It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Judas Priest-Merriweather Post Pavilion-Columbia, MD 8-22-09
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

Saw Priest the other night and had a great time. Well, except for the torrential downpour that took place starting a few hours before the show that continued pretty much the rest of the night. I was a bit upset that Whitesnake had cancelled the rest of their dates on the tour when Coverdale’s voice went, as I had been wanting to see Doug Aldrich and Reb Beech ripping it up onstage. In their place we got Kix (who followed the forgettable PopEvil), which was kind of a mismatch, but still a rocking experience.

I’ve seen Kix and vocalist Steve Whiteman’s band Funny Money probably 50 times over the years and they still cranked it up, it just wasn’t as metallic as the crowd expected. However they were very well received as Columbia is pretty much in their backyard and there were a huge amount of their fans there.

The US tour is over now (this was the 2nd to last date) and as expected, they started the show playing the entire “British Steel” album and then did 7 more songs to wrap things up. Of course, a bunch of classics were left out of the set as a result of the whole “Steel” album being played, but they did throw in my favorite, “Victim Of Changes”, so I was highly appreciative of that. (No “Painkiller”or “Electric Eye” though. :( ) Glen and KK both ripped and were highly animated, Scott Travis slammed the skins hard all night (but cheaped out by not tossing any drumsticks. :P ) and bassist Ian Hill stayed nailed to his 4x4 piece of stager space he has assigned to all these years.

Onto Rob Halford. Well, as usual he came out in either loads of denim with lots of studs or loads of leather with lots of studs. Just about all of his 4-5 different outfits during the set must have weighed a ton because he spent a lot of time hunched over the microphone. :lol: I know his vocal range has been slipping over the years as he’s been screaming his ass off for so long and yes, he did skip some high parts and sing low instead through various songs. However, when they started playing “Victim Of Changes” I thought, “Man, how is he gonna hit the screams in THIS one?” Well, he must have been saving up all night because he shocked me and the crowd at the beginning and the end screams of the song by letting it all out and blowing some eardums. What a rush. *0

I wished they had played the entire “Screaming For Vengeance” album instead of “British Steel” but I do realize that may be an impossibility at this point. Yeah, Rob came out with the motorcycle near the end of the show but not for “Hell Bent For Leather” (which they didn’t play), but for “Freewheel Burning”. They only played one song off their latest CD “Nostradamus” (“Prophecy”). So anyway, it was a really great show and great to see the Priest still waving the flag and unleashing it after all these years.

Only downside to the set was when Rob decided to take his shirt off during the last song and the sound of a few thousand people gagging in unison. :shock: :lol: Scariest thing I'd seen onstage since Bill Ward did the same thing at a Sabbath show about 10 years back. :lol:

The setlist was:
Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Breaking The Law
The Grinder
United
You Don’t Have to Be Old To Be Wise
Living After Midnight
The Rage
Steeler
The Ripper
Prophecy
Hell Patrol
Victim of Changes
Freewheel Burning
Diamonds And Rust
You’ve Got Another thing Comin’

Here's the review from The Washington Post yesterday:

The album-themed tour has trickled down to heavy metal. At the Merriweather Post Pavilion on Saturday, Judas Priest played all of “British Steel”, the 1980 LP that is as important to the genre as the Book Of Genesis is to the Bible.

With that album the quintet that formed 40 years ago in Birmingham, England forged a brand of hard rock that was both macho and non-sexual. By the time singer Rob Halford broke metal’s “Don’t Ask/Don’t Tell” policy by coming out as a gay man in 1998, he had been wearing leather chaps and studded jackets for decades and gotten most of his professional peers to follow.

Halford, who turns 58 this week and is still all about the leather, kicked off the Merriweather show by delivering the opening line to “Rapid Fire”-“Pounding the world like a battering ram!”-in the menacing shriek that just about all metal vocalists try to copy to this day. Heads banged, devil horns flashed and lasers beamed as Halford and his mates pounded the crowd with every “British Steel” track in the order found on the UK version, and at a volume that could make a jet engine sound feeble. Guitarists Glen Tipton and K.K. Downing, also leather-clad, duplicated the twin lead licks and facial sneers that the crowd-made up of what appeared to be fans from at least as far back as this batch of tunes-expected of them.

