It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Your favorite guitar player, other then Randy or Jimi
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:43 am 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

My favorite guitar player other then Randy is none other then Mr Stevie Ray Vaughan (1954-1990).

He played insanely complicated parts in blues and also rock and jazz and also sang them at the same time, and never once let go of soul and taste in everything he did. He was also inspired by Jeff Beck like Randy was but you couldn't possibly find anyone so different from Randy on the guitar scale; their styles have almost nothing in common. He never used distortion and still sounded heavy as hell in his own way from how hard he played. He released 4 albums and one live double album during his life. Since then there has been one more full studio album, tons of concerts, and wonderful compilations (not all of them greatest hits sh*t) put out in his name. He brought back blues based music in the 80s like nobody has since, and I hope to be the first one to follow in his footsteps in that way sometime during this decade.

He's my main fave along with Randy. Always has been. Jimi would be too if I couldn't play so much of his stuff by now. But Randy's and Stevie's parts are much harder really. Kind of sick of him at the moment for that reason.

That's about it. The other main guitar players I'm digging right now are Eddie Van Halen, Billy Corgan, and Hubert Sumlin. But Stevie and Randy will always be my faves. Peace out.

Post subject: Re: Your favorite guitar player, other then Randy or Jimi
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:46 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Mr RATT himself...warren demartini hands down *r* *r* ....Infestation is AWESOME and carlos rules on it to. If you haven't got it already >>>GET IT....NOW :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:13 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Umm very hard question.. Randy usually remains my favorite but mine tends to switch a lot.. Hmm I would say Jimmy Paige because ive been listening to his acoustic(softsongs) with Zeppelin, such as Thank You, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Over The Hills And Far Away, etc. And im pretty into his rhythm and i like his chords a lot.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:35 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

willow13 wrote:
RATT -Infestation is AWESOME and carlos rules on it to. If you haven't got it already >>>GET IT....NOW :wink:

I agree 100 %. This album caught me by total surprise but it kicks ass. *r* Very reminiscent of "Out Of The Cellar" and "Invasion Of Your Privacy" days. What a comeback. I think the addition of Carlos had a lot to do with breathing some new life into the band. Double thumbs up!!!

Oh and the guitarist question, after Randy, it's still Tony Iommi and Eddie Van Halen.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:36 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Dimebag
Marty Friedman (who I had the pleasure meeting)
Jason Becker

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:14 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Dimebag and Marty I've hardly heard at all...... Jason Becker not at all, so I'm not in a position to make a statement about them. Same with the other guy you guys mentioned whom two or three of you claimed is too awesome to miss. I have always and will always love Eddie Van Halen and Tony Iommi, and I have since the day I heard them. Not a day goes by when those two do not influence my work. When it comes to Jimmy Page, his acoustic work is always spot-on, I have always been a huge fan of his acoustic work, except when Robert Plant steals lyrics of course (if you don't believe me I can provide proof). His electric work I have mixed feelings about, but I love his electric work on Zeppelin 1,3,4, some of Houses Of The Holy, the song Achieles Last Stand, and the song The Rover. But Jimmy Page is at least 4 times the acoustic player that he ever was an electric player. If you want to hear similar but more consistent electric work, check out Jeff Beck, Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton's stuff from The Yardbirds to Blind Faith. For somewhat similar acoustic work I'd recommend Robert Johnson, Joni Mitchell, and Joan Baez. I also really dig Kirk Hammett's solos on Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, And Justice For All, The Black Album, and a little bit of Death Magnetic.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:28 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Ronni Le Tekro

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:11 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ironface166 wrote:
I agree 100 %. This album caught me by total surprise but it kicks ass. *r* Very reminiscent of "Out Of The Cellar" and "Invasion Of Your Privacy" days. What a comeback. I think the addition of Carlos had a lot to do with breathing some new life into the band. Double thumbs up!!!

I also hear a lot of dancing under cover in there.........your right carlo's really has lit the fire again by the sound of it. He wrote eat me alive and best of me which to me are classic RATT, so the fit must be near perfect.

RRguitarwannaplay wrote:
Jimi would be too if I couldn't play so much of his stuff by now.

Just back to the thread.....I find it interesting that jimi is mentioned in the title (obviously randy being as it is his site)....almost like you assume jimi would be on everyone's list?????.....personally jimi wouldn't make my top 50 (if I could think of a top 50 that is :wink: ) I always found his playing horrible and from what I like about guitar playing he is totally over rated

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:04 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Paul Gilbert :)

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:29 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

What Rexix said + Michael Angelo Batio :D

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:31 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I guess I have too many to even name a top favourite, Randy wouldn't hold that position for me alone, I respect way too many guitar players. My three main influences have and probably will always be Slash, David Gilmour, and Randy Rhoads.

