It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: kurt cobain found dead 15 years ago today
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:23 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

RIP kurt
15 years already........ damn

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"

Post subject: Re: kurt cobain found dead 15 years ago today
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:44 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

RIP, but not much of a musician...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:18 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:40 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

ReXiX wrote:

Like previously said, he was a great musician. sure he was no guitar wizard, but still a fantastic performer/musician. Unplugged album is great. Please have a little respect and grow up some? Thanks

Right behind you, I see the millions. On you, I see the glory. From you, I get opinions. From you, I get the story. Listening to you, I get the music. Gazing at you, I get the heat. Following you, I climb the mountain. I get excitement at your feet!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:13 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

ReXiX wrote:

Dude totally uncool +) Kurt should get the respect he deserves. I mean sure you are a really good guitar player but bragging and talking sh*t isn't very cool. Kurt was a great musician and Nirvana was a great band. I mean I don't see why you would say something like that. IT is extremely rude.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:48 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

The post was started with RIP, which does show reprect, correct? People are entitled to their opinions.
Kurt couldn't sing, nor play very well. He could write songs, but his execution was poor.
He was also a coward who took his own life.
Think about it this way, the way he looked at his instrument and the way his life ended are the polar opposites of a guy like Randy Rhoads.
Tough luck he's gone, but that's on him.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:13 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

^
Exacly, i show respect to all that miss him and death is always awful.

OffTheScales wrote:
ReXiX wrote:

Dude totally uncool +) Kurt should get the respect he deserves. I mean sure you are a really good guitar player but bragging and talking sh*t isn't very cool. Kurt was a great musician and Nirvana was a great band. I mean I don't see why you would say something like that. IT is extremely rude.

Sorry guys, and i dont say that im a better musician than Kurt in any way... i just say that IN MY OPINION he aint a good musician. And yeah do dont have to be guitarwizard to be a good musician but he hasnt done any good songs in my ears and to be honest Avril Lavigne is a better musician... Im not bashing its just my opinion. Hope everything is cool man?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:54 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:40 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

OffTheScales wrote:
ReXiX wrote:

I dont think he was bragging at all. Many people have that opinion of him and while this is not exactly the best thread to voice that opinion in it really wasnt that mean of one. Ive heard much worse even from artist Metallica use to tell Kurt suicide jokes at shows.
Alex wrote:
whoopiecat wrote:

He obviously was a very depressed man, which most people seems to neglect. Just take a look at his lyrics, how he talked, or even his posture. Still not buying that it was a suicide though, as it doesn't add up, even from a scientific point of view.
Wasnt there some test dont that proved he could have been holding the gun because he wouldnt have been able to reach out that far?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:02 pm 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

xx123456

Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:12 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Let's keep this in line guys. Everyone has the right to their opinions...even though this wasn't the right place or time to voice them. Kurt was a GREAT musician. Have the ones critiquing him forgot what music is about? It's about expression and if he did it with 3 chords, sloppy playing and not the greatest pipes in the world well HE DID IT and still know almost everyone of his songs to this day. I don't agree with taking ones life either but, none of us are any of them who do and we don't know what goes through ones head in their desperate hour of need. Let us not judge others as it's not up to us but, it's ALWAYS been in God's hands. And as far as METALLICA they jumped the shark after Cliff died but... :roll: ...they commited suicide after And Justice For All. Just MHO. Peace.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:59 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Quote:
]I dont think he was bragging at all.

I mean he says he's better than Kirk Hammett and he may be but he makes it seems like anyone that isn't better than him sucks. :x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:13 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

While Kurt was no master of his instrument in any real way he was best known for connecting with an audience.

He was able to write some amazing songs that connected with the masses. By amazing songs I mean his lyrics, and the spirit of the music that it was written. Angst,power,depression, It was encapsulating in that era of time how a lot of people felt and his writing was their sounding board.

While Kurt was no guitar genius, he certainly was a great songwriter in the regard it connected with people in some level that was beyond even his own expectations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:12 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Rybones wrote:
While Kurt was no master of his instrument in any real way he was best known for connecting with an audience.

He was able to write some amazing songs that connected with the masses. By amazing songs I mean his lyrics, and the spirit of the music that it was written. Angst,power,depression, It was encapsulating in that era of time how a lot of people felt and his writing was their sounding board.

While Kurt was no guitar genius, he certainly was a great songwriter in the regard it connected with people in some level that was beyond even his own expectations.