Following “British Steels” nine tunes, Priest went through the more popular pages of it’s catalog, including the slasher epic, “The Ripper”, the closest-to-pop foray, “You’ve Got Another Thing Comin”, and a cover of Joan Baez’s “Diamonds And Rust” that not even Baez could identify as her own.

Longtime local heroes Kix opened the show with the sort of fun AC/DC-ish hard rock that used to make crows at Hammerjacks bounce. Kix was a last second replacement for Priest’s original tour partner, Whitesnake, after that band’s puffy-haired singer, David Coverdale, blew out his throat at a recent show. It’s probably not a bad thing Whitesnake didn’t make the gig, what with the godawful things the night’s humidity would have done to Coverdale’s coif.

Post subject: Re: Judas Priest-Merriweather Post Pavilion-Columbia, MD 8-22-09
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:12 am 

Nice post, Iron. I had no idea KIX was still around. :lol: It's a shame Whitesnake did not play -- their most recent CD is pretty good stuff.

How big a crowd was at the show?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:24 am 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

rickhawk80 wrote:
I had no idea KIX was still around. :lol:

They aren't around full-time, but have been doing semi-reunion shows for years now. The original bassist/major songwriter isn't in the lineup and never will be again. They were getting ready for another mini-tour right now that's why they were easy to get to step in at the last minute for this one show.

rickhawk80 wrote:
It's a shame Whitesnake did not play -- their most recent CD is pretty good stuff.

I hear ya, I thought the CD was great.

rickhawk80 wrote:
How big a crowd was at the show?

The Pavillion was packed and the lawn was pretty crowded too from what I saw earlier, despite the friggin' rain. I didn't look behind me much during the Priest. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:52 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I'm amazed at how Priest's music has evolved and grown, continuously from their inception. Tipton and Downing have yet to put out anything with lesser guitar playing than any previous albums. Halford still has an ace set of pipes to boot! Thanks for the post Iron.

http://www.myspace.com/righteousxindignation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:15 am 

Hey, Iron -- I came across a bootleg of the show you attended available for download here:

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/judas-priest-2009-08-22-maryland-89608.html

*r* *r* *r*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:12 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

they left out Painkiller?! gaah thats stupid XD why do everyone see Brittish Steel as a genious album? its ok but its not THE Judas Priest album in my opinion :O

Judas Priest are SO powerfull live! Scott´s drumming has so awesome punch! You should have heard that on Hell Patrol :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:50 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

rickhawk80 wrote:
Hey, Iron -- I came across a bootleg of the show you attended available for download here:
*r* *r* *r*

Thanks Rick!! *r*

ReXiX wrote:
they left out Painkiller?! gaah thats stupid

Yeah, I wasn't too pleased but that's what happens when bands do complete abum tours-some classics get left out. They have been playing "Painkiller" every year pretty much and they have been slipping in different old cuts that haven't been played in years (ie-"Hell Patrol", "Freewheel Burning", "Ripper") to try some more variety. Still, I would have liked a "Painkiller" thrown in there somewhere in place of one of the other tunes.

ReXiX wrote:
why do everyone see Brittish Steel as a genious album? its ok but its not THE Judas Priest album in my opinion :O

I don't consider it a genious album either, but a good one. "Screaming For Vengeance", "Hell Bent For Leather" and "Painkiller" are way batter imo. "British Steel" is the album that got Priest going on bigger audiences as they got a bit more radio play with "Living After Midnight" and "Breaking The Law" and started headlining the US. They did it because it was the 30th anniversary (well, actually only 29 1/2. :P ) and it is a little easier on Rob's voice than doing an entire "Screaming" or "Painkiller" album.