Outside of that there's Gary Moore...and all the usual suspects. (Page, Hendrix, etc)

I think in terms of the absolute complete package...striking on genius musical ideas and tastefulness, while also having unrivaled technical chops, I gotta mention Joe Satriani.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:51 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

willow13 wrote:
Personally jimi wouldn't make my top 50 (if I could think of a top 50 that is :wink: ) I always found his playing horrible and from what I like about guitar playing he is totally over rated

I have never and can't for the life of me get into JH's style. I just don't care for really anything he did. Would rock be were it is today with out him? Probably not. But that does not mean I have to like him. So in a sense I agree with you.

Now back to the question. I think at my discovery of Jason Becker he hands down has become my new Randy Rhoads. Not that he would ever replace that but I feel the same excitement from Jason Becker's playing as I do Randy Rhoads. Not that this thread is a "who is the best guitar player" but I think Nuno Bettencourt gets left out a lot when ever any of these threads get started. You guys really need to spend some time (not that some of you haven't)on YouTube and just listen to the solos he did starting in '86. I say that just as a head up. I wish I had the ability to write solo's the way Nuno does. They are so darn cool sounding.

Any way I would say that Jason Becker is my guy in the context of this thread. If you have not heard of him check out his Cacophony stuff. You need to check out Speed Metal Symphony, Concerto, Go Off, and Black Cat. You tube has that stuff. Also check out his live solo from '89 and Serrana.

Oh and Paul Gilbert rules.

Edit: correct the spelling mistakes.

Last edited by dannyahansen on Mon May 24, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:25 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

dannyahansen wrote:
I have never and connot for the life of me get into JH style. I just don't care for really anything he did. Would rock be were it is today with out him? Probably not. But that does not mean I have to like him. So in a sense I agree with you.
yep that's the point I was tryna make

Now back to the qeustion. I think at my discovery of Jason Becker he hands down has become my new Randy Rhoads. Not that he would ever replace that but I feel the same excitement from Jason Becker's playing as I do Randy Rhoads. Not that this thread is a "who is the best gutiar palyer" but I think Nuno Bettencourt gets left out a lot when ever any of these threads get started. You guys really need to spend some time on youtube and just listen to the solos he did starting in '86. I say that just as a head up. I wish I had the ability to write solo's the way Nuno does. They are so darn cool sounding. Any way I would say that Jason Becker is my guy in the context of this thread. If you have not heard of him chekc out his Cacophany stuff. You ened to check out Speed Metal Symphony, Concerto, Go Off, and Black Cat. You tube has that stuff. Also check out his live solo from '89 and Serrana.

agree on the becker one to......lil ain't enough with DLR is awesome

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:31 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Well... I always loved Blackmore, Yngwie (whatever people say about him I forgive him everything), Jason Becker (so adorable, talented and nice person - and such a gruesome fate...). I like Andy LaRocque very much, as well as other Diamond's guitar players. David Gilmour, Jake E Lee and many many more. To name just one... I can't do it. Everyone has his strengths and weaknesses.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:39 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Alex Lifeson and the guy who started it all for me Ace Frehley

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:12 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

I LOVE RITCHIE BLACKMORE! People have always said I play like him but then when I checked out his stuff I found out why! He was way ahead of his time. I wasn't asuming Jimi was on everyone's list. Jimi's playing does get repetitive eventually..... but then again so does everyone's. I love how Jimi was the first player to be so heavy and so beautiful and so experimental all at the same time... Jeff Beck was going into similar territory but Jimi took was Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Pete Townsend were all doing and took it further..... And fused it with soul, jazz, and later neo classical music near the end. But that's just me. Having said that I love Eric, Jeff, and Pete all to death.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:30 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

tallonson wrote:
Alex Lifeson and the guy who started it all for me Ace Frehley

Oh Yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:10 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Other than Randy, Im going with Chuck Schuldiner, hands down one of the greatest guitarist ever!! Him and Randy are my favorites!! I love James Hetfield too, most would say Kirk, but I like James better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:02 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Michael Schenker...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:00 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

willow13 wrote:
dannyahansen wrote:
I have never and connot for the life of me get into JH style. I just don't care for really anything he did. Would rock be were it is today with out him? Probably not. But that does not mean I have to like him. So in a sense I agree with you.
yep that's the point I was tryna make

Now back to the qeustion. I think at my discovery of Jason Becker he hands down has become my new Randy Rhoads. Not that he would ever replace that but I feel the same excitement from Jason Becker's playing as I do Randy Rhoads. Not that this thread is a "who is the best gutiar palyer" but I think Nuno Bettencourt gets left out a lot when ever any of these threads get started. You guys really need to spend some time on youtube and just listen to the solos he did starting in '86. I say that just as a head up. I wish I had the ability to write solo's the way Nuno does. They are so darn cool sounding. Any way I would say that Jason Becker is my guy in the context of this thread. If you have not heard of him chekc out his Cacophany stuff. You ened to check out Speed Metal Symphony, Concerto, Go Off, and Black Cat. You tube has that stuff. Also check out his live solo from '89 and Serrana.

agree on the becker one to......lil ain't enough with DLR is awesome

You definitely don't have to be a fan of Hendrix but he has played some beautiful guitar! Don't forget that it was a whole different world back then. There wasn't guitars with locking tremolo systems so he played out of tune a bit. His playing was also very experimental for the times. You never heard anybody play like him at that time. This was not a world with Van Halens, Satriani's, Ynwie's. It was a time with Beck, Clapton and Townshend (however you spell it). While these are all excellent players he took it in a whole different area. Also all of these players were in awe of this guy. There has to be some reason. Hendrix is one of if not the biggest influence of Joe Satriani. Again you have to remember this was a whole different time period. Guitar playing was at a different level then and Hendrix was on top!

