Post subject: Dave Mustaine's autobiography to be released in August
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:42 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Looks like it is going to be fun read
http://www.megadeth.com/home_popup.php?news_id=1550

Post subject: Re: Dave Mustaine's autobiography to be released in August
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:23 am 

Could be quite interesting -- as long as it doesn't spiral down into him slagging of on Metallica and former Megadeth band members throughout the whole book. I hope he doesn't, because if he does this right it could be a great read. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:21 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

i want it! hope its like Mötley Crues "the dirt" but megadeth ;D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:19 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Just finished reading the book. It was pretty good... a page turner. Took me about two and a half days to read it. And I read it slowly! LOL

The issue of Metallica weighs heavily in this book, and Mustaine seems to be dealing with it pretty well. Totally understandable how he feels. The chapter where he discusses Metallica's Hall of Fame entry was good... tough to read from his perspective. He still has some resentment, but ... who wouldn't? Disappointed to read how petty Lars is when you come down to it.

The one thing Mustaine doesn't seem to realize is that being fired from Metallica was probably the best thing that could have happened to him. There is no way he could have ever become the leader he became by being in that band. Lars and James would have held him back: monetarily, and creatively. They are like Paul and Gene... they call the shots (good or bad) in their band. Mustaine would have raged against becoming a sycophant the way Lars and James wanted him to be... and the way Hammett is. I say this about Hammett because he is essentially the 'hired gun.' I mean, how much creative input does he actually have? He is primarily the solo-player in the band. Mustaine would never have been satisfied with that... and maybe Lars knew this.

Being a musician.... I was a bit disappointed in that it had close to nothing on "the nuts and bolts" of songwriting, and how his guitar playing developed/evolved. It does briefly touch on all of the albums, but only offers a footnote on the latest release ENDGAME. It also doesn't touch on Ellefson's return to Megadeth... which probably happened after the completion of the book. It does touch on Mustaine and Ellefson talking/communicating after Ellefson's attempt to sue Mustaine... and some closure between the former friends after that.

Overall, it was a good book. Has lots of drama... mostly about his prodigious drug use and his numerous stays in rehab. I laughed out loud several times... especially in the part where he re-tells how he accidentally pissed in Ellefson's luggage. Hilarious!

I was also disappointed at the absence of a discography and list of who played on what albums. I know that stuff is available elsewhere, but it would have been handy to have there.

It was a short book... I would have loved to have kept on reading and reading it. Well done, and a definite must-have for Mustaine fanatics. I highly recommend it.

http://www.razorboneband.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:14 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Fernando Ramirez wrote:
Just finished reading the book. It was pretty good... a page turner. Took me about two and a half days to read it. And I read it slowly! LOL

The issue of Metallica weighs heavily in this book, and Mustaine seems to be dealing with it pretty well. Totally understandable how he feels. The chapter where he discusses Metallica's Hall of Fame entry was good... tough to read from his perspective. He still has some resentment, but ... who wouldn't? Disappointed to read how petty Lars is when you come down to it.

The one thing Mustaine doesn't seem to realize is that being fired from Metallica was probably the best thing that could have happened to him. There is no way he could have ever become the leader he became by being in that band. Lars and James would have held him back: monetarily, and creatively. They are like Paul and Gene... they call the shots (good or bad) in their band. Mustaine would have raged against becoming a sycophant the way Lars and James wanted him to be... and the way Hammett is. I say this about Hammett because he is essentially the 'hired gun.' I mean, how much creative input does he actually have? He is primarily the solo-player in the band. Mustaine would never have been satisfied with that... and maybe Lars knew this.

Being a musician.... I was a bit disappointed in that it had close to nothing on "the nuts and bolts" of songwriting, and how his guitar playing developed/evolved. It does briefly touch on all of the albums, but only offers a footnote on the latest release ENDGAME. It also doesn't touch on Ellefson's return to Megadeth... which probably happened after the completion of the book. It does touch on Mustaine and Ellefson talking/communicating after Ellefson's attempt to sue Mustaine... and some closure between the former friends after that.

Overall, it was a good book. Has lots of drama... mostly about his prodigious drug use and his numerous stays in rehab. I laughed out loud several times... especially in the part where he re-tells how he accidentally pissed in Ellefson's luggage. Hilarious!

I was also disappointed at the absence of a discography and list of who played on what albums. I know that stuff is available elsewhere, but it would have been handy to have there.

It was a short book... I would have loved to have kept on reading and reading it. Well done, and a definite must-have for Mustaine fanatics. I highly recommend it.

I haven't read the book yet, but I would agree that his being fired from Metallica was probably the best thing for him creatively and professionally. I prefer Megadeth to Metallica anyway. Mustaine is a better songwriter than either Hetfield or Ulrich. And he's also a better lead player than Hammett.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:59 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Great book but the end seemed rushed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:18 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Boo hoo! I'm so sick of hearing how unfair it was that he got kicked out of Metallica! It's been how long? It's time to get over it. He was a speck in the history of Metallica. Yes, he came up with some of the songs on the first album and they were classics but do you really think there would not have been a Metallica if Dave Mastaine was not there in the beginning?

What happened after Dave was booted? Did Metallica fall apart because they didn't have Dave there to write some good songs for them? No! They went on and made many more classic songs and became huge. Dave had no part in that success!

Now I have nothing against Dave's music. He has written some classic metal himself and Megadeth is one of my favorite bands. His short stay with Metallica is just a minuscule blimp in the history of Metallica. It's about time for him to let it go and be happy with his own achievements and be proud of the impact he has made on the Metal Scene as a whole. Move on Dave! Please! Move on!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:28 pm 

classicalmetal wrote:
Boo hoo! I'm so sick of hearing how unfair it was that he got kicked out of Metallica! It's been how long? It's time to get over it. He was a speck in the history of Metallica. Yes, he came up with some of the songs on the first album and they were classics but do you really think there would not have been a Metallica if Dave Mastaine was not there in the beginning?

What happened after Dave was booted? Did Metallica fall apart because they didn't have Dave there to write some good songs for them? No! They went on and made many more classic songs and became huge. Dave had no part in that success!

Now I have nothing against Dave's music. He has written some classic metal himself and Megadeth is one of my favorite bands. His short stay with Metallica is just a minuscule blimp in the history of Metallica. It's about time for him to let it go and be happy with his own achievements and be proud of the impact he has made on the Metal Scene as a whole. Move on Dave! Please! Move on!

Amen!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:56 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

anyone read that yet?

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:34 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I have seen it a few times and just couldn't bring myself to buy it *?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 pm 

I enjoyed it. He ain't Hemingway, but it was a good read. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:08 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

hey rickhawk.anything stand out?

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:53 am 

CliffDimeRandy wrote:
hey rickhawk.anything stand out?

I thought he was pretty even handed in his telling of his share of the blame in the Metallica firing and in his later years of heavy drug use. I worried that the Metallica section was just going to be one long bitch session, but all things considered, I thought he was as fair in reporting it as anyone could be who lived through it. Definitely a worthwhile read for any Mustaine fan. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:59 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

It was a good book but I can;t help but feel he focused a lot on the early metallica days and glanced over one of the biggest periods of Megadeth's career (The Rust in Peace lineup era). He seemed to not go into much detail or as many stories about that era than his early beginnings.