ReXiX wrote:
Judas Priest are SO powerfull live! Scott´s drumming has so awesome punch! You should have heard that on Hell Patrol :D

Yeah the band still kicks ass and Scott is still a monster on the drums. Yeah, really punched it on "Hell Patrol" and "Freewheel Burning".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:35 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Yeah Scott has really made the band modern with his really heavy and hard hitting playing =) One nother song you didnt hear was Sinner! it was INSANELY good when i saw em live some months ago! :)

Have you noticed that Glen´s fingers moves sooooo slowly but it sounds so fast when he plays leads? :D its really cool :D its a nice ilusion.

as you mentioned Robs voice is really falling appart it was soo sad on "Rock Hard , Ride Free" when the audience helpt him screaming the high parts in falsetto while he was down in talking mode. But he is still hanging on and creds for that!

It was SOOO funny that we stood in the front screaming "IAN !! IAN!!" and he was like " :oops: " like that one dward in Snow White! hahaha :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:51 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

ReXiX wrote:
One nother song you didnt hear was Sinner! it was INSANELY good when i saw em live some months ago! :)

Yeah, bummer. :( "Sinner" and "Painkiller" (plus "Rock Hard, Ride Free") that you saw are all on their new live album "Touch Of Evil" (which is from 2005-2008 shows), so at least I get that. :lol: When you saw them, was it on this "British Steel" tour (this summer) or the "Nostradamus" tour? Sounds like they flip-flopped alot of songs over the last year.

ReXiX wrote:
as you mentioned Robs voice is really falling appart it was soo sad on "Rock Hard , Ride Free" when the audience helpt him screaming the high parts in falsetto while he was down in talking mode. But he is still hanging on and creds for that!

Yep, he has been switching between his ranges in songs alot the last few years as oppossed to the way songs were recordedand/or performed in his young days. But, yeah, least he is trying and probably cursing himself for pulling off some of those harder recorded bersions that he has to try and sing now.:lol:

ReXiX wrote:
It was SOOO funny that we stood in the front screaming "IAN !! IAN!!" and he was like " :oops: " like that one dward in Snow White! hahaha :)

:lol: Well, Ian is always gonna be Ian and he has only two stage moves, but at least h holds down the fort. One of the funniest things I ever saw on stage was way back in 1984 when he came out to play the intro to "Love Bites" and he was playing a double neck, 8-string bass or those whole 4 notes. *LOL*LOL* Total Spinal Tap moment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:56 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

it must have been like the last part of the Nostradamus, Megadeth and Testament was support! and one of my favorite bands is Megadeth so i had the time of my life!

Rock hard was one of my favorite songs becuse it had such high awesome tastefully high pitch in it. So when i heard it live it was allitle dull but still! JUDAS! :)

But i dont wanna hear Bloodred Skies (one of my favorites) live nowadays! :(

Its so funny becuse in my old band our bassist was EXACLY the same. But he was the most solid bassit ever! so is Ian! And Scott is like a metronome, as Jeff Martin called him: the Eyore of rock and roll! :) Becuse he has that face haha :)

I like Judas Priests 80s stuff the most as you, but i feel that some songs didnt get a fair game becuse they where recorded soo way back in time. Like... Tyrant! its incredible heavy but sounds so dull on the record.

Did they still have the Nostradamus intro?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:54 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

ReXiX wrote:
it must have been like the last part of the Nostradamus, Megadeth and Testament was support!

Ah, okay that was the "Nostradamus" tour. Awesome triple bill. *r* I saw that same three bands together on the 1990 "Painkiller" tour. So they must have done a couple of "Nostradamus" tunes then, right? Likely "Prophecy" and "Death" (both which made it onto the new live CD).

