It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Who do you think are some of the most underrated/overrated g
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:28 pm 

www.nobitching.com Lets keep it light tight and bright guys. This is a thread regarding opinions. No need to bash anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:18 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

I've always felt that Rik Emmett is underrated. Not only is he an exceptional player, he sings phenomenally well, too - and does both at the same time!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:41 am 

PaulWarrenWolfe wrote:
I've always felt that Rik Emmett is underrated. Not only is he an exceptional player, he sings phenomenally well, too - and does both at the same time!!

I'll second that. Rik is an incredibly talented guitarist who can play many types of music. *r*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:34 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

overrated:
Kirk Hammet
The dudes in DragonFarce
Tremonti

Underrated:
Criss Oliva
Jeff Hannemen
Nick Cantese

http://www.myspace.com/righteousxindignation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:02 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Quote:
overrated:
Kirk Hammet
The dudes in DragonFarce
Tremonti

You forgot about Synyster Gates. Ugh that guy bugs me bad.

Quote:
Underrated:
Criss Oliva
Jeff Hannemen
Nick Cantese

I would add Nuno Bettencourt and Marty Freidman. I doubt that people would think they are underrated, I just wanted to mention them as they seem to be left out alot of the "Whose the best Guitarist" poles. Another one is Tom Morrell. That guy has some serious chops. Other than that I agree with your post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:13 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Overrated:
Slash
Kirk Hammett
Kurt Cobain
Synyster Gates

Underrated:
Buckethead (One of the best I've ever heard after Randy)
Warren DeMartini
Robbin Crosby
Izzy Stradlin (I know he's more of a song writer but he can really play)
Criss Oliva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:19 pm 

Ok I’ve been watching this thread for a while now and I have to make this observation, how in the world can Kurt Cobain be considered overrated as a guitar player when all I’ve ever heard from everyone is how much they think he sucks? *?

Seriously, I have never heard anyone use the words “Kurt Cobain” and “guitar virtuoso” in the same sentence. Clearly the fact that he has probably been mentioned the most in this thread as being overrated proves the very fact that very few think highly of him as a guitar player.

Bottom line…you can’t be viewed as overrated if almost everyone thinks you suck!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:21 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Sorry LoQ, I wasn't thinking straight when I wrote that, because I honestly think Kurt had same great riffs (and I definitly don't think he sucks since he can make better riffs than I can.:wink: ). But Nirvana in general was never my cup of tea, I guess I labled him wrong. :oops: And you do make a good point LoQ.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:46 pm 

MikeyRhoads wrote:
Sorry LoQ, I wasn't thinking straight when I wrote that, because I honestly think Kurt had same great riffs (and I definitly don't think he sucks since he can make better riffs than I can.:wink: ). But Nirvana in general was never my cup of tea, I guess I labled him wrong. :oops: And you do make a good point LoQ.

There is no reason to apologize Mikey. I was going to make my comment before you posted yours anyway. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your opinion or anyone elses. :wink:

The only issue I had was that Kurt isn't overrated as a guitar player. He's actually rated pretty low when it comes to technique and playing ability. I mean I understand the Hendrix/Van Halen being overrated thing (eventhough I HIGHLY disagree with it) because for decades and decades we've seen articles, books, videos, etc praising their playing, therefore rating them highly. So of course there are some who will disagree and feel they are not worthy of all that praise (me not being one of them). But I notice we don't see Mick Mars or C.C. Deville on the list of overrated players because their playing has been looked down upon by so many over the years, yet nobody will disagree that they are better players "technically" speaking than Kurt.

Now as far as songwriting goes, that one is a whole other issue and a debate for a seperate thread. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:49 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

LoQ wrote:
Ok I’ve been watching this thread for a while now and I have to make this observation, how in the world can Kurt Cobain be considered overrated as a guitar player when all I’ve ever heard from everyone is how much they think he sucks? *?

Seriously, I have never heard anyone use the words “Kurt Cobain” and “guitar virtuoso” in the same sentence. Clearly the fact that he has probably been mentioned the most in this thread as being overrated proves the very fact that very few think highly of him as a guitar player.

Bottom line…you can’t be viewed as overrated if almost everyone thinks you suck!

I agree LoQ, his fretboard skill was quite lacking but I have to give him credit as being a good songwriter. I think a lot of people blur musicianship and songwriting ability too much and we get odd results, such as Kirk Cobain being an overrated guitarist.. lol

http://www.myspace.com/righteousxindignation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:14 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Well, if im gonna throw my 2 cents in here I"ll make it count... :lol:

All the pioneers of their time like Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Beck, MSG and SOoooo many others are truely great players and/or performers we all love or love to hate. When it comes to a semi modern era, with Rhoads, Van Halen, Malmsteen & Slash. Again the list can go on forever because there are so many great players out there.

But the one player I would have to say that is probably thee most under rated guitarist/musician has to be Alex Lifeson. When ever I put "All the World's a Stage" in and just listen, it's incredible to think first off it was recorded in 1976 and it's LIVE!!! By far the best Rush album to date.
I wont go into other stuff like Kings, Hemispheres, Permenent Waves or Moving Pictures. (though I am not a big fan of the stuff after Roll the Bones until the recent Snakes & Arrows cd)

Not to mention that he's been over shadowed by what might possibly be the best rhythm section ever put together in Lee and Peart, Lifeson plays melodically and with incredible dexterity and was incorpoating classical guitar into rock long before any of the modern greats. Now lets talk tone. This guy has been on the fore front of tone and effects since the early 70's with his use of the chorus, flange, delay, muff, wah, echoplex and the memory man just to name a few. Rush is definitely a band before their time.

Can you tell I'm a big Rush fan :wink:

Ok, rant done :lol: