It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Who do you think are some of the most underrated/overrated g
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:26 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Who do you think are some of the most underrated/overrated guitarists?

Overrated:
Kirk Hammett
Kurt Cobain
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton

Underrated:
John Norum (Europe)

will have more later cbf atm

Post subject: Re: Who do you think are some of the most underrated/overrated g
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:07 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

The most overrated today are Amy Winehouse and Lady Gaga - sorry for mentioning them here, but there's virtually no place around where you can get rid of these two. Thank God I don't watch musical TV channels anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:19 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Overrated:
Eddie Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteen
Zakk Wylde

Undderated:
Eric Johnson

Post subject: Re: Who do you think are some of the most underrated/overrat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:35 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:23 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Saying Hendrix is overrated is the stupidest thing I heard in an hour or so (this crap is so common in the net :lol:). Hendrix revolutionized rock guitar in the 60s. Same goes later on with names like Iommi, EVH, Malmsteen and even Kurt Cobain, no one can deny their huge impact on rock music, like it or not. I never liked grunge or Cobain's sloppy & out of tune guitar playing but sure ain't saying he was overrated. How could he be when millions of people still think the world of him?

Underrated = someone I like but isn't famous enough?
Overrated = someone I don't like but is too famous or sold too many records?

At which point does an underrated guitarist turn overrated? Where's the balance or ideal amount of success here?

I think it's be better to ask which guitarists you like or not. These over/underrated discussions are just stupid and go nowhere
(and just threw some gas into the flames myself). :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:02 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Alex wrote:
OffTheScales wrote:
Overrated:
Eddie Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteen

But then again, your conscious intellect only stretches 2, maybe 3 years back, so you cannot possibly fathom the impact that either of them has had on the guitar.

How dare he post his opinion.

:!:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:44 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Alex wrote:
OffTheScales wrote:
Overrated:
Eddie Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteen

But then again, your conscious intellect only stretches 2, maybe 3 years back, so you cannot possibly fathom the impact that either of them has had on the guitar.

You Have A Point.... Let me change mine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:46 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Overrated:
Zakk Wylde
Steve Ray Vaughn
Kurt Cobain
Kirk Hammett

Underrated:
Tom Morello
Chris Broderick (MEGADETH) AMAZING!
Jack White

Last edited by OffTheScales on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:31 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:12 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Yes I'm sure I want to open this door.

I don't agree with his opinion, but it's his f**king OPINION.
On a public forum... which is made for posting your OPINIONS.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:04 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Alex wrote:
OffTheScales wrote:
Overrated:
Eddie Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteen

Alex, I'm normally right there, in laughing agreement when you call BS on some people on this board (usually the kids). But this was a ridiculous, and rude comment.

Being young (short conscious intellect or not) doesn't stop his opinion being any less valid than yours. I'm well and truely, entirely aware of the impact Eddie Van Halen had on the guitar, and Jimi Hendrix, and many other greats listed as the most influential players bla bla bla. I entirely agree, Eddie was one of the most single handedly influential, and revolutionary guitar players to have ever picked up the instrument. We all owe him a debt. But the fact still remains that, even in that, he is held in far too high a regard, if you strip the reputation away and just look at his guitar playing. I love Eddie, he's great, an influence on my own playing without a shadow of a doubt. But I too am of the opinion that he's over-rated. Especially by Eddie fanatics, who are obbsessed, and thus blinded to any other style of playing.

And thats just in terms of Eddie actually, reading Scales original post, Ywngie I would definitely consider an over-rated player. He has an impeccable technique, and that deserves praise in its own right, no doubt about it, and even his composition and everything is quite good, he is the whole package theres no doubt, but I think I'd rather listen to an arcade machines bleep and bloop noises, because 90% of the time, thats what he sounds like.

I may also be only 20 years of age, but believe me, I know enough about guitar playing and music, and musicianship, to have a very well informed opinion, and I won't stand for others having theirs taken away from them either based on something so ridiculous as age, get off your high horse.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:23 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:53 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

You're now trying to manage the agenda of how exactly we define over-rated. When the thread clearly just asks for an over-rated guitar player. If you're saying there is no bad music, does that make nobody in the world over-rated?

You can't just base it on reputation, because if we were, I wouldn't name a single guitarist in the world as over-rated, I'd have all of the pop starlets of today on that list.

As I assume was the posters original idea, I'm basing my ideas entirely off of a persons abilty as a guitar player.

Why in the name of good God almighty, would I judge a musician based off of his reputation, as you are doing, rather than his ability as a musician? Seriously, what would be the point in that? So of course I'm basing off musicality.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:34 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

:lol: :lol: :lol: Wow is Jimi, yngwie, EVH, and Eric Clapton really being put in the overated category :roll: . thats pretty crazy because theres a reason why everyone talks so highly about them.... Because their amazing. Each of them has done something groundbreaking to be praised as much as they are. I personally am not a fan of Kurt Cobain and his guitar work BUT i will say i respect him for making a whole new genre and anyone who does that is good musician in my book :wink: .