EXACTLY! Very well said Bonez, very well said . =D>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:18 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Well, I finally came to that conclusion after years of hating Nirvana and Kurt.

I was younger and hated him being hailed as a guitar god. It irritated me to no end because he wasn't masterful of his instrument. Although people hailed him as a guitar god when he should have been hailed as a songwriting genius.

Songs don't have to be the most technical and lyrics about some ancient culture to strike a nerve in people.

It wasn't until years later that I decided to give Nirvana another chance and its just basic songwriting that made people latch onto Kurt. His lyrics were how lots of people felt and that is what helped Nirvana connect with their audience.

Lets be honest it was Kurt's dazzling guitar work or his ability to shred. It was his honesty behind what he sang and his emotion that went into it.Even I used to be a Kurt hater.

So, hope that helps shed some light on this thread about my feelings on Kurt/Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:33 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

The way i like at it is Kurt was great if you like the music Nirvana played..... personally i dont listen to it but what i must say is when they came out, it was ground breaking. Now i do say RIP Kurt but Im still confused how The Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists says hes 12th while Randy is like 85th. If i could understand what he was singing then i could possibly see how good his lyrics were. RIP Kurt youre death was tradgic even though well never know what really happened.

-Tyler

-27 years later you're still my guitar hero

RIP RR
1956-1982

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:36 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

some of the first stuff i learned on guitar was nirvana. particullarly lithium it was my tuning up song :)

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:10 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

ReXiX wrote:
^

Sorry guys, and i dont say that im a better musician than Kurt in any way... i just say that IN MY OPINION he aint a good musician. And yeah do dont have to be guitarwizard to be a good musician but he hasnt done any good songs in my ears and to be honest Avril Lavigne is a better musician... Im not bashing its just my opinion. Hope everything is cool man?

Kid, I get that you don't like Nirvana (I don't anymore either), and obviously think quite highly of yourself on the guitar (which you should, because you're a great player) but if you can't see that Kurt Cobain was a great lyricist, and an obviously capable musician (listen to the unplugged album) then I'm sorry but you have no clue about music itself.

Avril Lavigne a better musician than Kurt Cobain? Seriously, dude.

I'd still rather listen to Come As You Are than some soulless musician who would be listed as a *great* musician.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:29 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Mr.Coneman wrote:
ReXiX wrote:
^

Kid, I get that you don't like Nirvana (I don't anymore either), and obviously think quite highly of yourself on the guitar (which you should, because you're a great player) but if you can't see that Kurt Cobain was a great lyricist, and an obviously capable musician (listen to the unplugged album) then I'm sorry but you have no clue about music itself.

I'd still rather listen to Come As You Are than some soulless musician who would be listed as a *great* musician.

Well im not a kid XD Thank you, but seriously i dont think myself as high as yngwie do? but i know my limitations and Kirk is really falling backwards as example... i name tons of guys that is better than Kirk. Anywaay... yeah sure he had inteligent lyrics but music... no sir... im not talking about axwork or anything just he didnt have the chords and magic... this is my opinion but he as dimebag has really got that "hero" status just becuse they died... sad but true... sure both was huge when the where alive but when they died every note their played and everything was like printed in gold and a sign of pure genius... its a kinda wierd thing actually...

i still enjoy Avril´s music more than Kurt´s so Avril is a better musician in my eyes and ears.

Sorry guys! just my opinion!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:23 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

i can play every nirvana song on guitar and every KH solo on guitar. im not "better" than either one of them though. im just a lame ass mid 20's dude that gets off on playing other peoples songs =) if i was "better" than either one of them, id be out touring and selling records.

Right behind you, I see the millions. On you, I see the glory. From you, I get opinions. From you, I get the story. Listening to you, I get the music. Gazing at you, I get the heat. Following you, I climb the mountain. I get excitement at your feet!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:40 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

TKenn wrote:
Im still confused how The Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists says hes 12th while Randy is like 85th.

That list is a crock of bullsh*t. Randy was 81st & Ed Van Halen was 75th. As soon as I saw that I threw that magazine away. Rolling stone is just one big popularity contest.

