It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Scorpions calling it quits.........
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:05 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

German rock band Scorpions to end career
Jan. 24, 2010, 7:22 AM EST

BERLIN (AP) -- The German rock band Scorpions is bringing down the curtain on a career spanning more than four decades.

The band, known for its early 1990s hit "Wind of Change" among others, said on its Web site Sunday that "we agree we have reached the end of the road."

It said it would end its career with a final album — "Sting In The Tail," to be released in March — and a tour that will start in Germany in May and take it across the world "over the next few years."

Guitarist Rudolf Schenker founded the band in Hannover in 1965. Singer Klaus Meine joined a few years later. Both men are 61.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

German Rock Band Scorpions of ‘Wind of Change’ Fame to Break Up
January 24, 2010, 11:49 AM EST

By Benedikt Kammel

Jan. 24 (Bloomberg) -- German rock band The Scorpions said it plans to break up, ending an “extraordinary career on a high note” after more than three decades in the music business with hits that included the 1990 song “Wind of Change.”

The band, founded by lead guitarist Rudolf Schenker in Hanover, northern Germany, in 1965, will release one more album, “Sting in the Tail,” before retiring, according to a statement on its Web site today. The album is slated for release on March 19 and the group is planning a farewell tour of Germany and the rest of the world “over the next few years.”

“We are extremely grateful for the fact that we still have the same passion for music we’ve always had since the beginning,” the band said. “This is why, especially now, we agree we have reached the end of the road.”

The Scorpions released more than 20 albums, including 1990’s “Crazy World,” which included the hit single “Wind of Change” about the end of the Cold War era and German reunification.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Scorpions set to leave stage for final time

After 40 years of rock, The Scorpions are hanging up their guitars. But it won't be for some time yet. The German hard-rock band is set to release one more album before a final, three-year world tour.

The rock band The Scorpions are set to split up at the end of an upcoming world tour that will top off a successful and sometimes controversial career that spanned more than four decades.

A new studio album, "Sting In the Tail," will be released on May 15 - four days after the group embark on a three-year world tour across five continents.

On their official Web site, band members thanked fans and said that they remained as enthusiastic about music as ever. But, they said, the time had come to consider a change.

"We're not getting any younger," singer Klaus Meine told the newspaper Bild am Sonntag.

"We'd rather go out with a killer album and follow our hearts. We achieved everything you can achieve with a rock band," he said.

Long history

Guitarist Rudolf Schenker and drummer Wolfgang Dziony started the band in 1965 and were joined by Meine four years later. In their time together, the musicians have had four bassists, six drummers and two guitarists.

Singer Klaus Meine on stage at a concertBildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: Singer Klaus Meine said the group had achieved all it could

They sold more than 100 million recordings, scoring their first big hit "Still Loving You" in 1984.

Among their other singles were "Rock You Like a Hurricane," "No One Like You" and "Send Me an Angel."

Anthem to fall of wall

Internationally, the band is perhaps best known for the hit "Wind of Change," widely associated with the fall of the Berlin Wall. They were even invited to play at the Kremlin in 1991 by then-Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev.

In 1976, the band ran into controversy with the artwork for its album "Virgin Killer," which featured a picture of a naked young girl.

The band begins its world tour in the Czech capital Prague on March 15 with other dates planned so far in Switzerland, France and Russia. The first of eight appearances that the band has announced in Germany is in Leipzig on May 7.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group members say in a statement posted on the Scorpions website Sunday that while working on Sting in the Tail, out March 19, "we could literally feel how powerful and creative our work was — and how much fun we were still having, in the process," but concluded that they wanted to end their "extraordinary career on a high note." The statement continues, "We finish our career with an album we consider to be one of the best we have ever recorded and with a tour that will start in our home country Germany and take us to five different continents over the next few years." The first concert date is May 7 in Leipzig.

Last edited by AZFF on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Scorpions calling it quits.........
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:12 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Wow! This comes as quite a shock to me. The Scorpions are on my Top 5 of metal band's. I first heard these guy's when the Blackout album came out in the early 80's. The first time I saw them play was at the Los Angeles Coliseum in 1988 on the Monsters of Rock tour. I was completely blown away by their performance. I have seen them 4 times after their Monsters of Rock tour, for a total of 5 times. I am definitely gonna see them on this final tour. Hopefully at more than one venue.

I would just like to say Thank You to the Scorpions for all the great memories and great music over the year's. You guy's kick serious ass!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:52 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

This sucks, they are amazing. Hopefully they tour Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:00 pm 

I'll have to be sure to catch them one last time. Sad news. Their last album was actually quite good. *r*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:22 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Well that really sucks! They are a great band. Age has nothing to do with quitting to play rock music. You quit when something is missing or simply not working. What musician quits playing? I don't know of any. What are they gonna do now; get REAL JOBS? Please....You can always put albums out and do videos on youtube till your body turns to powder. Maybe 3 years on the road is not a great idea guys. That is sure to fry you out. Everyone worries about achieving something that is impossible to recapture. Play music because you love music not because you are trying to beat 20 year olds. Whatever man... +)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:10 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

c'mon guys .. i just don't buy it.. it has happened so often (they say they'll retire and then they say oooh we can't stop music is our life etc) and they're it is ... and they can't just stop ... i just think it's an commercial thing to get more people to see their "last" show ...

"People don't talk in monotone, and you shouldn't play guitar that way. Accent your playing."Randy said...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:22 pm 

Eikerberus wrote:
c'mon guys .. i just don't buy it.. it has happened so often (they say they'll retire and then they say oooh we can't stop music is our life etc) and they're it is ... and they can't just stop ... i just think it's an commercial thing to get more people to see their "last" show ...

There's no way any legitimate band would ever announce they were retiring and then keep playing....

... except KISS ... and Ozzy ...

*LOL*LOL*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:10 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Scorpions are one of my top bands and Mathias is one of my favourite guitarists of all time. BUt i do not blame them for wanting to stop, I mean they been doing this for decades, perhaps they just want a change of pace in there lives. Dosen't mean they will stop playing there instruments.

Though i would laugh like nuts if they kept touring after all this is over :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:45 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I've been hearing for a while about this news, but I've also heard that they'll be touring with Extreme and Def Leppard. Any light shed on this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:05 am 

As I said in response to your other post, the U.S. dates will be Ratt opening for the Scorpions. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:22 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
As I said in response to your other post, the U.S. dates will be Ratt opening for the Scorpions. :wink:

:wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:50 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Sting In The Tail is FANtastic!! Reminds me of classic Scorpions. Lots of energy and inspiration flowing through this album.

No Limit (Track 5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPdlDab-SkY&feature=related

Raised On Rock (Track 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w74f72Da4Gc&feature=related

Rock Zone (Track 6)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Wbp5EIKHQ&feature=related

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:14 pm 

I agree. I picked it up last week and have been listening to it and I'm amazed how consistently strong the whole CD is. If the Scorps really do retire, they're going out on top. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:29 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Scorpions have finally been inducted into Hollywood's Rockwalk. Can't wait for their action figures to come out! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-W1PLZTMQc