It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Anvil! The Story Of Anvil
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:41 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

Ive been hearing some buzz about this movie for a few months and it and this movie looks like its gonna be awsome. I have to wait until May 22nd when its in a theater near me. Heres the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT7v2nUcmek

Post subject: Re: Anvil! The Story Of Anvil
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:07 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

saw a commercial for it on vh1 classic. looks good.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:59 pm 

Read an article about this awhile back interviewing the creator of the film and it sounded really interesting. The movie was made by a filmmaker who was a big Anvil fan as a teenager and who got a gig as one of Anvil's roadies for a couple years when he was like 18. Years later he grew up, went off to film school, started a career, etc., and wondered what ever happened to Anvil and looked them up and was amazed to see they were still out there trying to make it. He was so astounded he made the documentary about them, and now they're getting some of the recognition they deserved back in the day. A great, very underrated band. *r*

Not coming anywhere near me in theatres that I know of, but I'll certainly check it out when it comes out on DVD. 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:30 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Like this is a real deal band or is this some really good acting to do a spinal tap spoof kinda thing?

It looks good but I just dont know about if its a real documentary or what.Id never heard of Anvil

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:34 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

real band. you probobly never heard of them on the count that they lost there record deal, had shitty managment and declined rapidly like most 80s hair bands.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:45 am 

As Demon said, they are a real band and they put out several albums in the 80s and have continued putting out new stuff since then. They're more thrash than the typical 80s metal band that gained popularity back then.

Check out some of their stuff online -- really good. Their most well-known song is "Metal On Metal." :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:02 pm 
Moderator/Admin
Moderator/Admin

demon wrote:
real band. you probobly never heard of them on the count that they lost there record deal, had shitty managment and declined rapidly like most 80s hair bands.

Anvil were not a hair band, but one of the forefathers of thrash metal. They were doing it before Metallica and were very popular in the underground metal scene. Their 2nd album, the 1982 "Metal On Metal" album was great and a classic as was their 1983 "Forged In Fire" album. They did try to get commercial a tiny bit around 1985 but put out a good bunch of old school thrash albums throughout the 90's and 2000's. They've switched record labels several times but still put out albums almost every year from 1981-present. Singer/guitarist Lips was a wildman on stage and drummer Robb Reiner was a double bass BEAST. I'll definitely see this doc.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:15 am 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

rickhawk80 wrote:
Not coming anywhere near me in theatres that I know of, but I'll certainly check it out when it comes out on DVD. 8)

Just saw it. Everyone watch it here. http://www.zshare.net/video/59600190824491de/

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:54 am 
Tribute Poster
Tribute Poster

Its an amazing doc.

i watched it last week. aside from the music stuff it really is a story about never giving up. you can take that message and apply it anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:39 pm 
Blizzard Poster
Blizzard Poster

so what was better? Anvil! The Story Of Anvil or Iron Maiden Flight 666? i didnt see either of them but i plan on watching Flight 666 on vh1classic tomorow and getting it on dvd on tuesday. (waiting...i hate mod-que)