Overrated means to "rate too highly" and Underrated means to "rate too low". Seriously are any of the people that get talked about as much as they do (ex Jimi or EVH) do you think they are rated too highly? because i think they payed their dues to the music world and are still making new generations be inspired by them.

To be honest i think George Harrison is very underrated and so is John Lennons guitar work too. George's leads are more complex then people think and so are johns rhythms/ and occasional leads.

-27 years later you're still my guitar hero

RIP RR
1956-1982

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:36 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:09 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Alex wrote:
Mr.Coneman wrote:
You're now trying to manage the agenda of how exactly we define over-rated.

Don't we all have an agenda?

You are retorting to personal opinions, i.e. music you like and don't like.

Since this is completely un-true, the rest of your post is moot.
I already stated that I love EVH's guitar work and love Van Halen as a band, but Eddie, as a single stand alone guitarist, observing his technique without considering his influence and reputation - is not as great as he's made out to be alot of the time.

Dealing with your little scenario later in your post, Extreme metal is absolutely NOT to my taste, though I would never use the term "alot of noise". However I have a great deal of respect for the musicians of the genre, as there is some absolutely beastly players, especially drummers, in the heavier sides of metal music that I don't quite dig.

Please don't put words in my mouth. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:59 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:04 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Alex wrote:
Mr.Coneman wrote:

Is it? Did you not just say that you would rather listen to an arcade machine than Yngwie, hence considering him to be overrated? Didn't you follow up that quote above, saying that Eddie is not as great as he is made out to be, just looking at his technique? Am I seeing things? Should I ignore certain sentences?

You are just calling my post moot to ignore the issue at hand, which is your lacking definition of the word "overrated". You've stated technique and musicality so far. Is it one or the other, or is it both? Hendrix did not have a great technique, but he pioneered the instrument and did things others have not done before. Yngwie pioneered a genre, has an impeccable technique, but is not musical enough? Eddie pioneered the instrument, is musical, but has a lacking technique? What about Chuck Berry? He is certainly not on the technical side of guitar playing.

How do you define musicality? Is that not just in the eye of the beholder?

What about this song and everything in it? The album is considered to be pioneering, one of the greatest of all time, in fact, and is held in extremely high regard among extreme metal fans. It certainly isn't musical to your ears. Is it overrated?

It seems to me that you don't know yourself what exactly you are trying to convey.

THIS time a million

Calling these people overrated is pretty out of line. Some of the musicians that people have called out in this thread as being overrated have single handily changed they wa we look at playing the guitar. If that is the definition of being overrated you are truly retarded or just lack simple logic. Ive been on this board enough to deal with the ignorant comments of some of the younger people on here. Either it's a bad attempt at trolling, or they do not fully appreciated the music that is out there (which is what im leaning towards).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:50 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Alex wrote:
Mr.Coneman wrote:

Is it? Did you not just say that you would rather listen to an arcade machine than Yngwie, hence considering him to be overrated?

Yes, the rest of your post was moot, and no, the reason I consider Yngwie over-rated is because as a full package guitar player (everything he does as a musician) while he's great, I don't think he really deserves the hype he gets. My opinion on his music (the arcade machine comment) was said partly in jest (I own a few Malmsteen albums) and it was said completely set aside from my opinion on his being over-rated. You read too much into that one, but moving on....
Quote:
Didn't you follow up that quote above, saying that Eddie is not as great as he is made out to be, just looking at his technique? Am I seeing things? Should I ignore certain sentences?

That's exactly what I said, and I havent contradicted myself in anyway, I don't see what point you're trying to make here at all. I don't think Eddie is as great a guitarist as he's made out to be, just looking at his guitar playing ability, he is obviously excellent, and I'm a huge fan, and I can see where it's hard for you to get that I've been trying to convey that, all I'm saying here is that while he is great, he gets more than he deserves in terms of praise.

Didn't you follow up that quote above, saying that Eddie is not as great as he is made out to be, just looking at his technique? Am I seeing things? Should I ignore certain sentences?

Quote:
How do you define musicality? Is that not just in the eye of the beholder?

It's possible to believe in it that way. But in terms of putting it into practice, you, or I, can easily look at two musicians and compare them in their abilities, and if you go to extremes you will for instance in that case, easily see which one is a better all round musician. So while to some extent, yes, everyone will always have their own opinion on what music is good, and what music isn't, there still is a factual, cold, calculated way to say something is better than something else in terms of music. I mean, hey, I love the Californian punk band The Offspring. More than most metal bands, with far superior musicianship, but I would never call the Offspring better musicians, based on the fact that I like them more.

