It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: M3 Concert-6-19-10 Merriweather Post Pavillion-Columbia, MD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:27 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Scorpions, Cinderella, Vince Neil, Kix, Winger, L.A. Guns, Warrant, all in the same day. Yeah, I made the trek.

First off, it was a brutally hot day and even the Pavillion wasn't a safe zone as there was no breeze and the pass-out toll was high from heat and booze and whatever other goodies. I didn't get there till 3:00, so I missed a few bands like Jetboy, Trixter and one of the two versions of L.A. Guns.

Winger was up first and they were damn good. They played more of their heavier stuff and the ballad count was low, so that was good. Reb Beech was amazing as usual.
The set was:

Your Great Escape
Blind Revolution Mad
Easy Come Easy Go
Deal With The Devil
Down Incognito
Can't Get Enough
Reb Beach Guitar Solo
You Are The Saint I Am The Sinner
Heading For A Heartbreak
Seventeen
Madelaine

Next up was local heroes Kix. The crowd went nuts as usual for these guys and they played a smoking set of their standards. Vocalist Steve Whiteman is imo THE most energetic frontaman in the bussiness and his vocals didn't suffer a bit from it. He had the crowd in his hands for the whole set. Their set was (maybe a few out of order):

Hot Wire
Cold Blood
Sex
The Itch
Cold Shower
Girl Money
Don't Cloxse Your Eyes
Midnight Dynamite
Blow My Fuse
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

Next up was Vince Neil's solo band. I expected all Motley Crue songs and I was almost right. He threw in a cover of Cheap Trick's "I'm A Whore" and Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" along with Crue classics but the biggest surprise was him doing a tribute to Ronnie James Dio and the band played about a chunk of "Heaven And Hell" with Jeff Blando singing while Vince took a backstage break. I was surprised that this was the only dedication or mention of Dio on the show by bands (except a unknown band named Mass on the second stage who also played "Heaven And Hell").

Vince's band consisted of ex-Slaughter bassist Dana Strum and ex-Slaughter guitarist Jeff Blando. Blando was fantastic and an great showman as well. His moves and some of his playing was highly reminescent of Randy and he even played a cream-colored Les Paul (with checkers on it) as well as a Black Beauty. The drummer was a guy named Zoltron or something like that and he was INSANE on the kit. One of the best showman I've ever seen on drums live. I know he had to try and live up to Tommy Lee's flashiness and show stuff and damn if he didn't surpass him. Quite a highlight watching him play. The set was (some out of order):

Live Wire
Dr. Feelgood
Piece Of Your Action
I'm A Whore (Cheap Trick Cover)
Heaven And Hell
Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
Same Old Situation
Wildside
Girls, Girls, Girls
Kickstart My Heart
Rock And Roll

Cinderella was next and due to a few circumstances I missed most of their set but what I saw sounded good. Tom Keifer's voice sounded just like it did back in 86 and he looked exactly the same too. The rest of the band were right on the money as well. They played the following (I think I may have left out one or two):

Somebody Save Me
Shelter Me
Heartbreak Station
Night Songs
Nobody's Fool
The Last Mile
Shake Me
Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone

Last up was the main reason most of us were there, The Scorpions. They came on about 40 minutes past their scheduled start and I thought that would screw up their set length because Merriweather has an 11:00 curfew for sound. Somebody must have paid teh piper cause Scorps didn't end till almost 11:30. Oh well, Scorps went on about 10:15 after an excruciating 20 minute sound check by the roadies playing the same groove over and over and over. Somethingwas clearly wrong with Klaus's voice. Unfortunately a few songs into the set we were told by Klaus that his voice was shot and that he could not sing loud, only quiet but he didn't want to cancel the show. This was emphasized by Vince Neil joining the band on stage two songs later to sing "Another Piece Of Meat" with Klaus throwing in only a few lines. A long and way boring drum solo by James Kottak seemed to go on for 15-20 minutes. Mattias Jabs was highly motivated and he saved the day with his enthusiastic and hyper playing. Rudolph Schenker was his usual insane self and held down the ryhthm great. I hadn't seen the Scorpions in several years so seeing Rudolph with very short hair died blonde threw me for a moment. :lol:

Anyway, not the greatest time I've seen the Scorpions (actually the worst) but I understand sh*t happens and vocals do go when you get sick. Too bad it was only the second gig of a three year farewell tour. I'd like to see them again on this tour when Klaus is feeling better. One of the highlights of the Scorpion's set was me running down Eddie Trunk (who was there with his camera crew doing some filming probably for his show) and "stumping the Trunk". (Story coming soon in Off Topic. :lol: ) The Scorpions played (in this order):

Sting In The Tail
Make It Real
Bad Boys Running Wild
The Zoo
Coast To Coast (w/Klaus on guitar)
I Can't Get Enough (w/Vince Neil)
The Best Is Yet To Come
Holiday
Winds Of Change
Raised On Rock
Tease Me Please me
Long Ass Drum Solo
Blackout
Mattias Jabs Guitar Solo
Big City Nights
Rock You Like A Hurricane

All in all, a great day of rock and roll. *r*

Post subject: Re: M3 Concert-6-19-10 Merriweather Post Pavillion-Columbia,
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:29 am 

Sounds like an awesome show. I was reading Perry's(Rhoads56) account as well on facebook. Sounds like those guys really put on a hell of a show.

Post subject: Re: M3 Concert-6-19-10 Merriweather Post Pavillion-Columbia,
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:52 am 

Sounds great, Iron. I really wanted to catch Scorps on this tour, but the only date they're doing anywhere near me is a 3-day festival of old hair metal bands and you gotta buy the three-day pass -- no single day passes are offered. +) Frankly, most of the other bands on the bill I've seen more than enough already or never had any interest in seeing even back in their glory days, so forking over $300 just to see the Scorps is a bit rich for my taste.

I'm gonna hope they come near enough again at some point during this three-year farewell so I can catch them on the rebound. *yay*