ReXiX wrote:
Mr.Coneman wrote:
ReXiX wrote:
^

Well im not a kid XD Thank you, but seriously i dont think myself as high as yngwie do? but i know my limitations and Kirk is really falling backwards as example... i name tons of guys that is better than Kirk. Anywaay... yeah sure he had inteligent lyrics but music... no sir... im not talking about axwork or anything just he didnt have the chords and magic... this is my opinion but he as dimebag has really got that "hero" status just becuse they died... sad but true... sure both was huge when the where alive but when they died every note their played and everything was like printed in gold and a sign of pure genius... its a kinda wierd thing actually...

i still enjoy Avril´s music more than Kurt´s so Avril is a better musician in my eyes and ears.

When your disscusing music its very tricky. Music is art and therefore there is no right or wrong, theres no better or worse. Theres only what YOU enjoy. The subject of lyrics is really just a pointless argument because some people might identify with Kurts lyrics because they have had somewhat of the same feelings as him where as another know nothing of that subject therefore they arnt able to connect with his words. On the subject of how to determine whos better I always go to who has written the better song thats why I have to say the Kirks musically better than you Robin, nothing against your playing but Kirk has written some great music. If your talking technically speaking you are better than Kirk but until one you write a song as good as something like Enter Sandman its hard for me to say your as good as Kirk. Never stop Robin I hope one day I can say say your better than Kirk. Now come to America! :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:17 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Cole wrote:

ReXiX wrote:
Mr.Coneman wrote:

When your disscusing music its very tricky. Music is art and therefore there is no right or wrong, theres no better or worse. Theres only what YOU enjoy. The subject of lyrics is really just a pointless argument because some people might identify with Kurts lyrics because they have had somewhat of the same feelings as him where as another know nothing of that subject therefore they arnt able to connect with his words. On the subject of how to determine whos better I always go to who has written the better song thats why I have to say the Kirks musically better than you Robin, nothing against your playing but Kirk has written some great music. If your talking technically speaking you are better than Kirk but until one you write a song as good as something like Enter Sandman its hard for me to say your as good as Kirk. Never stop Robin I hope one day I can say say your better than Kirk. Now come to America! :P

Well said my friend! very well said!

haha i need alot of cash! and then i will come to you and play your guitars bro! ;D and then we can rollerskate to New York and LOL at my ex! *LOL*LOL*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:25 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Im sure I'll get slagged for this but, me and my good friend always say that 2 good things came out of Kurt's death:

The end of Nirvana and the Foo Fighters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:16 pm 
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

whoopiecat wrote:
The post was started with RIP, which does show reprect, correct? People are entitled to their opinions.
Kurt couldn't sing, nor play very well. He could write songs, but his execution was poor.
Think about it this way, the way he looked at his instrument and the way his life ended are the polar opposites of a guy like Randy Rhoads.
Tough luck he's gone, but that's on him.

Tom

Well said , and i 100% agree ..

- Ritchie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

avril lavigne and kurt cobain in the same sentence?
woah.......... *LOL*LOL*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:15 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

CliffDimeRandy wrote:
avril lavigne and kurt cobain in the same sentence?
woah.......... *LOL*LOL*

haha couldnt be anymore awsome than that xD

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:32 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

chill out what you yelling for? lay back its all been done before................................................ 8) *r*

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:18 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

Rybones wrote:
Well, I finally came to that conclusion after years of hating Nirvana and Kurt.

I was younger and hated him being hailed as a guitar god. It irritated me to no end because he wasn't masterful of his instrument. Although people hailed him as a guitar god when he should have been hailed as a songwriting genius.

Songs don't have to be the most technical and lyrics about some ancient culture to strike a nerve in people.

It wasn't until years later that I decided to give Nirvana another chance and its just basic songwriting that made people latch onto Kurt. His lyrics were how lots of people felt and that is what helped Nirvana connect with their audience.

Lets be honest it was Kurt's dazzling guitar work or his ability to shred. It was his honesty behind what he sang and his emotion that went into it.Even I used to be a Kurt hater.

So, hope that helps shed some light on this thread about my feelings on Kurt/Nirvana

He was a very talented songwritter. Alot of song writers aruond that era (i.e. Lane Staley) had some of the best lyrics you could find, and the music backed up the mood as well.

Like Rybones, Ive come to appreciate Nirvanas music more than I have in the past. With his death, he was made out to be some sort of musical genius if you will. Very overhyped in terms of that

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:26 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

whoopiecat wrote:

and why the hell was he a coward ?
do you even know what he went through when he made that desicion ?
didn't think so either +)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:53 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

MZA wrote:
whoopiecat wrote:

and why the hell was he a coward ?
do you even know what he went through when he made that desicion ?
didn't think so either +)

its still very selfish.