Quote:
What about this song and everything in it? The album is considered to be pioneering, one of the greatest of all time, in fact, and is held in extremely high regard among extreme metal fans. It certainly isn't musical to your ears. Is it overrated?

Not musical to my ears? Please don't patronise me, or put words in my mouth, we've been over this. It's not to my taste, no, I wouldn't listen to it, it's not my genre, but never would I be so pig-headed and biggoted to call it "not musical". Remember earlier when I said I had a very well informed opinion on guitarists, so I was free to give it? Well I don't have a very well informed opinion on extreme metal, so I won't run my mouth and try to pretend like I know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
It seems to me that you don't know yourself what exactly you are trying to convey.

I know exactly what I'm trying to convey, and it's that there are certain musicians I find to be over-rated plain and simply as a guitarist. I understand Jimi Hendrix, and Eddie, and Page, and Frehely etc have had a HUGE impact on the guitar and music world, and I will forever respect them for it, and I've just named four of my favourite guitarists by the way. But the fact remains that in ALOT of cases they get far too much praise for their literal musical and playing ability, if you look at it without considering their very obviously amazing reputations. Or can you not seperate the two?

Ibanez: I believe we should live in a world where no one is completely free from critisism, yes I'm calling some of the guitar Gods a little over-rated as actual players, I'm not taking anything away from them at all, I'm taking away from the praise of their fans. And believe me, taking the condescending attitude of "hey I'm older, I know more than you". Will never get you anywhere in a discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:47 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Coneman,

I never said it would - but in the case of this discussion it is infact true (and im not the only one that would agree with that). The younger people on here have shown time and time again how young and naive they are with there comments. Im sorry, but some of these people that are being listed simply because it is not that particular person cup of tea. If the is the case they have zero business stating am opinion. Like I said they are either trolling or just dumb.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:48 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I get that, I do. But that's natural, younger folk will be less worldly until they learn of these sorts of things, but condescending them and calling them dumb is not the way to go about teaching them. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:35 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Wow, has this discussion has been f**ked over.

Last edited by sudorf on Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:44 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Another Fun Post Ruined By The One And Only =D>
Great Job! Keep it up! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:22 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Let people post their own opinions on a public forum and this won't happen!
:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:25 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

RandyRhoadsAddict wrote:
Let people post their own opinions on a public forum and this won't happen!
:)

DITTO!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:35 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Alex wrote:
Mr.Coneman wrote:
You're now trying to manage the agenda of how exactly we define over-rated.

Don't we all have an agenda?

You are retorting to personal opinions, i.e. music you like and don't like. Contrary to how you perceive what I just said, my definition does not deter the use of the word, but rather the popular meaning of it.

I'll give you an example why I think you are wrong. Trey Azagthoth. Highly popular and influential guitarist, held in very high regard by fans of extreme metal, topping various lists. I don't personally know you, so I don't know what your opinion is, but let us play with the thought that you think it's all noise and can't stand it. Is this an overrated musician?

If that's the case, then how do you factor in popularity, influence and your personal opinion when deciding who is overrated? Or is it all in fact just based on a biased, pseudo-definition with no real meaning or value behind it?

He's basing his opinion of a musician on the person in mind's musicianship.

Being over-rated relates to playing music as much as it does to popularity when asked a question like this...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:26 am 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

Overrated is a category that applies to anyone you "feel" gets more attention than is really necessary. There are many great players that work their butt off and do deserve the recognition. Therefore, I will simply answer the part of the question that seems to mean more to me anyway. Who do I feel deserves more recognition? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Warren Di Martini of Ratt
Glen Tipton of Judas Priest
K.K. Downing of Judas Priest
Joe Satriani of Chickenfoot (or Solo if you prefer)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:23 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Who deserves more recognition:

Guthrie Govan
Greg Howe
Ty Tabor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:26 pm 
Semi Poster
Semi Poster

More people who deserve more recognition
George Harrison
David Gilmour
Jason Becker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:22 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I have never believed anyone is under or over rated; but I can tell you who I don't like, as his music leaves me freezing cold (I almost find his music offensive); Paul Gilbert.

When I look at the odds-Either millions of people are deluded and wrong (LOL) with Paul Gilbert- and I am the lone maverick who is right- or, the most likely answer; I lack something in me that appreciates him and it is me who is at fault.

I am being devil's advocate there with my reasoning, but I think we can all be so blindly certain about what our musical tastes are, their validity and wishing to enforce them on others, we walk the very dangerous road of the musical bigot when we start saying things are over rated or under rated.

After all, it would be a bit funny (and crazy) if you witnessed two shoppers arguing if tomatoes tasted delicious or were disgusting.
You would just think "for crying out loud! just different taste buds"

Now apply that to music.

Matt

I am away for a while concentrating on music; if you need to get in contact please follow the link above. Cheers