Now having said all that you need to dig deeper into his playing. Get past all the feedback and him playing out of tune. Give his stuff a real listen! He played some great blues guitar and alot of it was totally improvised. He never played a song the same way twice. Also beside his great and innovative blues playing his rhythm playing was even better. He had some beautiful chord embellishments and he was able to take the blues and transform it into his own thing. He was an innovator!

I may be going out on a limb here but I'm guessing the guys saying this are a bit younger. It's easy to forget the shred thing was not always around.

Anyways I didn't mean to get off track here. Back to the subject!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:02 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

One of my favorites is Jim Matheos from Fates Warning. A great guitarist and songwriter!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:44 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Dimebag f**kin' Darrell and Rick Derringer....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:45 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

classicalmetal wrote:
You definitely don't have to be a fan of Hendrix but he has played some beautiful guitar! Don't forget that it was a whole different world back then. There wasn't guitars with locking tremolo systems so he played out of tune a bit. His playing was also very experimental for the times. You never heard anybody play like him at that time. This was not a world with Van Halens, Satriani's, Ynwie's. It was a time with Beck, Clapton and Townshend (however you spell it). While these are all excellent players he took it in a whole different area. Also all of these players were in awe of this guy. There has to be some reason. Hendrix is one of if not the biggest influence of Joe Satriani. Again you have to remember this was a whole different time period. Guitar playing was at a different level then and Hendrix was on top!

Now having said all that you need to dig deeper into his playing. Get past all the feedback and him playing out of tune. Give his stuff a real listen! He played some great blues guitar and alot of it was totally improvised. He never played a song the same way twice. Also beside his great and innovative blues playing his rhythm playing was even better. He had some beautiful chord embellishments and he was able to take the blues and transform it into his own thing. He was an innovator!

I may be going out on a limb here but I'm guessing the guys saying this are a bit younger. It's easy to forget the shred thing was not always around.

Anyways I didn't mean to get off track here. Back to the subject!

I agree 100% man! There wasn't a player that could touch Jimi back then. Rock and Roll officially began with Elvis in 1956. 10 or 11 years later in the mid 1960s Hendrix is tearing it up with otherworldly guitar playing...peoples jaws were dropping...nobody had seen a player like this or heard such guitar playing.

But like you also said...Jimi could play slow, beautiful acoustic pieces as well...or on electric...very melodic, beautiful stuff! He wasn't just the flashy, loud as hell, Marshall in your face player all the time. Another thing people don't realize...this was the era of 10 minute guitar solos... players like Hendrix (and others) would solo/jam on and on for minutes on end, This just was the thing back then...the style, an expected thing.

Jimi's playing was out in the cosmos...beyond earth. I understand why some people today just don't like his playing though...it's old to them. Maybe it just doesn't sound good to them...I understand that. But at that time he was an innovator, Rock was only 10 years old, and Jimi exploded, pushing it out there big time.

classicalmetal wrote:
He had some beautiful chord embellishments and he was able to take the blues and transform it into his own thing. He was an innovator!

He was getting into some Jazz type stuff before he died.

People like Joe satriani "get" Hendrix...for a good reason.

(Back on topic) My contribution to this thread is:
Eddie Van Halen (another GREAT innovator), Alex Lifeson (vastly underrated)...that's off my head for now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:59 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

RRguitarwannaplay wrote:
I LOVE RITCHIE BLACKMORE! People have always said I play like him but then when I checked out his stuff I found out why! He was way ahead of his time.

I love the majority of his playing from 'Perfect Strangers' and need the reissue soon!! :D

I can't just say one other player, so others that currently jazz me, aside from RR & JH, would be Jimmy Page (esp acoustic) Alex Lifeson, Dave Gilmour, John Frusciante, Johnny Marr, Gary Moore (metal years), Steve Howe and Angus Young. There are more of course but this lot get the most analysis for now 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:38 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

joekidd wrote:

THIS... and you're my favorite guital player Jeep. soooo dreamy :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:09 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

ibanez122 wrote:
joekidd wrote:

crazy kid. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:39 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

joekidd wrote:
ibanez122 wrote:
joekidd wrote:

crazy kid. :lol:

you'll still sigh the poster I have of you on my wall right?! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:40 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

where's my Sharpie, dammit?! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:36 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:23 pm 

Space Ace Frehley

Papa Het

Eddie VH

Tony Iommi

*r* *r* *r* *r* *r*