ReXiX wrote:
But i dont wanna hear Bloodred Skies (one of my favorites) live nowadays! :(

Yeah, not too much has been played off that "Ram It Down" CD live till a few years ago when they did "I'm A Rocker" which I really liked musically but thougt the lyrics were a bit lame.:lol:

ReXiX wrote:
Its so funny becuse in my old band our bassist was EXACLY the same. But he was the most solid bassit ever! so is Ian! And Scott is like a metronome, as Jeff Martin called him: the Eyore of rock and roll! :)

Yeah, like I said, Ian may be limited and a it boring onstage but he he is solid and holds the rhythm section together. :wink: And Scott has always been and still is a beast.

ReXiX wrote:
I like Judas Priests 80s stuff the most as you, but i feel that some songs didnt get a fair game becuse they where recorded soo way back in time. Like... Tyrant! its incredible heavy but sounds so dull on the record.

I love the early-mid 80's Priest alot (well, through Defenders Of The Faith") but am HUGE on their 70's stuff as well. I agree alot of the 70's songs were a bit watered down on record and sounded so much better and heavier live. "Tyrant" was "ehhh" in the studio but killer on "Unleashed n The East" and live in 1980-1981 on radio broadcasts.

ReXiX wrote:
Did they still have the Nostradamus intro?

You mean to start the show? Nah, it started with the sound of pounding steel and they had a hologram laser of a guy beating steel with a hammer on an anvil (fitting huh?) then they went right into playing the "British Steel" album starting with Rapid Fire". After they finished that album when they got around to playing "Prophecy" they had the intro to that song starting it but not the operatic intro to the song "Nostradamus" if that was what you were reffering to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:52 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Yeah they where incredible! you have to know when the the triplets comes in a Megadeth gig thats for sure!

Funniest thing ever happend to me at Judas, this one guy like 40ish that looked like he worked at a bank or something came in with a t-shirt (FROM THE MERCH SHOP) and stood next to mee at front row and he called his buddies and was like "guess where i am... FRONT ROW AT JUDAS PRIEST WAAAH!!!!" haha i died... so later when the show actually started he looked soo troubled with people pushing to the front haha so he actually stept back haha =)

Heavy Metal and Im A Rocker and Blood Red Skies thats it for me haha =)

i got a funny story about Defenders Of The Faith actually haha XD me and our bassist was going to play a gig at a club and we where all psyched up for it and he took his jacket of ... and he had the EXACT Defenders Of The Faith t-shirt on him XD so avkward XD so he had to have his jacket onstage to hide it from lookin silly haha =)

Ah that sounds cool but not AS cool. I died at front row when the Nostradamus intro started man... those really huge bass notes that slammed you in the chest (twice as loud as megadeths whole set) it was just purely epic in a non-gay way!

How many times have you seen em live?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:26 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

ReXiX wrote:

This was my 10th Priest show.

1981 (Point Of Entry w/ Maiden (Dianno))
1982 (Screaming For Vengeance w/Maiden (Bruce))
1984 (Defenders Of The Faith w/Great White)
1986 (Turbo w/Dokken. The gig that the cult film "Heavy
Metal Parking Lot" was filmed at.)
1988 (Ram It Down w/Alice Cooper)
1990 (Painkiller w/Megadeth and Testament)
1998 (Jugulator w/Ripper)
2004 (Reunion w/Rob at Ozzfest)
2005 (Angel Of Retribution w/Queensryche)
2009 (British Steel 30th Anniversary w/Kix)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:27 am 

ironface166 wrote:
ReXiX wrote:

This was my 10th Priest show.

*? OK, Iron, so now the question has to be asked -- is Priest the band you've seen the most times in concert, or is there another? (For me, that honor goes to KISS, with Metallica taking second place.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:58 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Al Atkins was the founding member and original vocalist of Judas Priest and is now a respected solo artist in his own right.

Chris Johnson AKA as Curlylocks by me, is the guitarist :) I jammed with Chris in the Summer and we had loads of fun. The guy is all out metal!!

See what you think of Chris' band Al Atkins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0r7qxgc2F4

Matt

I am away for a while concentrating on music; if you need to get in contact please follow the link above. Cheers