It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:14 pm

All times are UTC

Are Motley Crue, Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper, Led Zep, Kiss and AC/DC metal?
yes 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
no 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
some are and some are not 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Re: Amazing Metal Bands
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:35 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I think this is a good idea for a thread. People who like really heavy bands, I have been getting into heavier and heavier metal lately. So what are some good bands I should try listening to? BTW I found out about Opeth on these forums and now I get to see them in a month *yay*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:42 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

trivium
machine head

lauren hariss..... haha just kidding

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:55 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Demon. By your definitions is Buckcherry metal? :P

The bands you listed in your poll in my opinion are Rock and roll bands. Some harder than others but i would not consider those bands metal to any degree.

Im a HUGE kiss fan but...Kiss....Metal?? come on...

A band like Pantera is metal. I couldn't classify Pantera and KIss as metal in the same breath without wondering if I had some brain synapses misfiring.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:32 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

demon wrote:
so was Metallica for 2 albums. dont tell me that you people are going to start to say Metallica is not metal too! ](*,)

wtf? Metallica was Thrash Metal in the beginning.

Metal = Harder than rock
Thats a start ^^

Lauren Harris :D Im gonna steeeeeaaal yooour fiiireeee (8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:58 pm 

Demon, you asked and you got your answer. Can't help it if no one agrees with you. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:07 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

rickhawk im not complaining. everyone is free to think what they want but i still strongly dissagre. rock and roll to me is just elvis and the who and the beatles and stuff like that. anything after sabbath and zepplin is metal for me. the only band i can see you guys dissagreing with is led zepplin. kiss and alice cooper are very metal especially in there stage show. and how can you say that motley crue is not metal? even if you dont consider hair bands or glam bands metal motley crue may have looked glam but they sound very metal (most of the time)

can i also say that all of these bands in the poll had their own 10 to 15 min segment in VH1s Heavy The Story Of Metal documentary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:00 pm 

We get it - you "strongly disagree." :roll: Can't help it if no one agrees with you. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:54 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

like i said before im not complaining. just saying. you dont have to post the same thing twice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:53 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

So you don't believe anything rock and roll has ever been created since the dawning of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath?
Even though Led Zeppelin themselves are probably the biggest *rock and roll* act of all time?

Read anything anyone has ever written, anywhere, about Led Zeppelin, including what they pertain themselves to be. You're about the only person that I've ever known of to call them metal. Frankly it's just stupid.

You should take something from the fact that everyone else in this thread (on a forum about a metal guitarist, so obviously we know what we're talking about) disagrees with you. It's not a matter of opinion. You're factually wrong about most of the things you said.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Coneman calm down and if you read what i said before you would see that i said the only band i can see you dissagreeing with is Led Zeppelin.

i consider them metal. you dont have to take offense to it and say everything i said is stupid. different people percieve different bands in different ways. i classify these bands as metal and you dont. its no big deal. take a chilll pill.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:56 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

demon wrote:
rickhawk im not complaining. everyone is free to think what they want but i still strongly dissagre. rock and roll to me is just elvis and the who and the beatles and stuff like that. anything after sabbath and zepplin is metal for me. the only band i can see you guys dissagreing with is led zepplin. kiss and alice cooper are very metal especially in there stage show. and how can you say that motley crue is not metal? even if you dont consider hair bands or glam bands metal motley crue may have looked glam but they sound very metal (most of the time)

can i also say that all of these bands in the poll had their own 10 to 15 min segment in VH1s Heavy The Story Of Metal documentary.

Mötley Crue is Sleaze...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:09 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posters here are applying a different definition of what metal is from when the term was first used. Just because we have people saying that they personally believe this is what it means now does not make it true.

It would be interesting if someone would print some early articles describing metal bands of the past and try to prove those authors wrong with the logic they are trying to apply now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:31 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I can see people calling Led Zeppelin metal around their time, but in today's standards, no. AC/DC, I have always regarded as classic rock, not even close to metal. Just listen to High Voltage or any other cd and compare it to some of the earlier bands like Iron Maiden and all. I have never really sat down and listened to Kiss and all the others. But your starting to talk like what they do, look like, act like, and preform like determines if they are metal or not. It's all the music really, nothing to do with the people.
Me and you must have completely opposite views of metal. When I was first getting into Ozzy, I never considered him metal but hard rock. I've changed my views now, but I still don't consider those bands to be metal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:29 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

shanic wrote:
Posters here are applying a different definition of what metal is from when the term was first used. Just because we have people saying that they personally believe this is what it means now does not make it true.

