have been better and taking his offer of a hiatus. DT without MP is not DT.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:49 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I agree they should have taken some time off, and maybe worked on some solo projects. I was SHOCKED by this announcement. He is a phenomenal player.

I would have to listen to any new Sans-Portnoy material and judge it before buying it.

It's like RUSH losing Peart. What's the point of going on with the same name? Start a new band, by God.

http://www.razorboneband.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:50 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Fernando Ramirez wrote:
I would have to listen to any new Sans-Portnoy material and judge it before buying it.

It would be hard to listen to, so I dont know if I would give it the time of day. I may have to check out Portnoy with AX7 (not an AX7 fan). Wouldnt mind checking out his other solo stuff though since that what he seems to like better at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:19 am 

Derek, you need to check out the new A7X CD. Never been a fan of theirs, but I can't stop listening to the new CD with Portnoy on it. Good stuff. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

im late reading this, but damn that sucks

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:43 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Personally, I was a bit surprised, but not shocked.

Mike bitched about being burned out, but the guy has so many projects on the go behind the scenes that something had to give and honestly, I can't help but wonder if he brought this upon himself.

Still, by the same token, I cannot blame DT for wanting to carry on.

Simply put, this band is their full-time jobs and if they're at home doing nothing, then who's going to pay their bills and mortgages for them? These are grown men with wives and children to support and even though they're all in a higher tax bracket than most of us, they most certainly are not millionaires! Before you judge either side, you should ask yourself one question - "Could I afford to take two years off from working and "recharge" like MP wants to"?

That said, Mike is most certainly NOT the be all end all of DT. Some people overlook the fact that DT is FIVE PEOPLE, not one. There are four other supremely talented individuals in this equation - all virtuosos in their respective fields. In my opinion, almost anyone can replace Mike the drummer, but very few could replace Mike the person within the band.

I've been a fan of Dream Theater's since 1992 and have seen their progression over the past 18 years... and I believe things were gradually stagnating since Train Of Thought - there's still some gems between then and now, though (Octavarium, In The Presence Of Enemies, The Ministry Of Lost Souls, Wither, The Count Of Tuscany). However, personally, I am very excited about their future and anxious to see what some fresh blood will bring to the table - I imagine what a Mike Mangini, Bobby Jarzombek or Terry Bozzio could offer to them.

I know that both parties will come out fine on the other side of this. And who knows - he may return some day (and he's certainly hinted at this fact).

Just my $0.03...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:00 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Last edited by Alex on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Whitewolf wrote:
Personally, I was a bit surprised, but not shocked.

Mike bitched about being burned out, but the guy has so many projects on the go behind the scenes that something had to give and honestly, I can't help but wonder if he brought this upon himself.

Still, by the same token, I cannot blame DT for wanting to carry on.

Simply put, this band is their full-time jobs and if they're at home doing nothing, then who's going to pay their bills and mortgages for them? These are grown men with wives and children to support and even though they're all in a higher tax bracket than most of us, they most certainly are not millionaires! Before you judge either side, you should ask yourself one question - "Could I afford to take two years off from working and "recharge" like MP wants to"?

That said, Mike is most certainly NOT the be all end all of DT. Some people overlook the fact that DT is FIVE PEOPLE, not one. There are four other supremely talented individuals in this equation - all virtuosos in their respective fields. In my opinion, almost anyone can replace Mike the drummer, but very few could replace Mike the person within the band.

I've been a fan of Dream Theater's since 1992 and have seen their progression over the past 18 years... and I believe things were gradually stagnating since Train Of Thought - there's still some gems between then and now, though (Octavarium, In The Presence Of Enemies, The Ministry Of Lost Souls, Wither, The Count Of Tuscany). However, personally, I am very excited about their future and anxious to see what some fresh blood will bring to the table - I imagine what a Mike Mangini, Bobby Jarzombek or Terry Bozzio could offer to them.

I know that both parties will come out fine on the other side of this. And who knows - he may return some day (and he's certainly hinted at this fact).

Just my $0.03...

Wow! It's just like you read my mind! :shock:
Mike complained about a constant record then tour schedule. Unfortunately, DT in the 3 years 2007-2009, they only were on the road for about 35 weeks! 35 out of a possible 156 weeks! Wow, what would any of us give to live that life! DT ALWAYS would tour for 5-6 weeks then go home for a month, then go back out for 5-6 weeks etc! While 4 members sat at home enjoying their family life last year, Mike went out and toured again! He also said the band was getting stale, well as the band leader/control freak/compulsive obsessive disorder "sufferer", who's fault is that?
Yeah I'm sad too see him go, he's a fantastic drummer, nice enough guy when I met him at two "meet & greets" (they're too expensive BTW) but he made his bed....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:34 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

DT is one of my fav. bands ever since i hear images and words and when dream and day unite. i was hooked.

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:13 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Hey guys, I'm not a great fan of DT but they released a really awesome three part documentary about their search for a new drummer, I'm not even a fan, and I really enjoyed watching this, it shows all 7 drummers that they auditioned, and it's just really interesting to see the process of how they challenged, all these great drummers, and eventually chose the best fit from 7 amazing players.

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L609JsPF ... ure=relmfu
part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vaDfcKz ... re=related
part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHMQjH17aw

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:41 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Mangini was one of my top 3 choices from the day I heard the news. I'm well pleased he got it!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:07 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Last edited by Alex on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Mangini was my favourite from the start, he just has such a nice personality, him and Marko were the only drummers that didn't struggle at all during the audition aswell, all three "phases" didn't seem to err...phase them in the slightest.

I was aware of Marko from his playing with Paul Gilbert and knew he was a monster, but I'd never heard Mangini and was just blown away. I would have chosen him too, he just played with such intensity, a real show man for a drummer, you can tell it just meant more to him to join this band.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:06 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Loved Mangini's work with EXTREME!!!!

http://www.razorboneband.com