It would be interesting if someone would print some early articles describing metal bands of the past and try to prove those authors wrong with the logic they are trying to apply now.

i never said it was true. i just said thats what i think. as far as im conserned there is no band that really just says there metal most of the time so its up to the listeners to determine if they are metal or not. no one will ever be right or wrong. its just personnel opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:42 am 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I was leaning cautiously in your direction Demon, not your argument over what you thought to be metal, but in so much as in what maybe bands where defined as in the past that many other posters are saying is not metal today.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:48 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Robert Plant himself never though Zep was metal. I recall in the history of rock and roll series Robert saying , and Im not quiting verbatium here, something to this degree:

Quote:
You woudl have a hard time saying zeppelin was hard rock or heavy metal. a third of our music was acoustic.

As with KISS. I don't think I can consider Shandi a metal song :D

Even though I like that song....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:57 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Rybones wrote:
Robert Plant himself never though Zep was metal. I recall in the history of rock and roll series Robert saying , and Im not quiting verbatium here, something to this degree:

Quote:
You woudl have a hard time saying zeppelin was hard rock or heavy metal. a third of our music was acoustic.

As with KISS. I don't think I can consider Shandi a metal song :D

Even though I like that song....

as with Metallica i wouldnt consider Nothing Else Matters a metal song either and i think we have all established that Metallica are metal. you dont have to play all of your songs metal to be a metal band.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:07 am 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

I'd call Nothing Else Matters a metal song though, it's just a slow/soft metal song, it's quite possible to do.

However something like "Since I've Been Loving You" or "Bron Yr Aur" by Led Zeppelin is about as far from metal as you can get. The only thing they ever done that was even remotely metal was Achillies Last Stand, and it wasn't even metal, it just had those parts with the drums, bass and guitar hitting hard all at once.

I'd much quicker associate Zeppelin with blues, or folk, before coming away from rock and saying metal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:19 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Mr.Coneman wrote:
I'd call Nothing Else Matters a metal song though, it's just a slow/soft metal song, it's quite possible to do.

However something like "Since I've Been Loving You" or "Bron Yr Aur" by Led Zeppelin is about as far from metal as you can get. The only thing they ever done that was even remotely metal was Achillies Last Stand, and it wasn't even metal, it just had those parts with the drums, bass and guitar hitting hard all at once.

I'd much quicker associate Zeppelin with blues, or folk, before coming away from rock and saying metal.

Its lyrics are sweet and nice, its slow, its soft. what exactly is metal about it?
Do you consider Hero of The Day metal as well?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:09 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

demon wrote:
Mr.Coneman wrote:

Its lyrics are sweet and nice, its slow, its soft. what exactly is metal about it?

Hero of the Day ends really awsome!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:47 pm 
Madman Poster
Madman Poster

demon wrote:
Mr.Coneman wrote:

Well lyrics are completely not the issue, you can sing about pancakes and lolipops over heavy metal music, and it's still heavy metal.
On Nothing Else Matters - I consider it a metal song because it's a dark and broodish song (I have no idea where you're getting this sweet thing from) just because something is played on a clean guitar doesnt mean it can't be metal. Plus it does have heavier parts, and James' solo is definitely more 'metal' than you're standard blues based rock solo.

On Hero of The Day - No, I wouldn't really consider that a metal song, but as Rexix said, yes, half way through it goes into a totally metal riff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:11 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

I got the sweet thing from the lyrics

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:15 pm 
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

demon wrote:
you dont have to play all of your songs metal to be a metal band.

no, but it helps ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:35 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

not really. some can be not metal like the two i just mentioned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:25 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

demon wrote:
not really. some can be not metal like the two i just mentioned

Say led zeppelin, they got songs that was a cornerstone of metal that came after that. but they are MOSTLY NOT metal (or not at all..)

And then take Metallica who is MOSTLY metal and has some ballads.

Its a huge difference

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:06 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

yeah i agree. thats why i said that i can see why some people dont consider led zep metal. but i still do. just give Kashmir a listen.